Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand by for Titanfall...2!

• 11-04-2016 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

As you know, we have an advertising deal with EA and the will send us stuff every now and again. Well today I got this in an email.

Now I know that the first Titanfall had some mixed reviews, but I can hand on my heart say that I really loved it. The gun-play was quite satisfying ala COD (no surprise as it was ex IW staff that built it). I thought the fluidity of the movement of the pilots with the jet pack and wall running was the stand out feature (and they got it to market ahead of CoD: AW that year) and the stomp stomp feeling of piloting a Titan just felt cool - I was yearning for a controller like Steel Battalion to move around the place :)

The lack of variety in the weapons was quite disappointing, but understandable and I don't think any "archetype" was left empty on the checklist of weapons you'd expect (except the bow and arrow which seems to have been shoehorned into every game ever now).

ANYWAY, why am I posting this? I really liked the first one and I hope this second one does well. Whilst I'm not sure what sorta plan EA has for the marketing of this title, or whether or not we're even a part of it, I figured if I got a bitta buzz going, we can go back to them and say "hey, give us some stuff to share with our members, they're all dead keen!" I won't lie, it may not work, but at least we tried :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have very little time for competitive multiplayer games. AAA games hold increasingly little appeal too. But no mistake: I ****ing loved Titanfall. Spent lots of time with it on 360 and PC, and outside of Platinum games I really struggle to think of many games that feel so utterly satisfying to play. The flow and pace of games was just right. It helped that, unlike most online FPS games, I was actually good at it :pac:

I know there were plenty of complaints about the lack of singleplayer, and there's plenty of rumours that will be 'rectified' this time. But part of me thinks that's a real shame. In a world where most mainstream FPS titles come bundled with utterly mediocre campaign modes that aren't worth the six hours you spend with them, I found it seriously refreshing that the care and energy was put into getting Titanfall's MP just right. And they did, and frankly I think the results were quite discernible compared to titles that have had resources diverted elsewhere (don't have to look far beyond EA's own catalogue for that). Happily put 30-40+ hours into the game, and still get a hankering to play more. Maybe now that they managed to get the core experience so right they have the time to put together something worthwhile and substantial campaign wise. But yeah I'd go as far as saying I kinda hope they don't, and manage to retain the beautiful purity of the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Im excited for this, as Johnny said I dont see a need for single player unless the usual formula is changed - I hate the go here, do this, shoot that, HURRY! campaign.

The first one got a lot of things right but a few things wrong, if the soldiers AI is better and there is more maps Ill be very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hope it hasn't got 5 minute long load screens between maps like the original

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to seeing what they can do with this. Titanfall has some great ideas, but just didn't seem to hold peoples attention for very long. Will be good to see how it looks now that there's no last gen consoles as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Titanfall was around 6 months to early to impact the xbox one. I bought mine for it and didn't regret it one bit.

If cross platform could be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Awaiting impact...

And..

zzzZZZzzzZZZZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I have very little time for competitive multiplayer games. AAA games hold increasingly little appeal too. But no mistake: I ****ing loved Titanfall. Spent lots of time with it on 360 and PC, and outside of Platinum games I really struggle to think of many games that feel so utterly satisfying to play. The flow and pace of games was just right. It helped that, unlike most online FPS games, I was actually good at it :pac:

I know there were plenty of complaints about the lack of singleplayer, and there's plenty of rumours that will be 'rectified' this time. But part of me thinks that's a real shame. In a world where most mainstream FPS titles come bundled with utterly mediocre campaign modes that aren't worth the six hours you spend with them, I found it seriously refreshing that the care and energy was put into getting Titanfall's MP just right. And they did, and frankly I think the results were quite discernible compared to titles that have had resources diverted elsewhere (don't have to look far beyond EA's own catalogue for that). Happily put 30-40+ hours into the game, and still get a hankering to play more. Maybe now that they managed to get the core experience so right they have the time to put together something worthwhile and substantial campaign wise. But yeah I'd go as far as saying I kinda hope they don't, and manage to retain the beautiful purity of the first game.
    Are there many still playing the original? I was in the disappointed-at-the-lack-of-single-player-campaign camp on launch and ended up not picking it up because of it. Since then, however, I've seen a good few comments similar to the above and I'm getting curious again. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lack of single player really really put me off the original, which is a shame as I enjoyed the game play.

