Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JNLR Q2 2016 - 27 July 2016

• 27-07-2016 11:07am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So the report was published a few minutes ago according to the website. I'm assuming as usual the embargo will be until later this afternoon.

Any predictions?

I think Ray D'Arcy will continue to grow. I can see him capturing more of the Liveline audience.

I'd like to see NT Breakfast's reign with Ivan and Chris end on a high.

I think everyone's predicting 2FM's figures to be dire, so I've a feeling it'll either remain static or show some modest improvements.

Could be another tricky book for Today FM, IIRC they were down across the board last time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

98fm will loses a few listeners
    nova will get more listeners
    rte. radio 1 will say be the most listen station in Ireland
    fm104 will be the no 1 music station in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

JNLR: 2FM, which way you headed?
    2FM: South, at full speed.

http://goo.gl/zGVgsC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Matt Cooper up 7,000 to 139,000, Savage down very slightly. Dempsey 180,000

• Site Banned Posts: 55 ✭✭Billy The Shiite Bag

Newstalk losses across the board. Breakfast down 7000, Hooky down 9000 and Moncrieff down 5000.and PK down 7000.

Won't be any ads this time round!

D'arcy up a couple of thousand. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

According to RTE Marion Finucane has 400,000 listeners on Saturday, incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Badabing wrote: »
    According to RTE Marion Finucane has 400,000 listeners on Saturday, incredible

the 'marion finucane' slot, including those who regularly fill in for her...not forgetting her team of researchers, producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I know you cant compare listenership between shows that are not in direct competition with one another but it is hard to believe Alison curtis has more listeners than matt cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

I always go to iLevel's Top 30 page when these results come out, yet again he's done a great job in a short space of time (here).

A few interesting things:

1. Ronan Collins has more listeners than Ray D'Arcy.

2. YoY Anton Savage lost 20,000 listeners - Ryan Tubridy found them and a few more. Tubridy now has the seventh most popular slot on Irish Radio. :confused: While Savage is IMO exceedingly bland and I would never bother listening to him, Tubridy is a literal turn-off (the channel/radio) for me, but he's obviously doing something right. And it's not just the slot - Tubridy has increased the listenership since John Murray left.

3. What Oliver Callan calls Marian Finucane's dinner party seems to be losing popularity with listeners - it's not the presenter though, since her Saturday programme is no. 2 in Ireland. For me, I think the panel format is good, but as many commentators on the MF thread have said, it's the same old voices that's possibly the turn-off.

4. Pat Kenny again just about props up the table, which means his move from RTE was a bad investment for Dinny, what with Sean O'Rourke having 2.5 times the number of listeners.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As usual, thanks iLevel, stellar work.

Some thoughts:

2FM
    Christ, this is a really bad book for 2FM. Breakfast down 11,000 listeners in 3 months and in serious danger of having comparable listenership to when they had 75 less minutes in the show, all other shows down (I'll give Tracey and Eoghan somewhat of a pass as they're relatively new), Game On pulling in a laughable 19,000 listeners... Seriously, why is Game On on 2FM? Can anyone explain that to me?

NT
    Mixed bag really. Pat, while being down YoY is up 5,000 BoB, Lunchtime also made some modest gains, while Moncrieff and OTB maintained. OTB are pulling in some of their highest ever listenership (Second Captains were regularly dipping to just above the 40,000 mark IIRC), Breakfast lost minimal listeners. So book to book it isn't that bad, but the yearly trend would have you a bit worried. Especially Hook being down 11,000. They seem to be moving him to Lunchtime to bridge the gap between Pat and Sean, but if he's not able to keep his own listeners, will he be able to attract new ones?

Today FM
    Dempsey and Cooper steady as ever. Matt seems to have been the bigger winner from Hook's decline, and the two drive shows are holding their audience steady, while at the same time not making any advances.
    Fair play to Louise Duffy you have to say. Going out on a positive book is nice to see. Depending on how Fergal works out over the next year, maybe Today FM will come to regret this decision...
    I really hope this marks the bottoming out of Anton's figures now. A very minute drop BoB I think you'd have to be happy with that. Hopefully he can kick on from this now and start to grow his own audience rather than trying to retain D'Arcy's.

