Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The CIMA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I hadn't really thought about it, but I suppose I do!

Books and exam practise kits. Kaplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KaseLieberKase

uberwolf wrote: »
    I hadn't really thought about it, but I suppose I do!

Books and exam practise kits. Kaplan.

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DH2016

Hi there,

Was considering starting CIMA & as I have not much background in accounting, can anyone give me some quick advice about what it is like? I will be starting Stage 1 - 5 exams but I'm just looking for some feedback, e.g.:

I am working full time btw - does it take up much time outside of work?, is there course work involved or just constant self learning study? Can I start whenever? How long before I could start taking the exams do I have? Do I have a time limit in which to complete them?

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated - as Ive mentioned before, totally new to this, dont know much about it etc.

Thanks a million

DH2016 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Was considering starting CIMA & as I have not much background in accounting, can anyone give me some quick advice about what it is like? I will be starting Stage 1 - 5 exams but I'm just looking for some feedback, e.g.:

I am working full time btw - does it take up much time outside of work?, is there course work involved or just constant self learning study? Can I start whenever? How long before I could start taking the exams do I have? Do I have a time limit in which to complete them?

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated - as Ive mentioned before, totally new to this, dont know much about it etc.

Thanks a million

Pretty similar background to yourself. I passed my first exam last Saturday and can say for the cert level that an hour per night for 2/3 weeks will cover you to pass.

I found self-learning to be the best purely because I'm a cheap skate and the books explain it quite clearly. This may change after the cert level but I'll wait and see. Start whenever you like, sit the exams in any order and whenever you want (subject to exam centre opening times). There are 4 exams to sit unless you opt not to take the exemption for C03 (maths).

I've got a full exam kit for C05 (Fundamentals of ethics, corporate governance and business law) for sale by the way and will be selling the rest of my study texts as I pass them.

Pretty similar background to yourself. I passed my first exam last Saturday and can say for the cert level that an hour per night for 2/3 weeks will cover you to pass.

I found self-learning to be the best purely because I'm a cheap skate and the books explain it quite clearly. This may change after the cert level but I'll wait and see. Start whenever you like, sit the exams in any order and whenever you want (subject to exam centre opening times). There are 4 exams to sit unless you opt not to take the exemption for C03 (maths).

I've got a full exam kit for C05 (Fundamentals of ethics, corporate governance and business law) for sale by the way and will be selling the rest of my study texts as I pass them.

Thanks a million - thats great.

So your saying if I was to start now - completion of all 5 cert level exams should take me approx 5-6 months?

Ive been reading a few things & the general consensus is that one cert level is completed, E1, P1 etc becomes a total step up and more time is needed.

The fear I have is once I complete the cert level that the step up will be too much and I'll not continue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Yeah big step up but they are OK. Does require time and effort though. Cert level and pretty simple. Others are about the level of BA/MA compared to leaving cert for cert.

bmwguy wrote: »
    Yeah big step up but they are OK. Does require time and effort though. Cert level and pretty simple. Others are about the level of BA/MA compared to leaving cert for cert.

Thanks a mil.

How long per exam would you estimate you need beforehand before taking it?

certs? I did the 5 in about 4 months, but I had some relevant work experience to work from. You'll know yourself once you're into them, and that's the beauty of the schedule on demand - you have exactly as much time as you need.

Hi again,

Ive got exemptions from stage 1 - first 5 exams.

I'm considering now going ahead starting E1 etc.

Fees wise...

How much does it cost to apply the exemptions?
    How much do you think Id be paying for study for each exam?
    How much is it to do each exam?

And one final question...

How long do you think I need study wise for each exam beforehand?

Thanks a mil

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would anyone have any study materials and/or books for CPA Formation 1 and 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭imalwayshappy

Hi All,

Quick question re the CIMA exams. My degree is in accountancy which results in getting a number of exemptions (all the c papers E1,P1,F1,P2,F2). The problem is I finished college 9 years ago and I have most likely forgotten most of the knowledge as I have been working in banking. My question is am I better starting from scratch or would I be able to get through the exams without the above knowledge? Essentially on the final paper/case study questions am I going to be lost sea?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

Has anyone sat the management case study in the new format? I have F2 to get through this month hopefully and wondering whether that would leave enough time to sit the August case study. Would love to get it out of the way asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ryan987

Hi All,

Quick question re the CIMA exams. My degree is in accountancy which results in getting a number of exemptions (all the c papers E1,P1,F1,P2,F2). The problem is I finished college 9 years ago and I have most likely forgotten most of the knowledge as I have been working in banking. My question is am I better starting from scratch or would I be able to get through the exams without the above knowledge? Essentially on the final paper/case study questions am I going to be lost sea?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Did you get any information on this I am in a similar situation myself finished college 7 years and thinking of going back studying professional exams, I am considering between CIMA and ACCA and interested in any information on courses for CIMA and how long people studied per exam in the new CIMA syllabus

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

Ryan987 wrote: »
    Did you get any information on this I am in a similar situation myself finished college 7 years and thinking of going back studying professional exams, I am considering between CIMA and ACCA and interested in any information on courses for CIMA and how long people studied per exam in the new CIMA syllabus

Hi Lads I can help you out there. I was exempt from F1 and P1 and did E1 before the change to the new system. E2 is pretty easy, it's a very general business subject. I have a set of course notes I can email if you want to PM me. I'm pretty sure you'll be exempt from the case study, when you have 2 exemptions at a level, not certain on that though.

