Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast food workers - should we lift our trays?

Options
  • 10-08-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

I once heard a fella say he'd rather we didn't - as if it was a quiet shift it'd give him something to do.

If that was the case then I've been doing it wrong for years, I'd always lift mine out of politeness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Lift our trays = put them away when done and clean up? Then yes, any self respecting person would do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'd only lift it so I can beat them with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I always leave my tray for the paid staff to clear away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I always leave my tray for the paid staff to clear away.

Do you flush the dunny after a crap or leave it for the attendant to dispose off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

If there's a bin provided for you to dispose of your rubbish, or a rack to leave your tray on (e.g. in a carvery), yes, I always clear my table. If not I leave it for the staff to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Do you flush the dunny after a crap or leave it for the attendant to dispose off?

Tbh if there was someone in the cubicle with me when I was going for a crap....I think I'd get wait until I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I lift my tray out of consideration for other customers, not to deprive a staff member of something to do during quiet times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I thought we were supposed to? I do it but if i'm doing someone out of a job i'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I lift my tray out of consideration for other customers, not to deprive a staff member of something to do during quiet times

Nothing more annoying than going into a place and the trays and rubbish left all over the table, and staff are busy in a full place doing so much, so that you need to clean the previous persons crap up.

If its a place where there is a place to dump the waste and place a tray back, then yes I would clear up. Its just being polite to the staff and the next customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its knackery not to clean up after yourselves.
    I dont want to be cleaning up anyone elses dirt before I sit down to eat my own food.

Its one of those things that makes by blood boil.

Would you leave your own kitchen like that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Not only do I lift my tray, I clear any crumbs from the table. A habit I've always had. If my kid is with me and drops anything on the floor, I pick it up. Anything short of that by anyone is just scummy, ignorant behaviour and its clear to see in any fast food place when you see the state of some tables.

Recently in a local hotel of mine, I popped into the Sunday carvery. Holy fook! It was busy and staff were clearing tables as quickly as possible. The missus sat at a spare table that was being cleaned. Animals wouldn't make such a mess. Food all over the table and floor. As I thanked the staff member for cleaning the table, I asked her if she wouldn't mind sweeping under the table too.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Just wondering if people take this logic into a pub??

Would you bring your own glasses back to the bar everytime you finished a drink or would you let the floor staff do it?

Not much of a difference in my opinion, if I go into a fast food place sometimes I put my rubbish in the bin sometimes I don't, there are staff there that get paid to do a job so why should I do it for them?

Again if you're in the cinema do you take your rubbish out with you when the film is over or would u leave your empty cup in the cup holder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Buckfast W wrote: »

Would you bring your own glasses back to the bar everytime you finished a drink or would you let the floor staff do it?

Not much of a difference in my opinion, if I go into a fast food place sometimes I put my rubbish in the bin sometimes I don't, there are staff there that get paid to do a job so why should I do it for them?

Again if you're in the cinema do you take your rubbish out with you when the film is over or would u leave your empty cup in the cup holder

In the pub I would usually leave my empty glass over to the bar unless the place was heaving busy and I just couldn't get a spot.

In the cinema I always take rubbish with me and bin it at the door. I used to work in a cinema and the ushers (who also doubled as cleaners in between showings) had a name for people who left rubbish behind: "dirty b*st*rds."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its knackery not to clean up after yourselves.
    I dont want to be cleaning up anyone elses dirt before I sit down to eat my own food.

Its one of those things that makes by blood boil.

Would you leave your own kitchen like that??

It's a restaurant though, there are staff paid to clean up. If people clean up after themselves staff don't bother wiping the tables. Salt and all other crap sticks to your arms.
    If there is a sign up asking to remove your tray I'll do it but otherwise I wouldn't. It's 'knackery' to be sitting down at a half clean table because the restaurant are too cheap to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

If a pub is quiet, i usually bring my glasses back to the bar when I go to order another drink or am on my way out. Is this wrong too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anyone who doesn't deserves to be force fed their rubbish until they choke on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Same with people who bring their dirty plates and cutlery to the kitchenette in work, but leave it on the counter or in the sink, rather than stacking it into the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What is worse is the people who give their cup a bit of a rinse and leave it on the draining board as though it is clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yes. I take my rubbish with me.

