Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor/WWE Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,765 ✭✭✭✭CSF

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Conor getting that much of a reaction is really putting him over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Conor looking for a gig as The Marnie 6 before his showdown with The Marnie 3/4/5 at a WM in the future.

I'd say (just my guess) he want's to try acting before he eventually ends up in a WWE ring so why not get a working relationship going early with WWE films.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHuBXx2lO3oAdzAqRVzn0DOn_mhFt-0FTladN_ZjrHlsUYBTMT

Couldn't help but giggle reading your message and picturing Miz lining up opposite Sean Connery :D

Junkie did a piece on the most interesting reactions. I thought Flair was amusing, since that is the gimmick.

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=205957

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Just as well Vince has come round to wrestlers being allowed to show there tattoo's or Conor would have to wear some god ugly jumpsuit to hide that god ugly chest tattoo he has if he was ever to step into a WWE ring.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2dkhd3t.jpg

Flair wins this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Pentecost

UFC fighter Luke Sanders wisely defending his girlfriend's colleagues here

http://twitter.com/coolhandmma/status/762393456324980737

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Mmafighting.com posited that the amount of wrestler responses could hint at this all being organised beforehand with summerslam coming a day after Mac's next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

If all these WWE wrestlers are so tough, and are so badass at fighting for real (like they're implying), why aren't they in UFC making way more money for way less appearances? Besides all the steroids, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Tssk wrote: »
    Mmafighting.com posited that the amount of wrestler responses could hint at this all being organised beforehand with summerslam coming a day after Mac's next fight.

I would have thought this is playing the long game for Wrestlemania?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If all these WWE wrestlers are so tough, and are so badass at fighting for real (like they're implying), why aren't they in UFC making way more money for way less appearances? Besides all the steroids, of course.

The only ones I've seen so far commenting on it are Reigns, Big E and Sasha Banks who wouldn't make anywhere near what they are making in WWE when you consider they are big merchandise sellers and Kurt Angle is like 50 and UFC wasn't as mainstream when he got into wrestling especially when you consider someone like Ken Shamrock who was in UFC was also in WWE with Angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think the average wrestler makes more than the average fighter tbh, top of the card is a different story mind. I'm confused, are the steroids in wwe or ufc cause it's both from what I can see otherwise testing wouldn't need to happen :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah look up fighter pay, it's a big deal. Not to mention most of the guys grew up wanting to be wrestlers rather than MMA fighters.

Wait, ****, am I involved now?! Noooo, it's all promo! Good chance there was a meeting behind the scenes where both McGregor and WWE agreed this. He has/had a similar deal in place with Mayweather.

Certainly a possibility it's a work but anyone floating the idea that all the WWE performers who tweeted in response to him are playing along are off base here. if there were a deal, Vince and Paul would be playing it very close to the vest. Half the roster talks to Meltzer, Keller, Johnson, Alvarez etc so no way it wouldn't have leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The only ones I've seen so far commenting on it are Reigns, Big E and Sasha Banks
    Plus, Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler, Drew Galloway, Sheamus, Curtis Axel, Titus O'Neil, MVP, and Kevin Owens. I'm sure some of them could make more money in MMA, if they could actually fight for real.
    ERG89 wrote:
    I think the average wrestler makes more than the average fighter tbh
    On the road most of the year, paying for hotels, restaurants vs home meals, etc. Actual net pay I would think is much higher for decent fighters in UFC.
    ERG89 wrote:
    I'm confused, are the steroids in wwe or ufc cause it's both from what I can see otherwise testing wouldn't need to happen redface.png
    Oh, it's in both. Whose testing is better though, UFC's or WWE's "Wellness Policy"?
    leggo wrote:
    Not to mention most of the guys grew up wanting to be wrestlers rather than MMA fighters.
    Should stick to scripted promos then, rather than trash talk with real fighters.

Should stick to scripted promos then, rather than trash talk with real fighters.

:pac: you don't really see what's happening here, do you?

On Saturday 20th August, UFC are hosting the fight between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz.

On Sunday 21st August, WWE present the SummerSlam pay-per view.

Both take place within the entertainment industry and both succeed or fail not based on who wins or loses a real or scripted fight, but by how many people pay to see them. The easiest way of courting the most amount of free publicity for these events is to say something controversial so that the media talks about you in front of millions of people, getting conversations like this going on social media and in message boards and across watercoolers around the world. People talk about McGregor and WWE's comments, then they invariably get around to discussing UFC 202 and SummerSlam in doing so, and the nature of these discussions taking place everywhere makes everything involved appear at the height of cultural relevance and, thus, 'must-see' and therefore the hope for the people involved is that that converts into eyeballs and money for their upcoming events.

None of these people care about who'd win in a fight. They are doing the same thing Stone Cold Steve Austin and CM Punk did when they went all "I'd bash you" while promoting the latest WWE game. It's promotion, marketing, and it's working really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Adding to what Leggo said, Connor McGregor said something controversial, and he delivered with a good old fashioned, hook, line, sinker..

Self promotion/hyping 101 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Conors smack talk though does not really work when he is a midget
    I have never had a more serious fight in my life than with my brother over the Macho Man/Stretch Armstrong toy in the late 80s and I would probably batter Conor as I would have about 8 stone on him. Never mind the athletes in the WWE

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I would probably batter Conor as I would have about 8 stone on him.
    Bwa-hahahahaha! Good one! :D

• Advertisement

If you wanna talk about this as a hypothetical scenario, 'just for fun', Conor would likely beat the crap out of anyone in WWE without any kind of formal training. For a start, they wouldn't be able to hit or grab him as some of the elite in MMA aren't even able to do so. Secondly they'd have no chin and would likely get knocked out with one punch considering he has KO power, and if his punches didn't do the trick, a flying Capoeira kick to the jaw would knock anyone silly.

