Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 completely confused

Hi everyone,

Moved to London 2 months ago and have to say I'm finding it difficult. I lived in a different part of the UK for 3 years before this and got on great, so has come as a bit of a shock that I'm finding London life so lonely. How did you all cope in the period before you made friends? How did you make friends? My workplace doesn't have much potential for making friends unfortunately.

I am looking to join a sports team but just generally feeling very down and viewing Ireland with very big rose tinted glasses! Please tell me it gets better?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I moved to London years and years ago, lasted 9 months before moving back home as I was so lonely! So I know how horrible it can be.

My second stint in London has been a lot more positive. I've made friends by getting myself out there and just doing things. For instance I joined a sport and made lots of great friends through that.

I've met some great people through this forum, so you could use this as a starting place; there is a group who usually go to a pub quiz in Kilburn every week and there is also cinema thread where people go to films. You can always post in the Event & Gig Buddies thread to see if anyone wants to go for a drink or something in particular.

meetup.com is also really good, theres loads of meet up groups for people who want to do stuff.

Don't get too down about it, London is a hard city, anyone who moved here without a support network would find it hard. But London is also a place where there is tons going on so there's bound to be some groups you can join that suit your interests. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 completely confused

Thanks so much for the reply! I guess I jsut didnt expect it to be hard at all having lived in the UK for 3 years and made lots of good friends, but London is another ball game altogether!

I actually only live one stop up from Kilburn, so a pub quiz would be great. I have joined groups on meet up, just need to bite the bullet and go! Its good to hear that others have been in the same boat. I was determined to move to London and it's hard to admit that it isn't as rosy as I thought it would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't see a thread on the main UK forum, so might well apply here. I have read of temp bank accounts you can use to transfer money to while you are waiting for a fixed address/utility bill etc.

I have also read that some of these can have high fees?

What would you recommend as the best way to transfer a large sum of money from say, a credit union, to a UK bank account or a temp UK bank account?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Thanks so much for the reply! I guess I jsut didnt expect it to be hard at all having lived in the UK for 3 years and made lots of good friends, but London is another ball game altogether!

I actually only live one stop up from Kilburn, so a pub quiz would be great. I have joined groups on meet up, just need to bite the bullet and go! Its good to hear that others have been in the same boat. I was determined to move to London and it's hard to admit that it isn't as rosy as I thought it would be.

Do keep an eye on the quiz thread and come along whenever you want. We've been a bit quiet over the summer, but should be going regularly enough again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Do keep an eye on the quiz thread and come along whenever you want. We've been a bit quiet over the summer, but should be going regularly enough again soon.

Hey! A fellow Paddy here who moved over to London a year ago and also fancy coming along to some pub quiz/meet up. I was checking the London forum and hoping there was a boards meetup in London somehow :) However the last thread i found was February so i missed that boat :P To make a few friends from home would be great you'd miss the craic from home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I think its time for another forum meetup....anyone else interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Assuming I already have a job in London, and assuming I'll be living there for 4-5 weeks before getting my first paycheck, can someone indicate how much funds I'd need to move. I have a fair idea how much to budget for food and transport, but I'm unsure of the costs associated with getting accomodation. Also, any hiddden expenses?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Assuming I already have a job in London, and assuming I'll be living there for 4-5 weeks before getting my first paycheck, can someone indicate how much funds I'd need to move. I have a fair idea how much to budget for food and transport, but I'm unsure of the costs associated with getting accomodation. Also, any hiddden expenses?

Thanks.

The cost of living consists of:
    Rent - varies massively depending on what you want. From £350 for a single room in a house share to easily £1200+ for an ok 1 bedroom apartment in zone 3+.

On top of rent there is council tax which is based on the property value. Usually between 100-150 a month. 25% discount applies if you live in a property alone.

Then water, gas and electricity. Water is a fixed amount. We pay 25 a month in a 4 bed house. It will be less in a 1 bed apartment.
    Gas and elec are usually combined. Ours is usually around 200 per 3 months in summer and 600 in winter for 4 people.

