Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything in sterling [Brexit discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Only thing is retailers in UK will need to raise their prices if it's costing them more to import their goods so prices will adjust

Yeah basically for good deals you need to look either at a very sharp drop (whereby products you are buying are already in UK stocks and prices likely won't be adjusted), or product for which the price is more or less set during their whole lifespan (for example even if there was a 15-20% drop in the next few weeks Apple is unlikely to adjust the price of current generation iPhones, they will wait for the next generation).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You can also buy vouchers for shops online that you use frequently like amazon or favourite clothes shops. That way you take advantage of the rate but can wait until you need something before you use it.

You can also buy vouchers for shops online that you use frequently like amazon or favourite clothes shops. That way you take advantage of the rate but can wait until you need something before you use it.

Buying vouchers is that same as buying pounds except less flexible because your money has to be spend in a particular shop. Why doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Bob24 wrote: »
    Buying vouchers is that same as buying pounds except less flexible because your money has to be spend in a particular shop. Why doing that?

i agree vouchers are a poor idea, better saving waiting for sales or watch camelcamel for example

spend money now in case you might want something in 6 months seems odd, the exchange rate could get better for us like it was 7 years €1 for £1
    doubtful but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bob24 wrote: »
    I don't think buying vouchers is a good idea -but if right now I was offered a £20 note or a £20 voucher for amazon.co.uk I would take the voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

styron wrote: »
    Don't forget to factor in the forthcoming 23% import VAT & €7 handling charge for Amazon UK and all UK orders over €26 ... being outside the EU. Might be a little logjam in the making ... that and NI customs declarations at the Border, bye bye Parcel Motel too ... back to the future!

We already pay the 23% VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Where the hell is the Bargain Alert?

Thread been let run by mods who seem to have no interest in forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They've taken the weekend off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Theirs an unfollow button down the bottom there, it'd be great if ye'd stop bumping the thread with you're whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

We pay Price ÷ UK VAT x Irish VAT*. Importing would be (Price + Shipping) x Irish VAT.

However, this is wild assumptions with fear and uncertainty. Just because a country exits a political alliance doesn't mean that all trade agreements will be axed as well.

Edit: * i.e., price ÷ 1.2 x 1.23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

styron wrote: »
    Absolutely, .FR, .ES & .IT too ... no supersaver delivery, with high & rising transport costs through a "trade hostile" UK. Not a bright future for retail here either, we've been able to piggyback off UK supply chains ... eye opening prospects.

The Supersaver reflects a deal between Amazon and An Post. the latter could simply do a similar deal with .de or .fr and provide something the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Amazon will have something sorted for ie, only issue is uk plugs stock being primarily in uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Big Lar

TheDriver wrote: »
    Amazon will have something sorted for ie, only issue is uk plugs stock being primarily in uk

Bah! leave them have their 3 pin, we should switch to 2 pin and support our European partners :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This thread was left here to allow the Brexit discussion continue in one thread rather than over running others like the amazon thread. A lot of posts were moved from it to here in the interest of the rest of the forum.

You could have sent a PM to a mod if you were so concerned rather than posting on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

Monotype wrote: »
    We pay Price ÷ UK VAT x Irish VAT*. Importing would be (Price + Shipping) x Irish VAT.

However, this is wild assumptions with fear and uncertainty. Just because a country exits a political alliance doesn't mean that all trade agreements will be axed as well.

Edit: * i.e., price ÷ 1.2 x 1.23

Think about the customs on purchases from the US and why all Chinese shipments are classed as being worth €20.

That's the situation when the Brexit is finalised. UK will be non EU and a new trade agreement will be required,which will be a huge deal and not a simple process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Davy wrote: »

You could have sent a PM to a mod if you were so concerned rather than posting on thread.
    I did send a PM/reprt a post, it was either ignored or not read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

Davy wrote: »
    This thread was left here to allow the Brexit discussion continue in one thread rather than over running others like the amazon thread. A lot of posts were moved from it to here in the interest of the rest of the forum.

What a lovely response to a valid point he was making.

i agree vouchers are a poor idea, better saving waiting for sales or watch camelcamel for example

spend money now in case you might want something in 6 months seems odd, the exchange rate could get better for us like it was 7 years €1 for £1
    doubtful but you never know

I don't think you're thinking it through.
    This whole thread is devoted to taking advantage of current currency rates, not speculating on future rates or discussing the possibility of future sales.
    Buying stuff you don't need now makes no sense, sitting around hoping it gets better if you think it's a good rate atm makes no sense, securing money at this rate,if you think it's good, does make sense. There are only one or two ways to do that for the average person, vouchers is one.

Of course it only makes sense if you know for absolute sure you'll shop in a particular shop in the coming year. I know I'll use amazon a good 10 times this year, similarly I'll definitely buy in a particular clothes shop once or twice. It makes sense for me.

The euro has not achieved full parity with the pound in the last 7 years and there's no indication things are going that way. It's up to everyone to decide what rate the think it's worth buying at, it's speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Thoughts on buying from apple uk?

