Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

failinis - god sounds like you've been through the ringer! I hope things start getting a bit sorted for you soon on the other medical aspects. I always find that if my body is dealing with anything else, my IBS is the first to go. I was told by my doctor that IBS was the diagnosis they give when they know you have something wrong with your bowel but it doesn't fall into any of the other noted syndromes (crohns etc)

So six months after finishing fodmaps, my life is my own again!! For the past 2 months I've not taken any meds before meals (which I had to since about 22), buscopan has been taken a couple of times but more as a "just in case". Bloating is easing & I'm feeling so much better. I've even been advised on how to try to introduce some lactose containing products into my diet to test my level of lactose intolerance. I'm a little excited about maybe being able to have some cheese or ice-cream (little things). I don't feel like I have to monitor everything I eat anymore & I don't worry about going out to eat anymore. Would defo recommend fodmaps to anyone. So worth it!

My brother said the same (about IBS being the "go to" cause for unspecified problems) - me and my brother are suspected of having a genetic condition effecting connective tissue, me and him have exact same gatrointesional problems (and other issues) so thats under investigation.

If they could just tell me what is wrong and I could ever find a bloody diet that would help, it would be like winning the lotto.

My diets been up in the air with that pre-ulcer, I finally am starting to eat normally but I previously had stomach problems with undetermined causes.
    :D I really am a nightmare for doctors. Lost so much weight.

Sounds fantastic, how far you seem to have come now, good luck reintroducing a little cheese or ice-cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

failinis wrote: »
    My brother said the same (about IBS being the "go to" cause for unspecified problems) - me and my brother are suspected of having a genetic condition effecting connective tissue, me and him have exact same gatrointesional problems (and other issues) so thats under investigation.

If they could just tell me what is wrong and I could ever find a bloody diet that would help, it would be like winning the lotto.

My diets been up in the air with that pre-ulcer, I finally am starting to eat normally but I previously had stomach problems with undetermined causes.
    :D I really am a nightmare for doctors. Lost so much weight.

Sounds fantastic, how far you seem to have come now, good luck reintroducing a little cheese or ice-cream!

Thanks! I'd love to just treat myself to it every so often. Before my lactose intolerance hit full force, I was able to eat both at times & just milk & cream bothered me. Hoping I can get back to that.

I feel you on the nightmare for doctors & the weight. I was so underweight at one point that I was told by my doctor if I didn't improve, he'd have to send me to a feeding clinic for eating disorders (even though we all knew I didn't have one) just to help get my weight back up. Luckily that didn't have to happen & I started to put on some. And I think I saw him every week for a few years. I'm lucky I like my doctor!

It's been 15 years since it all started & 11 since IBS diagnosis so it's taken a while but wish I'd known of fodmaps sooner. That said until it was at a level point, I don't think I could have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I feel you on the nightmare for doctors & the weight. I was so underweight at one point that I was told by my doctor if I didn't improve, he'd have to send me to a feeding clinic for eating disorders (even though we all knew I didn't have one) just to help get my weight back up. Luckily that didn't have to happen & I started to put on some. And I think I saw him every week for a few years. I'm lucky I like my doctor!

Oh dear!
    My family was doing "interventions" about my "anorexia" and being guilted because my stomach could not handle food, forcing me to try and over eat, and then vomit because it can't cope. :pac:
    I still remember one of my brothers taking me out in the car for "a talk" and just making me extremely depressed - no one believed that I was in any pain.
    Went to A&E and the dr never even felt my stomach and said "its just women issues" and left me crying, my fupping stomach is not down where my womb and all that craic is! 5 weeks later I was told if they never done the endoscopy it would have led to a bleeding ulcer and very serious.

My GP sort of agreed I was not anorexic but threatened if I could not pick up weight she would have to admit me. I now see a dietician.
    Since my stomach has healed, my weight has stabilised, but not actually gained? Stable better than losing. :rolleyes:

I wonder how common that is for people with digestive issues. Horrible!

Touch wood, I am not lactose intolerant, I feel I lean more to gluten intolerance and have cut a lot of it out of my diet.
    I have my fingers crossed that you can get back and used to some level of lovely lactose :P

Lol I had similar but thankfully not from family. My stomach would always be worse in the morning which did lead to my mam asking if, at 16, I was pregnant. My response was that if I was she should call the Vatican as they had another immaculate conception on their hands! She didn't ask again.

