Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stand by for Titanfall...2!

• 11-04-2016 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

As you know, we have an advertising deal with EA and the will send us stuff every now and again. Well today I got this in an email.

Now I know that the first Titanfall had some mixed reviews, but I can hand on my heart say that I really loved it. The gun-play was quite satisfying ala COD (no surprise as it was ex IW staff that built it). I thought the fluidity of the movement of the pilots with the jet pack and wall running was the stand out feature (and they got it to market ahead of CoD: AW that year) and the stomp stomp feeling of piloting a Titan just felt cool - I was yearning for a controller like Steel Battalion to move around the place :)

The lack of variety in the weapons was quite disappointing, but understandable and I don't think any "archetype" was left empty on the checklist of weapons you'd expect (except the bow and arrow which seems to have been shoehorned into every game ever now).

ANYWAY, why am I posting this? I really liked the first one and I hope this second one does well. Whilst I'm not sure what sorta plan EA has for the marketing of this title, or whether or not we're even a part of it, I figured if I got a bitta buzz going, we can go back to them and say "hey, give us some stuff to share with our members, they're all dead keen!" I won't lie, it may not work, but at least we tried :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have very little time for competitive multiplayer games. AAA games hold increasingly little appeal too. But no mistake: I ****ing loved Titanfall. Spent lots of time with it on 360 and PC, and outside of Platinum games I really struggle to think of many games that feel so utterly satisfying to play. The flow and pace of games was just right. It helped that, unlike most online FPS games, I was actually good at it :pac:

I know there were plenty of complaints about the lack of singleplayer, and there's plenty of rumours that will be 'rectified' this time. But part of me thinks that's a real shame. In a world where most mainstream FPS titles come bundled with utterly mediocre campaign modes that aren't worth the six hours you spend with them, I found it seriously refreshing that the care and energy was put into getting Titanfall's MP just right. And they did, and frankly I think the results were quite discernible compared to titles that have had resources diverted elsewhere (don't have to look far beyond EA's own catalogue for that). Happily put 30-40+ hours into the game, and still get a hankering to play more. Maybe now that they managed to get the core experience so right they have the time to put together something worthwhile and substantial campaign wise. But yeah I'd go as far as saying I kinda hope they don't, and manage to retain the beautiful purity of the first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Im excited for this, as Johnny said I dont see a need for single player unless the usual formula is changed - I hate the go here, do this, shoot that, HURRY! campaign.

The first one got a lot of things right but a few things wrong, if the soldiers AI is better and there is more maps Ill be very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hope it hasn't got 5 minute long load screens between maps like the original

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to seeing what they can do with this. Titanfall has some great ideas, but just didn't seem to hold peoples attention for very long. Will be good to see how it looks now that there's no last gen consoles as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Titanfall was around 6 months to early to impact the xbox one. I bought mine for it and didn't regret it one bit.

If cross platform could be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Awaiting impact...

And..

zzzZZZzzzZZZZZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I have very little time for competitive multiplayer games. AAA games hold increasingly little appeal too. But no mistake: I ****ing loved Titanfall. Spent lots of time with it on 360 and PC, and outside of Platinum games I really struggle to think of many games that feel so utterly satisfying to play. The flow and pace of games was just right. It helped that, unlike most online FPS games, I was actually good at it :pac:

I know there were plenty of complaints about the lack of singleplayer, and there's plenty of rumours that will be 'rectified' this time. But part of me thinks that's a real shame. In a world where most mainstream FPS titles come bundled with utterly mediocre campaign modes that aren't worth the six hours you spend with them, I found it seriously refreshing that the care and energy was put into getting Titanfall's MP just right. And they did, and frankly I think the results were quite discernible compared to titles that have had resources diverted elsewhere (don't have to look far beyond EA's own catalogue for that). Happily put 30-40+ hours into the game, and still get a hankering to play more. Maybe now that they managed to get the core experience so right they have the time to put together something worthwhile and substantial campaign wise. But yeah I'd go as far as saying I kinda hope they don't, and manage to retain the beautiful purity of the first game.
    Are there many still playing the original? I was in the disappointed-at-the-lack-of-single-player-campaign camp on launch and ended up not picking it up because of it. Since then, however, I've seen a good few comments similar to the above and I'm getting curious again. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lack of single player really really put me off the original, which is a shame as I enjoyed the game play.

