Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~~ Iceland megathread ~~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

fionny wrote: »
    Glad you are enjoying it! Ouchies on the price's! Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully by september the day / night cycle will be there a little bit.

I'd say the day/night should be OK in September much like it is in Ireland. The fact that it's bright outside just makes my brain think that another beer is OK!!

Today we did the Riverjet jetboat trip. Brilliant. 47,600ISK for two adults and two children. In the afternoon we climbed a mountain near Geysir because it was free. We're off to þingviller tomorrow which is where the European and American plates meet.

The landscape is amazing. Today it was raining a lot - like a 'soft day' at home. It looks a bit like the Wicklow mountains but a bit more dramatic.

Yes it's expensive but it's so unique that it's well worth visiting.

In Reykjavik yesterday I saw an advertisement for a 'Penis Museum'........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

What kind of money is the beer / wine there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

beer is typically 1,000 ISK

BailMeOut wrote: »

beer is typically 1,000 ISK

Ouch! Wont be going on the tear there so!

A carry home pack of beer (10x 500ml cans) and bottle of wine cost around ISK 3,700 from the off license.

Off Licences are called Vin Buðin and are state owned and run. Prices are the same in all off licenses. All are closed on Sundays with the exception of the duty free (in both arrivals and departures) at Keflavik. Stock up to the allowable limit at arrivals.

Drinking out can be as high as the ISK 1,000 indicated but a lot of bars in Reykyavik have a 'happy hour' with reduced prices. Happy hour can last for a few hours. I haven't been to any bars in Reykjavik so I can't say first hand.

I'm 100km from Reykyavik with kids so the off license suits my needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

Can anyone recommend a company to book tours with?

Reviews seem good for this one.
    https://www.viator.com/Reykjavik/d905-ttd?pref=204

+1, I'm going in beginning of November, just for few days, want to book northern lights tour before I go for the first night. And maybe golden circle for the second day.
    Because it's only a few days I think it would be better to book before I go!
    Any recommendations welcome

bubblypop wrote: »

+1, I'm going in beginning of November, just for few days, want to book northern lights tour before I go for the first night. And maybe golden circle for the second day.
    Because it's only a few days I think it would be better to book before I go!
    Any recommendations welcome

Viator is a safe bet anyway... and i just booked a whale watching tour via it... same tour company direct wanted 73euro each on viator it was 61euro... so happy days... turns out our hotel is 3min walk from the place also.

fionny are you doing any other tours? We are on a tight schedule and want to fit as much as possible in over the three days.

I'm looking at either the Golden Circle classic day or the southern Iceland tour or maybe both....

fionny are you doing any other tours? We are on a tight schedule and want to fit as much as possible in over the three days.

I'm looking at either the Golden Circle classic day or the southern Iceland tour or maybe both....

Thats the only paid tour we are planning to do, we have a car rented so we are going to do the golden circle and the south coast ourselves at our leisure... we will be staying in Hella and Vik along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

So we finally booked our trip, I'm so excited!!

We are going for 7 nights in March. We're doing the northern lights, golden circle, blue lagoon and whale watching. We might see about doing another trip when we get there.

We've booked our hotel room only so just wondering how much spending money people would recommend bringing for the week? We've already paid for the above trips.

dmm82 wrote: »
    nly so just wondering how much spending money people would recommend bringing for the week? We've already paid for the above trips.

does your hotel include breakfast? The hotel we stayed in did and it was excellent and really did not want to eat again until dinner time. Budget 50% t0 100% more for eating out as you would in Ireland and you are well covered.

BTW: Food in Iceland is excellent and very high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

No we didn't opt for breakfast. .. we might add it in later. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

Hi I'm going to book a trip to Iceland for next March too. Only just starting to do some research now. Is Wow air the only option from Dublin?
    Also, any recommendations on hotels? It's a special occasion so I'd like a really good hotel.
    Apologies for hijacking your thread too!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 roundone

Hi I'm going to book a trip to Iceland for next March too. Only just starting to do some research now. Is Wow air the only option from Dublin?
    Also, any recommendations on hotels? It's a special occasion so I'd like a really good hotel.
    Apologies for hijacking your thread too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes for direct flights non charter

roundone wrote: »

Wow Air are the only airline currently offering direct flights to Keflavik. They're a low cost operation but I found them more than adequate. Just be aware of the extra charges as with other low cost carriers.

For accommodation, it might be worth looking on Home Away or VRBO where you can rent an apartment - some even have private hot tubs! I'm not sure how the prices compare to a hotel but it's worth investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Is it cheaper to book trips online or over there on the day? Heading this month.

Meeoow wrote: »
    Is it cheaper to book trips online or over there on the day? Heading this month.

I would imagine little to no difference... only booking on the day you run the risk of no availability

Just booked golden circle and blue lagoon. Have one free day left, so contemplating either whale watching or ice cave.

• Advertisement

Just booked golden circle and blue lagoon. Have one free day left, so contemplating either whale watching or ice cave.

Where's the Ice Cave at? Is it a man made thing or natural? Might be something we could pencil in.

Never mind, was a bit far up for us, we changed our whale watching tour to Whale Watching and Lava Caves

Are you heading to the Seljalandsfoss Waterfall? That's really worth seeing and once there you can then visit the abandoned plane at Sólheimasandur which is close by. You also get to drive right past the volcano that caused all the airline trouble in 2010 (Eyjafjallajökull) and another interesting (for some!) thing on see on this same route is Bobby Fisher's grave at a tiny church outside Selfoss.

Where's the Ice Cave at? Is it a man made thing or natural? Might be something we could pencil in.

Lanjokull ice cave. Yes's it's man made. But it is nearly 300 euros to visit for 2 of us. I am thinking about it.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Are you heading to the Seljalandsfoss Waterfall? That's really worth seeing and once there you can then visit the abandoned plane at Sólheimasandur which is close by. You also get to drive right past the volcano that caused all the airline trouble in 2010 (Eyjafjallajökull) and another interesting (for some!) thing on see on this same route is Bobby Fisher's grave at a tiny church outside Selfoss.

I am not renting a car. So depending on tours. I must look these places up. Any tour operators you could recommend. I used Visit for my 2 trips but they are quite expensive

I am not renting a car. So depending on tours. I must look these places up. Any tour operators you could recommend. I used Visit for my 2 trips but they are quite expensive

we had a car and did not use any tour operators so sorry no help here.

most of these places are in this Justin Bieber video (including the plane) https://youtu.be/PfGaX8G0f2E

Five weeks to our trip and I'm really looking forward to it. Disappointed we are only going for 3 days as there is so much I want to do.

I booked a couple of tours yesterday.
    Day one we are hoping to see what Reykjavik has to offer.
    Day two the blue lagoon and golden circle.
    Day three the south coast tour.

Spoke to my neighbour who is from Reykjavik and she said the chance of seeing the lights are very slim at that time of the year so I'm not going to spend the 90 for the trip.

Has anyone been late Sept? What kind of clothing do we need? I'm guessing layers, hiking boots, warm rain jacket..bikini?? :-)

Just back. Beautiful country. So much to see.
    Golden circle tour brilliant.
    Blue lagoon good. Fine for half day. Gets boring after a couple of hours. Bring your cossies and towels as everything is expensive to hire.
    South coast tour brilliant. Waterfalls, black beach and glacier.
    I booked inside Langjokull glacier, but it was cancelled less than 36 hours before departure and I couldn't get any other availability at that stage. Reykjavik nice, one day is plenty to walk around it.
    No need to tell you it is expensive, but the Bonus shops are reasonably priced for water and stuff.

Weather is much the same as here. Bring a raincoat. If you have room, bring hiking boots, but you won't really need them as the bus tours only stop for a short while at sights.

• Advertisement

So I've been reading that there is pretty much no point in getting ISK out as its one of the highest card using countries in the world? Is that true?

they also dont have a tipping culture which is also handy to know.

Advertisement