Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adele

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

colossus-x wrote: »
    It always amuses me how people of all ages bitch about other peoples musical preferences.

People into rock or bands seem to be the greatest of this exponents of this immature attitude.

Concerts don't have be all like Live Aid you know.

...don't follow ye there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

Wash your ears out

Come on Gorrilaz are shyte and bar Blur's song 2 and perhaps 1 or 2 other songs his musics about as bland as it gets.

In the era of British bands such as Radiohead, Pulp, Supergrass and the Manic Street Preachers his brand of Indie fell short.

I'll give him credit where it's due though, he managed to stay popular longer than the above bands mentioned, even if he never reached the same level of excellence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Nodin wrote: »
    ...don't follow ye there.....

Fine, but I take it my first point you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Asaiah wrote: »
    Come on Gorrilaz are shyte and bar Blur's song 2 and perhaps 1 or 2 other songs his musics about as bland as it gets.

In the era of British bands such as Radiohead, Pulp, Supergrass and the Manic Street Preachers his brand of Indie fell short.

I'd take Blur ahead of the lot of them. I love Supergrass too, but they simply weren't at Blur's level imo. I don't see how you can call Albarn's music bland considering he's probably the most diverse "mainstream" artist about. The fact you recite off their hit's either shows you only know their hits or haven't given them a chance. Whatever way you want to look at it, he's miles better than Adele is anyway. And if I was her, I'd be listening to someone who knows what they're talking about. She's lucky he gave her the time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

I'd take Blur ahead of the lot of them. I love Supergrass too, but they simply weren't at Blur's level imo. I don't see how you can call Albarn's music bland considering he's probably the most diverse "mainstream" artist about. The fact you recite of their hit's either shows you only know their hits or haven't given them a chance

He lost me at park life and girls and boys. Just not my cup of tea at all, a bit too chavvy for me. Then with the rap in Gorrilaz, Indie and Rap really sound bad together.
    Anyway each to their own, I am sure many would differ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So we are all agreed that Adele is formulaic and boring and appeals to an older female audience because they have all experienced crap boyfriends who leave them without any explanation and break their hearts forever and then the spurned one can make loadsa dough singing about the same heartbreak forever.

Whew. And I didn't even take a breath for that post.

Fine, but I take it my first point you got.

I did. The live aid bit defies me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭8 Bit Girl

The Script had the same idea a few years ago. Singing about misery and breakups and broken hearts. They did well for themselves too.

So we are all agreed that Adele is formulaic and boring and appeals to an older female audience because they have all experienced crap boyfriends who leave them without any explanation and break their hearts forever and then the spurned one can make loadsa dough singing about the same heartbreak forever.

It's as good a notion as any.

He lost me at park life and girls and boys. Just not my cup of tea at all, a bit too chavvy for me. Then with the rap in Gorrilaz, Indie and Rap really sound bad together.
    Anyway each to their own, I am sure many would differ.

Blur too chavvy? They were considered the biggest toffs around back then. Well if you jumped off at Parklife then you missed their evolution. But in regards to Adele, she could do alot worse than to take advise from one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the last two decade's

• Advertisement

Whew. And I didn't even take a breath for that post.

And don't forget the gullible 15 year old teenage girls who will buy anything they are told to by Simon Cowell and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

And don't forget the gullible 15 year old teenage girls who will buy anything they are told to by Simon Cowell and the like

What the hell is that supposed to mean. You mean any 15yo has no idea what they like and they will just buy Cowell inspired records just because ... .

Does everyone have to be into music anyway? Who gives a sh*te if someone is into Rihanna or pavarotti? Who cares ; what difference does it make ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I don't like that accent she feigns when she sings either, seems to be the done thing these days with lots of singers developing the same accent. Paloma Faith, the Late Amy Winehouse and Sam Smith for example, what's the story with that!?

Paloma Faith (Hackney), Adele (Tottenham), Amy Winehouse (Southgate) are all from the same general area in North London so it shouldn't be any surprise that they have similar accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I find her songs very moany and depressing to be honest. I don't like that accent she feigns when she sings either, seems to be the done thing these days with lots of singers developing the same accent. Paloma Faith, the Late Amy Winehouse and Sam Smith for example, what's the story with that!?

