Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Master Plan for Cherrywood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very interesting article about the Cherrywood roundabout plans - http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/how-can-we-design-cherrywood-to-be-a-healthy-vibrant-district/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

without even reading it I can guess the gist of it is "Cycle lanes, cycle lanes everywhere"

without even reading it I can guess the gist of it is "Cycle lanes, cycle lanes everywhere"

There is lots about cycling lanes but there is plenty also about pedestrians and road users too :D
    The current Irish approach seems to be to vilify road users and promote pedestrians exclusively. The article shows there are better ways that can suit everyone. The currently proposed removal of the roundabout is going to end up suiting nobody and will lead to gridlock and, in my opinion, traffic accidents during rush hours and bad weather.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No there's definitely more roads, but I guess that's ok because the city can handle more cars.

Bottom line is cycling removes cars and it's quicker to get to town from cherrywood at rush hour by bike than it is by Luas and Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Supercell wrote: »
    There is lots about cycling lanes but there is plenty also about pedestrians and road users too :D
    The current Irish approach seems to be to vilify road users and promote pedestrians exclusively. The article shows there are better ways that can suit everyone. The currently proposed removal of the roundabout is going to end up suiting nobody and will lead to gridlock and, in my opinion, traffic accidents during rush hours and bad weather.

The existing situation only suits vehicles. Its lethal for pedestrians. Fast and blind approaches, it was a dreadful design to begin with.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what other innovative designs are proposed, the junction will have to comply with the infamous DMURS, if it doesn't I'd presume the Council won't allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

To begin with, this post is more or less the exact same as the comment that I posted in Ossian Smyth's page here in relation to the Cherrywood Roundabout.

Anyway, I think Figure 1 is probably the best fit for Cherrywood. There is ample space on the approach to the roundabout from each arm whereby there could be a dip on the edges for pedestrians and cyclists and a ramp for the main carriageway.

Figure 1:

roundabout-houten.jpg

As it stands, most of the entrances and exits to the roundabout have a whopping three lanes and even a fourth slip lane which is gross over-provision for cars. This excessive space could easily be utilised for the installation of a two-way cycle track the entire way around and a pedestrian walkway.

The Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets (DMURS) frequently uses the phrase ‘desired lines’. If this were to become a double-decker roundabout as per Figure 1, an additional x-shaped diagonal crossing could pass beneath the carriageway. This would accommodate a 2 way cycle track and pedestrian walkway to save time in crossing the entire circumference. This should help meet the requirements of the ‘desired lines’.

The eye of the roundabout where this x-shaped crossing would be could include kiosks, benches, water features and other amenities for casual cyclists and pedestrians alike. The kiosks 
would be there in part to ward off any anti-social behaviour which traditionally materialised in less exposed underpasses.

For motorists, the above would mean a roundabout with a constant 2 lanes on approach, exiting and on the actual roundabout itself.

The official proposal of a signalised crossing to replace the roundabout is extremely hazardous and inconvenient for cyclists and pedestrians. It’s somewhat akin to the situation at Westmoreland Street where one has to battle their way across a whopping five lanes of traffic in parts.

For cyclists who don’t want to be side-swiped, this means dismounting from their bike and negotiating their way across a minimum of three traffic islands (if they intend on crossing only one of the 4 roads).

Conversely, Figure 2 would be a massive sacrifice for motorists as it would likely result in horrendous tailbacks propagating all the way to the M50.

Figure 2:

roundabout-netherlands_bike_lane.jpg

In short, too much provision for the car at the expense of cyclists and pedestrians leaves them marginalised and makes for soulless infrastructure. Too little provision for motorists in favor of cyclists and pedestrians would, in this case cause massive tailbacks possibly, stretching back to the M50. In conclusion, a perfect balance needs to be achieved where ALL road users are happy and I strongly believe that Figure 1 is it.

They won't grade separate that junction, too costly. It'll be a signal junction. A big one. Same as what is happening in Leopardstown at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Larbre34 wrote: »
    They won't grade separate that junction, too costly. It'll be a signal junction. A big one. Same as what is happening in Leopardstown at the moment.

The Leopardstown junction went from 4 joining roads to 3, and effectively became a T-junction, not really comparable to Cherrywood. Hopefully Ossian can have some influence on the new junction design, what's proposed will be a disaster that will end up with a costly redesign in a few years time, the M50 to N11 link is backed up today due to the problems at Bray North/Kilmacanogue, and this will make it worse (and public transport is not going to solve the problem for people who live in Wicklow, so trying to force this as a solution is just being blind to the problem).

Hopefully the Luas to Bray will be re-examined as well and put back on the table.

