Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast food workers - should we lift our trays?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

smeal wrote: »
    In a fast food place with an option to clean your own tray I would empty the tray myself.

In a restaurant when I'm finished I always like to tidy up my plates in a way that makes it easier for the waitress to lift and if there's a bit of a mess on the table then try and clean it up with a napkin- takes 10 seconds and means the waitress can clear the table quicker for the next customer to come along.

I worked as a waitress when I was in college so I guess I'm a bit sympathetic. Nothing worse when you're waitressing and you're cleaning up a table after a messy family has been there- bits of chicken nuggets lying on the floor, empty ketchup packets stuck to the table, dirty napkins left sitting on the chairs etc. I appreciate taking kids out for dinner is hard work at times but it doesn't excuse leaving the place in a sh*t heap after you.

(Also side note that I need to vent about- It used to break my SOUL when the restaurant was busy and instead of waiting to be given a table, the customer saunters on in and sits at a dirty table and then complains to the waitress that the table hasn't been cleared!!!)

Depends on the type of place. Self service type restaurant where there's nowhere to leave your tray - I would always put the plates back on the tray and make it easier for the staff to lift and clear away.

Full service restaurant, I leave everything where it has been placed. I would also always leave my knife and fork straight on the plate like this when finished my meal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I always bring my pint glasses back up to the bar when ordering a drink. As a former bartender I know it's a big timesaver, especially on busy nights when you start to run low on glasses. I also don't get why people are happy to sit at a table that's covered in empties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I used to know an assitant manager in a very busy McDonalds in Germany when I lived there. They had two people on cleaning all day, up to 4 at peak times. If people didn't clear stuff away they'd need another couple of people, so yes, it creates jobs.

If it's a busy spot, then I leave the tray there as it creates jobs, if it's a quieter place I'll dump it in the bin. I always keep the stuff on the tray, so it's just a matter for the cleaner to pick it up and dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Just wondering if people take this logic into a pub??

Would you bring your own glasses back to the bar everytime you finished a drink or would you let the floor staff do it?

Not much of a difference in my opinion, if I go into a fast food place sometimes I put my rubbish in the bin sometimes I don't, there are staff there that get paid to do a job so why should I do it for them?

Again if you're in the cinema do you take your rubbish out with you when the film is over or would u leave your empty cup in the cup holder

And same with Hotel.... would you take your own starter or main course plates back to the kitchen.... you wouldn't be allowed in anyway :pac:

For me the decision of doing their job for them (fast food outlet) rests solely on the quality of service.... if it's sh1te they'll be doing everything themselves.... like their paid to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Not only do I lift my tray, I clear any crumbs from the table. A habit I've always had. If my kid is with me and drops anything on the floor, I pick it up. Anything short of that by anyone is just scummy, ignorant behaviour and its clear to see in any fast food place when you see the state of some tables.

Recently in a local hotel of mine, I popped into the Sunday carvery. Holy fook! It was busy and staff were clearing tables as quickly as possible. The missus sat at a spare table that was being cleaned. Animals wouldn't make such a mess. Food all over the table and floor. As I thanked the staff member for cleaning the table, I asked her if she wouldn't mind sweeping under the table too.

And rightly so, seeing as you own it..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I dump it because you'll always pass the bins on your way out, same with the cinema as the bin is at the exit.

Takes about 10 seconds to gather your shíte and bring it with you towards the bins you're passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

If they wanted me to put the rubbish in the bin, why is the bin always full? And why is there people begging when they could just have the odd bite while clearing tables?

The bloody nerve of the youth today, taking the food from the homeless and expecting to get paid for the pleasure! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,024 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Don't eat in fast food places, but if i am in a bar i most times get them to use the same glass just far quicker an no hot glass just out of the washer. local cinema have trays that fit into the chairs drink holder but no where to put them by the bin so i would leave any rubbish on that tray for those afterwards just to simply lift off

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Story Bud? wrote: »
    Yep, if there's no floor staff in a pub clearing glasses as I'm drinking, then I would throw the glasses up on the bar. If I'm only there for one pint I would always leave the glass up before heading off.

I always put my popcorn box with empty cup/any other rubbish at the end of the row in the cinema. I would put them in a bin if one was provided but they rarely are.

I was brought up, not dragged up.

How does this mean your dragged up if you're letting someone do there job??

Do you go to a hotel and then clean the room for the next guest or do you let the staff do it??

I'm guessing you do what most of us do and make sure the room isn't in a complete state but I doubt you break out the hoover or scrub the jax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

dudara wrote: »
    Same with people who bring their dirty plates and cutlery to the kitchenette in work, but leave it on the counter or in the sink, rather than stacking it into the dishwasher.

Never mind putting them in the dishwasher, scraping the dregs off the plate would have been more than enough for me when I was a pot washer in a hotel.

Lounge staff seemed to be decent enough for it but restaurant staff seemed to think they were from another planet.

Anyway, in topic. :pac: Yes I would clear my own table in a fast food restaurant. And I would also bring empty glasses down to the bar if I thought staff were stretched.

