Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR Q2 2016 - 27 July 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Faugheen wrote: »
    2FM's problem is that it's dipped into a completely stacked market where every region has a well established youth-orientated station. Both Spins, Beat, iRadio, RedFM etc covers every market and the presenters play the music the young people want and know how the regional dynamics work. It's why the likes of Martin Guilfoyle can go to Spin South West and be instantly appealing, he knows the craic in that region.

2FM can't do that. If they try to please one area, the rest of them start to switch off.

There hasn't been a youth-orientated national station because there wasn't a market for one. Simple as.

I disagree with the last statement. I think if the license was in the hands of a private company they would make a far better attempt at making it a viable youth/top 40 station. You wouldn't have had years of neglect and poor management decisions like there has been. At least you wouldn't have a bloody sports show on at 7pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Any word on 98 breakfast and drive figures?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

soc160 wrote: »
    I disagree with the last statement. I think if the license was in the hands of a private company they would make a far better attempt at making it a viable youth/top 40 station. You wouldn't have had years of neglect and poor management decisions like there has been. At least you wouldn't have a bloody sports show on at 7pm!

Now that sounds like a good idea for a thread. Well, not that exactly, but if you could build a privately owned station with that licence what would your line-up be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

There are a couple of interesting things in Dublin as far as I can interpret

- audience in capital down to 78% , is this finally the effect of the iPod generation ?
    - allowing for acceptable margins of error , there is very little change for any stations in Dublin at all . Anything else you're hearing is spin.

Generally ,
    -2fm breakfast show remains the poor show that most of think it is
    - D'arcy ain't the answer for radio one
    -today fm and Newstalk seem to need a joint strategy , anyone for NT 1& 2?

Lastly

Anyone really surprised by any of this ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Healy and Co messed up re-launching 2FM, they should have kept the over 35 market who would have grown up with it.

These listeners I feel would have stayed loyal.

Any attempt such as above, would have been better than trying to get a new audience of teenagers to turn on a station their parents listened to...and 2FM is no BBC Radio 1 and never will be.

Time for Healy to bow out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Dan Healy really does come out with some nonsense...
    The head of the station, Dan Healy, said the figures were “not as strong as anticipated” and said 2fm’s schedule was suffering from the departure of Ryan Tubridy to RTÉ Radio 1 last autumn.

How many of Gerry Ryan's 300,000+ listeners did Turbidy lose again and how long did Healy leave him in place while he was shedding all those listeners?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

How are 2FM doing in Cork and Wicklow?

Cork has no youth station and Wicklow only has overspill from Dublin and iRadio/Beat so I'd expect them to make gains in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Dan Healy really does come out with some nonsense...

Yeah, I find it incredibly funny that every time the JNLR figures come out, they come out with the same mealy mouthed, self serving guff that they normally give out to politicians for uttering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

It's a shame to see such a talented broadcaster bringing up the rear in the top 30 radio shows, where previously he would have been one of its leading lights.

I think there are two things about Pat Kenny:

1) It is easy enough to get somebody in RTE to take over the reins in such a political discussion show. RTE have a number of people like Sean O'Rourke, Keelin Shanley etc who can very capably take over the show. The point being that Pat was never really as inexpendable as RTE liked to make out.

2) Never underestimate the power of the national broadcaster. There are a number of people who will stay on RTE between 9am-12pm, no matter who they put in there.

I can't imagine that Pat will go back to RTE. He was fairly bitter when I heard him talking about leaving RTE. I think them cutting his Frontline show, and the constant analysis of his wages really p1ssed him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

marno21 wrote: »

Cork has no youth station and Wicklow only has overspill from Dublin and iRadio/Beat so I'd expect them to make gains in Cork.

Cork has a "youth" station if you believe it's licence RedFm is a youth station

How did iRadio do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Cork has a "youth" station if you believe it's licence RedFm is a youth station

How did iRadio do?

Red are doing their damndest not to even pretend to be a youth station anymore though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just IMO, I think where 2FM went wrong was they stayed too loyal to the presenters that made the station great in its early years. Initially, it was THE music station, with the likes of Fenton, Dempsey, Fanning, etc. They gained a huge audience but then made the mistake of allowing the station to age along with their listeners as opposed to bringing in new talent and maintaining their identity as a youth station.

Building a "youth" station around Gerry Ryan and Larry Gogan? Come on like.

Then, they seemed to doubt their own convictions, and instead of going the whole way and fully going for the older audience, they're trying to swing desperately back again, while still maintaining a weekend schedule that most under 30's would laugh at.

I'll give Healy credit for revamping the daytime schedule. It may not be working, but he seemed to have a plan and implemented it. The daytime schedule is the most cohesive it's been in years IMO.

But then you have a SPORTS TALK SHOW AT 7PM! FFS.

And the weekend schedule is now totally at odds with the weekday schedule.

2FM seriously needs to decide what it wants to be. I still believe there's a place for it as a youth oriented station in the style of BBC R1. A slightly more mature Spin or Beat (that's not a slam on those stations, I have the height of respect for them) focusing on breaking new music, interviews, live sessions, live coverage of festivals and gigs, etc.

But to do that they need to basically burn it to the ground and start from scratch again identity wise.

Game On needs to go. Virtually all of the weekend shows need to go. Larry Gogan, Will Leahy, Dave Fanning, Rick O'Shea and Ruth Scott need to go. Build a weekend schedule around young, fresh, vibrant new talent. Throw money at the cream of the crop from the Spins, Beat and iRadio and give them slightly more creative freedom than they currently have and see if they can thrive. Scrap Nicky Byrne and Breakfast Republic and start again. Rest of daytime schedule could be shuffled and given more time to develop and build an audience along with a fresh clean rebranding.

