Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

chris Evans confirmed as new TOP Gear presenter

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I wonder a) who's going to replace him b) will viewer numbers rise again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Hopefully LeBlanc stays on now and lets get another petrol head to replace loudmouth evans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Matt Le Blanc, Sabine Schmitz, Chris Harris, Rory Reid and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Well that didn't last long :P said it at the time Evans was a disastrous appointment , he's like a kid on a sugar rush running around the place and shouting , just made the whole thing kinda goofy which as never what top gear was about ... To be honest the whole new format sucks , BBC should just let it go now it will never be the same or as good as when it was Clarkson , May and Hammond , BBC shot themselves in the foot bowing to the PC pressure to sack Clarkson, Top Gear is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The original 3 were not great when they first started out. Years of experience and people grew with them.

No matter who they were replaced with the ratings would have gone down and they would have been hated. If they were there 10 years from now you would have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd honestly be more inclined to watch the show now without Evans, I just found him cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think they need to bring in anyone to replace him, they already have loads of presenters.

The guy who hosts the spinoff show afterwards is pretty good, may be they will use him or do you think they need a big name?

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    The guy who hosts the spinoff show afterwards is pretty good, may be they will use him or do you think they need a big name?
    I don't think they ever needed a big name. Chris Harris already comes with a big following, Rory Reid is very good in front of the camera, just move those two up with Le Blanc and they have a trio again. Sabine isn't great as a front presenter because of the language barrier but she's great in the pieces they do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Whoever was brought in as the replacement was destined to be slammed for not being Clarkson. Evans was that sacrificial offering.

The next presenter will be better just due to the fact that they are not the presenter directly after Clarkson. If they had had anyone else in for this series they would still have been slated, you could then bring in Evans to replace them and everyone would love him.

I like LeBlanc and I am quite surprised there isn't more of a furore about him too. He is inexperienced as a presenter and it shows. He is a nervous and awkward and his timing is off. With time he will get the hang of it of course, but time is not something Top Gear fans are willing to give it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With time he will get the hang of it of course, but time is not something Top Gear fans are willing to give it seems.

It's not 2fm or the sugababes where you can just go in with no relevant employment history and do work experience and hopefully get the hang of it. Top Gear is a massive deal for the BBC.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's not 2fm or the sugababes where you can just go in and do work experience and hopefully get the hang of it. Top Gear is a massive deal for the BBC.

Well they took him on in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

I like LeBlanc and I am quite surprised there isn't more of a furore about him too. He is inexperienced as a presenter and it shows. He is a nervous and awkward and his timing is off. With time he will get the hang of it of course, but time is not something Top Gear fans are willing to give it seems.

I'm finding LeBlanc is relaxing into the role and getting better each time. He's much more comfortable in front of the camera and I like his dry delivery. I hope he's kept on. I do think however if they are going to persist in the chat show segment they need someone who can do interviews and is funny and can do cars too. Not an easy ask I guess...

Deagol wrote: »
    I'm finding LeBlanc is relaxing into the role and getting better each time. He's much more comfortable in front of the camera and I like his dry delivery. I hope he's kept on. I do think however if they are going to persist in the chat show segment they need someone who can do interviews and is funny and can do cars too. Not an easy ask I guess...

Yea he seems to get better each week. I like him when they do the out of the studio stuff. He is more himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The original 3 were not great when they first started out. Years of experience and people grew with them.
    They may not have been great but they sure felt far more cohesive than this team and that's before you add Chris "Sugar Rush" Evans to the mix.

Also keep in mind:
    Evans, who had signed a three-year deal to present and oversee the show, was its executive producer in all but name.
    So if you produce the lowest showing Top Gear over 20 years with dropping numbers there's an accountability factor there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I just heard the good news.
    Vlcsnap-2014-11-18-15h14m53s230.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Well that didn't last long :P said it at the time Evans was a disastrous appointment , he's like a kid on a sugar rush running around the place and shouting , just made the whole thing kinda goofy which was never what top gear was about

:confused: wha...........thats exactly what its about, middle aged men acting the twat

Chris Harris has done some good interviews in the past but they tend to be more on the technical side. It may be hard to stop him getting to bogged down in details that most people don't care about.

Nody wrote: »
    They may not have been great but they sure felt far more cohesive than this team and that's before you add Chris "Sugar Rush" Evans to the mix.

Also keep in mind:
    So if you produce the lowest showing Top Gear over 20 years with dropping numbers there's an accountability factor there as well.

All that was going to happen regardless of who took over.

The originals were more cohesive because they became it. The show didn't have huge ratings when it first started. Years with the same crew and it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its the studio section/s that are by far away the worst - I recorded it mainly because of the football but it does mean being able to skip through SIARPC and the awkward standing about bits. Drop all that an just do self contained segments which mix solo and multi-presenter films.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

64503829.jpg

5999a54f08a61497a4334e023b096e81.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Can't see it ever really working with this bunch. I suppose it will work in that it will be something very different but it will still feel like a bad TG tribute act.

Harris is great, Reid is fine too. Le Blanc I thought was a bit wooden but he's growing into it and I thought his Porsche segment last night was the best car review on TG since the old crew left. Sabine Schmit isn't given anything to do or say bar the odd soundbyte to underline her Germanness. Eddie Jordan I think could be good but like Sabine is being deployed as a joke character.

Don't know which of them could take over from Evans as the main presenter, celebrity wrangler, etc. He was the closest to Clarkson at that job. Le Blanc would be the only option unless they get a new face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good riddance. I hope they don't replace him. There's enough there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He was a dreadful choice. I think they should scrap them all and start over as it seemed like they were Evans's picks anyway.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't think it's right to call the other presenters "Evans' choices". Evans was not the producer or showrunner, there was no way he alone could decide something that important. The lineup struck me as more of a committee decision, for better or for worse.

The Sun is saying that Matt is probably going to be sole Presenter. Back in the "good old days" the line between presenter and reporter was blurred: did we call Jeremy the presenter, and the other two reporters? Last season it was Matt & Chris introducing segments, with the other reporter/presentert popping in to discuss it afterwards.

My main wish for the next season is that they slim down the Sleb section - it's too long and is even more of a momentum-killer than in the old days. One person, quick interview & pimpage of whatever they're working on, drive the rallycross track, done. I'm not too bothered about the choice of presenter: the cars are the real stars of the show.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Advertisement