^Not sure what Leopardstown junction you think I mean, but I'm referring to the main roundabout being removed close to the racecourse and South County Business Park, it is going from being a 5-arm roundabout to a 4 arm junction as we speak and will be very similar to the pattern in Cherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ^Not sure what Leopardstown junction you think I mean, but I'm referring to the main roundabout being removed close to the racecourse and South County Business Park, it is going from being a 5-arm roundabout to a 4 arm junction as we speak and will be very similar to the pattern in Cherrywood.

I completely forgot about Brewery road. To be fair, they've added another exit to the industrial estate, will be adding another up by ESB, and stopped all motorway exit traffic going through that junction (by banning right turns coming out of the estate).

Finished diagram is here: http://www.dlrcoco.ie/aboutus/councildepartments/transportation/findit/statusofmajorroadschemes/leopardstownlinkroad/

It's not really like the Cherrywood junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭shawnxxiong

Hi! Is there construction plan and timeframe for the new homes in cherrywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Enabling works....roads, services etc this year and then the shopping centre is first. Starting in 2017- for approx 2 years. That's all I know

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Two new parks planned as part of Cherrywood development

Tully Park: 9 hectares
    Beckett Park: 5 hectares

Can't see any details on exactly where they are going.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/two-major-flagship-public-parks-granted-planning-permission-d%C3%BAn

• Company Representative Posts: 26 Verified rep Green Party: Ossian Smyth

The apartments in the town centre are meant to complete by 2019.

This is a photo from the developer's wall:

timeline-cherrywood-sm.jpg

The developer has revised the junction in response to the comments on the first planning application. There is an opportunity now to submit observations to the planning authority on the revised plans. (the planning ref is DZ15A/0758)

Cherrywood is meant to be designed as the kind of district that you can easily walk or cycle around to get to the shops, go to the park, go to work.

Here are the transport design goals from the SDZ plan:
    cherrywood-trans-goal1-2.png

This is the developer's redesigned central junction in Cherrywood:
    cherrywood-revised.png

If you were on foot, you would have to wait at six sets of traffic lights to get from one corner of this junction to the opposite corner. The clear message is that you'd be a fool not to drive every time for every trip. This development will cost over €2 billion and the design choices made now will be baked in and affect the health of the thousands of future residents and workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ranjo wrote: »
    Two new parks planned as part of Cherrywood development

Tully Park: 9 hectares
    Beckett Park: 5 hectares

Can't see any details on exactly where they are going.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-press-releases/two-major-flagship-public-parks-granted-planning-permission-d%C3%BAn

Both are between the Luas and the M50. Tully Park is between Cherrywood and Laughanstown, Beckett Park between Laughanstown and Brennanstown. Both parks will, in time, be pretty much surrounded by residential properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

really don't like the look of those pedestrian/cyclist shared areas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

In my head this town will look like some sort of 1950's small American town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

This is the developer's redesigned central junction in Cherrywood:
    cherrywood-revised.png

If you were on foot, you would have to wait at six sets of traffic lights to get from one corner of this junction to the opposite corner. The clear message is that you'd be a fool not to drive every time for every trip.

There is still a lot that is wrong with this proposed junction. To begin with, the top left-hand corner shows a potential collision point between buses and cyclists. At this point, lanes go from 2 up to 3 with the third one being for buses on the outside of a straight-ahead cycle lane. This means the potential for 3 parallel vehicle movements turning left. The corner on the bottom-right seems to be a better solution but, not perfect either as cars will still be turning left on the outside of a cyclists path. On the other hand, the junction on the bottom-left is sharper than 90 degrees unlike the other arms which are much smoother.

There doesn't appear to be any consistency or uniform shape for each arm of the junction. From the image which is superimposed onto a diagram of the existing roundabout, it is clear that there is a huge amount of space remaining that they could work with to better effect. For example and as per Ossian's comment about negotiating six sets of traffic lights to get from one corner to the other, the developers could still fit a diagonal underpass to accommodate these desired lines. Unlike *those from the past, an underpass would have to be wheelchair and bike friendly and easy to navigate by the elderly. Furthermore, it would have to be open enough so that it doesn't become a hide out for anti-socialites. Like the kiosk connecting platform 1-5 with 6 and 7 in Connolly Station, a similar one could be installed in the underpass to add a formal purpose to it.

*Before they were filled in, the underpasses at Blackrock were horrible and completely unusable to those with mild-severe mobility impairments.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled with the idea of the proposed residents, parks, shopping center, cinema, bowling alley, offices and schools. However, Hines need to go back and improve this very crucial junction as there are collision points all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

surely a junction like that would never get permission these days,surely?!?

It's a giant **** you to pedestrians, and a potential death trap for cyclists in several places or a major inconvenience in others.

surely a junction like that would never get permission these days,surely?!?

It's a giant **** you to pedestrians, and a potential death trap for cyclists in several places or a major inconvenience in others.