Genwrally in a pub youre not having one and getting up and leaving. The floor staff normally take the glasses while they are going around or when your order your next round

In the pub I would usually leave my empty glass over to the bar unless the place was heaving busy and I just couldn't get a spot.

In the cinema I always take rubbish with me and bin it at the door. I used to work in a cinema and the ushers (who also doubled as cleaners in between showings) had a name for people who left rubbish behind: "dirty b*st*rds."

But if I'm employed to work in a place and that's part of my job description I can't really complain when thats what I signed up for. I used to work in a bar and would have to clean the place at the end of the night. I wouldn't complain about how inconsiderate the customers were if they left a few glasses on the table or a ripped up beer mat. It was my responsibilty to look after the pub not theres. They were paying customers who were there to relax and enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

I always return my tray and even though I worked in a fast food place I wouldn't really judge anyone who left their tray provided the table is relatively tidy.

I remember on time there was a wedding reception at this particular fast food restaurant - the place was an absolute bomb. Complete chaos.

Yes. I take my rubbish with me.

Genwrally in a pub youre not having one and getting up and leaving. The floor staff normally take the glasses while they are going around or when your order your next round

Same logic should apply then in an eatery.
    They know people are coming in for something to eat, they should have staff in place to deal with cleaning up after people. If I eat out its because I want to relax and not have to clean up after myself, thats what the staff are paid to do, as I said I've done it myself and that was part of my job description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Yep, if there's no floor staff in a pub clearing glasses as I'm drinking, then I would throw the glasses up on the bar. If I'm only there for one pint I would always leave the glass up before heading off.

I always put my popcorn box with empty cup/any other rubbish at the end of the row in the cinema. I would put them in a bin if one was provided but they rarely are.

I was brought up, not dragged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thing is though if you clear your own tray all the staff see from a distance is a clear table. They dont see the ketchup marks or spiilt Coke or whatever from a distance away which means the table doesnt get wiped or disinfected at all after the customer before you has left.
    So you end up sitting in someone elses crap. In winter with lots of people having common colds/sneezing etc Id imagine the germs left behind by the previous customer are multiplying at the same time that youre sitting there putting food in your mouth. Not that Im any freak for germs but I think tables that arent disinfected between customers are a pretty good way of transferring the common cold from person to person. So, no, I dont clear off my tray, that way the staff have to visit the table and should give it a wipe as anyone would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's kinda hilarious that this discussion even exists. Where did this expectation of cleaning after yourselves come from? Marketing. Some genius thought about this money saving guilt trip and has duped many people into believing that it's somehow our fault that the fast food resturaunt is messy because of the customers. You are paying for a service, let management find another way to maximise profits and hire somebody to do the job that shouldn't be done by it's customers.

The argument "would you leave your own kitchen like that?" is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Yep, if there's no floor staff in a pub clearing glasses as I'm drinking, then I would throw the glasses up on the bar. If I'm only there for one pint I would always leave the glass up before heading off.

I always put my popcorn box with empty cup/any other rubbish at the end of the row in the cinema. I would put them in a bin if one was provided but they rarely are.

I was brought up, not dragged up.

Your points and all well and good until your last sentence. This is where you lose all credibility by insinuating that anybody that does not share your same practice has not been raised correctly. Which is complete and utter bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

In a fast food place with an option to clean your own tray I would empty the tray myself.

In a restaurant when I'm finished I always like to tidy up my plates in a way that makes it easier for the waitress to lift and if there's a bit of a mess on the table then try and clean it up with a napkin- takes 10 seconds and means the waitress can clear the table quicker for the next customer to come along.

I worked as a waitress when I was in college so I guess I'm a bit sympathetic. Nothing worse when you're waitressing and you're cleaning up a table after a messy family has been there- bits of chicken nuggets lying on the floor, empty ketchup packets stuck to the table, dirty napkins left sitting on the chairs etc. I appreciate taking kids out for dinner is hard work at times but it doesn't excuse leaving the place in a sh*t heap after you.

(Also side note that I need to vent about- It used to break my SOUL when the restaurant was busy and instead of waiting to be given a table, the customer saunters on in and sits at a dirty table and then complains to the waitress that the table hasn't been cleared!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

brevity wrote: »
    I always return my tray and even though I worked in a fast food place I wouldn't really judge anyone who left their tray provided the table is relatively tidy.

I remember on time there was a wedding reception at this particular fast food restaurant - the place was an absolute bomb. Complete chaos.

Classy

Advertisement