I did face it in school though when I wasn't eating much (because it was making me feel ill) that a lot of people thought I was anorexic. Then when I did start eating when it was getting better, they decided I was bulimic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

welcome! im not super active here as i have crohns, same thing really to be honest, it all comes down to pooping or not pooping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm at the beginning of a flare up I think. None of the usual go-to methods are working. My GI said that if it happened to go to A&E and ask to speak to his on call team. But I don't fancy hospital. I've gone so long without needing to go!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

sullivlo wrote: »
    I'm at the beginning of a flare up I think. None of the usual go-to methods are working. My GI said that if it happened to go to A&E and ask to speak to his on call team. But I don't fancy hospital. I've gone so long without needing to go!

I think no one loves hospital but if that's what the doctor advised I'd do it..

Have you ever tried magnesium citrate powder? Specifically the Natural calm brand. It has the dual action of drawing water into the bowel and also promoting motility, AND it calms down muscle spasms. I've seen it work on people where movicol did nothing.

Edit: Whoops just realised I misinterpreted the phrase 'needing to go' with 'needing to go to hospital' Sorry ignore the above!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I think no one loves hospital but if that's what the doctor advised I'd do it..

Have you ever tried magnesium citrate powder? Specifically the Natural calm brand. It has the dual action of drawing water into the bowel and also promoting motility, AND it calms down muscle spasms. I've seen it work on people where movicol did nothing.

Edit: Whoops just realised I misinterpreted the phrase 'needing to go' with 'needing to go to hospital' Sorry ignore the above!

Oh it was not wanting to go to the hospital! Must check out magnesium citrate!

Oh it was not wanting to go to the hospital! Must check out magnesium citrate!

Only if you're IBS-C, doesn't help much with D!

Oh lordy another week of cramps, bloating, and an inability to eat anything. I've been like this since Monday and as is often the case with a flair up I have zero idea why. I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. The only thing different has been organic pears but surely they can't be the cause. I have a cramp right across the middle of my stomach and a mild ache in my lower belly. Also my bowels are out of character :( Yikes.

Colpermin isn't working. Even drinking water makes me feel uncomfortable. So I have nexium. I just hope that works.

What do you guys do when you find yourself in a heap or do you have it fairly under control?

• Advertisement

Oh lordy another week of cramps, bloating, and an inability to eat anything. I've been like this since Monday and as is often the case with a flair up I have zero idea why. I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. The only thing different has been organic pears but surely they can't be the cause. I have a cramp right across the middle of my stomach and a mild ache in my lower belly. Also my bowels are out of character :( Yikes.

Colpermin isn't working. Even drinking water makes me feel uncomfortable. So I have nexium. I just hope that works.

What do you guys do when you find yourself in a heap or do you have it fairly under control?

I'm in a flare too. Can't get it under control at all. I can't put my finger on what is causing it.

I had a tummy bug about 4 weeks ago, I have had awful issues since.

I'm in a flare too. Can't get it under control at all. I can't put my finger on what is causing it.

I had a tummy bug about 4 weeks ago, I have had awful issues since.

It's an awful dose. Hopefully the pair of us will get a bit of relief in the coming days.

pears are high on the FODMAPS as an FYI.

hope you feel better soon though doll!

I was going to say about the pears being high in FODMAPS too. They are yummy though. Hope you start feeling better.

sullivlo - I always find it takes me ages to get back to an even keel after a stomach bug. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Thanks girls. I've heard of the FODMAP diet alright. I must have a good look at it.
    I bet it was the feckin pears. I know that pasta, bread, most soups, potatoes, carrots, most cheeses, apples, and anything fried are my triggers. Funnily enough I can eat icecream and chocolate no bother.

Oh and green pesto is a definite no no.

God I'd murder some curry chips :pac:

Thanks girls. I've heard of the FODMAP diet alright. I must have a good look at it.
    I bet it was the feckin pears. I know that pasta, bread, most soups, potatoes, carrots, most cheeses, apples, and anything fried are my triggers. Funnily enough I can eat icecream and chocolate no bother.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

thats so funny because when im flaring all i can eat are: pasta, bread, most soups, potatoes, anything beige basically.

I've been singing it's praises to everyone lately. I know that it doesn't work for everyone but I've been off my "before all meals" IBS tablets now for the past almost 3 months just using it! So happy :) But do go to someone for it because it can be confusing!

I'm so envious of the ice-cream eating ability. I'm going to trial run mature cheese to see how bad the lactose intolerance is and if I can sneakily have some (like I used to be able to).

thats so funny because when im flaring all i can eat are: pasta, bread, most soups, potatoes, anything beige basically.

Thanks for that link.

