Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor/WWE Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've struggled to stay awake but I'm looking forward to this.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've struggled to stay awake but I'm looking forward to this.

Yeah gotta say I'm loving not having a 5am start time here.

Here we go though Conor is in the Octagon and here comes Nate. The line of security makes me laugh though, all very PW

McGregor's round.

My heart is pounding.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

First round to McGregor. Looking to take out Nates leading leg, dropped him once but does not wanna take it to the ground or brawl too much and instead wants it to go longer

2nd round changed half way through with Nate really coming at him after Conor taking the first half expertly. He needs to be careful though cos its not easy to keep that going for 5 rounds

• Advertisement

Conor's on empty.

Nate growing in confidence with every moment that passes as Conor tires and tbh was lucky to finish that round even though he is defending better.

Much better from Conor, soo much blood on Nates face and if Conor can avoid a takedown he stands a good chance here

1st round: Conor
    2nd:50/50
    3rd: Diaz
    4th: Conor for me
    5th: Probably Diaz due to the takedown

honestly im not convinced although the fans are overwhelming going for COnor but thats not a shock.

Mutual respect from the two afterwards which is good to see

That said the judges go For McGregor!

fair play to him and I would agree it's deserved.

"The King is back!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Fairly f*cking good performance from McGregor, not so sure he deserved it but well done. Needs to drop down to lightweight though.

• Advertisement

I think he will defend his title next but he did say that if Nate wants the trilogy then come down to 155 and it's on!

Apparently McG broke his foot!

I'm happy for him. I thought he was a goner but he showed great heart. Diaz was great too.

Worth staying up for!

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/767220202740322308
    I'm happy for him. I thought he was a goner but he showed great heart. Diaz was great too.

Worth staying up for!

Definitely, first time he went more than 3 rounds, he gets his win back and keeps his name super strong. He will continue to sell PPVs like nobodies business and his 2 potential rematches vs Aldo & the 3rd Diaz fight (at 155 this time) will be massive. After then there will also be a big demand for him in a new fresh fight too.

Now for NXT Takeover Brooklyn :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That was a great fight. Usually not a fan of fights going the distance but when it's a war like that one...had it 1,2 and 4 to McGregor, but thought two could have gone either way. Even if he'd lost though, it would have been the type of loss that made him look better going out than he had going in.

Want the third fight, but really want to see him defend his title and/or beat up someone smaller :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know the money is in the 3rd fight but at some point UFC have to put the foot down and try and make his title look respectable. It isn't worth ****e if yer champ won't defend it once in 12 months. Even an Aldo rematch is going to be big.

Great fight though. Thought maybe it was over with the takedown near the end but McGregor just fought through the tiredness like a monster. Hate the McGregor bandwagon but he deserves the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Just edged it I feel. Diaz bros always susceptible to the leg kicks, I thought Nate would expect it. Not quite Rampage level defense mind.
    Aldo fight makes sense as he deserves the rematch based on his reign & performance against Edgar, which was the best he looked in the ufc considering who he fought & he didn't fade in the later rounds. That cut will be killer for Conor but the early weigh ins may help.
    Anthony Johnson has adamantium fists, the USADA testing hasn't changed that unlike others. Him & DC again will be interesting despite the cloud of Jones looming. Rogan doesn't rate Punk much either :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Helluva fight. I'd agree Conor just edged it. After the first 2 rounds of leg kicks he didn't have what it took to finish and Diaz was unable (and barely tried) to take him down. I was convinced Diaz was going to stop him right up until the final seconds.

I think Rogan's passion for UFC has dwindled. His commentary last night was a series of "oohs" and "aahs".

Also, you'd imagine with the sale that fight bookings will change up to maximise revenue. I'm still baffled at the figure: for a business with such peaks and troughs it seems risky. Fertittas laughing to the bank obvs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Ageyev wrote: »
    Also, you'd imagine with the sale that fight bookings will change up to maximise revenue. I'm still baffled at the figure: for a business with such peaks and troughs it seems risky. Fertittas laughing to the bank obvs

I don't mean to be a contrarian, but that's how they've been booking for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I think McGregor's size is something that doesn't get mentioned re: his possible involvement with WWE.

He is a big enough guy. But throw in between Brock, Randy, Cena, AJ and he will look tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That 10 - 8 round score is a joke in all fairness.

Should have been a unanimous decision only for that stupid score. Was the judge looking at the right fighter for that round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

ted1 wrote:
    Because he gets paid well and wont get killed or suffer brain damage.

Cough Owen Heart cough Chris Benoit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Whatever about McGregor coming to WWE.

How have we ignored the monumental news of Undertaker signing to fight in UFC205 in NYC.

CtceoaLXYAEOvQH?format=jpg&name=large

I watched the press conference. That 'who the f*ck is that guy' line has to be the line of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It was a tremendous put down to be fair. I often find McGregor annoying but he nailed it there, nobody gave a crap what your man had to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It felt almost like a setup but nobody would want to be on the end of that line. Enjoyed it immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It felt almost like a setup but nobody would want to be on the end of that line. Enjoyed it immensely.

Probably receive a little bonus in his next pay pack for helping build up the event a little. It's becoming more like sports entertainment now days and wouldn't be surprised to see him fight Tyrone Woodley after he wins the LW belt in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,835 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He has been issued a boxing licence in California, can he box while still in contract with UFC? Alot of rumours of him and Mayweather

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I saw something about getting the boxing licence means he is able to get out of his UFC contract in someway if he wants some there is some sort of loophole by having that licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

That whole story is kind of fugazi. The US litigation system is such that they'd get an injunction and it would be years in court.

He's probably just trying to force UFC's hand to allow him make the Mayweather fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Aside from money what does he have to gain from fighting Mayweather as a boxer? He hasn't trained as a boxer in several years and there's been no suggestion that he was considered world class then. Mayweather would make him look stupid.

Advertisement