Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BQ or Bust!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ferris B wrote: »
    Was that you sporting black stockings along by wooden bridge about 12:30 ish.

Yes, that was me in Lidl's finest compression 'stockings'. Definitely below the knee though. I've worn them for a couple of sessions, couple of long runs. Can't say they make much difference but they feel... sexy. :p;)

Mon 23 May

Rest. A good day at the office (literally, not figuratively).

Tue 24 May

GA + strides 8x100 Total 11k (6.8m).

Felt creaky and sluggish at the beginning of this, Sunday's LR still in the legs. Considered ditching the strides but did them, not quite as hard as I normally would. Hot day. Started to feel better in the second half of this and finished strongly with a km at MP. Which I shouldn't have done on an easy run but I there ya go.

WTD: 11k (7m)
    MTD: 231 (143)
    YTD: 1,321 (821)

Actually I should probably ditch the compression socks. Gateway drug to running tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Murph_D wrote:
    Actually I should probably ditch the compression socks. Gateway drug to running tights.

It depends on whether or not you'd wear shorts over tights. Though I gather that's a lot like the 'over or under toilet roll' question!

It depends on whether or not you'd wear shorts over tights. Though I gather that's a lot like the 'over or under toilet roll' question!

The what now? :confused:

• Advertisement

Wed 25 May

VO2Max 3x1600 @ 5k pace (~5 mins active recovery).

Ferris was doing the same session so we arranged to meet up in St. Anne’s Park. FBOT joined us and in typical fashion laid down a blistering pace for us to follow. He says it was only his 10 mile pace and he was pretty much out of sight for most of the reps (or would have been if we weren’t running loops). I just tried to keep Ferris in sight and followed the lads around. Found this tough on a cool enough evening so can’t blame the weather. A couple of miles warmup and cooldown brought the total to 12.7k (7.9m).

Splits: 6:43 6:50 6:54

Didn’t hit the suggested 5k pace for much if any of this. unfortunately. (Did this session last month pre-Boston on the track at about 10 secs faster per rep, which is probably pretty comparable, so struggled that time too).

WTD: 24k (15m)
    MTD: 243 (151)
    YTD: 1,334 (829)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Wed 25 May

VO2Max 3x1600 @ 5k pace (~5 mins active recovery).

Ferris was doing the same session so we arranged to meet up in St. Anne’s Park. FBOT joined us and in typical fashion laid down a blistering pace for us to follow. He says it was only his 10 mile pace and he was pretty much out of sight for most of the reps (or would have been if we weren’t running loops). I just tried to keep Ferris in sight and followed the lads around. Found this tough on a cool enough evening so can’t blame the weather. A couple of miles warmup and cooldown brought the total to 12.7k (7.9m).

Splits: 6:43 6:50 6:54

Didn’t hit the suggested 5k pace for much if any of this. unfortunately. (Did this session last month pre-Boston on the track at about 10 secs faster per rep, which is probably pretty comparable, so struggled that time too).

WTD: 24k (15m)
    MTD: 243 (151)
    YTD: 1,334 (829)

I have done that session a few times at this stage during marathon cycles and I am not sure I have ever hit 5k pace. I think it is all about putting in a decent effort and getting a good blow out before the final run in and you achieved that. It is supposed to be tough.

I have to say I am a little bit jealous I wish I was in as good shape as you are and getting another crack off my spring cycle. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's a tough session :eek:. Especially after a 5K at the weekend. Were yis on the newly tarmaced paths ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Didn't you race flat out at the weekend? Woulda thought that'd stil be in the legs?

Will crossing all fingers & toes for a super run on Monday week

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's a tough session :eek:. Especially after a 5K at the weekend. Were yis on the newly tarmaced paths ?

We were down at the end of the Avenue using the loop near the playground and I did mine on the grass:)

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    Didn't you race flat out at the weekend? Woulda thought that'd stil be in the legs?

He only raced the first mile flat out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I did mine on the grass:)

I approve. You may proceed. :p

I have done that session a few times at this stage during marathon cycles and I am not sure I have ever hit 5k pace. I think it is all about putting in a decent effort and getting a good blow out before the final run in and you achieved that. It is supposed to be tough.

I have to say I am a little bit jealous I wish I was in as good shape as you are and getting another crack off my spring cycle. Keep up the good work.