It's so strange the way it hits people in different ways. I've suffered with it for years. It's probably time I have another colonoscopy but I can't keep the kleen prep stuff down. Disaster.

OMG! I was just about to post that. I can't deal with anything remotely healthy unless it's in liquid form during a flare. Accidentally had some coleslaw. It did not end well. I basically live on beige foods and eggs during a flare. White beige food as the brown stuff seriously hurts.

I did FODMAP and identified trigger foods. I cut them out. Mostly.

I think my IBS originally began after food poisoning. I'm IBS-C and reliant on meds. It's usually mostly controlled - have a system. But something has set me off and I'm crippled and I look 7 months pregnant. I'm considering changing into a pair of shorts in work as I wore jeggings today and they are aching me.

My back is in spasm. My bowel is in spasm. I have brain fog. I can't sleep with the pain.

Taking colpermin but that upsets my reflux. Taking buscopan but that makes the constipation worse. Taking colofac which seems to help the bloating but not the pain.

I need some relief because I'm in bits. Running to the loo. Pain. Bleeding. More pain. It just sucks.

And it really frustrates me when people say "I know how you feel" when I say I have IBS. I doubt they do, unless they need yearly colonoscopies to rule out the IBS masking anything sinister, or unless they've needed hospitalisation for dehydration from puking, or had bowel obstructions from not being able to poo.

I just wanna curl up in bed. With beige food.

Thanks for that link.

It's so strange the way it hits people in different ways. I've suffered with it for years. It's probably time I have another colonoscopy but I can't keep the kleen prep stuff down. Disaster.

can you try the other stuff? like just try picolax?

yeah i can go out and have the dirtiest burger and chips and be grand. one salad and its curtains.

**** crohns (i know this is the IBS forum but its pretty much the same thing either way it all comes down to defective poops)

• Advertisement

I think my IBS originally began after food poisoning. I'm IBS-C and reliant on meds. It's usually mostly controlled - have a system. But something has set me off and I'm crippled and I look 7 months pregnant. I'm considering changing into a pair of shorts in work as I wore jeggings today and they are aching me.

I follow Mark Pimentel on Twitter and he's one of the leading researchers in IBS in the Mayo clinic in the US and he think a lot of cases of IBS are triggered by food poisoning. In fact there's a new test out (only in US for the moment) called IBS-chek that checks for the antibodies that would indicate post-infectious IBS. I know it's not a cure but it's nice to have a confirmation that, no it's not caused by 'stress' (two doctors told me this grrrr)

He also proposes that IBS-C is caused by an overgrowth of methane emitting bacteria in the small intestine. He's working to develop a new treatment for it which is in trials at the moment. Fingers crossed it will do some good.

For the meantime have you ever tried magnesium citrate powder? It's great for IBS-C because it acts in several ways:

1. It's draws water into the bowel softening stool making it easier to pass
    2. It's a natural muscle relaxant and soothes spasming
    3. It gently supports motility
    4. It has overall anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects.

I recommend the natural calm brand, start very slow with 1 teaspoon in water a day. If that doesn't do the trick after 4 days, add another .5 teaspoon and so on.

This is DEFINITELY not for IBS-D folks as it will make them worse.

But I do recommend vitamin D to both IBS-C and D as it's great for reducing all round bowel inflammation.

I follow Mark Pimentel on Twitter and he's one of the leading researchers in IBS in the Mayo clinic in the US and he think a lot of cases of IBS are triggered by food poisoning. In fact there's a new test out (only in US for the moment) called IBS-chek that checks for the antibodies that would indicate post-infectious IBS. I know it's not a cure but it's nice to have a confirmation that, no it's not caused by 'stress' (two doctors told me this grrrr)

He also proposes that IBS-C is caused by an overgrowth of methane emitting bacteria in the small intestine. He's working to develop a new treatment for it which is in trials at the moment. Fingers crossed it will do some good.

For the meantime have you ever tried magnesium citrate powder? It's great for IBS-C because it acts in several ways:

1. It's draws water into the bowel softening stool making it easier to pass
    2. It's a natural muscle relaxant and soothes spasming
    3. It gently supports motility
    4. It has overall anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effects.

I recommend the natural calm brand, start very slow with 1 teaspoon in water a day. If that doesn't do the trick after 4 days, add another .5 teaspoon and so on.

This is DEFINITELY not for IBS-D folks as it will make them worse.

But I do recommend vitamin D to both IBS-C and D as it's great for reducing all round bowel inflammation.

Yeah, magnesium citrate gave me horrific cramps. It was not pleasant. My tummy is weird. Even though it's IBS-C, everything that comes out is D.

My original GI is heavily involved in research. In fact he also works in Mayo Clinic now. He was involved in developing reselor and alflorex. And other drugs too.

I did my PhD in digestion and collaborated a bit with him. Interesting having project meetings mid colonoscopy ;)

I've researched getting SIBO testing done in Ireland but haven't had much joy. Lots of my issue is caused by problems in my small intestine. I also have adhesions which is great craic.

Yeah, magnesium citrate gave me horrific cramps. It was not pleasant. My tummy is weird. Even though it's IBS-C, everything that comes out is D.

My original GI is heavily involved in research. In fact he also works in Mayo Clinic now. He was involved in developing reselor and alflorex. And other drugs too.

I did my PhD in digestion and collaborated a bit with him. Interesting having project meetings mid colonoscopy ;)

I've researched getting SIBO testing done in Ireland but haven't had much joy. Lots of my issue is caused by problems in my small intestine. I also have adhesions which is great craic.

Jaysus, that sounds super tough, so your all up to date on the research then! You can get a remote test for SIBO. I did the glucose test for this one:

http://www.metsol.com/hydrogen-breath-test/small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth/

They don't allow auto ordering to Ireland but you can email them they are lovely to deal with.

It turned out negative and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have done the lactulose one instead. But even the breath test doesn't have exceptional accuracy.

While I'm throwing it out there have you tried krill oil? Worked a treat for me in an IBS-D flare.

There's some early studies on it for crohn's that look positive.

yeah i dunno about krill oil im fierce weary of alternative therapy... had a bad experience with reflexology a few years ago.

yeah i dunno about krill oil im fierce weary of alternative therapy... had a bad experience with reflexology a few years ago.

I'm the exact same with alternative treatments, however there is actually a trial ongoing in Cork on the effect of omega 3 fatty acids in reducing IBS symptoms. More for IBS-D though.

I have tried O3FA to no avail.

Just a note on krill oil. I spent 2 years working on the food that they eat (phytoplankton) and the effects that they have on inflammatory conditions (colitis being one), so I know how they work. And we did see positive results. So whilst krill is "alternative", there is sound science behind it.

You'd swear I actively seek out digestive themed jobs. I don't. I swear. The current one is vaccines.

We do use ecoli though, which is found in poo. That's the only link :)

I'm the exact same with alternative treatments, however there is actually a trial ongoing in Cork
    yeah my specialist is working on it
    Just a note on krill oil. I spent 2 years working on the food that they eat (phytoplankton) and the effects that they have on inflammatory conditions (colitis being one), so I know how they work. And we did see positive results. So whilst krill is "alternative", there is sound science behind it.
    yeah my dad took it for arthritis for a bit and it did work.
    i dunno im sticking with the drugs and peppermint tea

While I'm throwing it out there have you tried krill oil? Worked a treat for me in an IBS-D flare.

There's some early studies on it for crohn's that look positive.

For chrons it's the other compounds in krill that work rather than the oil. Similar compounds can be found in other foods, but I haven't tried them.

The pathway involved is a tricky one. It shouldn't really reduce inflammation, but it does. However it also has an effect on the CNS and is linked to Alzheimer's, so lots more work is needed before recommending it as a treatment.

For chrons it's the other compounds in krill that work rather than the oil. Similar compounds can be found in other foods, but I haven't tried them.

The pathway involved is a tricky one. It shouldn't really reduce inflammation, but it does. However it also has an effect on the CNS and is linked to Alzheimer's, so lots more work is needed before recommending it as a treatment.

Ya krill oil is fascinating, look forward to seeing more research on it.

Can you post the link to the research linking it to Alzheimer's? All the research I've seen have indicated the phospholipids should be beneficial for brain disorders.

I don't know if krill oil counts as an 'alternative therapy' any more than peppermint tea does. In any case I'd only recommend a short course of 3-4 weeks to overcome a flare, it's not a stay on it for the rest of your life style thing.

• Advertisement

Ya krill oil is fascinating, look forward to seeing more research on it.

Can you post the link to the research linking it to Alzheimer's? All the research I've seen have indicated the phospholipids should be beneficial for brain disorders.

I don't know if krill oil counts as an 'alternative therapy' any more than peppermint tea does. In any case I'd only recommend a short course of 3-4 weeks to overcome a flare, it's not a stay on it for the rest of your life style thing.

It's not the phospholipids that cause it. I'm gone from work now but I'll try remember to link it on Monday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement