Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flossing teeth

Options
  • 03-08-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭

who Flosses their Teeth on here? - Do you believe it works? (I suppose you do, otherwise you wouldnt do it) - What do you make of the latest findings on it today saying its not proved to be any benefit to it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do. I'll likely continue to do so. Stuff like this appears in the news all the time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I have never ever flossed my teeth ever! - and i still have most of my teeth and i'm 51 - never had Gum Disease ever either.

For the last year or so I have been using Listerine mouthwash though just to freshen my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I floss every day. Definitely makes a difference to the gums as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

I have never ever flossed my teeth ever! - and i still have most of my teeth and i'm 51 - never had Gum Disease ever either.

For the last year or so I have been using Listerine mouthwash though just to freshen my mouth.

My dentist maintains mouthwash is a big marketing ploy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I suggest that you read our charter!

• Advertisement

Do others on here clean their teesth twice a day or more as well? - I have only ever cleaned my teeth once a day in the morning when I get up. Tried cleaning before goind to bed but didnt feel right - too clean. I want to go to bed tired every nigh with a minging mouth :D

Peregrine wrote: »
    I suggest that you read our charter!

I have short attention span - can you point out the important bit(s)?

Was I supposed to post it in Dental department on Boards?

My dentist maintains mouthwash is a big marketing ploy.

I just see on SKY news how much millions is made on flossing products and kits
    And billions on dental sticks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Do others on here clean their teesth twice a day or more as well? - I have only ever cleaned my teeth once a day in the morning when I get up. Tried cleaning before goind to bed but didnt feel right - too clean. I want to go to bed tired every nigh with a minging mouth :D

Oh, Andy :(

Morning and before bed at least. I might brush after lunch if I'm home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Brush the teeth three times a day, mouthwash in the morning to help with bad bed breath and floss at night. Then coconut oil twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Burial. wrote: »
    Brush the teeth three times a day, mouthwash in the morning to help with bad bed breath and floss at night. Then coconut oil twice a week.

coconut oil??

brushing with coconut oil? - never heard about that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Flossing makes my gums bleed, so I can't imagine it's healthy to have bleeding gums every single day. I only floss when I've eaten something that gets stuck in me teef

Even if flossing does nothing for gum health, it removes rotting particles of food from between your teeth, making your breath a LOT less likely to stink.

I don't believe there's no value in removing rotting food and keeping the bacteria count down either.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

I just see on SKY news how much millions is made on flossing products and kits
    And billions on dental sticks

Does that fact make you think flossing isn't necessary?

coconut oil??

Yeah oil pulling. Basically swishing an oil around your mouth for ten to twenty minutes. Whitens teeth and improves overall dental health. Takes some getting used to but after a few weeks it just becomes a subconscious ritual. I do it in the shower in the morning and spit it out when I hop out and then brush as normal.

I heard if you brush your teeth too much you change the natural Ph in your mouth and the saliva that kills the bacteria and plus if you have something sugary or acidic and brush your teeth straight afterwards you scratch the enamel. - Might be truth in that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I floss my lower teeth a lot. I have very good teeth. Got a cleaning done there a couple months ago though. Bottom teeth - grand. Upper teeth - pain. Apparently it's because I don't floss the upper ones. So now I do :(
    Dentist also reckons mouthwash is a ploy. I like the freshness though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Peregrine wrote: »
    Oh, Andy :(

Oh Andy
    Two Carlsberg, a Bass and a shandy
    And don't forget the aul double brandy

begins at 1.10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Advertisement

Yeah oil pulling. Basically swishing an oil around your mouth for ten to twenty minutes. Whitens teeth and improves overall dental health. Takes some getting used to but after a few weeks it just becomes a subconscious ritual. I do it in the shower in the morning and spit it out when I hop out and then brush as normal.

ooh i might give that a try because I have prett good teeth but they are going/gone brown and I have tried loads of different whitening tooth paste and never see any difference. Mind you a dentist did say that brown teeth are healthier teeth and that teeth are like porcelain and when porcelain gets old it goes brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I heard if you brush your teeth too much you change the natural Ph in your mouth and the saliva that kills the bacteria and plus if you have something sugary or acidic and brush your teeth straight afterwards you scratch the enamel. - Might be truth in that.

Correct.. you should never use a brush after alcohol, especially wine, the acid in the wine softens the enamel and brushing will damage it.
    Oil pulling is better.
    I can't floss, it makes me cringe to feel anything between my teeth.

It's an Ayurvedic (Indian traditional medicine) practice, but there's no good evidence that it does any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

It's rather unusually called pulling. Swish in the mouth for a certain length of time for teeth and gum health as it's supposed to have an anti-bacterial effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Get an interdental brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

anna080 wrote: »
    Flossing makes my gums bleed, so I can't imagine it's healthy to have bleeding gums every single day. I only floss when I've eaten something that gets stuck in me teef

your gums bleed because you aren't cleaning them properly. if you brushed and flossed properly every day, then they shouldn't bleed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

no, what does coconut oil do for ure teeth?

anna080 wrote: »

Brush your gums and floss daily and you won't bleed. Bleeding when you floss can be a sign of gum disease, and the answer isn't to do less of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Oil pulling

• Advertisement

ooh i might give that a try because I have prett good teeth but they are going/gone brown and I have tried loads of different whitening tooth paste and never see any difference. Mind you a dentist did say that brown teeth are healthier teeth and that teeth are like porcelain and when porcelain gets old it goes brown.

Any sort of oil will do, even standard vegetable oil but I use coconut oil a lot in cooking as well as an occasional moisturiser so it's just handier. It tends to be the most popular and most acclaimed oil for it too. Starting out I did every day for two or three weeks and then it's about maintenance really.

Advertisement