Anyway I don't listen to her and try avoid her music. However I cannot say that it's bad, just very very Bland. That's one thing the British really do exceed at, blandness.

"the done thing these days" ?

Lol. It's been the done thing by almost everyone everywhere for decades. Listen to most famous singers' accents when they talk, then pay attention to how they pronounce their words when they sing. Usually totally different. Usually a specific American accent when singing. Virtually all popstars are guilty of this.

It's just yet another aspect of the fraudulent celebrity culture.

I do not like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

She's a talented songwriter and singer, has her market and is generally not getting caught up in tropes on the production side fair play to her

What the hell is that supposed to mean. You mean any 15yo has no idea what they like and they will just buy Cowell inspired records just because ... .

Does everyone have to be into music anyway? Who gives a sh*te if someone is into Rihanna or pavarotti? Who cares ; what difference does it make ?

"the gullible 15 year old girls who will buy" whatever they're told to.

....said as if virtually everyone in the First World hasn't been completely brainwashed into living a very specific existence. "Watch this, eat that, say this, buy that, Think like this, Vote for that"

It's not just teenage girls whose every action is directed by higher powers - it's everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

oh christ, who let jim corr near a keyboard

8 Bit Girl wrote: »
    The Script had the same idea a few years ago. Singing about misery and breakups and broken hearts. They did well for themselves too.

Yeh. They didn't quite do "6 Nights Sold Out at Madison Square Garden" well for themselves now did they.

strelok wrote: »
    oh christ, who let jim corr near a keyboard

Ha. That's funny. Making Jim Corr jokes is "the done thing" after all. You certainly proved me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

She will never make it...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

DareGod wrote: »
    Ha. That's funny. Making Jim Corr jokes is "the done thing" after all. You certainly proved me wrong.

well the international zionist conspiracy let a few people off their 'make adele popular' task force so i had time to spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

To the OP, you sound as if you are begrudging her. Her slow songs make her a fortune. They work for her and allow her to earn money most of us will never earn in a lifetime.

Why should she change a winning style?

You may not like her music, but clearly millions do. You really shouldn't let it get to you so much. You are only upsetting yourself.

To the OP, you sound as if you are begrudging her. Her slow songs make her a fortune. They work for her and allow her to earn money most of us will never earn in a lifetime.

Why should she change a winning style?

You may not like her music, but clearly millions do. You really shouldn't let it get to you so much. You are only upsetting yourself.

Did you even read the OP?

Heckler wrote: »
    Not begrudging her fame, wealth, popularity etc. Fair play to her for achieving what she has and if you're a fan great.

I just don't get it. Is it me or is every song a slow, piano driven dirge lament about a lost love ? Get over it Adele. Then again if its making you millions go for it. People reported in tears at Adele concert ffs.

What do people do at an Adele gig ? Stand around crying while the other half watch it through their smart phones ?

Who goes to Adele gigs ? Must be either couples or gaggles of women. Can't see 5 fellas deciding to head to Adele of a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, women in their 20's and 30's who only buy one album per year.

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/somebody-got-emosh-bod-and-amy-huberman-enjoy-date-night-at-adele-34513851.html

And attention seeking 'celebs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She has carved out a nice niche for herself. Women of around 30-60 identify with a relatively plain looking fuller figured moan merchant. She's a "real" woman compared to all the other impossibly pretty and bendy starlets in the charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

DareGod wrote: »
    Did you even read the OP?

Of course I read it. And the Op goes on to totally begrudge her.

Name a single musical artist that everyone likes. There isn't one. The OP is clearly not a fan but I doubt that Adele cares. :)

She's got a great voice and I appreciate how hard it must be for a girl who's a little more ordinary in the looks department to make it in a very looks-obsessed industry. Lots and lots of kudos to her for her success.

I can't listen to her though, her music is grating, repetitive, and is so depressing it actually lowers my mood.

She's a talented songwriter and singer, has her market and is generally not getting caught up in tropes on the production side fair play to her

......objection yer honour.

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    She's got a great voice and I appreciate how hard it must be for a girl who's a little more ordinary in the looks department to make it in a very looks-obsessed industry. Lots and lots of kudos to her for her success.

I can't listen to her though, her music is grating, repetitive, and is so depressing it actually lowers my mood.

If you want to listen to a pissed off woman, PJ Harvey is the (wo)man for ye.

Advertisement