Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Is it time to get a lobbying group together to convince our politicians to build some ****ing infrastructure before it's too late?

There are so many reasons to start now. So many!

Absolutely! And it will speed up the process if its unrelenting. But make sure your lobby has no members of political parties whatsoever and get a confident spokesperson for media interviews. Keep it tight and focused. No mass membership and ignore anyone that claims your aren't "open" to inclusiveness. Once you let all and sundry in, its game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have just read about Shane Ross blocking an enda kenny crony appointment and also in my local area trying to reduce scale of a housing development due to local concerns. I'm not sure whether he believes this is right or only does it for self gain, but do you think a letter should be penned to him asking him why a schemes capacity is being cut by one third to save peanuts? Pressure does have to be put on the politicians and planners. They don't do anything here until something is passed crisis point and they are shamed into it!!! Although I ca see public pressure in general seriously ramping up when the schools and colleges go back in the autumn , the weather gets bad and the city goes into even more gridlock than that time last year...

Would Frank McDonald in the irishtimes be worth trying? Also an raise supports metro north, will get in contact with them also, they may have some clout... I'm wondering is now the right time to exert pressure? Before we even see proposed plans for the new schemes? I find it beyond any comprehension that members of the public pointing out a33% cut in capacity for 5% of scheme (much of which will go back to government coffers) is beyond a joke!

Also with 90m trams, couldn't they run every second 90m tram to airport and the next 60m one Simply follows the cross city route to Hi Kiki. I hope you are keeping well! Do you have any availability to take on a private tuition? Thanks. Shane

Grandeeod wrote: »
    No its not funny. Its simply a blatant example of how politicians spoof and fudge when it comes to public transport. They are never called out on it anymore.
    rte the media etc do nothing to push this though. Rye are beyond a joke, anything the bleeding hearts can tune into is fm given endless air time. It also appears nobody in the media has the slightest clue about transport!!!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    rte the media etc do nothing to push this though. Rye are beyond a joke, anything the bleeding hearts can tune into is fm given endless air time. It also appears nobody in the media has the slightest clue about transport!!!

RTE and the media in general do nothing to push it because there is no alternative voice anymore. If the media have a credible source, they will push it. I remember a time, not so long ago, when operators and politicians where confronted in the media by a lobby and journalists like Frank McDonald actually consulted the same lobby.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is it time to get a lobbying group together to convince our politicians to build some ****ing infrastructure before it's too late?

There are so many reasons to start now. So many!
    Funny how we have no groups lobbying for infrastructure to be built - yet we do have a huge organisation dedicated to blocking improved infrastructure - Fine Gael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

marno21 wrote: »
    Funny how we have no groups lobbying for infrastructure to be built - yet we do have a huge organisation dedicated to blocking improved infrastructure - Fine Gael.

Has anyone ever started one though?

random_guy wrote: »
    Has anyone ever started one though?

Yeah. A fairly decent one was started in 2003 and fizzled out when certain people left. It was a tough ask aswell because the country was awash with money and the Government were promising everything anyway. Its actually needed more now than back then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Reuben1210 wrote: »

I liked a quote from that story.
    A Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) was established for Adamstown in 2003 to allow the fast-track development of a new suburb for the rapidly growing population of west Dublin.

How about building a fast track link for it - Dublin Underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

DU was ready to go last year with full planning, where were these councillors when the Gov. pulled the plug on it?

It's positive that decent PT is being highlighted as a prerequisite for large scale development, let's have this type of support before the next important infrastructure decision.

• Advertisement

DU is kind of like clothes. They come in and out of fashion. From time to time a designer will ignore the obvious and advocate a particular style. Then some celebrity will pop up at a particular event in the bleedin obvious and the same designer will suddenly fall over themselves in advocating this obvious style that they ignored.

If you actually think that these councillors are serious and committed to DU, then think again.

DU was ready to go last year with full planning, where were these councillors when the Gov. pulled the plug on it?
    at the time, I remember writing to Pascal Donohue about this! It was so bloody obvious things were picking up again and we were heading right back to bloody chronic congestion city and also the fact that the joke transport system here, massively hinders housing development...

And yet here we are a mere 9 months, 9 months after the project was axed. It is simply beyond a joke. Let me guess how things play out from here, they get worse, a whole lot worse...

Do these IDIOTS not remember what happened a few years ago, because its happening again right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Dail won't sanction such infrastructure for Dublin. Won't happen before Dublin has its own mayor with tax raising and spending powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,033 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We should start calling it the 25-county government :pac:

:(

Life ain't always empty.

I don't agree murphaph. The snakes will push it off and back as far as they can, but there is a limit on how much Dublin can take and how much they can get away with ... I can't see them weasling their way out of both projects. Short of another bust...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

at the time, I remember writing to Pascal Donohue about this! It was so bloody obvious things were picking up again and we were heading right back to bloody chronic congestion city and also the fact that the joke transport system here, massively hinders housing development...