Weight classes mean nothing if you're not dealing with two professional fighters of relatively equal training and qualifications. McGregor is a PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER. His job in life is to knock people the **** out. He knocked out one of MMA's best ever fighters (Jose Aldo) with a counter punch while walking backwards. So while weight difference matters in, say, McGregor/Diaz as Diaz fights at a heavier weight class than Conor is used to and is used to withstanding the blows of professional fighters much heavier than him, it doesn't when it comes to you and I, or WWE fighters without any kind of fighting background. We've never felt anything like Conor's power, aren't conditioned or prepared to deal with basic fighting techniques like circling (meaning Conor would be able to put us exactly where he wants us before doing what he wanted to us) and wouldn't even be able to land a blow. It'd be a massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭savemejebus

leggo wrote: »
    It'd be a massacre.

Gawd, remember Butterbean vs Bart Gunn?

leggo wrote: »
    If you wanna talk about this as a hypothetical scenario, 'just for fun', Conor would likely beat the crap out of anyone in WWE without any kind of formal training. For a start, they wouldn't be able to hit or grab him as some of the elite in MMA aren't even able to do so. Secondly they'd have no chin and would likely get knocked out with one punch considering he has KO power, and if his punches didn't do the trick, a flying Capoeira kick to the jaw would knock anyone silly.

Weight classes mean nothing if you're not dealing with two professional fighters of relatively equal training and qualifications. McGregor is a PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER. His job in life is to knock people the **** out. He knocked out one of MMA's best ever fighters (Jose Aldo) with a counter punch while walking backwards. So while weight difference matters in, say, McGregor/Diaz as Diaz fights at a heavier weight class than Conor is used to and is used to withstanding the blows of professional fighters much heavier than him, it doesn't when it comes to you and I, or WWE fighters without any kind of fighting background. We've never felt anything like Conor's power, aren't conditioned or prepared to deal with basic fighting techniques like circling (meaning Conor would be able to put us exactly where he wants us before doing what he wanted to us) and wouldn't even be able to land a blow. It'd be a massacre.

There's some truth in much of what you've written, but the notion that an MMA Fighter has a better chin than anyone else doesn't bear scrutiny. You can't train yourself to absorb a punch to the jaw. That's why some guys in MMA can take a licking and keep going and some fold easy. It's genetics.

Conor would be favoured in a scrap against most guys in WWE, but a wrestler like Ziggler or Gable would have a good shot at nullifying him, and he certainly isn't knocking 250 pound guys unconscious the way he knocked out guys like Aldo, Poirier, Siver etc out. Those guys are walking around at 160 pounds. Plus bigger guys with even the slightest skill like Lesnar, Jordan, Hager, Angle are taking him to the woodshed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Dolph is too far gone, Angle is way too far gone, hager from size advantage alone would probably kill him with some training.

In general though, a guy as immersed in mma training as migratory would kill most wrestlers. There'd always be some really obvious weakness to exploit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

Conors smack talk though does not really work when he is a midget
    I have never had a more serious fight in my life than with my brother over the Macho Man/Stretch Armstrong toy in the late 80s and I would probably batter Conor as I would have about 8 stone on him. Never mind the athletes in the WWE

You're 20 stone with no fight training? You'd be gassed within 30 seconds of a fight against him and beaten in another 10.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ceegee wrote: »
    You're 20 stone with no fight training? You'd be gassed within 30 seconds of a fight against him and beaten in another 10.

Shhhh! I wanna see how this pans out!
    Dolph is too far gone, Angle is way too far gone, hager from size advantage alone would probably kill him with some training.

Absolutely, if it were a decade ago (actually 20 for angle) and trained for MMA they'd be up to the task; but not after many years of a brutal road schedule and taking bumps, ESPECIALLY Dolph and Angle, who won't stop punishing their bodies.

Tuna Meltz said it was a not a work (but it could develop into one), it seems extremely likely Conor's just trolling for attention given UFC is on right before SummerSlam and cross-over's the name of the game atm. Everybody wins really, even wrestlers getting their 15 minutes jumping on this.

MOD EDIT: I've split this into it's own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Wrestlers are so thin skinned. That's all this episode has reinforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't believe how this has upset so many wrestlers. It seems McGregor is a better worker than most of the roster (though at least Jericho's response was funny). The fact he gave props to Hunter, Vince and Rock should have been a pretty big clue to the workings of his mind.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ceegee wrote: »

Not quite 20 stone but also 40 years old !

Clothesline from hell and a rikishi big bum in the corner would sort him out , I regularly lift my 4 year old nephew up over my head and they look the same size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭ceegee

Not quite 20 stone but also 40 years old !

Clothesline from hell and a rikishi big bum in the corner would sort him out , I regularly lift my 4 year old nephew up over my head and they look the same size

A 5ft 9in 4 year old... might have the next Andre on your hands.

Have to laugh at all this midget talk, funniest was Taz having a go at him being short on his podcast til he found out they were the same height. lol.

Mark Hunt is only 1 inch taller than McGregor, didnt hear anyone call him a midget when he took a juiced up Lesnar to a points decision

Advertisement