Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get car insurance

Options
  • 11-08-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone. I am 32 with I full driving license for 11 years. The last two half years I have no insurance as I had no need for a car. I am now on the middle of buying a car and went to get insurance quotes today and most of the company's would not even qoute me because my no claims bonus has expired because it over two years since I had cover. The one or two that dis qoute were outrageous price of 4000, does anyone know how I could get cheaper insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you get a named driver kike a parent on the policy. You as the main driver?

Choice of car can be a big factor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kevin111

What are you driving?

Skoda Octavia vrs diesel. But I'm 33

It's still considered a sort of relative performance car

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you get a named driver kike a parent on the policy. You as the main driver?

Choice of car can be a big factor too.

Was only one or two that would quote. But I never said anything about adding a name driver. Don't know would fahy make a difference

• Advertisement

It really does. My wife's insurance went down 25% by adding me on.

Still though, I'd be looking at a different car for now.

It's still considered a sort of relative performance car

Maybe, but I be thinking my age and that. They we're not giving quotes because I didn't have no claims bonus

It really does. My wife's insurance went down 25% by adding me on.

Still though, I'd be looking at a different car for now.
    Ya maybe. But I think my problem is the fact I don't have a no claims bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'll concur with Colm here. I added my wife to my policy and she was a learner on her first provisional at the time and my policy dropped by a decent amount. Couldn't believe it as I was expecting to have to pay more for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Its those 3 little letters " v r s " that are causing the problem .Get a quote for a standard octavia and see the difference

• Advertisement

I reckon you'd get quotes of around €2k on something a bit tamer.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Its those 3 little letters " v r s " that are causing the problem .Get a quote for a standard octavia and see the difference

Ya I give that a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It doesn't work like that you can't just get a quote for a standard octavia if it's not a standard octavia, you won't get a pay out if you have a claim.

ASOT wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that you can't just get a quote for a standard octavia if it's not a standard octavia, you won't get a pay out if you have a claim.

Ya I know. I haven't bought the car yet. I'm in the middle of the deal. But I really want the car also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

ASOT wrote: »

He's saying do it as a test to compare what's really loading his quote not to front the car as a lesser version.

He's saying do it as a test to compare what's really loading his quote not to front the car as a lesser version.

I read that compleatly wrong my bad!

Exactly -

My insurance renewal showed a break down of the quote cost , it was 1600 to start with and then reduced by 80% because of my no claims bonus and then added in different fees and broker costs.So without my NCB it would have been 1600 on a 2ltr diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

try its4women.ie...and no, it's not just for women!

The insurance companies have told me that the reason why it's high is because I have had not insurance in the last 2 years. There for my no claims bonus has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Try a different insurance company? You've repeated the same thing in 4 posts now.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Try a different insurance company? You've repeated the same thing in 4 posts now.

I have tried 11 of them

Exactly -

My insurance renewal showed a break down of the quote cost , it was 1600 to start with and then reduced by 80% because of my no claims bonus and then added in different fees and broker costs.So without my NCB it would have been 1600 on a 2ltr diesel
    What company was that wit. Even 1600 I would pay.

Kevin111 wrote: »

123.ie

Call a few brokers. I would suggest Munster Group in Ennis for a start.

123.ie

They don't quote if you have no bonus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kevin111 wrote: »

For a VRS or a standard 2.0 diesel?

Stheno wrote: »
    For a VRS or a standard 2.0 diesel?

Vrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

I've an 8 year old 2.0L Subaru Legacy diesel, max ncb, no penalty points, last time my renewal was up there were 5 companies that wouldn't quote or didn't ring back, 3 said they didn't quote the Brand, price has gone up each year, cant wait for this years quote,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You won't be in the same boat, you just get an 'ex company car letter' from your employer saying you had no claims and a corresponding confirmation from the fleet insurer and you'll be given year for year.

Advertisement