Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get car insurance

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Kevin111 wrote: »
    Vrs

Not a hope tbh that you'll insure it honestly for 1600

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 46 Rhaegal

Was in the exact same boat until last night.

Axa insured me for €1300 as the rest wouldn't even quote me.

The problem is you might have to ring a few different offices as they seem to have diff rules as i found out. One crowd in Dublin wouldn't quote me whilst another in Derry said once i had previous experience i could get insured without a no claims and this is meant to be the same company...like wtf???

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kevin111

Rhaegal wrote: »
    Was in the exact same boat until last night.

Axa insured me for €1300 as the rest wouldn't even quote me.

The problem is you might have to ring a few different offices as they seem to have diff rules as i found out. One crowd in Dublin wouldn't quote me whilst another in Derry said once i had previous experience i could get insured without a no claims and this is meant to be the same company...like wtf???

Ya. I might ring a few different ones. Seems mental. This country is. Pure rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If you're married, maybe alternating insurance between yourself and your wife every second year would be an option, in that case both would keep no-claims?
    If you're named on a company policy some insurance companies take this into account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Maybe have a look at this thread to see if there are any company's you havent tried yet

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482518&page=94

Opel Astra 00 1.4 full licence 25 years ncb 10+
    Last years quote €349 from 25+.ie this year they quoted €725 ffs

Insurance company's just seem to pull a figure out of their hole then double it and see if people go for it

In the end I went with bank of ireland for €322
    Highest quote of over €1000 from chill so i have now pulled my house insurance from them also

Also make sure not to give any business to company's who wont quote for older cars
    like for house or life insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I was getting ridiculous quotes also even with full no claims and 12 years clean drivin - not even a penalty point

Ended up takin out a policy for the wife with RSA and adding myself as named driver - 280 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Ya. I might ring a few different ones. Seems mental. This country is. Pure rip off

everyone seems to want to blame the insurance compnaies - but if it was so lucrative international insurers would be rushing into the market whereas there's almost a rush to get out.

Insurance fraud is a MASSIVE issue - there are professional gruoups who do it for a living and court rules do not allow for an insurance company to give a history of claims for a person or people related to that person.

In some cases there are people claiming every few months for "accidents".

Add to that the increased level of accidents over the past 3-4 years - less road deaths, but more accidents which are far more costlier for insurance companies.

and then the legal profession - judges handing out money like it was confetti at a wedding & astronomical legal fees.

A quick look at the financial results of insurance companies will show that there are far far more profitable areas to have your business in.

Correct the fraud, reduce accidents and get control of awards and you'll see 30%+ come off car insurance fairly quickly.

A lot of this can be done by government, the accident issue is up to motorists themselves to wake up to.

VincePP wrote: »
    everyone seems to want to blame the insurance compnaies - but if it was so lucrative international insurers would be rushing into the market whereas there's almost a rush to get out.

Insurance fraud is a MASSIVE issue - there are professional gruoups who do it for a living and court rules do not allow for an insurance company to give a history of claims for a person or people related to that person.

In some cases there are people claiming every few months for "accidents".

Add to that the increased level of accidents over the past 3-4 years - less road deaths, but more accidents which are far more costlier for insurance companies.

and then the legal profession - judges handing out money like it was confetti at a wedding & astronomical legal fees.

A quick look at the financial results of insurance companies will show that there are far far more profitable areas to have your business in.

Correct the fraud, reduce accidents and get control of awards and you'll see 30%+ come off car insurance fairly quickly.

A lot of this can be done by government, the accident issue is up to motorists themselves to wake up to.

Well I have had no claims. No points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Patww79 wrote: »
    I'll be in the same boat next year as I have a company vehicle for the past year and you're screwed after 2 years with no NCB. Only hope is to buy something now and get it insured and then scrapped (unofficially) but finding something cheap enough that can be insured is the problem now.
    Absolute joke of a system that the OP finds themselves in now in their 30's after so many years driving.
    If you were married,and your partner had their own car,you could switch that insurance into your name every second year to keep two ncd's alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Hi everyone. I am 32 with I full driving license for 11 years.
    Skoda Octavia vrs diesel. But I'm 33

hhmmmmmmmmmmmm..............................:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

2k is still outrageous !!

Is this normal in Ireland ? , In Spain a 30 something male driver will pay around 400 a year !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Apologies if this is not the correct sub form (and mods please move if necessary), but what exactly is the reason we cannot employ a system for insurance like that in Australia, where I believe it's done through a surcharge on fuel (?). Everyone driving is covered, those who drive more, pay more. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

spurious wrote: »
    Apologies if this is not the correct sub form (and mods please move if necessary), but what exactly is the reason we cannot employ a system for insurance like that in Australia, where I believe it's done through a surcharge on fuel (?). Everyone driving is covered, those who drive more, pay more. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

No, there is an insurance policy given each year when you buy your rego (registration) but it only covers personal injuries, doesn't cover any vehicle damage.

