Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of a border poll?

Options
  • 18-07-2016 10:22pm

With Sinn Féin pushing for a border poll, Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael opening the door to a future referendum on Irish unity, would you be in favour of having a border poll?

A national debate and discussion, with people from all sides giving their input. I can't see why a border poll could be anything but beneficial and informative. Thoughts?

Would you be in favour of a border poll? 402 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 402 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Have the poll- I'd vote No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes and I'd vote yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The heart says yes, but the brain says no.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I think I'd be in favour of reunification, but not if people have to die for it, which I fear would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

No, we're not ready for reunification IMO. I'd imagine it'd be easily defeated, which is why I wouldn't want a border poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

With Sinn Féin pushing for a border poll, Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael opening the door to a future referendum on Irish unity, would you be in favour of having a border poll?

A national debate and discussion, with people from all sides giving their input. I can't see why a border poll could be anything but beneficial and informative. Thoughts?

On the contrary, I think it would be extremely divisive and end up as a big slanging match with a load of insults being thrown about. Given it would almost certainly fail (at this time), it would do more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'd vote no.

The reason being if ultimately a referendum on a United Ireland was the result, and it passed, militant Unionism would awaken and there would be bombs and killings all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Yes because it would definitively let us see where we stand on the issue. If its relatively close then we can discuss want the reality might be like. If its not close at all then we can put it to bed for a generation or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'd vote no.

The reason being if ultimately a referendum on a United Ireland was the result, and it passed, militant Unionism would awaken and there would be bombs and killings all over Ireland.
    Anything else you think is ok for appeasement? ISIS and the implementation of Sharia Law perhaps?

If it (United Ireland) ever came to pass there'd be a bit of grumbling, few skirmishes from uneducated thugs (nothing the security forces couldn't handle) and the place would settle back to normal - little changed from before.

I'd vote no.

How would such a campaign be carried out? Even at the height of the troubles, with the support of the RUC, British Army and courts; loyalists achieved little more than shooting random Catholics in areas close to their own areas.

The few big attacks they launched were either planned, supported, built or flat out carried out by agents of the British state. With no collusion to help them how far do you think any campaign, in the unlikely event one even managed to manifest itself, would actually go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    If it (United Ireland) ever came to pass there'd be a bit of grumbling, few skirmishes from uneducated thugs (nothing the security forces couldn't handle) and the place would settle back to normal - little changed from before.

militarily maybe, but economically the republic would suddenly be one the hook for billions to pour into the black hole that is the NI economy and changing everything over from UK to Ire systems, departments, currency etc would be a disaster.

The north would be stupid to leave the UK and the south would be stupid for taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Yeah, why not have a border poll . . . .

Can't do any harm, and it will sort out the question once & for all, won't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I'd like one, a nice big no to put the issue to bed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We can barely afford to keep ourselves going, what in god's name would we want with another 1.5 million people, including a lot of whom wouldn't want to be part of the country in the first place? The NI economy is propped up by massive investment from the British government that we simply couldn't afford, so I'd have to say that I wouldn't be in favour of a poll just in case it passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

militarily maybe, but economically the republic would suddenly be one the hook for billions to pour into the black hole that is the NI economy and changing everything over from UK to Ire systems, departments, currency etc would be a disaster.

The north would be stupid to leave the UK and the south would be stupid for taking it.

This is exactly why, even though as a romantic notion of a united Ireland it would be great, we can't be united. We simply can't afford it. We can't afford to run the part of the island we own, imagine the sh*t taking on the North would add. It'd take so much money to stabilise everything we'd be be bankrupted before we'd finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Not yet. Let's each Brexit develop and see can we "leverage" the threat of a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Reati wrote: »
    This is exactly why, even though as a romantic notion of a united Ireland it would be great, we can't be united. We simply can't afford it. We can't afford to run the part of the island we own, imagine the sh*t taking on the North would add. It'd take so much money to stabilise everything we'd be be bankrupted before we'd finish.

Who said we can't afford it? Those who probably don't want to lose their seats

or perks of office. Would we need as many politicians in the South if we had a

United Ireland? Surely we would have to lose a few of our own to

accommodate our Brothers from the North which might not be a bad thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

We'd go from a state of 4.75m to nearly 7 million people - there would definitely be synergies there.