Internet + TV. I pay 45 for standard channels and 30mb internet.

Usually if renting a whole apartment you will be dealing with an agency who charge a fee for services such as credit check and other bull **** reasons. Probably something like 150.
    They will expect 1 months rent deposit and 1 months rent upfront.

Also considering salary, don't forget that national insurance is also deduted from your pay check at 12%. This is separate from income tax. I didn't know about this when I was initially negotiating my salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

^^
    Thanks.

I read somewhere that it is typical for London landlords/agencies to request 3-4 months rent in advance. Is that correct? Doesn't seem so to me?

• Advertisement

^^
    Thanks.

I read somewhere that it is typical for London landlords/agencies to request 3-4 months rent in advance. Is that correct? Doesn't seem so to me?

No, I've never seen that. I've seen 1.5 months deposit but that's the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

^^
    Thanks.

Do you mean the deposit? Rent is only ever a month in advance.

Most reputable agents will ask for 6 weeks deposit, but I have seen 2 months asked for. Its held in deposit protection though, and its return less deductions is managed by an inventory clerk independent of the LL or agent.

Ive around £3k held in deposit protection, which I keep forgetting about, and I realise every once in a while that I am £3k richer than I think I am! There is much less to worry about re. deposit than in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

Hey everyone I'm looking for a room in the Clapham area and would like to live with irish if anyone knows of any irish house shares going?, I am also looking to meet up with other irish people as it can get lonely and I would like some people to watch the rugby with or go to a pub quiz, any help would be appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hiujn

I'm wondering is it worth moving to london to work in construction are jobs hard to get?
    I have no qualifications or references been out of work too long at this stage hence thinking about this. I would be happy to stay in hostels until i get sorted and gather cash to rent somewhere proper to take my wife and child over i'm 30 and have little in the way of funds but i'm a hard worker what would i need to get started cash wise and anything else?

I would be putting the price of a return ticket to one side in case things didn't work out but i was talking to a guy who has retired and spent his younger years in london he says if you are willing to put in the work it is the place to make a good life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

Hey everyone I'm looking for a room in the Clapham area and would like to live with irish if anyone knows of any irish house shares going?, I am also looking to meet up with other irish people as it can get lonely and I would like some people to watch the rugby with or go to a pub quiz, any help would be appreciated .

I live in Crystal Palace. Give us a shout sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Sorry to hear about your circumstances. I don’t work in construction myself but moved over in 2001 with no job. I booked into a hostel for the first week and had about £800 and a return flight booked. Thankfully I got a job on Thursday and had enough left to stay on before pay day. I didn’t have a family though so perhaps less of a risk.

Check out some sites before you came over you might have a few things lined up when you arrive. I just did a google search and came across this:

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/jobs/construction/london

If you did get something, you’d be earning sterling which would be great if you’re sending money back.

There seems to be a lot of buidling going on in London judging by the number of cranes which is always a good sign.

You sound like you’re determined and just want a better life for your family. Very best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

I have a friend over in london at the moment. She lives in Greenwich.
    Would like to know what kind of area it is. Im planning to head over maybe in week or 2. Ill be looking for a room share until I get settled.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Mod note: I've moved a couple of queries in here as they don't need separate threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I have a friend over in london at the moment. She lives in Greenwich.
    Would like to know what kind of area it is. Im planning to head over maybe in week or 2. Ill be looking for a room share until I get settled.
    Cheers

Greenwich is nice. I lived there for a year when I first moved over. It has a sort of village feel and is handy for connections via City Airport

Biggest negative for me was it's not the best for getting home after a night out

Is it difficult to get financing in London? I'm thinking of getting a scooter but don't have the money. I'll need financing.

• Advertisement

Is it difficult to get financing in London? I'm thinking of getting a scooter but don't have the money. I'll need financing.

