Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flossing teeth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I hate using regular floss. But i have a cool water flosser instead. A rechargeable battery water flosser with a nozzle that gets between the teeth with water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Get an interdental brush.

Is that the tiny one for between your teeth. My dentist said I should
    that's pushing it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

anna080 wrote: »
    Flossing makes my gums bleed, so I can't imagine it's healthy to have bleeding gums every single day. I only floss when I've eaten something that gets stuck in me teef

There's a reason for that and it's simply because you don't floss so your gums are inflamed. Guarantee if you get a scale and polish and then floss regularly there will be no bleeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

I floss and brush my teeth regularly, don't have much going for me in the looks department, but do have a decent set of naturally white gnashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

I have never ever flossed my teeth ever! - and i still have most of my teeth and i'm 51 - never had Gum Disease ever either.

For the last year or so I have been using Listerine mouthwash though just to freshen my mouth.
    You have "most of" your teeth? Good going! ;)

I floss daily. Don't bother with mouthwash though - it's too burny, and I reckon it's probably true that it's a racket. Good flouride toothpaste and flossing (and as little sugar as possible of course, that includes fruit) does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Candie wrote: »
    Even if flossing does nothing for gum health, it removes rotting particles of food from between your teeth, making your breath a LOT less likely to stink....

and Listerine mouth was wouldnt do that no? ... but gentler

You have "most of" your teeth? Good going! ;)

majority of absent teeth in my mouth due to abscesses when younger and too much fillings in molars and dentists giving me the options that it was cheaper to pull them .... so I let them pull them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Candie knows everything about everything.

and Listerine mouth was wouldnt do that no? ... but gentler

No, if it's stuck between your teeth then mouthwash won't shift it, you have to remove it manually. All mouthwash will do is make your breath smell a bit better temporarily. If there's food particles rotting in your mouth, you'll eventually develop gum disease and while you might have most of your teeth now, you could wind up getting a good few out all at once in the end.

My dentist sister-in-law takes care of my teeth and she says mouthwash is usually unnecessary with good oral hygiene.

Candie knows everything about everything.

You know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

for a second there i thought you said you let your dentist's sister in law take care of your teeth :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is that the tiny one for between your teeth. My dentist said I should
    that's pushing it though

That's the one.

I get so paranoid about something caught in my teeth, I have packs in my car, in work and in my pocket.

I know I'm wrong and self concious but teeth is the first thing you notice when people new people.

No, if it's stuck between your teeth then mouthwash won't shift it, you have to remove it manually. All mouthwash will do is make your breath smell a bit better temporarily. If there's food particles rotting in your mouth, you'll eventually develop gum disease and while you might have most of your teeth now, you could wind up getting a good few out all at once in the end.

My dentist sister-in-law takes care of my teeth and she says mouthwash is usually unnecessary with good oral hygiene.

im 51 , been terrible over the years at cleaning my teeth just cleaning them once in the morning and (as far as I can remember) have never ever have had Gum Disease ... does that mean I could go another 51 years without gum disease or does the risks get stronger as you get older of gum disease?

im 51 , been terrible over the years at cleaning my teeth just cleaning them once in the morning and (as far as I can remember) have never ever have had Gum Disease ... does that mean I could go another 51 years without gum disease or does the risks get stronger as you get older of gum disease?

Do you go to the dentist regularly? Has he/she told you you don't have gum disease? I'd be surprised at that if you only clean your mouth once a day and don't floss.

I think its probably a case that it does more damage over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I do. I'll likely continue to do so. Stuff like this appears in the news all the time.
    And yet there is hardly any scientific evidence to support that flossing is good for you .
    Why is that do you think ?

Its a silly practice ,and damaging if you don't do it properly.
    Interdental brushes are far better and safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Do you go to the dentist regularly? Has he/she told you you don't have gum disease? I'd be surprised at that if you only clean your mouth once a day and don't floss.

Why are you ruthlessly questioning him? His teeth. His business.

Why are you ruthlessly questioning him? His teeth. His business.

Ruthlessly? He asked me a question!

I don't have a light in his face and his testicles wired up ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I dont go to dentist now ... unless I get a tooth ache! :)

cant remember last time (year) I had a check up - sod that getting poked with that sharp metal thing into me teeth and being told off/lectured to about cleaning them properly :)

IF I have got gum disease I think I will know about it when me teeth start going loose and I start spitting out blood ... then I will most probably get some Corsydol or whatever its called - they (my gums) always look a lovely healthy pinky white colour every morning

• Advertisement

I know I quoted you in my reply ... but I wasnt just replying to you and you alone per se ..... if u know what I mean LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Flossing is a pile of ****tte

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have started flossing lately and now might stop.

I can't help wondering when I'm doing it if I'm not just pushing bacteria or microscopic foot particles that might be around my teeth or gum line up under my gums by flossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

coconut oil??

lol.

Also, taytobreath. :pac:

I have started flossing lately and now might stop.

I can't help wondering when I'm doing it if I'm not just pushing bacteria or microscopic foot particles that might be around my teeth or gum line up under my gums by flossing.

good point - you could be, you dont know unless you have a microscopic microscope so be on the safer side and stop. - Buy yourself something nice with the money saved on not buying dental floss anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Microscopic microscope :pac:

coconut oil seems to have a lot of uses actually it seems. My daughter cooks with it and you can use it as a moisturiser - and the mrs had a dry patch of skin on her arm and used coconut oil for a week or 2 and it cleared it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I apologise.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Microscopic microscope :pac:

yeah - its a tiny microscope :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

coconut oil seems to have a lot of uses actually it seems. My daughter cooks with it and you can use it as a moisturiser - and the mrs had a dry patch of skin on her arm and used coconut oil for a week or 2 and it cleared it up

Coconut oil is great but if you have a dental crown beware, something in it loosens the adhesive that holds the crown in place over time. It could work out an expensive mouthwash. If you've all your own teeth though, fire ahead!

Advertisement