I remember enjoying the game, but the awful match-making system was so horrible you'd easily end up on a team full of Rank 1's and end up taking on a team of Elites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm still playing it. It was the first thing I installed after signing up for EA access there just before xmas. It's great pick-up and play fun. I tend to get more enjoyment out of games when all the tweeny boppers piss off to the latest version of whatever game is on the telly ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Titanfall is/was an excellent game, it's the only FPS I've played where I haven't found myself ever thinking "that's a bull**** kill" when I get murderized. The movement is great and the Titans are deadly, can't wait for the sequel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I loved Titanfall but it definitely only held my attention for a short while. I'm not really even sure why I stopped playing but for a while there it was wonderful. My personal gripe was that it got a bit too mech dependant in the end game and they weren't as fluid. Still, I could see myself easily investing in 2 but I might not be so quick to grab a season pass this time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I really enjoyed it but most of the communtity had dropped off before I could afford a new console.
    Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I loved Titanfall and I'm really looking forward to this, I hope that they add a single player campaign but I don't want them to skip on upgrading the multi-player and add some new weapons, skins, Titan types and weapons and maps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Include a single player campaign - everyone says you should just stick to multiplayer (i.e. Battlefield, CoD)
    Don't include a single player campaign - everyone says you should have included a single player campaign (i.e. Battlefront, Titanfall)

:pac:

Saying that, i'd also like a single player campaign :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The game that had both and both were done well imo was The Last of Us,very enjoyable MP and well i think we all know how the SP was recieved.

Im all for having both,as long as one doesnt impede the quality of the other. So yeah fair to say id like to see most games go one way or the other but the odd gem makes it through from time to time.

As regard Titanfall,enjoyed the game. Its the game that would get stuck on the TV if the lads came up for a few beers/visit and the controller got passed around. Visually very impressive on PC too,dont think it got enough credit for that.
    The only drawback about the game was that it wasnt on PS4,which is what all my mates play on so couldnt get into it as much as i would have liked. Looking forward to see what they do now with the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I've noticed that there's a lot more people playing the original atm, also the game is pretty cheap and the season pass is free on origin so it's easy to get some practice before the squeal release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Still love this game. It was the first FPS I actually played and enjoyed. Controls were easy to get the hang of, and really satisfying once you do.

Looking forward to the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

When I saw the announcement that Respawn are making a Star Wars game my first reaction was "No Titanfall 2??? :("

Wasn't aware it was actually announced! Really looking forward to it, first one was excellent, spent too many hours playing that game. I really think there is a lack of good FPS games in recent years, and Titanfall was a breadth of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just reinstalled Titanfall after seening this thread. Its still a great game to drop in and out off. First real online FPS ive actually enjoyed..

Total sizzle reel stuff obviously but yup, definitely on the radar now. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Isn't it funny how it's being shown by PlayStation first? :D Talk about swinging pendulum of PR BS :)

Shiminay wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how it's being shown by PlayStation first? :D Talk about swinging pendulum of PR BS :)
    Looks like the trailer went went live on June 12th via the official Titanfall 2 channel, whereas the PS4 one I linked came out a little later on the 29th. I didn't spot it back then but it looks like it's doing the rounds again now that the Quick Look video, linked below, was released yesterday.

Interesting how both platform holders had the actual Teaser Trailer from around three months on their respective channels though. Marketing, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think this is my Christmas game. Looking forward to this more than any other game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Atomicjuicer0

Titanfall was a system seller along with KI for me. I still play Titanfall and love it to bits.

I'll probably pick up the sequel on my ps4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I find the ps4 controller a little weaker for FPS, the left stick being in the wrong place being the big one. The triggers being another irritant, so i'll probably go xbone again. I probably play more on my ps4 these days but i doubt i'll get this on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

Open beta begins this Friday and runs till Sunday on PS4 and Xbox One. They are not doing it on PC hardware compatibility and fear of Single Player leaks.
    The Titanfall 2 open beta begins this Friday, 19th August, and runs through 21st August.

A second open beta will kick off the following weekend from 26th-28th August.

The modes that will be available this weekend include Bounty Hunt and Pilots vs. Pilots.

Bounty Hunt is a five vs five mode that pits Pilots against their opposing team and along with the third-party AI Remnant Fleet. Players will need to deposit their points at a bank to receive credit for any of their exploits. Should they get killed before doing so, all their accumulated points will vanish.

Pilots vs Pilots is simply an eight vs eight mode without mechs.

Map-wise, we'll have two to choose from: Boomtown and Homestead. Boomtown is centered around an underground facility with tight lanes and peaked roofs. Homestead is a more open outdoor area full of rocks, trees and a river.

Eurogamer Source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

The beta/tech test is up on the ps4 store now. 12gb download

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I've downloaded the beta from the Xbox marketplace but it's just stuck in a connecting screen. What time does it unlock , can't find anytime in GMT of when it officially starts ??

EDIT 5pm Irish time is what i was told on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I've downloaded the beta from the Xbox marketplace but it's just stuck in a connecting screen. What time does it unlock , can't find anytime in GMT of when it officially starts ??

EDIT 5pm Irish time is what i was told on twitter.

SAYS 9AM PST,i googled the gmt and its 4pm but maybe 5pm as we are on European psn time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Beta live!

Advertisement