Yes there would be short term financial pain, but great opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'd vote no.

Militant Unionism has always been organised and funded by British security forces. Take away their involvement and Unionism wouldn't be able to sustain attacks on the Republic.

Unionism has nothing to fear in a United Ireland and so much to gain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yes but not yet, wait and let Brexit develop a bit, see if the Scots leave and how our own economy goes. While we're waiting, it's time to start slowly appealing to the unionists, focusing on common ties rather than the divisive issues

• Advertisement

I'd like one, a nice big no to put the issue to bed.

Once it's opened it won't be closed until the inevitable happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

That's a weak cliched argument. What exactly is holding NI back from being a functioning economy? Subsidises that could evaporate soon enough?

If there ever was reunification then yes there would be an economic cost, but certainly not anyway near as bad as the doommongers are predicting - much of which is wild speculation. Compared to the cost Germany had during reunification or the bank bailout it would be trivial.

The ROI isn't perfect by any means but which half of the island has done better overall in the 100 odd years post 1916 and from a much worse economic starting point? If anyone is being romantic and ignoring pragmatic arguments it is unionists.

Yes but not yet, wait and let Brexit develop a bit, see if the Scots leave and how our own economy goes. While we're waiting, it's time to start slowly appealing to the unionists, focusing on common ties rather than the divisive issues

Eh... all this state does is appease Unionism at the expense of Nationalists in the 06. Successive Governments have done next to nothing for Nationalists yet bend over for Unionists due to Sinn Féin being in both jurisdictions.

In saying that my vision of the inevitable reunification of this island will entail appeasement of Unionists through the renegotiation of all flags, emblems, means of representation and redistribution of power to local areas etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No I wouldn't be in favour.

Cost is one factor, security issues (as others have pointed out) would be another big issue - FFS the Gardai can't and don't have the resources to even deal effectively with junkies on our Capital's main streets nevermind the prospect of militant Unionists - and most importantly, other than romanticism about a "United Ireland" why would EITHER side want it considering the state of public services and finances here as it is, the political gombeenism and parish pump nonsense, and that as it stands, (the Republic of) Ireland is already pretty divided when it comes to investment and return with Dublin pretty much subsiding everywhere else and being where most of the jobs are.

Not gonna happen anytime soon.. and that's a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

If it means we get Will Grigg, I am all for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No, we can't afford it.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No I wouldn't be in favour.

Cost is one factor, security issues (as others have pointed out) would be another big issue - FFS the Gardai can't and don't have the resources to even deal effectively with junkies on our Capital's main streets nevermind the prospect of militant Unionists - and most importantly, other than romanticism about a "United Ireland" why would EITHER side want it considering the state of public services and finances here as it is, the political gombeenism and parish pump nonsense, and that as it stands, (the Republic of) Ireland is already pretty divided when it comes to investment and return with Dublin pretty much subsiding everywhere else and being where most of the jobs are.

Not gonna happen anytime soon.. and that's a good thing!

€36bn within first 8 years - http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/united-irish-economy-could-deliver-boost-of-36bn-388959.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

militant Unionism would awaken and there would be bombs and killings all over Ireland.

To what ends? Unionism is predicated upon being in the UK. The British have already agreed they're out when a majority votes for it. How would bombing and shooting in Ireland force the British to take them back?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Eh... all this state does is appease Unionism at the expense of Nationalists in the 06. Successive Governments have done next to nothing for Nationalists yet bend over for Unionists due to Sinn Féin being in both jurisdictions.

In saying that my vision of the inevitable reunification of this island will entail appeasement of Unionists through the renegotiation of all flags, emblems, means of representation and redistribution of power to local areas etc...

But it should not be appeasement, but strengthening ties and making people amenable to the idea of a united Ireland in advance to reduce the need for appeasement later.

Nothing to stop us also strengthening our ties with the nationalist community, it doesn't have to be either or.

edit:sorry misread your post, reworded now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Who said we can't afford it? Those who probably don't want to lose their seats

or perks of office. Would we need as many politicians in the South if we had a

United Ireland? Surely we would have to lose a few of our own to

accommodate our Brothers from the North which might not be a bad thing!
    loose seats?, they are constitutionally protected and we actually now have to few believe it or not. It would increase numbers as UK representation numbers are lower than Ireland

Advertisement