Two words: common decency. Costs nothing can be rare unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Am I not depriving someone of a job by cleaning the table ?

Common decency can be applied to anything though, sure if the bus driver looks tired its only common decency that I offer to drive the bus.
    I do practice it but that doesn't excuse places of business that are ill prepared to deal with large volume of customers, it's not rocket science a pub or restaurant will be busier at certain times of the day and on certain days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Common decency can be applied to anything though, sure if the bus driver looks tired its only common decency that I offer to drive the bus.
    I do practice it but that doesn't excuse places of business that are ill prepared to deal with large volume of customers, it's not rocket science a pub or restaurant will be busier at certain times of the day and on certain days.

The way I see it is that if I can do something for someone that will help make things easier, while doing so being no skin off my own nose, then I might as well do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

are you happy to pay more for your food to cover the cost of the extra staff?

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    The way I see it is that if I can do something for someone that will help make things easier, while doing so being no skin off my own nose, then I might as well do it.

To be honest that's the way I look at it aswell, and I would clean up after myself to a certain extent. But I wouldn't pass judgement on people who don't bring a tray up to a bin in a fast food place.

I think a lot of the time it does come down to staff numbers, if you need more people then call them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

First post in a long time.

As someone who currently works in fast food and has occasionally been out on the front lobby cleaning, I can confirm that it makes life a million times easier if people clean their trays away.

When its busy, its very difficult to keep all of the tables clean at all times. There may be a few minutes before I get to the table and clean it down as there are other jobs to be done other than tables like sweeping the floor, stocking up, mopping up spills, changing the bins, checking the bathrooms and helping customers etc.

I had someone literally beckon me over to his table (that a family had just left so I had not had a chance to get to it yet) and point at the table. He didnt say a word, just pointed. I dont mind at all if people politely ask me to clean the table but that was a bit much imo.

Its even grand when people gather everything onto the tray and leave it there rather than napkins covered in sauce, half eaten chips and burgers scattered every where.

Even before I worked in fast food I put my tray away as it only takes an extra minute to empty it into the bin as youre leaving.

are you happy to pay more for your food to cover the cost of the extra staff?

That argument could be applied to anything?

Sure I'm a pilot so why would I need to pay full fare for my ticket when I could just fly the plane.

I don't hop into a taxi and expect to drive myself home and get a discount for it.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

That argument could be applied to anything?

Sure I'm a pilot so why would I need to pay full fare for my ticket when I could just fly the plane.

I don't hop into a taxi and expect to drive myself home and get a discount for it.

:(

Well I know you're exaggerating to make a point, but I think the regulators would have an issue in both of those instances.

I suppose it depends whether you consider it part of the staff's jobs, and their jobs alone, to clear trays from the tables. In my opinion, if bins are provided, as they are in most fast food places, then it's not necessarily their job to clear up after me. If no bins/racks are provided e.g. in a more formal restaurant, then it is the wait staff's duty, and theirs alone, to collect dishes.

And by the way, you mention that the argument could be applied to anything. That's also true for the reverse argument - 'Sure I'm doing someone out of a job if I clean up after myself'. I clean up after myself when I have lunch at work. If I didn't they might have to hire a cleaner to do so. I clean my own house, if I didn't I would have to hire a cleaner, so I'm doing someone out of a job.

Kat97 wrote: »
    First post in a long time.

As someone who currently works in fast food and has occasionally been out on the front lobby cleaning, I can confirm that it makes life a million times easier if people clean their trays away.

When its busy, its very difficult to keep all of the tables clean at all times. There may be a few minutes before I get to the table and clean it down as there are other jobs to be done other than tables like sweeping the floor, stocking up, mopping up spills, changing the bins, checking the bathrooms and helping customers etc.

I had someone literally beckon me over to his table (that a family had just left so I had not had a chance to get to it yet) and point at the table. He didnt say a word, just pointed. I dont mind at all if people politely ask me to clean the table but that was a bit much imo.

Its even grand when people gather everything onto the tray and leave it there rather than napkins covered in sauce, half eaten chips and burgers scattered every where.

Even before I worked in fast food I put my tray away as it only takes an extra minute to empty it into the bin as youre leaving.

I understand completely what you're saying, I used to work in places that serve food but there's no obligation for the customer to clean up after themselves. That's not their job, it's mine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yes but you're also depriving someone of a job by not dropping litter everywhere you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

looksee wrote: »
    What is worse is the people who give their cup a bit of a rinse and leave it on the draining board as though it is clean.
    Jesus Christ, that annoys me so much. :mad:

maudgonner wrote: »
    Well I know you're exaggerating to make a point, but I think the regulators would have an issue in both of those instances.

I suppose it depends whether you consider it part of the staff's jobs, and their jobs alone, to clear trays from the tables. In my opinion, if bins are provided, as they are in most fast food places, then it's not necessarily their job to clear up after me. If no bins/racks are provided e.g. in a more formal restaurant, then it is the wait staff's duty, and theirs alone, to collect dishes.

And by the way, you mention that the argument could be applied to anything. That's also true for the reverse argument - 'Sure I'm doing someone out of a job if I clean up after myself'. I clean up after myself when I have lunch at work. If I didn't they might have to hire a cleaner to do so. I clean my own house, if I didn't I would have to hire a cleaner, so I'm doing someone out of a job.

How is it my responsibility to make sure that the place is clean?? Just because they leave out bins!! That's not my job, should I just get the food myself then?
    I work in a place that provides a cleaner, I dont leave the place in a mess but I'm not hoovering the floors after I finish work. That's not in my job description.
    And I'm sure where u work they do hire a cleaner unless its a small company where everyone pitches in.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

In the pub I would usually leave my empty glass over to the bar unless the place was heaving busy and I just couldn't get a spot.

In the cinema I always take rubbish with me and bin it at the door. I used to work in a cinema and the ushers (who also doubled as cleaners in between showings) had a name for people who left rubbish behind: "dirty b*st*rds."

Cinemas charge a fortune for tickets and food, they can clean up themselves and put my stuff in the bin. That's your job, so why would you moan??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I don't work in fast food but work weekends as a waitress in a hotel. We had a guest from some middle eastern country throw his glass on the floor and say that he wanted a woman to clean it up. I bet he thought he was creating jobs too. :rolleyes:

I always lift my trays. If I didn't want to do it I'd go to a restaurant with table service!

Having worked in fast food before, I know that no new positions are created due to messier customers. What did happen was that someone from the till might be asked to help with cleaning, so I hope those who leave their mess behind in fast food restaurants like their service slow.

That's not really an excuse though, customers should clean up after themselves,why?
    There's no obligation to, Im expecting some sort of service for the money I pay. I might as well just stay at home and have something to eat or get my food to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

How is it my responsibility to make sure that the place is clean?? Just because they leave out bins!! That's not my job, should I just get the food myself then?
    I work in a place that provides a cleaner, I dont leave the place in a mess but I'm not hoovering the floors after I finish work. That's not in my job description.
    And I'm sure where u work they do hire a cleaner unless its a small company where everyone pitches in.

My understanding, and that of many people here obviously, is that in fast food restaurants where bins & tray stores are provided to the public then it's expected that the customers clear their own trays. In the same way that it's their responsibility to carry the food from the counters to their tables. So it is 'your job' as a customer, in my opinion.

If not, then why would they have the bins in public areas, instead of behind the counters in the kitchen, as is the case in table service restaurants?

(And yes, I work in a small company so we have a cleaner come in once a week at most. Out of courtesy to my coworkers, and out of self-respect I clean up after myself. I also change the loo roll in the bathroom when it runs out, tidy when there are visitors coming and the place is untidy etc. None of which is in my job description)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

Like what a few have said already, I would dump the stuff into a bin if provided, or else leave them on the tray left wherever you were sitting. In either situation I'd leave the tray at the table so staff know that it has to be cleaned (unless it's not too busy and they know where you were sitting). Or in a restaurant say with yousrelf and one other person, scrape the leftovers onto one plate and leave this plate plus cutlery on top of the cleared plate (wouldn't stack more than 2 - plates can be heavy to carry)

Muahahaha made a good point that the staff might assume a table was clean if everything was cleared away but there are still crumbs, food stains etc still there and spread germs if new customers sitting there weren't aware.

I worked in a supermarket (so working at tills, shop floor on top of clearing tables)where there was a seating area to eat food from the deli. Had no issue with cleaning up after them even if feral savages had eaten there. What annoyed me were people who messed with the salt/pepper if they only had coke/coffee, pour vinegar into the condiment sachet holder etc, causing more hassle for staff. Some places won't hire more staff so the argument of creating more work is no use.

You're not doing anyone out of a job if you just leave the place in a reasonable state for cleaning, the staff would appreciate this as they have 101 other jobs to do in their shift on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

That's not really an excuse though, customers should clean up after themselves,why?
    There's no obligation to, Im expecting some sort of service for the money I pay. I might as well just stay at home and have something to eat or get my food to go.

Because it's the business model they chose, and you're choosing to eat at their establishment. Why do I have to put the food in my own plate in some buffet places, whereas others have manned food stations? Why can't I pick up a pizza in a delivery-only Pizza Hut? Why doesn't a street vendor provide me with seating if that's what I want?

The service you're paying for in a typical fast food restaurant is essentially just food, fast. A lot of them won't even provide trays after midnight to discourage (drunk) customers from sticking around. If it's so important to you that your mess is cleaned up (by default, not by the inevitability of "ffs not another one...") you should go to a sit down restaurant with table service. It might be more expensive, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I always put away my own rubbish, I understand the logic of leaving it for some people but I think its a bit of a lazy thing to do. Its not like you have to bring the stuff into the kitchens to have it washed, its just placing your rubbish in a bin which you pass on your way out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

In my world it's called common courtesy, not "Fukit- it's someone else's job so I won't bother.

Advertisement