Either that, or scrap the weekday schedule and lurch back to the older demographic and fully commit to it. Either way, I think 2FM will continue to struggle until it sets out clearly what it actually wants to be.
    marno21 wrote: »

I think RED is repeating the same mistakes 2FM has. When I was a teenager, RED was the station all of my friends listened to. KC and Lenny, Stevie G and Victor Barry were all quality. Now it's drifting towards the "I only hear this in shops every and now then..." territory.
    Considering 96FM and C103 are already serving the older audience, I'd be worried that long term this'll end badly for RED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

honeybear wrote: »
    What are Marty's listenership figures on Lyric?

According to the press release on rte.ie

"Marty in the Mornings is up 1,000 (b-o-b) and a growth of 2,000 (y-o-y) with 45,000 tuning on weekday mornings."

So, that's not as many as Keith Finnegan (47,000) on Galway Bay FM, but it's equally ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Expunge wrote: »

Lyric FM - classical and minority music station now more popular in Dublin - in terms of reach - than 2FM!

Lyric has 59,000 listeners in the capital, 2FM has 58,000

I thought I'd never see the day!

It's only proper...

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/102891-jnlr-2016q2-dublin-listenership#hill16

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

Nice job, Blue. Maria Callas and the boyiz on the Hill look like they were meant to be together!

That graph line illustrating the decline of 2FM in the capital is really damning.

In that time Lyric has tipped away in Dublin at around 6 per cent or in an around 60,000 listeners but, Christ almighty, 2FM is bleeding to death!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Just IMO, I think where 2FM went wrong was they stayed too loyal to the presenters that made the station great in its early years. Initially, it was THE music station, with the likes of Fenton, Dempsey, Fanning, etc. They gained a huge audience but then made the mistake of allowing the station to age along with their listeners as opposed to bringing in new talent and maintaining their identity as a youth station.

Building a "youth" station around Gerry Ryan and Larry Gogan? Come on like.

Then, they seemed to doubt their own convictions, and instead of going the whole way and fully going for the older audience, they're trying to swing desperately back again, while still maintaining a weekend schedule that most under 30's would laugh at.

I'll give Healy credit for revamping the daytime schedule. It may not be working, but he seemed to have a plan and implemented it. The daytime schedule is the most cohesive it's been in years IMO.

But then you have a SPORTS TALK SHOW AT 7PM! FFS.

And the weekend schedule is now totally at odds with the weekday schedule.

2FM seriously needs to decide what it wants to be. I still believe there's a place or it as a youth oriented station in the style of BBC R1. A slightly more mature Spin or Beat (that's not a slam on those stations, I have the height of respect for them) focusing on breaking new music, interviews, live sessions, live coverage of festivals and gigs, etc.

but to do that they need to basically burn it to the ground and start from scratch again identity wise.

Game On needs to go. Virtually all of the weekend shows need to go. Larry Gogan, Will Leahy, Dave Fanning, Rick O'Shea and Ruth Scott need to go. Build a weekend schedule around young, fresh, vibrant new talent. Throw money at the cream of the crop from the Spins, Beat and iRadio and give them slightly more creative freedom than they currently have and see if they can thrive. Scrap Nicky Byrne and Breakfast Republic and start again. Rest of daytime schedule could be shuffled and given more time to develop and build an audience along with a fresh clean rebranding.

Either that, or scrap the weekday schedule and lurch back to the older demographic and fully commit to it. Either way, I think 2FM will continue to struggle until it sets out clearly what it actually wants to be.

I think RED is repeating the same mistakes 2FM has. When I was a teenager, RED was the station all of my friends listened to. KC and Lenny, Stevie G and Victor Barry were all quality. Now it's drifting towards the "I only hear this in shops every and now then..." territory.
    Considering 96FM and C103 are already serving the older audience, I'd be worried that long term this'll end badly for RED.

Very thought provoking and an interesting from a 2FM point – if not in hindsight unfortunately – where a station can make a wrong turn. Hanging on to the coattail of the past is not a good idea any recycling ‘the talent’ is probably a good thing and nobody stays put long enough the be referred to as ‘the talent’!

Strangely I heard Dave Fanning standing in for RT earlier and he was talking about 2FM in its early years. He was recalling how they stood for new talent a lot of times and during the summer having road shows (Lark in the Park etc) highlighting local musical talent. Well attended events as well. Even if it wasn’t everyone’s bag it still was a particular identity for the station.

What’s the station now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The thing I wonder about 2FM is how do people know it exists? When I was young there were plenty of ads and the beats on the street to generate buzz, nothing like that now.

2FM serves 1 purpose in my car. If I'm with Mrs Dulpit and she wants to listen to a song and there is nothing on Today FM or Red FM, we end up with 2FM. That's it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Red are doing their damndest not to even pretend to be a youth station anymore though

Exactly. 96FM and RedFM are pretty much clones of each other except RedFM's evening playlist is more diverse and RedFM's daytime playlist is more grating and repetitive.
    dulpit wrote: »
    The thing I wonder about 2FM is how do people know it exists? When I was young there were plenty of ads and the beats on the street to generate buzz, nothing like that now.

2FM serves 1 purpose in my car. If I'm with Mrs Dulpit and she wants to listen to a song and there is nothing on Today FM or Red FM, we end up with 2FM. That's it.

This is my issue #1 with 2FM. If they are launching a youth station, they HAVE to advertise it and let it be known. Otherwise you have the older listeners tuning out as it becomes more and more youth oriented and no new listeners tuning in because they don't know about it. There's ads on the TV all the time for 96FM & Q102, there's billboards up for Spin South West around the south west (and even then it's 9 years since it launched so most would know about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Csalem

blue4ever wrote: »

And looking at the charts, if current trends continue then Nova and Sunshine may overtake 2FM next.

Advertisement