Notable Mentions
    - Ray D'Arcy, down 6,000 BoB, which I'm sure a lot of posters on this forum will delight in, but unless it's replicated in subsequent books, I wouldn't read too much into it.
    - Marion Finucane, I honestly think 400,000 people in this country need serious help.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Sounds like 98 had a good book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

Also worth noting, thanks to iLevel for his fantastic resources....

Lyric FM - classical and minority music station now more popular in Dublin - in terms of reach - than 2FM!

Lyric has 59,000 listeners in the capital, 2FM has 58,000

I thought I'd never see the day!

At this rate, both Nova and Sunshine (57,000 listeners a piece) could also overtake the former 'Big Station'

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Game On pulling in a laughable 19,000 listeners... Seriously, why is Game On on 2FM? Can anyone explain that to me?
    Because RTE wanted to compete with OTB but also want to keep Arena in the RTE1 7PM slot. The compromise was to have it on 2FM, but I agree with you, it's a daft place to have it and totally out of character with whatever they're trying to do with 2FM.

The only thing RTE are probably thinking is that 19K on 2FM is 19K less listeners for OTB, and that's probably good enough from RTEs point of view.

RTE can't really have Arena on any later as most plays etc. start around the 8PM mark, so you'll get your audience at home and en route to events.

I enjoy Arena myself, and will only switch over to OTB when it gets too artsy-fartsy. I never even think of listening to Game On, since 2FM is at the end of my presets and I almost never go there.

Because RTE wanted to compete with OTB but also want to keep Arena in the RTE1 7PM slot.

The sensible thing would have been to put Arena on Lyric and let R1 lash away with the sport till John Creedon. Bit late for that now.

On the 2FM thing, is this still the 'Post the death of Gerry Ryan period' or are we past that now and it's just awful programming? What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Expunge wrote: »

Lyric has 59,000 listeners in the capital, 2FM has 58,000

I completely missed that one! I may have to do something on that (naturally there will be a hat tip). Given that my nom de plume is blue4ever here, I'd have to show just how cultured we Dubs's are and I'll be bringing a selection of Maria Callis to the Hill on August 6th for the Q final.

blue4ever wrote: »
    I completely missed that one! I may have to do something on that (naturally there will be a hat tip). Given that my nom de plume is blue4ever here, I'd have to show just how cultured we Dubs's are and I'll be bringing a selection of Maria Callis to the Hill on August 6th for the Q final.
    Congratulations once again to you on your blog, but make sure 'tis Maria Callas you bring to The Hill with you instead of the lesser-known artiste you were considering ;)

The Triumphal March from Aida by Verdi might be the one to bring to the Hill, Blue.
    Hard to see anyone stopping the Jacks this year.

On the 2FM thing, is this still the 'Post the death of Gerry Ryan period' or are we past that now and it's just awful programming? What's the problem?

Well post GR. The whole programming change was a dice chuck, mainly stacked trying to get more Dublin listeners. I used it once in the yarns earlier, but the Dublin Centric thing is important as it adds numbers. It's not working for 2FM as they added 6,000 in Cork!

serfboard wrote: »
    Congratulations once again to you on your blog, but make sure 'tis Maria Callas you bring to The Hill with you instead of the lesser-known artiste you were considering ;)

FCUK, there I was thinking we was posh!

And cheers!

C

I'm very interested to see where Pat Kenny goes from here.

It's a shame to see such a talented broadcaster bringing up the rear in the top 30 radio shows, where previously he would have been one of its leading lights.

His NT contract expires in 2018, when Pat will be almost 70. Will he just retire gracefully from radio? maybe go back to RTE for some TV work?

I can't see him returning to RTE Radio, and I can't see him being being nearly as well remunerated by Newstalk in a new contract cycle.