With the sterling differences its currently looking at a €700 saving to buy a maxed out iMac from apple uk store, get it ship to parcel motel and then to the republic. Any flaws to my plan?

damo86 wrote: »

With the sterling differences its currently looking at a €700 saving to buy a maxed out iMac from apple uk store, get it ship to parcel motel and then to the republic. Any flaws to my plan?

Wow, is that because the imac is much cheaper in the UK?
    The saving couldn't be down to sterling alone.

The flaw could be using PM , you're not insured for items as expensive as an imac so it would be a little risky. Itll probably work out fine but you'd need to factor that in to the decision.

• Advertisement

The flaw could be using PM , you're not insured for items as expensive as an imac so it would be a little risky. Itll probably work out fine but you'd need to factor that in to the decision.
    You can pay extra for higher insurance.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

I would be checking the true rates mastercard/visa/paypal are giving today, this is guessing you might have just used xe.com

Just testing there xe have

1.00 GBP = 1.19906 EUR
    British Pound ↔ Euro
    1 GBP = 1.19906 EUR 1 EUR = 0.833985 GBP

amazon's own rate (which is not as bad as it used to be).

Order Total:GBP 125.82
    Payment Total: EUR 158,68

which is 1.261 vs 1.199 on xe. So about a 5% difference.

Currencies fluctuate every day. The rate shown applies to transactions processed by Visa Europe on 27 June 2016 with a currency conversion fee of 1.50%

100.00 Pound Sterling = 126.33 Euro

1 Pound Sterling = 1.2632893000 Euro

- Or -

1 Euro = 0.7915843188 Pound Sterling

Worth noting there's no improvement in the rate on visa cards just yet. Worth checking that before you buy always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Wow, is that because the imac is much cheaper in the UK?
    The saving couldn't be down to sterling alone.

You can pay for extra insurance cover with PM, €3.50 for up to €500 cover and €7.00 for up to €1000
    Beaten to it!

You should double-check, but I am pretty sure the warranty is international, so no major flaw in my opinion (don't forget to get extra liability insurance from Parcel Motel in case they lose/damage it).

Minor inconveniences I can think of:
    - the box might be larger from the Parcel Motel max dimension,s so yuo might have to collect at their depot or pay for courier delivery
    - if for any reason you want return the product (whether you change your mind or there is a defect with it and you want a replacement), you will have to either provide a pick-up address in the UK or negotiate with Apple for them to pick it up in the ROI even though it was a UK order (then might do it but not guaranteed)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rubadub wrote: »
    You can pay extra for higher insurance.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

I would be checking the true rates mastercard/visa/paypal are giving today, this is guessing you might have just used xe.com
    which only covers up to €1500, that only covers the 21.5" iMac models barely. To get the €700 saving you need to go into 27" iMac crazy land :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Would Apple accept an Irish credit card for a purchase on their UK store?

which only covers up to €1500, that only covers the 21.5" iMac models barely.
    ah right, I was reading it as costing €700 I see now thats the saving, I had no idea what the product should cost.

Maybe parcel wizard or addresspal have higher insurance options.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

JDxtra wrote: »
    Yes, they do the delivery address just has to be a UK based address, I bought the Apple Watch though the UK store last year and used parcel motel. I didn't save any money I just wanted to be first :).

JDxtra wrote: »

Unless this has changed recently, they should. Plenty of people on boards have ordered iPhones or Apple Watches through the UK store to get them before the Irish release dates. As far as I remember they officially require a UK billign address but the system doesn't actually prevent the transaction if the address you enter is not really in the UK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

cheers for the replies Guys.

Yeah just used xe for now for the exchange rate, waiting for the credit cards to follow suit..if that ever happens!

Its quite a difference in price, it surprised me!

I got the dimensions for the box and its ok with parcel motel, its in the €7 bracket but yeah, will need the extra insurance.

Some figures for you if you're interested:

Ireland:
    27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display Item Price:€3,719.00 Quantity (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display) Line Price:€3,719.00
    Remove from bag(27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display) Part number: Z0SC
    Dispatched: 2-4 business days
    Hardware
    4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
    3TB Fusion Drive
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    Magic Trackpad 2
    Magic Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
    Accessory Kit
    Software
    Pages, Numbers, Keynote
    Photos, iMovie, GarageBand
    OS X
    Show Gift Options (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display)
    Total cost breakdown
    Bag Subtotal €3,719.00
    Free Delivery €0.00
    Total €3,719.00
    Includes VAT of €695.42

UK:
    27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display Item Price:£2,533.00 Quantity (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display) Line Price:£2,533.00
    Remove from bag(27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display) Part number: Z0SC
    Delivers: 1 Jul - 5 Jul - Free
    Hardware
    4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
    16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
    3TB Fusion Drive
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
    Magic Trackpad 2
    Magic Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
    Accessory Kit
    Software
    Pages, Numbers, Keynote
    Photos, iMovie, GarageBand
    OS X
    Show Gift Options (27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display)
    Total cost breakdown
    Bag Subtotal £2,533.00
    Free Delivery £0.00
    Total £2,533.00
    Includes VAT of £422.17
    From £121.58 per month for up to 24 months1

3039.55 Euro (Google)

On the permanent tsb site, its coming out as: 3,016.55

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement