Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

the only thing that i can come up with ( and this is purely my own speculation) is that the suspect had "dirt" on the FF man and vowed to bring him down as well if he had to go down , either that or just the fact they may have been part of the same ring, that the FF man felt he could get away with getting one of his own type off & did so

This is pretty much the conclusion I came to. There's a bigger reason they've gone to such lengths to protect this man. As I said before, I strongly believe they're waiting for one or both of them to die before moving on this. They don't want this guy questioned because of who he might bring down with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I can't believe that I've had sympathy over the years for the individual I believe the documentary labelled.

I'm sure there are many like me, allowed to think that way until being forced to look at the obvious and learning about the alleged political interference.

But something still doesn't fit right with me about the two ex gaurds interviewed.

Did they seek to publicise the interference before now?

Who did they contact?

Other politicians, RTE, press or GSOC?

If they did, great, why hasn't it been made public before now?

If not, it's a bit late now.

Did Gemma O Doherty dig them out or did they contact her?

It does seem like their hands were tied, and that they tried numerous times to get it escalated to no avail. They seemed immensely frustrated and heartbroken by it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

oranbhoy67 wrote:
    it is strange all right i remember reading at the time that he thought it was a cattle grave which he said would be fairly common and he had faith that the gards had checked it out , i must find the link though

Still though, Surly over the years it was known the Garda hadn't checked the spot.. To wait 30 years, then go mad when the site is dug up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I see they are calling on the commissioner to arrest the man they claim is responsible. What evidence is there against him that merits an arrest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Was this case ever officially reviewed over the years? Like a cold case? Re interviewing everyone involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I can't believe that I've had sympathy over the years for the individual I believe the documentary labelled.

I'm sure there are many like me, allowed to think that way until being forced to look at the obvious and learning about the alleged political interference.

But something still doesn't fit right with me about the two ex gaurds interviewed.

Did they seek to publicise the interference before now?

Who did they contact?

Other politicians, RTE, press or GSOC?

If they did, great, why hasn't it been made public before now?

If not, it's a bit late now.

Did Gemma O Doherty dig them out or did they contact her?

I wouldn't be too hard on the two Gardaí. One
    of them, in particular, seemed very upset that Mary's killer has never been brought to justice.
    They clearly had wanted to bring in the suspect for questioning but were forbidden from doing so by their superiors.

Edit: Out of interest, why would you have had sympathy for the suspect over the years?

robbiezero wrote: »
    I see they are calling on the commissioner to arrest the man they claim is responsible. What evidence is there against him that merits an arrest?

I doubt he will be arrested. Mary Boyle's mother is very resistant to an inquiry being held, even going to the extreme, apparently, of putting in her will that she does not want one, even after her death! And, it seems, the Justice Minister is listening to her, or rather, taking cover behind her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Just stumbled across this today, had never heard of the case before. Putting 1 + 1 together it seems a lot of people know what happened & who did it. Unfortunately somebody in "high society" is blocking the whole thing.
    I really feel for the family, to never know or see justice is a horrible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

You can not have individuals making up their own laws of the land. This country has laws that our government must enforce and nobody should be above that .Let justice be served .With out law we are lawless .Shame .
    .A cover up is as bad as a murder must be interpreted as assistance and should be prosecuted like wise

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote:
    I doubt he will be arrested. Mary Boyle's mother is very resistant to an inquiry being held, even going to the extreme, apparently, of putting in her will that she does not want one, even after her death! And, it seems, the Justice Minister is listening to her, or rather, taking cover behind her!

Had the mother something to do with it or what? This isn't normal, especially to go as far as putting it in her will!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭LCD

Had the mother something to do with it or what? This isn't normal, especially to go as far as putting it in her will!

Could one of the mother's family be the culprit? Protecting the family name or the person themselves. Is very odd behavior for a mother

LCD wrote:
    Could one of the mother's family be the culprit? Protecting the family name or the person themselves. Is very odd behavior for a mother

Exactly. If someone's daughter was murdered surly she would fight till her last breath an after that, to ensure the sick person who raped and killed her daughter was served justice.

Somethings way off here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

brooke 2 wrote: »
    mary boyle's mother or her will is not the law.if that were so i could rob a bank and get mary boyle's mother to put in her will i am not prosecuted.

also the garda who said "as an experienced garda you know by a look in someone's eyes if they are guilty" is of no use in court. neither are any of the "i believe this or i believe that"

What the family want is irrelevant. you do not get a choice to decideif a crime in your family is prosecuted.

Going to pearse street was an amateur foolish thing to do. If Margo went to Dublin she should have gone to the head quarters of the garda

The only question is why is the law not being enforced? Who is not doing their job?Complain them to GSOC Is there enough evidence to arrest the suspect? if so why is he not arrested? I do not know about law or how much evidence is needed

I thought it a poor film. over long, badly directed. gemma standing outside a garda station

A very close relation of the mother is the suspect. Must have been horrible for her
    when she found out. Even more horrible to discover that her own flesh and blood may
    have killed her child. Disgrace, humiliation and shame to the family name may explain
    her desire to keep things quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

There are many unsolved cases out there where the answer to the crime is right there under your nose .

brooke 2 wrote:
    A very close relation of the mother is the suspect. Must have been horrible for her when she found out. Even more horrible to discover that her own flesh and blood may have killed her child. Disgrace, humiliation and shame to the family name may explain her desire to keep things quiet.