You are still advised to take out a seperate insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

spurious wrote: »

I think you may be thinking of the TAC charge that is part of the annual registration fee? This goes partly towards contributing to rehab costs for people who are hit by uninsured drivers. Certainly in Victoria it's compulsory to have at least a 3rd party policy as well as paying your annual registration fee. There is no requirement to display an insurance disc though so its easier to get away with no having any insurance than it is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Good luck, OP. I know this is going to be an issue for me at some point in the future. I recently sold my car when I moved to the city centre and didn't need it. I'll review closer to the end of the two year gap, and may have to buy something cheap to keep my no claims if the premium is going to be really high. I'd be happy buying a small car though (1-1.4 litre petrol), so maybe that would go in my favour? What do young, learner drivers get insured on these days?

I'm planning on renting occasionally in the meantime, and may be a named driver on my mother's car - would this record of insurance help in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

NCB can be worth up to 60% so with no NCD you are going to have to pay a high premium to start with. It's whether you really want to pay it on that car or get a different car for a lower ins premium.

And check with autoline, they are giving good quotes compare to most rip off companies.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

Is it worth your while putting someone else as the owner and then you being the named driver? Then you can rebuild your experience and get a quote in your own right next year at renewal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

2k is still outrageous !!

Is this normal in Ireland ? , In Spain a 30 something male driver will pay around 400 a year !!!

How much compensation will a person get if injured by a 30 something male driver in Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

scwazrh wrote: »
    Its those 3 little letters " v r s " that are causing the problem .Get a quote for a standard octavia and see the difference

He'd need to get a reg number of the standard octavia, because once the insurance company get the reg. they get all the vehicle details, including whether it's a VRS or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

How much compensation will a person get if injured by a 30 something male driver in Spain?

That I couldn't tell you, I just know what my colleagues pay ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Car insurance in Spain is on the vehicle, not the driver. A 30 year old male pays the same as a 50 year old female. Compensation for injuries is much greater in Ireland. You are not comparing like with like.

I got cover in the end trough kennco ,, 812 on Vw Passat. They go back 3 years ncb instead of 2 years like most companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Glad the OP got sorted. For anyone thinking of piggybacking on this thread, you'd be much better off starting a new thread over in the dedicated 'Motor Insurance' forum which is here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1765

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Paulieniceguy

This does my head in reading this insurance companies getting away with ripping us off its a joke. We should be out Marching over this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

This does my head in reading this insurance companies getting away with ripping us off its a joke. We should be out Marching over this

There was a large protest recently in Dublin. Did you go ? Or do you prefer faux armchair outrage ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Tzardine wrote: »
    There was a large protest recently in Dublin. Did you go ? Or do you prefer faux armchair outrage ?

Really? Never heard of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I'd be in the same boat, just moved from UK. Licence 30 years, three points about to expire. Last claim 27 years ago. I haven't got a NCB because I've been a named driver on the missus' policy for years. She has full NCB. We are paying around £230 fully comp, full EU cover on what I'd say without giving too much away is a reasonably mid-range but non-standard vehicle.

Strictly speaking we should import the vehicle and hunt around for an Irish insurer but no doubt never having had insurance over here before her NCB won't be recognised and we'll be expected to pay through the nose. You know what, the insurance companies can get to f***ery

I'm going to leave the vehicle registered at my parents' house and travel back (or to NI) for an MOT every year.

There's plenty to complain about with rip-off Britain but this is downright extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

shaunr68 wrote:
    Strictly speaking we should import the vehicle and hunt around for an Irish insurer but no doubt never having had insurance over here before her NCB won't be recognised and we'll be expected to pay through the nose. You know what, the insurance companies can get to f***ery

You should probably track back to earlier in the conversation where someone said part of the high insurance costs was due to fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

shaunr68 wrote:
    I'd be in the same boat, just moved from UK. Licence 30 years, three points about to expire. Last claim 27 years ago. I haven't got a NCB because I've been a named driver on the missus' policy for years. She has full NCB. We are paying around £230 fully comp, full EU cover on what I'd say without giving too much away is a reasonably mid-range but non-standard vehicle.

Are you sure your EU cover is for the year. Most here would be limited. And let's not mention Brexit for your scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

peteb2 wrote: »
    You should probably track back to earlier in the conversation where someone said part of the high insurance costs was due to fraud.
    Predominantly fronting and large scale fraudulent claims, as already discussed. I am not costing the Irish insurance industry a penny through my refusal to bend over and be shafted by them.
    peteb2 wrote: »
    Are you sure your EU cover is for the year. Most here would be limited. And let's not mention Brexit for your scam.
    I said full EU cover, 365 days not limited by trip. Brexit won't make a blind bit of difference given the connections between our countries which pre-date the EU. Many UK insurers include RoI on their policies as standard. Mine does, even if you opt out of the EU cover they will insure as a minimum for travel in the UK, Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland.

Advertisement