Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Sold for $4billion

Options
  • 11-07-2016 5:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭

UFC has been sold to WME-IMG and MSD capital for $4billion

Dana will stay on

Just breaking so not much more to say

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Don't worry guys it's an April fools joke. He's pulling your leg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't worry guys it's an April fools joke. He's pulling your leg

NY times good enough for you??

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/11/business/dealbook/ufc-sells-itself-for-4-billion.html?_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well it isn't a surprise but I didn't think it'd happen so soon! Dana staying on is huge for them too, he comes across as a two-faced jackass at the best of times but he's a popular guy and has done a lot to grow the entire sport. He'll have his new puppet-masters well advised, that's for sure.

On a fun little side note, the amount of idiots on Twitter who think it was WWE who bought them out is staggering and hilarious.

Few more details here:

http://www.flocombat.com/article/43482-ufc-confirms-4-billion-sale-announcement-on-monday

Starting to look like Botter is the one to get this scoop first, but he'd say that of course. I believe him though, they confirmed the buyers weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

That's some return on an investment of $2m!!

That's some return on an investment of $2m!!

The largest sale of a franchise in the history of all sport too apparently. Mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

scudzilla wrote:
    UFC has been sold to WME-IMG and MSD capital for $4billion

Anymore details on this crowd? Who are they or what do they already own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Ari Emanuel is part owner, if you ever watched Entourage, Ari Gold character is based on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MSD is Michael Dells investment company.

• Advertisement

You'll get some idea here but it's by no means a detailed run-down of their assets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Morris_Endeavor

They seem to be covering a wide spectrum in business anyway. Interestingly, I read this morning that they represent Ronda Rousey, among other MMA talent.

That's just the WME though, there's other parties involved too.

Hopefully they announce the UK tv deal this week.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Hopefully they announce the UK tv deal this week.

I've a feeling they'll tie that announcement in with the location and details of Bisping vs Henderson, the timing for that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Do you guys reckon there will be any significant changes in the sport because of the sale? I reckon Joe Rogan will probably stop working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kur4mA wrote: »
    Do you guys reckon there will be any significant changes in the sport because of the sale? I reckon Joe Rogan will probably stop working for them.

I don't think there will be for the time being. I'd imagine they'll continue as things are going for a few years and then perhaps.

Joe will probably stop working with them but I feel that may have happened in any case. His contract is up in August so bowing out after McGregor v Diaz 2 would be a cool way to finish off. He has said before that he flip-flops from day-to-day about whether he would like to renew his deal and that he much prefers just shooting the breeze with the lads on the Fight Companion podcasts.

Kur4mA wrote: »

Possible extension of the Ali Act to MMA if the new owners don't dig their heels in against it the way the Fertittas did.

In short, that would be very good for fighters, but not so good for us fans. We're talking championships organised by third parties, black and white ranking system (makes it much tougher to put together showcase fights which are becoming more prevalent in the UFC these days).

EDIT: I prefer Paully's post though! Optimism is needed for sure, but Rogan looks like a goner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

martyos121 wrote: »
    Possible extension of the Ali Act to MMA if the new owners don't dig their heels in against it the way the Fertittas did.

Surely that proposed extension would be extremely bad for the promoters too? So they are bound to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Rogan is always humming and hawing about leaving - and said explicitly if the UFC is sold he is gone - but with Dana staying on im not sure he will be so quick to leave.

I have become a big fan of Rogan after becoming addicted to the JRE and would not like to see him go! I think he adds an awful lot to the events he covers!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So Michael Dell bought it I wonder will he open a UFC headquaters in Limerick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Paully D wrote:
    Joe will probably stop working with them but I feel that may have happened in any case. His contract is up in August so bowing out after McGregor v Diaz 2 would be a cool way to finish off. He has said before that he flip-flops from day-to-day about whether he would like to renew his deal and that he much prefers just shooting the breeze with the lads on the Fight Companion podcasts.

God I hope not stuck with stann and Anik Ughh

• Advertisement

Goldie not going anywhere, he said he needs to pay check for another 10 years, not like anyone else is gonna pay him decent wedge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Goldie not going anywhere, he said he needs to pay check for another 10 years, not like anyone else is gonna pay him decent wedge anyway.

WWE made Goldberg a huge money offer years ago. They saw him as the long term replacement of Jim Ross. Apparently he was pretty close to accepting it as well but ultimately chose to resign with UFC.

Apparently Vince McMahon wanted him to stall UFC in contract negotiations and no show a UFC PPV that was going head to head with a WWE PPV which would have left UFC literally no time to find a replacement. He refused to do that, apparently told UFC about it and then decided not to accept WWEs offer because he knew there was a good chance he would be turned into a WWE caricature if he signed with them. He has said since that he came very close to signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think much is going to change day to day tbh. These guys are now the majority owners, but the UFC isn't going to be their day job.
    Dana will still be president and part-owner. Shelby and Silva are still talent scouts and matchmakers, Ratner is VP, etc. The vast majority of UFC positions are filled by the same people.

The major business decisions will be made by the new owners. But I think the reason they are in a position to sell is because they hit a lot of business milestones in the last few years. Fox, Reebok, Fightpass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Paully D wrote: »

I think the noises Joe is making is a contract negotiation tactic more than anything else.

What reason would he have to leave? It seems like a great gig, at least from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I think the noises Joe is making is a contract negotiation tactic more than anything else.

What reason would he have to leave? It seems like a great gig, at least from the outside.

And why wouldn't he, new owners would be keen to keep the foundations of the brand, which Joe is.

Dana was cryptically hinting on Twitter that he's staying, gave the thumbs up in response to asking was Joe staying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

If Joe Rogan leaves I'd absolutely love for Bas Rutten to take his place!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

There will be changes for sure these people arent spending 4 billion on a company to let it run the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Gamebred wrote: »
    There will be changes for sure these people arent spending 4 billion on a company to let it run the same way.

Why? If it aint broke don't fix it

Sure there will be some smaller changes behind the scenes but i doubt they'll change the format too much, it works, hence the crazy price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why? If it aint broke don't fix it

Sure there will be some smaller changes behind the scenes but i doubt they'll change the format too much, it works, hence the crazy price

You'd be very naive to think these billionaires dont have plans for the company,why buy at all so? they will have a plan for the company no doubt about it they will want to increase the income to get that investment back for the owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭finglashoop

How did they get such a price?

And if that is the value if the company, the fighters are getting screwed

Advertisement