I remember enjoying the game, but the awful match-making system was so horrible you'd easily end up on a team full of Rank 1's and end up taking on a team of Elites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm still playing it. It was the first thing I installed after signing up for EA access there just before xmas. It's great pick-up and play fun. I tend to get more enjoyment out of games when all the tweeny boppers piss off to the latest version of whatever game is on the telly ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Titanfall is/was an excellent game, it's the only FPS I've played where I haven't found myself ever thinking "that's a bull**** kill" when I get murderized. The movement is great and the Titans are deadly, can't wait for the sequel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I loved Titanfall but it definitely only held my attention for a short while. I'm not really even sure why I stopped playing but for a while there it was wonderful. My personal gripe was that it got a bit too mech dependant in the end game and they weren't as fluid. Still, I could see myself easily investing in 2 but I might not be so quick to grab a season pass this time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I really enjoyed it but most of the communtity had dropped off before I could afford a new console.
    Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I loved Titanfall and I'm really looking forward to this, I hope that they add a single player campaign but I don't want them to skip on upgrading the multi-player and add some new weapons, skins, Titan types and weapons and maps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Include a single player campaign - everyone says you should just stick to multiplayer (i.e. Battlefield, CoD)
    Don't include a single player campaign - everyone says you should have included a single player campaign (i.e. Battlefront, Titanfall)

:pac:

Saying that, i'd also like a single player campaign :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The game that had both and both were done well imo was The Last of Us,very enjoyable MP and well i think we all know how the SP was recieved.

Im all for having both,as long as one doesnt impede the quality of the other. So yeah fair to say id like to see most games go one way or the other but the odd gem makes it through from time to time.

As regard Titanfall,enjoyed the game. Its the game that would get stuck on the TV if the lads came up for a few beers/visit and the controller got passed around. Visually very impressive on PC too,dont think it got enough credit for that.
    The only drawback about the game was that it wasnt on PS4,which is what all my mates play on so couldnt get into it as much as i would have liked. Looking forward to see what they do now with the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I've noticed that there's a lot more people playing the original atm, also the game is pretty cheap and the season pass is free on origin so it's easy to get some practice before the squeal release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Still love this game. It was the first FPS I actually played and enjoyed. Controls were easy to get the hang of, and really satisfying once you do.

Looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

When I saw the announcement that Respawn are making a Star Wars game my first reaction was "No Titanfall 2??? :("

Wasn't aware it was actually announced! Really looking forward to it, first one was excellent, spent too many hours playing that game. I really think there is a lack of good FPS games in recent years, and Titanfall was a breadth of fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just reinstalled Titanfall after seening this thread. Its still a great game to drop in and out off. First real online FPS ive actually enjoyed..

Total sizzle reel stuff obviously but yup, definitely on the radar now. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Isn't it funny how it's being shown by PlayStation first? :D Talk about swinging pendulum of PR BS :)

Shiminay wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how it's being shown by PlayStation first? :D Talk about swinging pendulum of PR BS :)
    Looks like the trailer went went live on June 12th via the official Titanfall 2 channel, whereas the PS4 one I linked came out a little later on the 29th. I didn't spot it back then but it looks like it's doing the rounds again now that the Quick Look video, linked below, was released yesterday.

Interesting how both platform holders had the actual Teaser Trailer from around three months on their respective channels though. Marketing, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think this is my Christmas game. Looking forward to this more than any other game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Titanfall was a system seller along with KI for me. I still play Titanfall and love it to bits.

I'll probably pick up the sequel on my ps4 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I find the ps4 controller a little weaker for FPS, the left stick being in the wrong place being the big one. The triggers being another irritant, so i'll probably go xbone again. I probably play more on my ps4 these days but i doubt i'll get this on it.

Open beta begins this Friday and runs till Sunday on PS4 and Xbox One. They are not doing it on PC hardware compatibility and fear of Single Player leaks.
    The Titanfall 2 open beta begins this Friday, 19th August, and runs through 21st August.

A second open beta will kick off the following weekend from 26th-28th August.