And yet here we are a mere 9 months, 9 months after the project was axed. It is simply beyond a joke. Let me guess how things play out from here, they get worse, a whole lot worse...

Do these IDIOTS not remember what happened a few years ago, because its happening again right now!
    If I posted my opinions about Pascal Donohue here I wouldn't be a mod for too long more. For a Dublin 'representative', he certainly has a funny way of showing his representation.

The MO of most Minister of Transports these days is to say that there's no money for anything and just do nothing.

They will regret this constant mothballing of major PT projects when the city grinds to a halt and starts getting overlooked for foreign investment due to the pathetic infrastructure.

I was thinking about this earlier. They simply move position and there is no consequence. They couldn't care less, even if a multinational said we didn't move here due to shocking transport network. I doubt they'd care anywhere near as much about that as how its perceived outside Dublin or to the hoards of ignorant idiots who think it's excessive. They care about them come vote time...

Again with minister of transport. How much influence do they actually have in the big projects? It's beyond insane there is a money no object to Mickey Mouse motorways connecting villages down the country. Yet in Dublin any excuse to spend less and get worse value is embraced!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I was thinking about this earlier. They simply move position Nd there is no consequence. They couldn't care less, even if a multinational said we didn't move here due to shocking transport network. I doubt they'd care anywhere near as much about that as how its perceived outside Dublin or to the hoards of ignorant idiots who think it's excessive. They care about them come vote time...

Again with minister of transport. How much influence do they actually have in the big projects? It's beyond insane there is a money no object to Mickey Mouse motorways connecting villages down the country. Yet in Dublin any excuse to spend less and get worse value is embraced!!!

Agree, complete double standards and economically moronic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

murphaph wrote: »
    The Dail won't sanction such infrastructure for Dublin. Won't happen before Dublin has its own mayor with tax raising and spending powers.

And who do you think would sanction such a mayor?

And who do you think would sanction such a mayor?
    The Dail might sanction a mayor lite and the role might gradually evolve to an executive. I get your point that the Dail is not going to sanction a NY style mayor's office for Dublin in one fell swoop. They need Dublin's money to buy their reelections.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What Dublin needs is for the four councils to be merged into one council, with the number of councillors reduced to about 63 which is the number on DCC.

The Mayor (or Lord Mayor) could then be an executive mayor replacing the City Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

What Dublin needs is for the four councils to be merged into one council, with the number of councillors reduced to about 63 which is the number on DCC.

London boroughs are actually about the same size as Dublin county councils. It might not be a bad idea to split cities into smaller political units so prep pole don't feel entirely disconnected from their representatives.

London boroughs and Dublin counties haven't devolved all their responsibilities, some are shared between them to prevent duplication. In London, this is done by GLA, in Dublin it's done by DCC. The key difference is that GLA has actual powers to set policy and a budget to pay for it. In Dublin, DCC generally does it in cooperation with the other councils.

The biggest problem that I can see is not a single local authority, nor a single mayor with power (although I would love to see that) but the fact that the local authorities have relatively little ability to fundraise so large projects need to be approved by and funded by central government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The Mayor (or Lord Mayor) could then be an executive mayor replacing the City Manager.

The councillors will not vote for that, it means less jobs/pensions for them. These people are unemployable in the real world and they know it. Turkeys don't vote for christmas.

Sadly history tells us the Dail fears the potential power of Dublin politics. The Dail dismantled Dublin County Council after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A Dublin Mayor with expanded powers would make the Taoiseach and most of the Dail fairly irrelevant. You're likely to end up with a London situation where they're at least equally as powerful as the government. So I can see why most of them aren't too hot on the idea, but some moves in that direction need to start happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Dublin doesn't have a surplus of councillors. It has the same proportion as anywhere else. The 4 councils could remain in place as boroughs of a centralised Dublin authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Dublin doesn't have a surplus of councillors. It has the same proportion as anywhere else. The 4 councils could remain in place as boroughs of a centralised Dublin authority.

What was the original rationale for splitting Dublin into 4 councils?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Just a little bit further off-topic, I'd really like to know if Kiki was able to take the gig.

Mod : Can we return to Dublin Underground please - much and all as discussing how poorly Dublin is served by distribution of the state's infrastructure spending may have some small relevance to the project.

I have moved posts that are about project spending to a new thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Interesting stuff Sam.

Any mention of a possible rerouting of the DART Underground project, which originally had to be built via St. Stephen's Green to achieve integration of all rail modes, but will soon have other potential routes - like, for example, via the pedestrianised plaza proposed by Dublin City Council for College Green - and the discussion is cut off in minutes.

A considerable amount of material about the failures of Irish planning to correctly apportion the available money to the various projects needed or in train, and it's allowed to ramble on, on the DART Underground thread, for several days, over several pages, with you yourself contributing to the discussion.

It's a puzzle.

Advertisement