Agreed, this is the worst of all worlds, unfriendly to cyclists, commuters and pedestrians. Good luck to anyone trying to move though it at 17:30 any weekday, prepare for M50 delays and smash's too as traffic is going to backed up for miles every evening on junction 16. I particularly like the staggered pedestrian crossings, talk about an invitation to ignore them.
    Safety concerns regarding pedestrian crossings should also be viewed in the context of pedestrian behaviour.
    Research has found that pedestrians are less likely to comply with the detour/delay created by staggered crossings, leading to unsafe
    crossing behaviour.24 It will generally be more desirable, from a safety point of view, to provide a direct single phase crossing
    http://www.environ.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,32675,en.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

If there is space enough, than there should be space for both a cycle lane and separate foot path.

If not, than it is possible for pedestrians to share paths. Once clearly marked i.e thick white dividing line down center of path, AND citizens awareness (personal responsibility etc), it works. Germany as an example uses this design in some areas and both co-exist and get about their business.

All and everything that accommodates cycling and walking should be as important as laying roads for cars.

Chinasea wrote: »
    If there is space enough, than there should be space for both a cycle lane and separate foot path.

If not, than it is possible for pedestrians to share paths. Once clearly marked i.e thick white dividing line down center of path, AND citizens awareness (personal responsibility etc), it works. Germany as an example uses this design in some areas and both co-exist and get about their business.

All and everything that accommodates cycling and walking should be as important as laying roads for cars.

There should never be just a white line dividing a cycle path and foot path. They just don't work

See 1.9.3 https://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/national_cycle_manual_110728.pdf

Will there be a full junction at the new road, towards the M50?

Making that accessible from all directions would change the flow through the existing business park

ted1 wrote: »
    There should never be just a white line dividing a cycle path and foot path. They just don't work See 1.9.3 https://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/national_cycle_manual_110728.pdf

As said, the practice of a thick white line down on a properly designed, signposted and maintained footpath/cycle path is fairly common practice in many European countries and functions perfectly well.

The difference being, the mindset and personal responsibility of the citizens who use all 3, and allow, teach and encourage their children how to use. Cars, cycling and pedestrianisation work perfectly well when each party respect the right.

As said, the practice of a thick white line down on a properly designed, signposted and maintained footpath/cycle path is fairly common practice in many European countries and functions perfectly well.

The difference being, the mindset and personal responsibility of the citizens who use all 3, and allow, teach and encourage their children how to use. Cars, cycling and pedestrianisation work perfectly well when each party respect the right.
    Did you read 1.9.3?

They simply don't work , I cycle 250km a week and they see them
    The whole time, pedasterians crossing over, dogs on leads crossing over, cyclists over taking other cyclist crossing over etc

Personally I find the one in Blackrock park a pain in the hole.

It's a park, you want to let children run free, skate or whatever but you're forever watching over your shoulder for some MAMIL tearing along throwing abuse at you.

The path is too narrow and just smacks of the council ticking a box saying "we built a cycle route".

Personally I find the one in Blackrock park a pain in the hole.

It's a park, you want to let children run free, skate or whatever but you're forever watching over your shoulder for some MAMIL tearing along throwing abuse at you.

The path is too narrow and just smacks of the council ticking a box saying "we built a cycle route".

Aggressive!

I love to cycle along this route to work and I am very grateful of its existence.

I am not polluting the environment, I am not cramming the road with a one man per car, l am hopefully keeping fitter and lessening my chances of being a burden on the health system, and not dicing with certain death on the shared double decker bus lane on the Rock road.

Aggressive!

I love to cycle along this route to work and I am very grateful of its existence.

I am not polluting the environment, I am not cramming the road with a one man per car, l am hopefully keeping fitter and lessening my chances of being a burden on the health system, and not dicing with certain death on the shared double decker bus lane on the Rock road.

That's grand, but it's a shared path when in reality, the footpath and cycle path should be separate.

I'm sure most cyclists recognise this, but there are those that don't unfortunately.

Aggressive!

You've taking an agreesive defence. He never said anything wrong about cyclists , he was talking about the infrastructure.

A white line gives an illusion that a the council have actually designed, planned and provided a safe cycling track when in fact they haven't.

I used it today, 3 kids ran across by the playground , 2 dogs on leads blocking the path, 3 cyclists on the wrong side of the path. A compete blind corner by the Martello tower is an accident waiting to happen

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    A white line gives an illusion that a the council have actually designed, planned and provided a safe cycling track when in fact they haven't.

I used it today, 3 kids ran across by the playground , 2 dogs on leads blocking the path, 3 cyclists on the wrong side of the path. A compete blind corner by the Martello tower is an accident waiting to happen

I get the impression you are a last word merchant. You are just short of adding the lines about cyclists crashing lights, paths, stereo stereo stereo.

Advertisement