The modes that will be available this weekend include Bounty Hunt and Pilots vs. Pilots.

Bounty Hunt is a five vs five mode that pits Pilots against their opposing team and along with the third-party AI Remnant Fleet. Players will need to deposit their points at a bank to receive credit for any of their exploits. Should they get killed before doing so, all their accumulated points will vanish.

Pilots vs Pilots is simply an eight vs eight mode without mechs.

Map-wise, we'll have two to choose from: Boomtown and Homestead. Boomtown is centered around an underground facility with tight lanes and peaked roofs. Homestead is a more open outdoor area full of rocks, trees and a river.

Eurogamer Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

The beta/tech test is up on the ps4 store now. 12gb download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I've downloaded the beta from the Xbox marketplace but it's just stuck in a connecting screen. What time does it unlock , can't find anytime in GMT of when it officially starts ??

EDIT 5pm Irish time is what i was told on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I've downloaded the beta from the Xbox marketplace but it's just stuck in a connecting screen. What time does it unlock , can't find anytime in GMT of when it officially starts ??

EDIT 5pm Irish time is what i was told on twitter.

SAYS 9AM PST,i googled the gmt and its 4pm but maybe 5pm as we are on European psn time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Beta live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

For anybody playing the titanfall 2 beta I created a boards network called Boards ie . It's private so only boardsies can join. I created it on PS4

Can't put my finger on it, but so far nowhere near as good as the first game. Put a lot of hours into Titanfall 1, and still play it. Game doesn't have the fluid movement of the first, map design isn't great either. And the kill streak, you have to build up before a Titan drops is a step backwards.

After 5 games, still hadn't seen a Titan drop for either team. Made me just want to go back, and play Titanfall 1 again!

Yeah I'm the same. Haven't played much of it but finding it to be a step backwards from the original. Very disappointing so far, but need to give in more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Its launches one week after Battlefield 1 and EA is publishing both Battlefield and Titanfall 2 :eek:

I have never seen a suicide mission like this before. They really should have released it February or March of 2017. I predict this is not going to go well.

The pre-alpha seems like good fun. When it comes to the pilots they have made good improvements following on from Titanfall 1. The titans however do not feel right. The HUD is very busy on screen, its feels more like pilot vs pilot with the Titans not making much of an impact in each game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

trixiebust wrote: »
    Can't put my finger on it, but so far nowhere near as good as the first game. Put a lot of hours into Titanfall 1, and still play it. Game doesn't have the fluid movement of the first, map design isn't great either. And the kill streak, you have to build up before a Titan drops is a step backwards.

After 5 games, still hadn't seen a Titan drop for either team. Made me just want to go back, and play Titanfall 1 again!

Were you playing in Pilot vs Pilot? there's no titans in that game mode.

I agree though, something feels a bit off compared to the first game. Grappling hook is fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,015 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Couple of issues with it I know that it's a pre alpha build so can't really fault it to much but when you are trying to party up with friends it's a bit of a pain as at the end of the game part breaks up and you get thrown into different lobbies

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Were you playing in Pilot vs Pilot? there's no titans in that game mode.

I agree though, something feels a bit off compared to the first game. Grappling hook is fun though.

Yeah I was. Didn't realise there was no Titan's in that. Hope I'm wrong, because I still love jumping back into 1, but ended up turning this off after an hour.

The kill streak for a Titan though, favours the better players. They get a better kill streak, Titan lands. The beauty of the first was, even an average player would still have a chance of kills, because a Titan would drop anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Their releasing this game at a stupid time alongside battlefield.If it was pushed back to February or March it would have some chance.The last game was fantastic but once they introduced titan burn cards that was the last straw for me, particularity because i played LTS alot. Played some of the beta but the party system being broken just got annoying.
    Still alot of fun though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really don't like the game/BETA as it currently stands, and I loved Titanfall. It feels like they're compromising everything that was great about Titanfall and trying to be Call of Duty. They've slowed the player movement significantly and it just doesn't feel right.

Battlefield and Call of Duty have owned the shooter marketplace for years and to my mind both grew stale but Titanfall felt different. It was trying new things, you felt like you were a smaller part of a bigger battle and even if you weren't great at competitive shooters, you could still feel like you were contributing to your team's efforts.

