Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~~ Iceland megathread ~~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

Just looking at flights end of Sept and they a really cheap from Belfast.

If we base ourselves in Reykjavik is it realistic to get the following tours done in 3 days.

Blue Lagoon
    Golden Circle (read on other thread that its 8-9hrs)
    Northern Lights

Anything else a must see/do for the third day?

(sorry for hijacking thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hi Guys, I was in Iceland last Sept for a week. The roads are very good over there. We rented a Citroen C4, it was perfect as their is carparks at all the attractions. Definitely rent a car with a sat nav as it will save you loads of time, our car was a 15 reg so had a built in one. You dont need a 4x4 as you definitely wont be going off road, if you do your gonna be in a whole load of trouble very fast. Gullfoss water fall is unbelievable but dont go too close to the edge, lots of tourists killed every year in iceland doing stupid selfies, the attractions would not be as cordoned off as here so you have to basically mind yourself.

The Blue Lagoon is ok maybe a little overrated, went on a whale watching trip left at 9am was back at 1;30 its pretty good. Went to Geysers one of the days about 2hrs from Reykjavik cant remember the name but there a must see.

What was the weather like in Sept?

Did you see the northern lights?

What was the weather like in Sept?

Did you see the northern lights?

Weather was very good, long days too. We drove out to see them one night but didnt really see much, its hit and miss. There is bus tours going out every night to see them but it all depends on the weather, was too cloudy the night we went. Dont expect to see what you see in the pictures on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Just looking at flights end of Sept and they a really cheap from Belfast.

If we base ourselves in Reykjavik is it realistic to get the following tours done in 3 days.

Blue Lagoon
    Golden Circle (read on other thread that its 8-9hrs)
    Northern Lights

Anything else a must see/do for the third day?

(sorry for hijacking thread)

Potentially see you in Sept so :p We're going ex Dublin with WoWair.

• Advertisement

For car rental is worth getting the

Gravel Protection
    &
    Sand and Ash

or one or the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

fionny wrote: »
    For car rental is worth getting the

Gravel Protection
    &
    Sand and Ash

or one or the other?

If you take it handy on the gravel road and don't park it where it's likely to be blasted with sand and ash you don't need either

Also on the satnav, HERE Maps has a fairly good totally free offline GPS option, I used it recently in the US and it worked out nicely. Would be even easier for Iceland as the roads are much simpler. Would never pay a rental company their extortionate rates for Sat Nav.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Also on the satnav, HERE Maps has a fairly good totally free offline GPS option, I used it recently in the US and it worked out nicely. Would be even easier for Iceland as the roads are much simpler. Would never pay a rental company their extortionate rates for Sat Nav.

+1

Advantage of using Here is that you can setup all your locations well in advance online before you get there so ready to hit the road as soon as you arrive. Typing in Icelandic names into SatNav is not easy and our car came with SatNav and gave up trying to use it.

BTW: we booked smallest/cheapest car via Nova / Budget and were upgraded to a very nice brand new Qashqai.

The Sat Nav on the C4 was child's play, just type in the location road name etc and bingo.
    I think the sat nav was handy takes the fun out of it pre planning every move you make with some off line maps app. It's only about €10 a day, that's the price of 2 drinks over there, like its meant to be a holiday not a money saving endurance trip.

• Advertisement

Why would you pay 10euro a day when you have a phone that can do the same job for free? that makes no sense to me. If there is built in satnav in the car then grand out but I would in my hole pay 10euro a day for something I have already.
    liam7831 wrote: »
    The Sat Nav on the C4 was child's play, just type in the location road name etc and bingo.
    I think the sat nav was handy takes the fun out of it pre planning every move you make with some off line maps app. It's only about 10 a day, that's the price of 2 drinks over there, like its meant to be a holiday not a money saving endurance trip.

Why would you pay 10euro a day when you have a phone that can do the same job for free? that makes no sense to me. If there is built in satnav in the car then grand out but I would in my hole pay 10euro a day for something I have already.

Free data in Iceland? You won't even have a signal

Free data in Iceland? You won't even have a signal

Suggest re-read my post re OFFLINE free satnav.

Just found a complete BARGAIN for rental for our dates Mid Sept

6 days (returning morning of 6th) Hyundai i30 or similar with CDW for 161euro on autoeurope with rental company Procar...

That is fantastic!

Holidays sound like great craic with you. Don't forget the packed lunch

Holidays sound like great craic with you. Don't forget the packed lunch

Oh ya we have great holidays last one was a Ford Mustang Convertible and you know what I brought my phone a usb lead and a suction mount in my hand luggage and saved myself 150euro. Personally and I think most people are the same there is no reason to fork out for something when its sitting in your pocket anyway..

But feel free to be nasty to people offering genuine advice on saving money in a rather expensive country.

Oh ya we have great holidays last one was a Ford Mustang Convertible and you know what I brought my phone a usb lead and a suction mount in my hand luggage and saved myself 150euro. Personally and I think most people are the same there is no reason to fork out for something when its sitting in your pocket anyway..

But feel free to be nasty to people offering genuine advice on saving money in a rather expensive country.

It's really bad advice though that's the problem, if its too expensive don't go there

It's really bad advice though that's the problem, if its too expensive don't go there

How in the name of jeebus is it BAD advice to point out to someone there is a TOTALLY free VERY capable satnav app available where for FREE you can download a full country onto the phone you already own and use that as a sat nav? If someone wants to spaff off cash on nothing then feel free but for those of us who dont want to wantonly throw our money at nothing at all then its very GOOD advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Feck sake anyone who needs a sat nav to get around Iceland probably shouldn't be left outside the door of their own house because there are so few roads. I drove around the whole country without so much as a paper map and I wasn't for a minute worried about getting lost

Feck sake anyone who needs a sat nav to get around Iceland probably shouldn't be left outside the door of their own house because there are so few roads. I drove around the whole country without so much as a paper map and I wasn't for a minute worried about getting lost

It does look pretty straight forward to be fair :p

• Advertisement

I don't believe he said too expensive, he said very expensive country. Which it is isn't it?

Anyone been there at the beginning of November? Going this year, just wondering about the weather, just how cold does it actually get at that time of year?

bubblypop wrote: »

I don't believe he said too expensive, he said very expensive country. Which it is isn't it?

Anyone been there at the beginning of November? Going this year, just wondering about the weather, just how cold does it actually get at that time of year?

This site indicates around 4 c

http://www.reykjavik.climatemps.com/november.php

Getting back on subject....thought I'd share a few images from my trip.

1zbrwxz.jpg

2wp5lba.jpg

dep3ko.jpg

9jiy3a.jpg

i27fvm.jpg

f1yzqp.jpg

2v0n85d.jpg

1534cwy.jpg

bubblypop wrote: »

He actually said "rather expensive"

The flight prices weren't too bad from Dublin but the 6am flight home was putting me off.
    Belfast is working out @ €165 return for 2 with £20 parking at the airport. Although it will be a 5.30 start heading out.
    Have you booked accomadation?

Great photos!!

The flight prices weren't too bad from Dublin but the 6am flight home was putting me off.
    Belfast is working out @ 165 return for 2 with 20 parking at the airport. Although it will be a 5.30 start heading out.
    Have you booked accomadation?

Ya the 6.15 return is early but sure earlier home the better in my opinion.

We have booked Hotels in Reykjavik, Hella, Vik and Grandvik (near airport)

Just remember it's a long drive from Reykjavik to the airport (~45 mins) and the airport is really busy.

BailMeOut wrote: »

Just remember it's a long drive from Reykjavik to the airport (~45 mins) and the airport is really busy.

Thanks, we have Grandvik booked for the way home which is 20min from the airport so we can visit the Blue Lagoon and be close for our early start but I might look into airport hotels instead to be even closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm in Iceland at the moment. It's a beautiful country. I'm in a cottage near Geysir.

I rented a Ford Focus which is good enough for most roads in the summer. I can see why a 4x4 is needed in winter months. No need for Sat Nav. Signposts are good and roads are few. No need for phone navigation if you do a small bit of research before you go.

A word of warning, Iceland is expensive. Very expensive. About 3 times the cost of Dublin. Coffee and a small slice of cake for four people cost €45 today in a place just outside Flúðir. A meal in a restaurant for four at Geysir cost €245.

I went to the Blue Lagoon yesterday and it was a touch touristy but very enjoyable.

It hasn't been dark since I got here. No night. It's 1225h now and still bright outside despite the cloud cover and drizzle.

• Advertisement

Glad you are enjoying it! Ouchies on the price's! Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully by september the day / night cycle will be there a little bit.

Advertisement