Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC/MMA etc crossover Thread *Spoilers for latest show*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I found,it hard to take his comeback seriously,and appreciate it as much as I'd have liked,when it was very obvious that he was anything but clean.

Then didn't need too take a urine sample too see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,498 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WWE statement.
    The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Brock Lesnar of a potential policy violation, stemming from an out-of-competition sample collected on June 28, 2016, according to a statement released by UFC on Friday afternoon and reported on by ESPN and other news sources.

Lesnar successfully returned to the UFC against Mark Hunt 12 days later on July 9 at UFC 200. The results of the sampling were received by USADA on July 14/

Brock Lesnar has not performed for WWE since WrestleMania and is not scheduled to return until Sunday, Aug. 21

Brock hasn't been here so it's nothing to do with us.

http://www.wwe.com/article/brock-lesnar-anti-doping-policy-violation

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WWE statement.

Brock hasn't been here so it's nothing to do with us.

http://www.wwe.com/article/brock-lesnar-anti-doping-policy-violation

Yep. And that's the angle they will use to not suspend him 30 days. Was Brock tested by WWE as part of the wellness program ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yep. And that's the angle they will use to not suspend him 30 days. Was Brock tested by WWE as part of the wellness program ?

To save face they should just give him the 30 day ban and he'll still be back in time for Summerslam. Not a 100% per cent sure but I think only those on full time contracts are tested.

Well Brock is a contracted employee something they are/were very happy to say before UFC 200.

He may not have been seen on WWE TV since WM than doesn't mean he isn't excluded from testing and if it does mean that then it ridicules there wellness policy even more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Well Brock is a contracted employee something they are/were very happy to say before UFC 200.

He may not have been seen on WWE TV since WM than doesn't mean he isn't excluded from testing and if it does mean that then it ridicules there wellness policy even more.

There's very little transparency in the operation of WWE's policy. It's a bit of an open joke tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

WWE only have a wellness policy.

Most of the older guys can easily get a testosterone boost with a prescription.

As far as PEDs go the policy is only really aimed at stopping guys buying dodgy gear or taking dangerous amounts. Under a doctor's supervision they can still access alot.

The rest of the policy is aimed at substance abuse.

Put both parts together and it's a good policy if not perfect.

DM_7 wrote: »
    WWE only have a wellness policy.

Most of the older guys can easily get a testosterone boost with a prescription.

As far as PEDs go the policy is only really aimed at stopping guys buying dodgy gear or taking dangerous amounts. Under a doctor's supervision they can still access alot.

The rest of the policy is aimed at substance abuse.

Put both parts together and it's a good policy if not perfect.

So what you are saying is..

Take all steroids you want if the you can find a doctor to sign off on it but if you smoke a bit of weed to wind down instead of drinking a liter of Jack it's a strike.

Joke shop is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Brock has responded about the USADA failed test.

He said
    We will get to the bottom of this
    Full article here

Its strange as it says
    The AP also obtained copies of three letters from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to Lesnar, informing the fighter that he had passed tests on three samples submitted over a nine-day period in mid-June, mere days before the sample with the potential violation was collected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So what you are saying is..

Take all steroids you want if the you can find a doctor to sign off on it but if you smoke a bit of weed to wind down instead of drinking a liter of Jack it's a strike.

Joke shop is right.

Is Weed not a fine?

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Is Weed not a fine?

It's a fine alright maybe not a strike it seems to be different rules for different wrestlers from what I can see over the years anyway.

But the whole wellness policy is a joke it may have good intentions but unless it's implemented across the board to all WWE employees on an even scale it can only be seen as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭The White Feather

In every cloud there is a silver lining.....

The good news for Undertaker fans, is that Vince should reverse the Brock win due to the drugs violation so Undertaker's streak is still alive!!!!!

The Streak is still going strong folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

One of his training partners has said the failure was due to use of an asthma inhaler. That might explain the wording of the result by USADA as a "potential violation".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

One of his training partners has said the failure was due to use of an asthma inhaler. That might explain the wording of the result by USADA as a "potential violation".

Amazing amount of world class athletes that have asthma that comes out once they fail a test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/7/19/12230928/brock-lesnar-in-competition-drug-test-comes-back-positive-for-ufc-200-mma

Failed a second test now for the same substance. Anyone got a link to that story about him not wanting to work with Reign's at Mania due to a supposed drug test failure. Seriously the dumbest thing I ever read on here :pac:
    Great timing too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

The substance Brock Lesnar failed both his tests for was clomifene, more commonly known as clomid. Clomid is an estrogen blocker typically taken by someone coming off steroids to kickstart their natural production of testosterone and fight the side effects one gets when cycling off, like gynomastia (b*tch t*ts) or hypo-gonadism.