Shame it hasn't worked out for him as well as many expected. I had expected he'd make Newstalk a lot more competitive.

2FM's problem is that it's dipped into a completely stacked market where every region has a well established youth-orientated station. Both Spins, Beat, iRadio, RedFM etc covers every market and the presenters play the music the young people want and know how the regional dynamics work. It's why the likes of Martin Guilfoyle can go to Spin South West and be instantly appealing, he knows the craic in that region.

2FM can't do that. If they try to please one area, the rest of them start to switch off.

There hasn't been a youth-orientated national station because there wasn't a market for one. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Faugheen wrote: »
    Sounds like 98 had a good book.

After nearly half a decade of unmitigated crap ones, they must be delira :pac:

They were one of the few stations to not even try spinning the book in PR recently, still no Facebook posts anyway. Spin joined them there last time!

L1011 wrote: »
    After nearly half a decade of unmitigated crap ones, they must be delira :pac:

They were one of the few stations to not even try spinning the book in PR recently, still no Facebook posts anyway. Spin joined them there last time!

Was listening to Brendan O'Loughlin reading the news at 6 and he gave it a small mention at the end. Didn't say they were number one or anything.

On that actually. Their news service is one thing they really have going for them. I think it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Absolutely appalling book for 2FM...Breakfast Republic and Nicky Byrne taking another big hit...and Game On..bizarrely still on the schedule...hitting a new low...but somehow RTE have managed to spin nearly all shows losing listeners as a positive by focusing in on the number 1 in the 15-35 bracket:

"RTÉ Radio 1, 2fm and Today FM were among the big winners in the latest Joint National Listener Research figures published on Wednesday. And according to JNLR figures, 2FM has now overtaken long-time rival Today FM in daily listenership figures for the all-important 15 to 34 audience."

Interesting tweet from Rick O'Shea: https://twitter.com/rickoshea/status/758337259150147584

TodayFM was a mixed bag...Ian steady as usual, not bad from Anton with a minor drop of 1,000...would not be surprised to see him build from here on out...Louise Duffy won back those she lost last book so will be interesting to see if "Ferg" *SHUDDER* can improve on that, and Cooper as I expected with a very good book, I think he will benefit further from Hook departing drive time also. Dermot and Dave though...Today FM have a real problem at lunchtimes...another book with them being down and lunchtimes down 40,000 plus listeners from its heyday circa 2012! They have honestly grown on me the last year but they are obviously not connecting with a lot of people so that is worrying.

Newstalk's new schedule will be interesting to see how it does over the next year, needed refreshing anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eiresandra

According to Dan's quotes this evening, it's still the "loss of Ryan Tubridy" problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Csalem

Thanks again blue4ever for the work you put in on the blog. Always great insight and analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

I know you cant compare listenership between shows that are not in direct competition with one another but it is hard to believe Alison curtis has more listeners than matt cooper

And poor Matt is over 100k behind Sunday Miscellany!
    Well done to all involved with Sunday Miscellany. 11th in the Top 30 most listened to prgrammes with 246000 listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

How many pepole listen to the night time network with tarra and mel?
    what is the most listen show on nova?
    Who has more chris barry or niall boylan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

What are Marty's listenership figures on Lyric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

2FM's problem is that it's dipped into a completely stacked market where every region has a well established youth-orientated station. Both Spins, Beat, iRadio, RedFM etc covers every market and the presenters play the music the young people want and know how the regional dynamics work. It's why the likes of Martin Guilfoyle can go to Spin South West and be instantly appealing, he knows the craic in that region.

2FM can't do that. If they try to please one area, the rest of them start to switch off.

There hasn't been a youth-orientated national station because there wasn't a market for one. Simple as.

I don't agree. The regional youth stations do a brilliant job and have nailed exactly what their audience wants and cater to it perfectly. However, look at the UK- nearly every area of the country has a Capital variation but BBC Radio 1 is still thriving. I think 2FM can be a success, it just needs to work out how to be distinctive and offer something different. They should do live sessions, have a more varied playlist new and alternative music alongside the big hits, promote more new Irish music, put on big national events, improve their news output etc.