Na sorry. If my own brother raped and murdered my little daughter, I wouldn't care about anything only him getting locked up for it.

Mary Boyles mother is a discusting person if she's knowingly letting a rapist and murderer roam free.

kerry cow wrote: »
    There are many unsolved cases out there where the answer to the crime is right there under your nose .
    There may be but usually the garda know but do not have evidence

Is it a fair comment that the cover up is wanted by certain sections of the family? So the politician is protecting them all not just the 'suspect'

The may think it is "better not wash their dirty linen in public" her mother said thing swere better dealt with quietly . What does quietly mean in this context. was the suspect in some way punished within the family?

And since the gardai said he was likely to re offend how come he did not?

LCD wrote: »

Hard to understand how determined she is that there should never be an inquiry, even after her death.
    Would she be financially dependent on this man? She is estranged from her daughter and seems quite
    annoyed at all the attention Ann is getting in the media about Mary's disappearance. Said something
    about how it would be better to do these things quietly and all that 'running to Westminster, Brussels,
    etc. 'was nonsense'. :( She seemed to get very worked up about that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Na sorry. If my own brother raped and murdered my little daughter, I wouldn't care about anything only him getting locked up for it.
    God forbid but if it was my daughter, I'd be the one facing prison time after what I'd do to the brother!

kbannon wrote:
    God forbid but if it was my daughter, I'd be the one facing prison time after what I'd do to the brother!

Exactly. I certainly wouldn't be putting it in my will that my brother never be found out.. I'm now of the opinion that the mother should be arrested and questioned as she is aiding in a serious crime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I rang the mother a few weeks ago , I was very nervous doing this as I had always thought of her as "poor ann who lost Mary" etc until I had found out what was revealed last night ( and more tbh)

My nerves didnt last after she started ranting down the phone to me after I asked her about the accusations.

It was me she said to that she was going to put it in her will that there will not be an inquest , I asked her why she said "thats my business & no one elses" i answered that it was the business of everyone which she disputed, I then said that a child killer was free so it was in everyones interest , she started scolding me saying to me "how dare you say my child is dead" as you can see from the documentary she has admitted herself Mary is gone ,

She then tried another emotional argument with me " your uncle charlie didnt want an inquest neither we had discussed it before he passed so im respecting his wishes" i was disgusted that she was speaking for a man that isnt here to speak himself - but then when he was alive that was the way as well but we just didnt realize what was going on at the time .

She said she knows how inquests works as there was one held for my uncle Charlie and that "they dont have any power anyway" i replied that if this was the case then why was she worried , which was met with another torrent of screaming.

All in all who knows if the doc last night was correct no one can be 100% sure i know what i believe and I know that my cousin deserves an inquest at the very least and a real investigation into the crime and everyone who has covered it up held responsible

I still think they will wait until the 2 main players are dead to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

How often in cases like this is it the last person known to have seen the victim alive is the culprit?

to add to this I and at least a hundred more people wrote letters to the Donegal Coroner asking him to hold an inquest into Marys death, we all got a copy and paste reply noting our interest & he told Young annes solicitors that he wasnt holding an inquest as he feared for how it would affect old annes health!

words just fail you at revelations like that !

mikeymouse wrote: »
    How often in cases like this is it the last person known to have seen the victim alive is the culprit?

https://www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-child-abuse

90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68% are abused by a family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

90% of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68% are abused by a family member.
    If those figures are right then 90% of police effort should be on that person in this case ,bearing in mind the remoteness of the area.
    What are the odds of a predator being in that area at that time?

The last person to see a victim alive, with no witnesses to corroborate the story, should at the very least be formally questioned. You would think so anyway.

mikeymouse wrote: »
    If those figures are right then 90% of police effort should be on that person in this case ,bearing in mind the remoteness of the area.
    What are the odds of a predator being in that area at that time?

I was at the scene a few months ago , the local taxi driver didnt even know how to get to it, you have to drive up a long twisting private (but there was no signs and gates were open) lane to get there

Its also on an exposed hillside and there was poachers on the lake that day who had a lookout on the hill who saw no strange vehicles. for me to walk from the front door of the house to the main road took about 15 minutes & I am 6"2 tall , i didnt even attempt to retrace Marys "final journey" as the land was so rough looking

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

brooke 2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too hard on the two Gardaí. One
    of them, in particular, seemed very upset that Mary's killer has never been brought to justice.
    They clearly had wanted to bring in the suspect for questioning but were forbidden from doing so by their superiors.

Edit: Out of interest, why would you have had sympathy for the suspect over the years?

Because I was naive.

I believed the unbelievable account that was
    given, that he had nothing to do with it.

I had thought of how guilty he must have felt letting her out of his sight, all the time thinking she was following him.

Looking around and not seeing her.

Then finding out she was missing.

Did many berate him for letting her out of his sight, I don't know, I don't remember anyone saying that here very much, certainly not like the McCanns were berated.

Advertisement