Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of a border poll?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

:) Scaremongering stays in the realms of reality to be effective. Mary's version reads like a comedy sketch - a bad one. :)

I used to think Mary was a joke parody of "Katydid's" profile, but I'm beginning to think Mary isn't even Arlene Foster at all, but that she's Ian Paisleys right hand man: "William Ulster Man", in disguise. As you say, a bad comedy sketch, but they do exist ......

(for the record, Gerry Adams hid the pineapple and cheddar on a stick)

If simple she probably won't be be able to self diagnose.

Sure we learnt that long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

You have, however, been taught what freedom actually is.

Freedom in the 20s, 30s,40's etc 26 counties was jobs only for Catholics in the Public service, (a Catholic state for a Catholic people as DeValera said), no contraception, renaming of streets / places after terrorists, ne temere, Irish language requirements, wealth redistribution, industrial schools, magdalene laundries, cover up of abuse etc. No surprise even a third of northern Catholics do not want to join us, but instead want to remain part of the UK, according to the BBC poll.

maryishere wrote: »
    Freedom in the 20s, 30s,40's etc 26 counties was jobs only for Catholics in the Public service, (a Catholic state for a Catholic people as DeValera said), no contraception, renaming of streets / places after terrorists, ne temere, Irish language requirements, wealth redistribution, industrial schools, magdalene laundries, cover up of abuse etc. No surprise even a third of northern Catholics do not want to join us, according to the BBC poll.

Simple it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Well said, and keep it as long as you can. Keep your freedom - freedom to parade in your own areas, freedom from having streets and areas renamed like happened here in the Republic ( British sounding names like Wellington will beome G. Adams avenue or Bobby Sands st ), freedom from Irish language, culture programmes, freedom from Irish being a a requirement for public service jobs ( like it was here for most of the 20th century, freedom from having Adams face on all Ireland stamps.

Re naming streets after terrorists like Bobby sands it doesn't surprise me that there is one named after a pretty bog standard terrorist in that bastion of democracy, Iran. Lol...

As far as I know they also named a burger bar over there after him too.... And no I'm not taking the pee pee here either though I found it pretty funny. (Though is it any worse than rich Irish Americans holding a BANQUET in honour of the hunger strikers ffs?)

Of course wee bobby had streets named after him in the US and France also. I wonder after their recent hands on experience with terrorism do they think this was still a good idea. It would be like London naming a street after one of the 911 or Paris terrorist attacks. Luckily the UK are above such juvenile nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Simple it is so

I think what she is trying to say is that because the republic turned into a conservative catholic state that it was OK for Unionists with British backing to oppress nationalists to such an extent that it caused a conflict/war.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Re naming streets after terrorists like Bobby sands it doesn't surprise me that there is one named after a pretty bog standard terrorist in that bastion of democracy, Iran. Lol...

As far as I know they also named a burger bar over there after him too.... And no I'm not taking the pee pee here either though I found it pretty funny. (Though is it any worse than rich Irish Americans holding a BANQUET in honour of the hunger strikers ffs?)

Of course wee bobby had streets named after him in the US and France also. I wonder after their recent hands on experience with terrorism do they think this was still a good idea. It would be like London naming a street after one of the 911 or Paris terrorist attacks. Luckily the UK are above such juvenile nonsense.

Or naming places after Cromwell etc? Be hard to for somebody from Dresden or Colonge to happily roam streets named after Churchill too.

If you have an unbiased comment to make on commemorating those involved in conflicts or wars, I will happily engage, but you have to recognise that this happens everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Mary there's only one way you can win this argument. Pull out the old clinker, the diamond bullet so to speak. That list of death stats that you've posted about a hundred times. That's sure to swing this back in your favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Thumbo and Mary should really meet up. I reckon Drogheda and a Battle of the Boyne tour.

I think what she is trying to say is that because the republic turned into a conservative catholic state that it was OK for Unionists with British backing to oppress nationalists to such an extent that it caused a conflict/war.

lol. the most oppressed people ever, MOPS, for short ;)

• Advertisement

Or naming places after Cromwell etc? Be hard to for somebody from Dresden or Colonge to happily roam streets named after Churchill too.

If you have an unbiased comment to make on commemorating those involved in conflicts or wars, I will happily engage, but you have to recognise that this happens everywhere.

Sands was a terrorist. Nothing more, nothing less. Republicans spout on how how streets/banquets etc etc were named after him around the world. Even in holes such as Iran where they also named a burger bar (snigger) after him.

The fact the the us and France also named a street after a terrorist maybe hits home now they both have been hit hard by terrorism. (This time not Irish republican terrorism but you get mt drift)

Did wee booby have much connection with Iran?..... Or France for that matter,. I put the yank aspect down to dopey Irish Americans who thought bombs were romantic...... Until it happened to them.... Oops.

Are you in denial of thousands of civil rights marchers being intimidated beaten, and shot too Mary. Or were they all exaggerating or 'RA involved disguise?

Thumbo and Mary should really meet up. I reckon Drogheda and a Battle of the Boyne tour.

Maybe you and Francie should go for some long walks on the beach, just like Gerry and Liam.... ;-)

Maybe you and Francie should go for some long walks on the beach, just like Gerry and Liam.... ;-)

Or you and Mary could be like Iris and that coffee shop lad.

It's no laughing matter. Sure Gerry compares himself to rosa parks ffs....

Gerry was able to think a lot about things whilst he waited outside some whitehouse shindig. Pure rosa parks I tells ya......

Are you in denial of thousands of civil rights marchers being intimidated beaten, and shot too Mary.

Thousands of marchers were not shot. It was a riot situation, and some were shot. Not thousands. Thousands were not beaten either. There were lots of things that happened on both sides before that. How about eleven years before the troubles, when on one night alone 150 IRA men attacked various people / places?

Sands was a terrorist. Nothing more, nothing less. Republicans spout on how how streets/banquets etc etc were named after him around the world. Even in holes such as Iran where they also named a burger bar (snigger) after him.

The fact the the us and France also named a street after a terrorist maybe hits home now they both have been hit hard by terrorism. (This time not Irish republican terrorism but you get mt drift)

Did wee booby have much connection with Iran?..... Or France for that matter,. I put the yank aspect down to dopey Irish Americans who thought bombs were romantic...... Until it happened to them.... Oops.

Anything to say on commemorating people who died in conflict or war the world over and the reactions of those they defeated?
    Your biased opinion is pretty common the world over, people spit on statues all over the world too, even attack them and pull them down.

Would you, like me, be in favour of banning the display of triumphalist things like this? Or just the ones you find offensive?

Anything to say on commemorating people who died in conflict or war

Sands had the choice to live or die : the organisation to which he belonged did not give that choice to many of its victims. A despicable man.

Or you and Mary could be like Iris and that coffee shop lad.

Im attached thanks, but at least the Robinson thing was consensual though wasn't it? Embarrassing but pretty common probably.

Good Irish republican Liam's antics though with his child...... maybe in cork you do things differently, that's all i could say on the matter.

Thousands of marchers were not shot. It was a riot situation, and some were shot. Not thousands. Thousands were not beaten either. There were lots of things that happened on both sides before that. How about eleven years before the troubles, when on one night alone 150 IRA men attacked various people / places?

I didn't say thousands were shot. I said, thousands of civil rights marchers were intimidated, shot and beaten.
    You do understand how 'lists' work? You add up all the things mentioned in the list.
    And if you add together the list of people intimidated, shot and beaten you get into thousands.

Civil rights members were all in the IRA, is that what you are saying in the is cond part? Is that why you think they were attacked in the way they were???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Terrorism

The British Empire was built on terrorism. The British state and its goons shouldn't go looking for trouble and then start crying about terrorism when people fight back.

Anything to say on commemorating people who died in conflict or war the world over and the reactions of those they defeated?
    Your biased opinion is pretty common the world over, people spit on statues all over the world too, even attack them and pull them down.

Would you, like me, be in favour of banning the display of triumphalist things like this? Or just the ones you find offensive?

Nope. I quite enjoy the fact that an Irish terrorist like wee booby has a street named after him in IRAN..... And also a burger bar... It gives me loads of laughs. As I said everyone gets what they deserve...

Im attached thanks, but at least the Robinson thing was consensual though wasn't it? Embarrassing but pretty common probably.

Good Irish republican Liam's antics though with his child...... maybe in cork you do things differently, that's all i could say on the matter.

You are a bit fascinated by Cork. Michael Collins admirer i reckon.

David Tweed a good traditional unionist. Do you want to just keep picking people on both sides? Btw you and Mary could go to the cinema...good film out breaking records.

Sands had the choice to live or die : the organisation to which he belonged did not give that choice to many of its victims. A despicable man.

What chance had the people of India,Colonge and Dresden or the innocent victims of Blair?

The British Empire was built on terrorism. The British state and its goons shouldn't go looking for trouble and then start crying about terrorism when people fight back.

Fighting back???? Like loughgall for example. The ra must be the most whingy, whiniest , terrorist and criminal organisation ever. The IRA loved to shoot and bomb people but they then run to the courts over anyone having the nerve to shoot them.

Thank the Lord those IRA terrorists were stopped In their terrorist acts that night. No doubt it saved many, many innocent lives in Norn iron in the longer term.

I didn't say thousands were shot.
    You implied they may have been, as you said "Are you in denial of thousands of civil rights marchers being intimidated beaten, and shot too". I suppose you will be blaming the British for the fact they rioted too? And do you think the intimidation, shooting and beatings were all carried out by one side? How about eleven years before the troubles, when on one night alone 150 IRA men attacked various people / places?

Fighting back???? Like loughgall for example. The ra must be the most whingy, whiniest , terrorist and criminal organisation ever. The IRA loved to shoot and bomb people but they then run to the courts over anyone having the nerve to shoot them.

Thank the Lord those IRA terrorists were stopped In their terrorist acts that night. No doubt it saved many, many innocent lives in Norn iron in the longer term.

Thumbo your own government considered them political prisoners?!..

The IRA were interned here in the 26 counties both in the 40's and during the IRA campaign of 1958-1964. In fact DeValera let some IRA die on hunger strike in jail in the 40's. Nobody cared too much, the IRA were despised so much by most people.

The IRA were interned here in the 26 counties both in the 40's and during the IRA campaign of 1958-1964. In fact DeValera let some IRA die on hunger strike in jail in the 40's. Nobody cared too much, the IRA were despised so much by most people.

We have moved on to the 1960's in Maryland. Just 50 more years to go.

• Advertisement

Once a terrorist organisation, always a terrorist organisation....including their offshoots.

Advertisement