I also don't know why they haven't done a TV ad campaign. Really put it out there that 2FM is changing and will be something different. Most young people probably don't know of the changes.

They also need more personality. The breakfast show has reasonably OK ratings, Nicky & Jenny is a bit bland but I suppose it's fine for mid-mornings, Eoghan McDermott is an excellent presenter IMO and is doing a cracking job on drive, Louise McSharry is a poor man's Annie Mac/ Zane Lowe but I appreciate them trying to do a show like that, Chris & Ciara are fantastic and are exactly the type of creative, youth-orientated show that 2FM needs. Tracy Clifford should be on weekends- really liked her on Fully Charged on SPIN but she's not weekday material on a national station. They need a Chris & Ciara/ Ray Foley type show that is creative and has personality and will attract people away from the regionals.

The weekend schedule also needs an identity and to fall in line with the weekday schedule rather than being the dumping ground for weekday rejects.

They should get some credit. Two years ago, the station was a mess- playlist all over the place, each show targeting different audiences, awful imaging, poor presenters. The imaging is far better, they've improved the weekday schedule and the playlist seems pretty close to what they should be playing for a 15-34 station.
    Was listening to Brendan O'Loughlin reading the news at 6 and he gave it a small mention at the end. Didn't say they were number one or anything.

On that actually. Their news service is one thing they really have going for them. I think it's brilliant.

Completely agree on this. For all the woes the station has suffered, their news output is really excellent. Their bulletins are engaging, snappy, have a good mix of stories and I think Aideen Finnegan and Brendan O'Loughlin are two of the best newsreaders out there. For me, a 98fm news bulletin is one of the best in the country.

• Advertisement

smurfs5 wrote: »
    They also need more personality. The breakfast show has reasonably OK ratings, Nicky & Jenny is a bit bland but I suppose it's fine for mid-mornings, Eoghan McDermott is an excellent presenter IMO and is doing a cracking job on drive, Louise McSharry is a poor man's Annie Mac/ Zane Lowe but I appreciate them trying to do a show like that, Chris & Ciara are fantastic and are exactly the type of creative, youth-orientated show that 2FM needs. Tracy Clifford should be on weekends- really liked her on Fully Charged on SPIN but she's not weekday material on a national station. They need a Chris & Ciara/ Ray Foley type show that is creative and has personality and will attract people away from the regionals.

I don't know much about the UK markets so I won't go into that, but on this I want to make a couple of points.

Anyone I know doesn't listen to Breakfast Republic. It's God awful and I genuinely don't know how it does so well.

I thought Nicky and Jenny started out quite well but has now fallen big time.

Tracy Clifford was someone I really liked in Spin. I think she needs someone to really bounce off to get the best out of her.

I don't like McDermott personally but I can see what they're trying to do with him. Having said that, the youth drive-time market is easily the toughest one out there. Steve K in 1038, Eoghan Fitz in Spin South West and Andy Mac in Beat are all stalwarts of their stations and the latter two I think are the most listened to shows (all day) in their region, while Steve K has the highest listeners of all drive-time music shows in Dublin. That's not taking Dara Quilty and Ben Murray into account either. McDermott really will have a tough task to bring in listeners on his own.
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Completely agree on this. For all the woes the station has suffered, their news output is really excellent. Their bulletins are engaging, snappy, have a good mix of stories and I think Aideen Finnegan and Brendan O'Loughlin are two of the best newsreaders out there. For me, a 98fm news bulletin is one of the best in the country.

Agreed on this. Both of them are brilliant. I think Stephanie Grogan has done well to fill the void left by the excellent Frank Greaney as well.

I often wonder how Brendan would sound elsewhere. I think the way he is on 98 is perfect for their presentation, but I dunno if he'd be suited in one of the nationals considering it's a completely different style to what he has.

Actually no, if 2FM were to revamp their news service, he should be top of their list.

Advertisement