Seems clear Brock was cycling off to get back into fighting and took this unaware that it was banned.

Incidentally, it is the same drug as one of the ones which Jon Jones was popped for.

ERG89 wrote: »
    http://www.mmamania.com/2016/7/19/12230928/brock-lesnar-in-competition-drug-test-comes-back-positive-for-ufc-200-mma

Failed a second test now for the same substance. Anyone got a link to that story about him not wanting to work with Reign's at Mania due to a supposed drug test failure. Seriously the dumbest thing I ever read on here :pac:
    Great timing too

Did someone actually suggest he wouldn't want to work with Reigns because of the failure? You have to be kidding right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Monokne wrote: »
    Did someone actually suggest he wouldn't want to work with Reigns because of the failure? You have to be kidding right?

In fairness, I don't think it was anyone here that said it, it was a Reddit post copied over here I believe. I really hope nobody had that thought anyway.

Not looking good for Brock now.

Brock Lesnar also failed in-competition drug test at UFC 200
    Lesnar failed both tests for the same banned substance, the UFC release stated. USADA has yet to reveal the name of the drug and won't unless Lesnar makes it public first himself.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/7/19/12230962/brock-lesnar-also-failed-in-competition-drug-test-at-ufc-200

The substance he failed for is clomid, for those who missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Monokne wrote: »
    The substance he failed for is clomid, for those who missed it.

where was that announced? thats basically an alternative to trt isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Thought it was Jon Jones that failed for it? I mean, Brock may have too, but it definitely hasn't been formally announced anywhere.

Jones failed for it too.

Clomid is an estrogen blocker typically taken by someone coming off steroids to kickstart their natural production of testosterone and fight the side effects one gets when cycling off, like gynomastia (b*tch t*ts) or hypo-gonadism. It is not an alternative to TRT in the sense that TRT is introducing false testosterone into the system where Clomid is attempting to stimulate the natural production of it. Even taken in vast quantities, clomid would not raise your testosterone levels to an abnormal range.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-brock-lesnar-second-positive-drug-test-20160719-snap-story.html

If proven to have taken PED's does Brock forfeit his payday and PPV bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Nope not a cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

If proven to have taken PED's does Brock forfeit his payday and PPV bonus?

Likely a fine of his purse but his big money is from PPV which the commission doesn't have jurisdiction over.

The commission have been taking between 50% & 70% of purses recently, which could mean Brock would be out anywhere from $1.25 - $1.75 million dollars. Considering Brocks purse is so much larger than anyone who's ever fought for UFC in Nevada it's possible they'll only fine him 30% or so since that'd still be almost 7 figures. But personally I wouldn't expect any leniency, particularly given he failed on fight night AND before.

Brock is so hardheaded and he lives in Canada so I can imagine him fighting it or refusing to pay. The commission can put a lien on any properties he owns in the US though, which I'm sure he still does. Whatever happens, I expect the game to go on a while. There's a looo-ooot of money involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Brock has not been suspended by WWE has he? There had been a lot of talk that for PR reasons etc WWE would probably give him a wellness strike given the failed test even if it was outside of the WWE and that they would have had to do it by now if they were going to have him back from a suspension a la Reigns to fight at the next PPV (Summerslam).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brock has not been suspended by WWE has he? There had been a lot of talk that for PR reasons etc WWE would probably give him a wellness strike given the failed test even if it was outside of the WWE and that they would have had to do it by now if they were going to have him back from a suspension a la Reigns to fight at the next PPV (Summerslam).

There was time to do it before SummerSlam but they didn't cause their policy is a public joke tbh.

• Advertisement

It's been confirmed by WWE to Meltzer that there will be no suspension.

Put bluntly, I don't really see a need to suspend him either. You could easily have done a 30 day one but it would have been a PR move given he goes 90 days without working for them at a time anyway. And more pertinently, it's not like he was caught with dianabol in his system, or even a street drug like cocaine. It's clomid. It's just an estrogen blocker. In a vacuum, it isn't a big deal. I am aware it means he probably was on something at some point, but without the smoking gun, I don't see suspending him. He's not competing in a sport, he's putting on a performance. I could give two f*cks whether he happens to be using clomid.

Advertisement