The F set of exams is tough when you've forgotten a lot of the college material. I would recommend tuition for them. I think it's defiantly worth doing them when you've relatively few exams to get the qualification.

Also if anyone has F2 material they can email me please PM me :)

Just finished the cert level there yesterday.

If anyone has any questions on it feel free to ask. Prior to this I had essentialy no accounting knowledge so if you're in the same boat I can definitely help out.

I have the study text, revision questions, flashcards and notes for C04 and C05 as well as the study texts and revision questions for C01 and C02. if anyone is interested I will sell the full set for €120.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Naomi04

Hi,
    Does anyone know of any exam centers near Waterford where I can sit my exams. The exam center (Evolve in Dungarvan) I have been doing exams does not do Cima anymore. The nearest PearsonVue center is in Naas or Cork, both a bit of a hike on the morning of an exam.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Have any CIMA members here received an email re CPD assessment?

Have to be honest, this is something I've neglected and I'm now slightly concerned. I was always surprised that we were never required to log our CPD hours annually.

Just wondering am I on my own or is there others in the same boat?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 birebella43

New here glad to join this forum. Hey everybody

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

New here glad to join this forum. Hey everybody

Welcome! If you need any advice here just shout, everyone here are very knowledgeable so you'll be in safe hands. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Anyone get their case study results ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 colinmis

Hi All,

Just signed up to CIMA and excited to get going!

Do you know if the study texts change much year on year? Am i safe to buy 2nd hand books on Amazon or will they be obsolete and should i just buy new books off Kaplan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Hi. Thinking of starting Cima. Trying to find out exemptions. But have been working in finance 10 years. Starting with limited knowledge of process but being good with numbers and exams generally. Is starting exams in May realistic? Can I cherry pick a few to begin? Or is there somewhere I can get a good breakdown of the process.

I've seen there's 9 exams and two projects? Providing you qualify for entry. Do you have to sit a fixed amount in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Celtic Runner

Hi Anyone could advise a college in Dublin still giving classes for CIMA? I just hate the online thing it s not working for me. I passed 7 exams so far, 2 of them I failed once and was after the only online classes I ve taken so far...
    Cheers

Hi Anyone could advise a college in Dublin still giving classes for CIMA? I just hate the online thing it s not working for me. I passed 7 exams so far, 2 of them I failed once and was after the only online classes I ve taken so far...
    Cheers

I've lost count of how many names this place has had, but http://accountancyschool.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ArdLix11

Hi,
        I've just Passed the C03 in Certificate(did it for experience) and am now doing Professional exams. Was looking at starting off with E1 as it seems to have highest pass rate. Attending lectures is not really an option so I'm looking at Cima Study. CIMA Study Prime is approx. €80 dearer than CIMA Study at €200. Is it worth paying the extra for Prime or is it all the same? Or if someone knows a better way to Study I'd appreciate the input. Approx. how long should each of the Operational exams take to pass. Thanks for the help.

ArdLix11 wrote: »
    Hi,
        I've just Passed the C03 in Certificate(did it for experience) and am now doing Professional exams. Was looking at starting off with E1 as it seems to have highest pass rate. Attending lectures is not really an option so I'm looking at Cima Study. CIMA Study Prime is approx. €80 dearer than CIMA Study at €200. Is it worth paying the extra for Prime or is it all the same? Or if someone knows a better way to Study I'd appreciate the input. Approx. how long should each of the Operational exams take to pass. Thanks for the help.
    I'd be interested in any views on this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I am exempt from BA3 and 4 so required to do 1 and 2 to complete the cert.

I'm thinking of using Cimastudy due to cost.

Has anyone used Cima study and Cima study prime ?

Is the prime version worth the extra money?

Thanking you in advance

Same question pops up so this is as much a bump as anything. Doing the certificate and trying to decide between Cima study and Cima prime. Any advice as not much on the internet so far in my searches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

You should be able to complete the Certificate without Paying for CIMA Study or CIMA prime just buy the team to books and do plenty of questions.

Astranti are very good also check out the CIMA Student a current student who maintains a wordpress site also on Facebook/Twitter contains loads of useful info.

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    You should be able to complete the Certificate without Paying for CIMA Study or CIMA prime just buy the team to books and do plenty of questions.

Astranti are very good also check out the CIMA Student a current student who maintains a wordpress site also on Facebook/Twitter contains loads of useful info.

Considering Ill get refunded cost it's as well just get the study one for the resources. Thanks for reply. Will check out the recommendations. Just one clarification, what's "the team to books"?

Advertisement