Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor/WWE Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

ted1 wrote: »
    Because he gets paid well and wont get killed or suffer brain damage.

Perro Aguayo died not too long ago. I could name others... Brain injuries in pro wrestling are well documented - CM Punk said in an interview in November '14 that he wrestled in WWE with a concussion, Daniel Bryan worked a few matches last year after a concussion.

Anyway, can't see WWE taking him - Conor could make more in MMA, Brock Lesnar gets what, $6m per year? Can't see WWE paying Conor Lesnar levels of money. He could make them lots of money and boost Network numbers but honestly, they'd f*ck it up - Vince McMahon would scoff that he is tiny. They used Ronda because they've been on a "WWE is equal opportunities/feminist" buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I don't know. I think if Brock Lesnar was gone in the morning they'd be scrambling for someone like a Conor McGregor to pop a rating and boost network subscriptions. Purely hypothetical of course, but there's going to be a huge void left when/if Brock Lesnar leaves. Anyway, I personally think Conor McGregor is working all of us, and the UFC may or may not be in on it as well. There's no way he's fought his last match in the UFC, in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Uncle Walt wrote: »
    http://www.wwe.com/videos/is-conor-mcgregor-on-his-way-to-wwe?sf24732269=1

Strange of WWE to even mention someone like McGregor

Not strange they're just jumping on the bandwagon and hoping to attract some views from McGregor's fanbase. It's essentially clickbait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's not in his nature, he likes the game too much, WWE is a joke ..

Loving your comments :-D

Conor doesn't care about UFC. Conor cares about $$$$$$$.

Vince could give him a fortune. Makes great business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think he be a big catch for one off appearance maybe going into WM 33, maybe coming up agaisn't a John Cena in a match. McGregor would be the hottest heel in the world, he can cut a promo (can't imagine him doing a PG type promo myself lol) and he would bring in big numbers for WWE. Vince would have to offer up some money though to attract him.

I think he would probably do that rather then become a full time worker for WWE. Although I doubt he do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What would they do with him? Unlike Lesnar he's no experience ever of professional wrestling. He'd have to be trained from scratch. Granted he'd mostly likely take to it well but it's not a simple transition either.

I think he would be mad to jack in his career at 27. He should grind out another 5 years or so before considering wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If he were ever to join (which I doubt), I'd like to see him being used similar to Tyson with D-X. If Balor Club gets up and running he would be a cool addition as a mouthpiece.

'We're not here to take part; we're here to take over.'

I can't see him wanting to learn the process of in-ring competition. If he wants to retire young, presumably for his health, and he doesn't like media appearances then it doesn't make sense to become a member of the roster where he would be putting his body through physical strain, and then having to pop up all over the States.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

He's posted on his facebook anyway. It's a long post but the gist is that he asked for a break from all the promoting in order to concentrate on training which they don't want to give him. and he has not retired

It's a long message so I don't want to post it here but here's the link
    https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1260441947357435

Can't see WWE paying him several millions just for him to do promos. If he could bring UFC fans to WWE and they subscribe to the network and attend shows and buy merch and the ratings go up when he's on Raw then maybe WWE would bite but the casual UFC fans that Conor draws and pushes buyrates up past a million want to see him do stuff other than talk. The talking he did in interviews, video packages and on press tours is to get "buts in seats" and PPV buys.

They're not going to pay him 7 figures to wrestle in front of 400 people in a University and they're digging their heels in with Roman Reigns.