You'll probably need to be here a while build up a credit rating first but once you've been with a bank for a while you shouldn't have too much trouble (provided your rating is good obviously)

x43r0 wrote: »
    You'll probably need to be here a while build up a credit rating first but once you've been with a bank for a while you shouldn't have too much trouble (provided your rating is good obviously)

I got settled anyway. Thanks for the advice. Greenwich is beautiful. Wan't expecting this.

Im planning on hitting the town this weekend? Any idea where all the hipsters and artists hang out?

I got settled anyway. Thanks for the advice. Greenwich is beautiful. Wan't expecting this.

Im planning on hitting the town this weekend? Any idea where all the hipsters and artists hang out?

Shoreditch, hoxton, dalston

That general area

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Gift of the Gabbert

Anyone know a decent pub to watch the Ireland game tonight in the Tottenham area?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 damok89

Hey, I was wondering how are you finding London now? I can totally relate to your post. II moved over here at the end of October and I am having the same problem. I am just after getting a room in a house share near Hammersmith so hopefully things will get better. I'm finding it lonely and I never thought it would be so tough.
    Hi everyone,

Moved to London 2 months ago and have to say I'm finding it difficult. I lived in a different part of the UK for 3 years before this and got on great, so has come as a bit of a shock that I'm finding London life so lonely. How did you all cope in the period before you made friends? How did you make friends? My workplace doesn't have much potential for making friends unfortunately.

I am looking to join a sports team but just generally feeling very down and viewing Ireland with very big rose tinted glasses! Please tell me it gets better?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

If you had a job that you could do from home, where in the EU would be ideal to live post Brexit (excluding Ireland)?

PH4T wrote: »
    If you had a job that you could do from home, where in the EU would be ideal to live post Brexit (excluding Ireland)?

Bulgaria - 10% Income tax. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Hi everyone, I'm planning on finally making the move mid-April. My plan is to stay in an Airbnb for 2 weeks, find an apartment and move in May 1st. Any neighbourhood recommendations? I'm considering Bloomsbury, Covent Garden, Mayfair for example but I'm open-minded.

What kind of accommodation styles is standard in London? I expected with an old city and many heritage buildings, that small spaces would be common. That's pretty much what I've been finding on EasyRoommate. Another thing I've noticed is that the bulk of sharing accommodation is with several people - 4 or 5 I keep seeing. Are there many modern apartments - for 2 people sharing? If so, which websites are good for that?

I'm planning on budgeting a bit at the start and spending around £850 per month just until I get sorted with a job, then I can splash out more.

Hi everyone, I'm planning on finally making the move mid-April. My plan is to stay in an Airbnb for 2 weeks, find an apartment and move in May 1st. Any neighbourhood recommendations? I'm considering Bloomsbury, Covent Garden, Mayfair for example but I'm open-minded.

What kind of accommodation styles is standard in London? I expected with an old city and many heritage buildings, that small spaces would be common. That's pretty much what I've been finding on EasyRoommate. Another thing I've noticed is that the bulk of sharing accommodation is with several people - 4 or 5 I keep seeing. Are there many modern apartments - for 2 people sharing? If so, which websites are good for that?

I'm planning on budgeting a bit at the start and spending around £850 per month just until I get sorted with a job, then I can splash out more.

£850 per month on rent alone? That's about what you'd expect for a room sharing considering you've listed out 3 of the most expensive areas in London above. Are you dead set on living so central? I personally would say that's crazy as you'd get very little value for money on accommodation.

I'd suggest looking at stuff in Zone 2 where your money would go a bit further and you could still get that central feel like Camden or Clapham.

Take a look at www.spareroom.co.uk

The longer I've been here the further out I seem to move due to better priced places (in Zone 4 now). I find it much better having disposable income and having to travel a bit than seeing all my money go out on rent

• Advertisement

Where will you be working and what sort of lifestyle do you want to lead?

As mentioned those are very pricy areas and most stuff there is pretty old.
    You can rent a whole apartment for 1100 per month in zone 3-4.

If you want newer builds then start looking at canary wharf, Stratford in the east. There is a huge amount of building going on there with lots of new builds over the past few years.

Advertisement