Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This Sentence Too Harsh??

Options
  • 11-08-2016 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

A man in England that disrupted a flight and threatened violence been sentenced to eight years in prison.

BBC article Drunk aeroplane passenger 'threatened to stab pilot' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37047014

Considering some of the sentences that are given in Ireland for crimes that are of a perhaps more serious nature, is what he received excessive?

I have to say I think eight years is a bit harsh, but he was abusive and may have carried out his threats, not to mention the cost incurred by Easy Jet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Well he really shouldn't have threatened violebhas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Your Face wrote: »

Haha I wouldn't mind but I've been trying to edit my typo and it won't let me.

Oh the humanity!

Your Face wrote: »

They are my favourite flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

He threatened to play his viola bass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

8 MONTHS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Dave0301 wrote: »
    A man in England that disrupted a flight and threatened violebhas been sentenced to eight years in prison.

BBC article Drunk aeroplane passenger 'threatened to stab pilot' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37047014

Considering some of the sentences that are given in Ireland for crimes that are of a perhaps more serious nature, is what he received excessive?

I have to say I think eight years is a bit harsh, but he was abusive and may have carried out his threats, not to mention the cost incurred by Easy Jet.

The article says eight months?

Are you as drunk as he was? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ah jaysis OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

8 months, will serve 4, thread fail

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

maudgonner wrote: »
    The article says eight months?
    Maybe he's prison sentence departure will be delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

A man in England that disrupted a flight and threatened violebhas been sentenced to eight years in prison.

Even if it was 8 years (it was 8 months) i think that is a justifiable sentence. He threatened to kill someone which could have resulted in the death of everyone on board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Martin Johnson really has let himself go since quitting as England manager.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    8 MONTHS

Well this is awkward...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well this is awkward...

Dont worry OP I wont have go at you...Bawhahahahahahahahahhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well this is awkward...
    Do you work in the prison service? Have you just added years onto someones sentence by mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

He got off lightly imho. They could have made an example of him and charged him under terrorism laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well this is awkward...

Not really - you could edit the opening post.

Anyway - no, it;s not too harsh. You don't threaten to stab pilots on planes and expect community service. It's a serious job in a serious time.

Should also be banned from flying.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,234 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Eight MONTHS - not eight years!

Maybe the offender was a dog?

And to think of it... Garlic man got....

ScumLord wrote: »
    Well this is awkward...
    Do you work in the prison service? Have you just added years onto someones sentence by mistake?

I don't... probably won't give it a go now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Was horrified when I read 8 years. Yes, that's way too long for what was in all probability drunken stupidness. I really doubt anyone on the plane seriously believed he was really going to kill the pilot.

However, 8 months seems too short. 2 years would have probably been about right.

• Advertisement

Johnson, also known as James Kelly

also known as Buddy Garrity from Friday Night Lights. Being a booster is really taking a toll on poor Buddy, Lila will not be pleased.

Johnson, also known as James Kelly

also known as Buddy Garrity from Friday Night Lights. Being a booster is really taking a toll on poor Buddy, Lila will not be pleased.

I couldn't place exactly who he looked like.

Good shout though!

I couldn't place exactly who he looked like.

Good shout though!

How come you STILL haven;t edited the opening post to be actually be accurate and less hyperbolic?? Do you write for the Sun?

How come you STILL haven;t edited the opening post to be actually be accurate and less hyperbolic?? Do you write for the Sun?

The OP was mistaken, has admitted that and given us all a good laugh and been gracious in his responses.

Anyone reading the thread have the correct sentence clarified for them very quickly, in post #6. Anyone skimming the title and jumping to conclusions deserves no better IMO. Editing the OP would ruin the thread - this is AH, not the news :)

The OP was mistaken, has admitted that and given us all a good laugh and been gracious in his responses.

Anyone reading the thread have the correct sentence clarified for them very quickly, in post #6. Anyone skimming the title and jumping to conclusions deserves no better IMO. Editing the OP would ruin the thread - this is AH, not the news :)

Fair point, but it kinda killed any chance of discussion (which is a shame - it was an interesting topic). But that's AH I suppose.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    8 MONTHS

to be fair I hear some men overestimate length...of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

These prisons are just universities of crime.

Inside he will mix with other transport confounders.

The usual hard shaws who give bus drivers grief. Aeroplane hijackers. Recidivist car ferry trouble makers. People who've been thrown off more trains than you've had in flight hot dinners. They'll share skills. An admixture of mayhem forming allegiances and set up new gangs.

Well this is awkward...

:D

I'm rooting for you Dave. If we wait long enough, someone will fart and take your place on the awkward seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

this thread is the reason i love after hours...

holds hands up to mouth annnddd.....

*fart noise*

there ya go dave...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

And to think of it... Garlic man got....

I claim ownership to Garlic Law in the same vein as Godwin's Law. The latter is:
    "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazism or Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]—​​that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

So Garlic Law states:
    "As an online discussion in Ireland or on an Irish or Ireland related forum grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Garlic or Garlic sentence approaches 1"[2][3]—​​that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Garlic or Garlic sentence.TM. Copyright Fleawuss 2016.

Behold lesser mortals: Fleawuss Law.

Advertisement