I don't see it happening outside of a Floyd Mayweather type deal. Not sure how his UFC contract works though especially wrt pro wrestling appearances. He has to officially retire to get out of it I think, Twitter doesn't count.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

too lazy to clean it up from it's FB format but...
    I am just trying to do my job and fight here.
    I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.
    I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.
    There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.
    50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.
    Nothing else was going through my mind.
    It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.
    Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a **** morning show did not get me this life.
    Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a **** about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.
    I'm coming for my revenge here.
    I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.
    With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.
    I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.
    I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.
    But it was denied.
    There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.
    So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.
    And all with one tweet.
    Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.
    I must isolate myself now.
    I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.
    I can not dance for you this time.
    It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.
    Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.
    He came in with no **** to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.
    Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.
    I'm doing what I need for me now.
    It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.
    I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.
    I am still ready to go for UFC 200.
    I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.
    If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.
    For the record also -
    For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -
    I AM NOT RETIRED

He is a real heel. Comes across like he believes every word he is saying even when it's stuff like this "Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut " :pac:

• Advertisement

"Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it."

If he's calling every UFC fighter a bum then I guess he won't be spearheading a fighter's union any time soon :pac:

Reads like a climbdown. I'm retired, I'm not retired. All of this looks like primadonna nonsense to the mainstream media who haven't a clue how "the game" works.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Will probably make the main roster before Balor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.

Can't believe they're putting him in a feud with Big Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The ultimate trolling of the internet and media and sport in general with.... I'm not fighting to promote the event.

UFC 200 getting headlines all over the world promoting the fact McGregor may not be on the card but we all know he will end up on it.

Both Dana and Conor will get huge $$$ out of this in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

GavRedKing wrote: »
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I really don't think he'd earn that much. What did Mayweather get for WrestleMania - $5m? McGregor earns more than that per UFC fight. Fair enough he doesn't need to go through a training camp for WWE, but really outside of a WrestleMania appearance (and maybe a couple of Raw appearances in the run-up) the money isn't there for McGregor to be there for the rest of the year. Even with WrestleMania it's not as much as a typical fight.

I really don't think he'd earn that much. What did Mayweather get for WrestleMania - $5m? McGregor earns more than that per UFC fight. Fair enough he doesn't need to go through a training camp for WWE, but really outside of a WrestleMania appearance (and maybe a couple of Raw appearances in the run-up) the money isn't there for McGregor to be there for the rest of the year. Even with WrestleMania it's not as much as a typical fight.

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Thought it was 20m. No source for that or anything - just remember reading it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Degag wrote: »
    Thought it was 20m. No source for that or anything - just remember reading it at the time.

Sounds too high. The PPV itself grossed $24 million in ppv sales with a gate of $6 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'd say we'll see him fight in the UFC a good few more times before there's any WWE appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

"Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a **** about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight ass a nice raise."

I'd say that will play well with women.

Here's the thing McGregor: you chose to take part in that circus. You chose to be the dancing monkey throwing out soundbytes.

And you seemed to love every moment of it, yet only now is when we hear about you really hating it when you're facing your first uphill battle after a loss.

He's just a bull****ter angling for a handier number, plain and simple. If he partakes in 200 and wins watch this bloke become the dancing monkey for the media again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

13876358_10154409526852277_2351364174579604499_n.jpg?oh=2f729161bc07af7f91273533356bf6a6&oe=585855A8

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

13876358_10154409526852277_2351364174579604499_n.jpg?oh=2f729161bc07af7f91273533356bf6a6&oe=585855A8

Wrestlemania 33 confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wrestlemania 33 confirmed?

Lol. McGregor's such a troll! Lost a lot of respect for him when he put his fans between himself and UFC with his stupid power play.

McGregor calling out Brock for UFC 210

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Not exactly the wittiest comeback from 'aul Kurt there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

jaykhunter wrote: »

Big E wins. McGregor is a clown, evident alone by his "don" talk. I hope he gets floored by Diaz again.

The sad thing is that when he gets beat again he'll still make a mint between punditry and by reefing the retarded McMahons for appearances where he "pwns" the likes of the Miz.

• Advertisement

Conor looking for a gig as The Marnie 6 before his showdown with The Marnie 3/4/5 at a WM in the future.

I'd say (just my guess) he want's to try acting before he eventually ends up in a WWE ring so why not get a working relationship going early with WWE films.

Advertisement