Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much is the most you have paid for an item of clothing?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

Heard advert on radio this morning about a pair of men's jeans on special offer of €49.99 :eek: -

I admit here that I am a €9.99 Penneys jean wearing kind of guy. The least I have paid for a pair of men's jeans is €6.50 the most once €14.99

- The Most I have ever paid for a Shirt is €12 I think.

And i get pretty good wear out of a pair of €9.99 jeans from penneys to be honest , they are OK for knocking around in everyday use - would you really get any longer lasting wear out of a pair of jeans that cost €49 quid rather than a tenner?

(Hope this hasn't already been discussed on Boards or I will get it in the neck ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

Heard advert on radio this morning about a pair of men's jeans on special offer of €49.99 :eek: -

I admit here that I am a €9.99 Penneys jean wearing kind of guy. The least I have paid for a pair of men's jeans is €6.50 the most once €14.99

And i get pretty good wear out of a pair of €9.99 jeans from penneys to be honest , they are OK for knocking around in everyday use - would you really get any longer lasting wear out of a pair of jeans that cost €49 quid rather than a tenner?

(Hope this hasn't already been discussed on Boards or I will get it in the neck ;) )

That the most you've ever spent on a shirt is €12 is far more shocking than a pair of jeans being sold for a perfectly normal 50 quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I bought a coat made from the fur of a Siberian Husky.

"How mush is that coat " ? says I .

"How mush have you got " ? he said.

50 quid jeans feel better, look better and last longer. In my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

50 quid jeans feel better, look better and last longer. In my experience anyway

Well this is totally down to the jeans themselves in fairness, not the price. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I bought a coat made from the fur of a Siberian Husky.

"How mush is that coat " ? says I .

"How mush have you got " ? he said.

Here......let me get your coat for you :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'd always be on the hunt for a bargain but I never seem to find nice jeans for €9.99. Jumpers & Jackets too.

Don't shop in stores as find it too time-consuming & monotonous. Do all my shopping online (know my sizes) on Asos or MandM Direct, generally much cheaper anyway. Generally wouldn't pay over the odds unless it's for a good pair of kicks, trainers or shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I bought a Tommy Hilfiger tee shirt years ago in America. Cost about $200. Wore it about 5 times. I was about 20 and living at home at the time.

I was planning on wearing it a bit more than just the 5 times but my Dad saw fit to wear it one day while he was mixing concrete to pour a floor.

$40 per wear. Not the best value ever. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Probably €650 on a suit.

I look amazing in it though, like a slightly out of shape James Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

i have a few pairs of €600- €400 shoes,

a dress that i got for an event that was over €700 but i do wear it all the time. (well once a year maybe...)

edit: if my boyfriend asks though they were all 9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

elefant wrote: »
    That the most you've ever spent on a shirt is €12 is far more shocking than a pair of jeans being sold for a perfectly normal 50 quid!

lovely stripey effect one as well, think it even came with a tie in the packet for free, got it from Heatons I think - its a bleeding shirt at the end of the day innit :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I think the most was probably something like €100 for a winter coat.
    Oddly enough, I find clothes that are really expensive to not suit me at all. I've got a cheap body. :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think the most was probably something like €100 for a winter coat.
    Oddly enough, I find clothes that are really expensive to not suit me at all. I've got a cheap body. :D

How much are we talking here? ;)

Cannot remember the last time I ever bought a new jumper/pullover. My mrs is always on the lookout for me in the charity shops and clothes swaps , I say if you come across a good jumper with no holes and its cheap will you get it for me. Sure its grand after a proper wash, as long as no-ones died wearing it or if I dont think of anyone dying in it I'm grand sure! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The most I ever paid for something was €180 for a pair of football boots. Outside of that about €65 on a pair of jeans is the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

795 for a pair of shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Wedding dress €3,450 :)

Anyone feel guilty for paying a huge amount on an item of clothing when there are people starving and homeless and in poverty? Just asking like. Or do you just feel guilty for spending a lot after you have bought the expensive item(s) full stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

cocker5 wrote: »
    Wedding dress €3,450 :)

Hopefully the marriage won't last so you might get to wear it again.....

I'm joking, I'm joking :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

My wedding dress was about 1500.

Other than that, some jackets and shoes for about 100-150. I don't spend much that often, just if I really like something and I know I'll get good wear out of it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone feel guilty for paying a huge amount on an item of clothing when there are people starving and homeless and in poverty? Just asking like. Or do you just feel guilty for spending a lot after you have bought the expensive item(s) full stop?

Why would you feel guilty buying something if you've rightfully earned the money?

What if the item is for a person who is starving and homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No because anything I own is because I've worked for it and I'm not going to feel bad buying nice shoes, nice bags or buying an expensive candle because there are people having kids they can't afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I'd imagine that anyone spending ridiculous sums on shoes, etc is way too self involved to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You can't live your life like that. If you've worked hard and are successful then it's your money. If you want to give it all away, that's also your choice, but don't feel guilty about something you won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I'd imagine that anyone spending ridiculous sums on shoes, etc is way too self involved to care.

depends on what you consider a ridiculous sum...

your 40 euro could be a higher earners 400 euro...

I would always be on edge if I was wearing shirts in excess of 40eur that it might get ruined. Had plenty of cheap shirts ruined by bleach stains, fading colour in wash, rips, worn areas around the collars and the like... But they are cheap so it dont matter. I'd be having kittens if that happened on an expensive shirt I had bought

I would always be on edge if I was wearing shirts in excess of 40eur that it might get ruined. Had plenty of cheap shirts ruined by bleach stains, fading colour in wash, rips, worn areas around the collars and the like... But they are cheap so it dont matter. I'd be having kittens if that happened on an expensive shirt I had bought

Yeah most of those probably happened cos they were cheap and of lesser quality!

Not really, you can get bleach, stains, rips, fading colour on any shirt or most clothes no matter the price you have paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Ah here......Andy hits us with the sucker punch......

Advertisement