Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adele

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Nodin wrote: »
    ......objection yer honour.

Millions would disagree with you.

If you want to listen to a pissed off woman, PJ Harvey is the (wo)man for ye.

No. No thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

To be fair, like or dislike her songs, she does have a fantastic voice.

I don't get the "brainwashed" concept. I mean, surely you would point that accusation towards generic, mass produced crap like One Direction and Justin Bieber (seriously, all of their songs sound exactly the same, if they aren't a rip off of other songs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Misery. Her songs put a downer on the day.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Misery. Her songs put a downer on the day.

They really do. As successful as she is, she really is a streak of utter misery. She's obviously tapped into a market of people who like their wallowing normalised through the medium of song.

She's like an aural version of the worst of Eastenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Candie wrote: »
    No. No thanks. :)

Ahh go on. I'm a big Napalm Death/Slayer hard core fan and I give her a listen...

Ahh go on. I'm a big Napalm Death/Slayer hard core fan and I give her a listen...

Maybe. :)

I just remembered Alanis Morrisette, another misery who made a career out of an inability to move on. Can't listen to her either. Luckily she's disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

yes, let the man speak...

Candie wrote: »
    Maybe. :)

Anyone with the bollocks (literal or otherwise) to rock an elvis suit deserves our support

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

If you want to listen to a pissed off woman, PJ Harvey is the (wo)man for ye.
    If you want to listen to a pissed-off woman listen to Diamanda Galas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Adele sells for the same reason Gloria Gaynors I Will Survive is a stereotypical choice for a girls night out drink and moanathon. It speaks to their sense of emotional entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I sing Adele songs to my cat on Valentine's

Neeeeever mind I'll find someone like youuu

How is she these days?

If you want to listen to a pissed-off woman listen to Diamanda Galas.

Gave it a go there - too arty for me. I'm a primitive creature at the end of the day.

Adele sells for the same reason Gloria Gaynors I Will Survive is a stereotypical choice for a girls night out drink and moanathon. It speaks to their sense of emotional entitlement.

wtf is "emotional entitlement"?

I know you think you're saying something about girls there, but you're also revealing a lot about yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

wtf is "emotional entitlement"?

The lay-deez know.

The lay-deez know.

....yes, but I'm not a lady, or even a woman come to that. Google doesn't give an answer so I'm forced to do the horrifically old fashioned task of asking somebody, in order that they bring light to the bleak darkness of my ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Well the media needs a darling, and she fits the bill fairly perfectly. She's relatable because she's not unhumanly beautiful and impossibly skinny like every other pop star, she hasn't "earned" her success by queueing outside a convention centre for ten hours and then belting a chart hit out in front of Simon Cowell, and we've all had that one arsehole ex...

That and she comes across as a lovely, normal person fairly unaffected by it all. Like someone you'd meet at a bus stop and have a moan about how bloody long you've been waiting. She's got a good publicity team behind her, no doubt, and they tap into this very well. Those sound problems at the Grammys and the subsequent round of appearances on Ellen etc talking about how "mortified" she was etc. Pulling up local stars at her concerts, tweeting at that lad from The Voice of Ireland about sorting him out with tickets when she was gigging in Dublin a few nights later...a great team indeed. They know exactly how to endear her to the general public.

She's from a fairly ordinary background and has a fairly ordinary appearance but lives this extraordinary life that we all aspire to. She makes it seem possible. That and a bloody fine set of pipes on her and the best producers in the world. Fair play to her.

Shes no lemmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

That first big hit was ok (but got overplayed) and then the others I heard sounded kind of the same.

But I've managed to avoid listening to/being exposed to her music to the extent that with the exception of Skyfall and that first big hit, I cannot recall even another song. Although, I probably know some others, just not that she's the one singing them.

she can at least sing well, which makes her more deserving of success than plenty of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

ah come on, that video with the chick and the Room full of coke and a oversised toothpick and swirls and stuff, that was fantastic. I was so tripping absolute balls first time I saw that video, blew me away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭camlinhall

NIMAN wrote: »
    When it comes to music.....I always believe "each to their own".
    Is it really each to his own when we get an earful everywhere we go whether we're into the songs or not?
    I'm grand with Adele myself, but it has to be said: there's no escape!

enzo roco wrote: »
    The music I listen to is so much cooler than the music you listen to.

Some people like certain music, some dont.
    Who gives a poo poo???

Maybe those who don't want to listen to it but get bombarded anyway? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thank you for bringing back this thread from March, I just can't get enough Adele

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The songs are well written ,she has a beautiful voice.
    She can sing live, without the aid of special effects .
    See her on carpool karoke , she can sing rap songs too.
    She is funny with a great sense of humour.
    She sings slightly old fashioned love songs .
    Many hits in the charts will be forgotten,
    people will still sing her songs in 20-30 years .
    She sings about her life ,love , relationships .
    So women can relate to that .
    Theres no singer that everyone likes .

Hello

it's me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Music to stalk to.

beks101 wrote: »
    ... lives this extraordinary life that we all aspire to.

I'm a freak so.
    Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Send my love to your new lover
    Treat her better!!

Advertisement