Tough it was. Got that part right! Yeah I'm lucky to be getting another crack at it, it's a pity you won't get a chance yourself. And remember, you'll always have that place near Shanagarry. ;)
    Bungy Girl wrote: »

I was trying to avoid and was doing well until Ferris made me run on them during the cooldown. :o

I think it's more the 20 miler over Howth that's still in the legs. :D

He only raced the first mile flat out :D

Ha ha. I have to concur, smartass. :pac:

Actually the session was supposed to be tomorrow night so probably a little underrecovered alright. But it was worth it for the excellent company. ;)

I think it's more the 20 miler over Howth that's still in the legs. :D

Fock yeah, forgot about that deviation from the plan. Probably time to dig out the smoking jacket for a few days ;)

Fock yeah, forgot about that deviation from the plan. Probably time to dig out the smoking jacket for a few days ;)

It was only an extra 3 miles though, but not a great idea to make deviations on the fly, only 2 weeks before race. I stand admonished. ;)

only 3 miles, + the 1 mile flat out in the 5k race (:p), plus doing the session one day earlier than on the plan... what's going on in here :eek:

I actually ran 10 miles less than what was on the plan last week, and the tune-up race was shorter than suggested. So nothing much to see here really. ;)

Thu 26 May

Rest. Forgot it was Pilates day, no gear so no class.

Fri 27 May

More rest.

Sat 28 May

Recovery + strides (8x100).

A fine morning on the seafront. Bumped into Duanington in St. Anne’s park and we jogged to the magnificent tree sculpture before parting ways. Strides on homeward half, starting halfway up The Avenue so most of them were downhill for a change. :P

Sun 29 May

MLR 20.2k @ 5:27 (12.5m @ 8:47).

Hooked up again with the ever-willing FBOT for 12+ easy miles along the Tolka and into the Phoenix Park and back via the Canal. Took it nice and handy with plenty of conversation. Another magnificent morning to be out in the world, for the final MLR of the season.

As I was remarking to DD yesterday, haven't been feeling particularly full of beans for a while. This marathon training doesn't get much easier with time - less intimidating, maybe, but still hard on the system. Felt very strong in last few weeks pre-Boston but the turnover period has been quite lethargic. I'd imagine that's probably not unusual and hopefully the plan will work and the stars will align at the right moment. :p

WTD: 54k (34m)
    MTD: 274 (170)
    YTD: 1,364 (848)

It's all about making sure you get plenty of rest to freshen you up this week, D. Set yourself a curfew for the week and catch up on any lost sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

It's all about making sure you get plenty of rest to freshen you up this week, D. Set yourself a curfew for the week and catch up on any lost sleep.

Now you've been told Murph !!

• Advertisement

Mon 30 May

Rest.

Tue 31 May

Recovery 10k. Another scorcher. Thoughts are naturally turning to the weather next week. Hopefully it will cool. Total for May: 284k (176m).

Wed 1 Jun

“Dress rehearsal” with 2m @ MP. Total 10.7k (6.7m). Avg. HRR 67% (Peak 92%)

Didn’t bother with the dress rehearsal part as I always wear the same gear for races anyway so it’s all well broken in at this stage, and still fits. :p Over to St. Anne’s where I met up with FBOT and yaboya1. After an easy jog around the perimeter they sportingly joined for the 2 MP miles, although FBOT had to dash off in the middle to return a mobile phone we’d found on the trails to its owner. The couple of MP miles felt as tough as they usually do, not helped by the very warm conditions. My pace (and therefore HR) was all over the place too. Not very confidence inspiring, but it never is at this stage of the game. Finished off with another couple of miles before raiding the free water at the coffee shop. while salivating over the pancake menu. Maybe on Saturday to celebrate Mrs. Mc’s 50th. ;)

Thu 2 Jun

Pilates session, outdoors on an astroturf pitch to make the most of the weather. Haven’t been for a few weeks so a bit creaky. Closed out the lunch break with a one-mile lap of Albert College Park.

WTD: 22k (14m)
    MTD: 12 (8)
    YTD: 1,387 (862)

Maybe on Saturday to celebrate Mrs. Mc’s 50th. ;)

Isn't aquinn in enough trouble already?! :D:D:D

I'm getting in early, the very best of luck on Monday D, I can't stalk as I'm marshaling at the 'other' marathon :rolleyes: I really really really hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Isn't aquinn in enough trouble already?! :D:D:D

I'm getting in early, the very best of luck on Monday D, I can't stalk as I'm marshaling at the 'other' marathon :rolleyes: I really really really hope it goes well for you.

Yes she is. It's all AULDBOT's fault.

So sorry Mrs Mc.

I really should chase up the name change of Monday's event.

Did you take vitamins as ordered today D?

aquinn wrote: »
    Did you take vitamins as ordered today D?

I did. No excuses now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

All the very best on Monday D. Nothing to hold you back so savour the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Best of luck D,

Cork is a great event and it should be a lot cooler than Boston - also IIRC you've run it before and like the course, so it's all nicely set up for a great day out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck D, though it looks like you've brought the weather from Boston with you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck D - you've lots of good work under the belt, including that loooong run in Boston ! Take it easy over the next couple of days and give it socks on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck on Monday - try to distract yourself for the next few days. Hope it all goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck on Monday, and I hope the cloudy forecasts will win over the sunnier ones!

Advertisement