There's no evidence of that in the BETA, the Titans are less impactful and the balance of the game just seems way off. As a player you feel much less survivable and like CoD, it's now appears to be all about running out, getting a kill or two - or three if you're really good - getting shot and immidiately respawning and repeating. In the original Titanfall I could sometimes go 10 minutes without dying as the AI bots would let you slowly build up your Titanfall and you could pick off a couple of the other team along the way. Now it feels like everything is being fueled into CoD like chokepoints.

It's the first of two BETA weekends and hopefull next weekend will see a return to that more expansive and open gameplay but as things stand, I've gone from being really excited for the release of Titanfall 2 to already feeling disappointed - rightly or wrongly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah just played a little bit there and it feels like they've diluted the whole experience down.

What I loved about the first was just its sheer focus and simplicity. This, so far anyway, falls victim to there needing to be MORE when MORE is not needed. Too much going on in the games, and it I simply couldn't get that sense of flow and rhythm you got from the first the second you picked up a controller.

I think super_furry got it right. Titanfall is one of the few shooters I've played where I often survived entire matches only getting killed once or twice. Here the pilots feel feeble, and the Titans weaker too. The art design and UI feel busier too, and I felt it was an overload of info. The maps felt more constrained, less clear. Plus they've ruined rodeoing, or at least made it less impactful - I dig the way the battery works, but other than that it feels like they've nerfed a key mechanic :(

My fear is this will go the way of Call of Duty. Modern Warfare was lightning in a bottle, an adventurous but laser sharp take on the multiplayer shooter. MW2 threw in the kitchen sink and lost a lot in the process, even if the essence was still there. This seems the same sort of deal, but it is just a demo - here's hoping the full game doesn't lose what the first game had by trying to be a bigger, bigger, bigger sequel.

Grapple hook is cool, at least *shrugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Played last night and today, main things for me is the level design feels very poor - no real flow going from one side of the map to the other, all the indoors are small so no jumping off walls causing mayhem only sliding which is a nice addition.
    I imagine the HUD will change, no need to tell me which gun I am using or even what is on L1 and R1. Autoaim seems to be too helpful at the moment - I am killing guys from way too far away - it feels great but deep down I know Im not that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My first impression was pretty positive, but the more i played, the more stuff annoyed me, the orange outline around enemies, the constant running out in the open to where the grunts and spectres were coming in on the drop pods, Vacant levels etc. Also, the AI on the grunts was atrocious. I've a theory thats probably way off the mark, but I'll throw it out for discussion - the AI in titanfall 1 was cloud based - has the move away from grunts being all over the map / the alteration to the Attrition game mode come about to cater for the PS4 which I presume doesnt have access to that service?

otherwise, the game has gone from a must buy to an EA access vault effort for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

was there actually grunts in this Demo ? I thought the maps seemed a bit more empty as it was only Players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

limitedIQ wrote: »
    was there actually grunts in this Demo ? I thought the maps seemed a bit more empty as it was only Players.

They were in bounty hunt mode but they only spawned on the control points.

Maybe it was just because it was a Demo, but I found the Maps a bit of a let down. Not enough continuous high spaces\roofs and no flow to the maps.
    But I still thought it was cool.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They were in bounty hunt mode but they only spawned on the control points.

Ah, i was mostly playing Hardpoint

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have to say I was expecting a little bit more from this, Time to spawn titan is crazy long.

I found if you cap/amp the first hardpoints then just kill a few people you get a titan pretty quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I enjoyed the first one but wasn't mad on this one unfortunately, seems the Titans were few and far between and the controls were a bit off for me, even changing them wasn't the best...

Maybe the game mode did them no favours...

That's not to say the game won't improve, I hope they take the feedback on board and delay the release and polish it into something better, doubtful at this late stage though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fieldog wrote: »
    I enjoyed the first one but wasn't mad on this one unfortunately, seems the Titans were few and far between and the controls were a bit off for me, even changing them wasn't the best...

Maybe the game mode did them no favours...

That's not to say the game won't improve, I hope they take the feedback on board and delay the release and polish it into something better, doubtful at this late stage though...

It's not going to happen. These public betas are just a exercise in developing the hype train.

• Advertisement
Advertisement