Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS

Options
1235»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

sullivlo wrote: »
    It's not the phospholipids that cause it. I'm gone from work now but I'll try remember to link it on Monday :)

Thanks! I'm wary about any drug or supplement long term. But goddamn if krill oil didn't save my (metaphorical) life a few times. Wouldn't be staying on it for years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I don't know if krill oil counts as an 'alternative therapy' any more than peppermint tea does. In any case I'd only recommend a short course of 3-4 weeks to overcome a flare, it's not a stay on it for the rest of your life style thing.
    It's not so much the alternative thing that I use peppermint tea I just don't drink tea or coffee so peppermint tea is the only thing I can stomach during a flare

It's not so much the alternative thing that I use peppermint tea I just don't drink tea or coffee so peppermint tea is the only thing I can stomach during a flare

Oh I love peppermint tea too, I find caffeine very irritating to my digestion which is a shame 'cos I used to be a coffee fiend.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Emmaline81

I have suffered with IBS for many years now and find that the irritants are many and varied and change almost weekly. Sometimes I can eat something spicy but then another time it will affect me really badly so far better to avoid than chance a flare up. :'(

I think the best way forward is everything in moderation or perhaps just a taster. :happy:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I may need to admit defeat and make an appointment with my doctor. I'm not getting any relief from the spasms, bloating and pain. I'm in a tricky position - if I don't take my meds I don't go (missing one day meant not going for almost 6 days), but if I do take them I'm running to the loo every 20 mins and that hurts like crazy.

I actually wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!!! Lying in bed willing myself to get dressed and cycle to work, but I know that the repetitive movement of cycling will hurt my tummy. Trying to think what I can eat for breakfast - I usually have porridge but anything with fibre is agony. I can't have cereal and milk as milk aggrevates my reflux when I'm in a flare so I tend to throw things back up if they're too milky.

Gah!

• Advertisement

Trying to think what I can eat for breakfast - I usually have porridge but anything with fibre is agony. I can't have cereal and milk as milk aggrevates my reflux when I'm in a flare so I tend to throw things back up if they're too milky.

Gah!

i tend to stick to beige food during a flare Sullivlo, toast, mash potato, rice.

the beiger the better, hope your okay.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Ah yeah, I'm all about the beige. Plain chicken and pasta (doesn't hurt me!) for dinner. It just seems like an odd breakfast :pac:

Ah yeah, I'm all about the beige. Plain chicken and pasta (doesn't hurt me!) for dinner. It just seems like an odd breakfast :pac:

tuc crackers?

dry cereal, plain rice kripsies is one i have alot, just to settle my stomach.

toast, bread and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I swear by dry cornflakes (with a little bit of sugar) during a really bad flare.

But yeah I'm also all about the beige when it's bad - waffles, chicken nuggets or burgers, rice, plain pasta, crackers. You think it would make me hate these foods but I still love them! To me they're almost comfort food at this point!

For me I always resort to scrambled eggs and tomato soup when nothing will stay down. I haven't reached that stage yet so hopefully I don't.

Will stick to the beige today - chicken sambo!

• Advertisement

For me I always resort to scrambled eggs and tomato soup when nothing will stay down. I haven't reached that stage yet so hopefully I don't.

Will stick to the beige today - chicken sambo!

im the same with eggs only the whites though cant do tomato soup coz of the acidity.

broth, bovril helps if im really hungry and it sounds gross but bread and butter with some gravy is actually tasty.

I may need to admit defeat and make an appointment with my doctor. I'm not getting any relief from the spasms, bloating and pain. I'm in a tricky position - if I don't take my meds I don't go (missing one day meant not going for almost 6 days), but if I do take them I'm running to the loo every 20 mins and that hurts like crazy.

I actually wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!!! Lying in bed willing myself to get dressed and cycle to work, but I know that the repetitive movement of cycling will hurt my tummy. Trying to think what I can eat for breakfast - I usually have porridge but anything with fibre is agony. I can't have cereal and milk as milk aggrevates my reflux when I'm in a flare so I tend to throw things back up if they're too milky.

Gah!

That sucks. Have you ever found a pattern for what triggers a flare for you? I was dying all day yesterday, my whole disgestive system just seemed sore, even my go to bland foods of chicken rice and popcorn seemed to irritate.

Wake up this morning, absolutely fine. Like yesterday never happened.

That sucks. Have you ever found a pattern for what triggers a flare for you? I was dying all day yesterday, my whole disgestive system just seemed sore, even my go to bland foods of chicken rice and popcorn seemed to irritate.

Wake up this morning, absolutely fine. Like yesterday never happened.
    Tummy hasn't been right since I had a tummy bug a few weeks back. I think that was the initial trigger.

Then I probably didn't help myself in some of what I ate while recouperating - I ate a lot of salads because of the good weather.

Salads are normally okay, but with my system already under strain it was probably silly of me to challenge it.

And in terms of why it won't calm down... I don't really know. I have been really busy in work and doing a lot of cycling. I've been a little bit stressed too. Usually I get a few hours of downtime over a week/weekend, but that doesn't seem to have happened recently. I think I just need a few days off to chill and try get myself sorted. Go on the eggs and tomato soup diet to give my system a chance to get back on track without having to work too hard.

And in terms of why it won't calm down... I don't really know. I have been really busy in work and doing a lot of cycling. I've been a little bit stressed too. Usually I get a few hours of downtime over a week/weekend, but that doesn't seem to have happened recently. I think I just need a few days off to chill and try get myself sorted. Go on the eggs and tomato soup diet to give my system a chance to get back on track without having to work too hard.

Yeah, stress definitely doesn't help. It's funny how we are all different though, eggs are one of the first things I become intolerant to when in a flare. It's the dead giveaway as I manage fine with them when healthy (and I love eggs!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement