Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Sold for $4billion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

One major change I could imagine will be co-promotion with the wwe. There is absolutely zero need for them to bash each other or compete for the same audience. If done successfully the WWE could be a major source of new/young fans for the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

JJayoo wrote: »
    One major change I could imagine will be co-promotion with the wwe. There is absolutely zero need for them to bash each other or compete for the same audience. If done successfully the WWE could be a major source of new/young fans for the UFC.

They would probably try - but the usa ufc fans detest the wwe seeing it as a mockery of combat sports - not all but a majority.

Could work though too - its a good point.

I would hate to have to negotiate with Vince McMahon on any level though - urgh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

ardinn wrote: »
    They would probably try - but the usa ufc fans detest the wwe seeing it as a mockery of combat sports - not all but a majority.

Could work though too - its a good point.

I would hate to have to negotiate with Vince McMahon on any level though - urgh!!

They probably won't alienate current fans enough to stop them watching though and WWE has such a big fanbase. WWE livestreamed the weigh-ins on their Youtube channel and got over 1m viewers watching at one point, this is significantly more than UFC would ever get even with Conor afaik.

The UFC has been becoming more and more like the WWE outside of the ring for some time now, I expect that to continue under new ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ardinn wrote: »

Not sure where you got that info. But I don't think its true. There is a fan cross over if anything.

Anyway apparently Dana signed a 5 year deal with UFC

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/17017718/dana-white-new-deal-gives-piece-future-ufc-net-profits

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lukker- wrote: »
    Also I think fighter pay is probably in line to increase a bit. The likes of Dana, who a few months ago was saying he'd quit if the UFC was ever sold, the same as Joe Rogan, it was most likely posturing on their behalf, to get more money and in both cases has appeared to work.

I don't think Dana was posturing a few months. He was an owner. If they sold it, he'd have no reason to stay.
    This deal where he cashes out, but keep most of his profit share and possibly some equity is insanely good for him. He's be mad to turn it down.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think Dana was posturing a few months. He was an owner. If they sold it, he'd have no reason to stay.
    This deal where he cashes out, but keep most of his profit share and possibly some equity is insanely good for him. He's be mad to turn it down.

He's an owner but he's also part of the brand, the new owners wanted to keep him and he knew that IMO

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's an owner but he's also part of the brand, the new owners wanted to keep him and he knew that IMO

My point was that if it was a 100% buyout, there's would have been no possible scenario where he continues in the role.

He's a key part of the brand, the owners would be insane to not want to keep him. I just don't think the comments he made would have had an effect on the offer/decision. The Ari guy that is involved negotiates contracts for a living, and is likely sh*thot at it.

I keep picturing this.
    tumblr_lrlinuX7VB1qg6v9wo1_400.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

My point was that if it was a 100% buyout, there's would have been no possible scenario where he continues in the role.

He's a key part of the brand, the owners would be insane to not want to keep him. I just don't think the comments he made would have had an effect on the offer/decision. The Ari guy that is involved negotiates contracts for a living, and is likely sh*thot at it.

I keep picturing this.

5KoIGNa.gif

When he realizes the amount of pull outs and main event changes in the new company he bought :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dana to get 9% of the UFCs net profit, what a deal for Baldy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ASOT wrote: »
    Dana to get 9% of the UFCs net profit, what a deal for Baldy.

He needs it. Only pocketed a measly $360m from the buyout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

Devastator wrote: »
    He needs it. Only pocketed a measly $360m from the buyout :D

Poor guy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I keep picturing this.

The UFC have used him to negotiate deals themselves. He was involved in the Fox deal I think and he used to pop up in Dana's old video logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There goes my ONE FC buyout prediction:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1379992-asia-mma-promotion-one-championship-attracts-big-stake-from-new-investor#.V4cQWVxvV3A.twitter
    Just two days after the UFC was sold for US$4-billion to a group of investors led by Hollywood talent agency WME-IMG, Asian-based One Championship announced it had reached agreement with a consortium-led by Heliconia Capital Management for an investment into the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Id say the ring girls are sh!tting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

califano wrote: »
    Id say the ring girls are sh!tting it.

Now thats a PPV I would pay to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Devastator wrote: »
    Now thats a PPV I would pay to see :D

Ultimate Feces Championsh..... *vomits*

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This deal would have been contingent on him working out a period of time with the company, its called Golden Handcuffs. I've been involved in a couple of negotiations in big deals (nothing on this scale but 7 figures a few times) and the legalese involved would wreck your head. There are restrictions put on everything from anti-compete clauses (cant work in combat sports again for X years) to share sales (cant sell any remaining shares for X months/years). They most likely had 6-10 lawyers on each side of the table up until the point of signing it and "signing day" can go on for a week as every single clause it checked and modified. Imagine, every single contract with every fighter has to be checked for problems, every supplier, every TV network, etc etc...

I think this was a more a golden ticket than handcuffs. The deal that's in place allows him to sell his shares, but keep in equity share of the profits while he works there. It's an insanely good deal for him, handcuffs not required.

I think this was a more a golden ticket than handcuffs. The deal that's in place allows him to sell his shares, but keep in equity share of the profits while he works there. It's an insanely good deal for him, handcuffs not required.

Agree with that. He's going to make about $18m a year. That's not far off what MLB or Nfl commissioners make and that's at current profit levels.

5 year contract, wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stay on after. Promoting is what he does and I can't see him doing it outside of the UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Hmm Darren Rovell is pretty reliable, this post got a few responses from Dana as well. Wonder if WME-IMG can/will pull out.

They can't be happy seeing Jones and Brock popping and being shelved for two years. That's believing Brock would fight again. I think he would have prior to the results coming out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/755860865619025920

Advertisement