Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stanford case - **MOD WARNING POST 46**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

He and his family will live to regret how they've weaseled their way out of accepting his responsibility for what he's done. Maybe if he'd done that, served a "proper" sentence he could start on the road back to rehabilitating himself and trying to return to normality. He and his family have ensured he may well serve little to no time in prison but the rest of the world are aware of his actions, both before during and after the crime and shine the light on what type of human he is.

Banned from his University, banned by USA swimming from competing in any of their sanctioned competitions, and he can't compete in their Olympic trials.

Hopefully he'll recieve the metaphorical death by a thousand cuts. It will be well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

A lot of good sense talked in this thread. However, on the point of the father's enthusiasm for getting his son out of jail time: US prisons remain hideous places run entirely for profit where rape and violence are tacitly acknowledged as justice served. No kid is walking out after a few years as a convicted rapist with his life intact. Any father, ANY father, would want to spare their child that, no matter what their crime or what ****e they had to spout to do it.

This doesn't mean he didn't deserve a proper sentence irrespective of failures in the prison system, of course he did, but I find it hard to fault anyone's efforts to avoid it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Tordelback wrote: »
    A lot of good sense talked in this thread. However, on the point of the father's enthusiasm for getting his son out of jail time: US prisons remain hideous places run entirely for profit where rape and violence are tacitly acknowledged as justice served. No kid is walking out after a few years as a convicted rapist with his life intact. Any father, ANY father, would want to spare their child that, no matter what their crime or what ****e they had to spout to do it.

This doesn't mean he didn't deserve a proper sentence irrespective of failures in the prison system, of course he did, but I find it hard to fault anyone's efforts to avoid it.
    I don't think people are disputing that the father shouldn't fight for his kid - any father would stand by their child.

My issue with the whole thing is HOW he's standing up for his kid. The way that he called it 20 minutes of action. How, not once he mentioned the impact on the victim - solely saying how badly his son is suffering in all of this. Had he released a more tactful statement, such as: "I am appalled at the crime committed by my son. As a family we wholeheartedly apologise for the hurt and pain that was inflicted on the victim. However my son is just a kid, and he is showing great potential as a swimmer. We accept that he deserves punishment for his deplorable actions, however we would appeal the severity of the punishment" - perhaps there would be a more sympathetic response.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

sullivlo wrote: »
    I don't think people are disputing that the father shouldn't fight for his kid - any father would stand by their child.

My issue with the whole thing is HOW he's standing up for his kid. The way that he called it 20 minutes of action. How, not once he mentioned the impact on the victim - solely saying how badly his son is suffering in all of this. Had he released a more tactful statement, such as: "I am appalled at the crime committed by my son. As a family we wholeheartedly apologise for the hurt and pain that was inflicted on the victim. However my son is just a kid, and he is showing great potential as a swimmer. We accept that he deserves punishment for his deplorable actions, however we would appeal the severity of the punishment" - perhaps there would be a more sympathetic response.

Yeah, very well put Sullivlo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

http://huff.to/1rgDIvj

No longer eligible to swim for swim America. No Olympics for Brock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

sullivlo wrote: »
    http://huff.to/1rgDIvj

No longer eligible to swim for swim America. No Olympics for Brock.

Adam Johnson was convicted couple of months ago of grooming minor, sexual activity with minor etc... Sunderland CEO resigned because the club did not dismiss him straight away after the actions of the player were known and they waited till the end of the trial. Her actions were heavily criticized and rightly so.

Swim America needed conviction, sentencing, weeks of traditional media outrage, social media outrage , celebrity and political statements to realize his actions were not exactly compatible with their stance on sexual violence. If he would have good prospects for medals they would probably forget to make up their mind.

Edit: just to add, I know his membership lapsed in 2014 but it would be refreshing for sporting organization to make up their mind before they are forced into it.

And another thing, how many remember that Mike Tyson is not just a crazy guy with the tiger from Hangover but convicted rapist too? His career was not over because he raped someone but because he bit off someone's ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Another rape-apologist letter, this time from Brock's mum.
    In her letter to the judge, Carleen Turner insisted her son “has lived an exemplary life” and was on a path to success at Stanford, all of which she said has been “shattered” by the guilty verdicts. Carleen Turner's letter does not mention the victim.

“He has never been in trouble, never even had a demerit in high school, he studied, swam worked hard,” the mother wrote. “His dreams have been shattered by this. No NCAA Championships. No Stanford degree, no swimming in the Olympics (and I honestly know he would have made a future team), no medical school, no becoming an Orthopedic surgeon.”

Carleen Turner also described how the trial has “destroyed” her family.

“I know what a broken heart feels like. It is a physical pain that starts just below the collar bone and extends to below the rib cage, it is a crushing and heavy ache that feels like I am being squeezed. This feeling has not left my body since the verdict. This verdict has destroyed us,” she wrote.

Carleen Turner said she and her husband are a “working middle-class couple with Midwestern values” who had recently downsized their house to ease their financial burdens. Her two other children have collectively accumulated $150,000 in student loan debt, Carleen Turner said, because she and her husband were unable to pay for college tuition. Brock Turner had been awarded a 60 percent swimming scholarship by Stanford University prior to his expulsion over the sexual assault case.

“There have been many references to Brock being from a wealthy, privileged background and he thinks he is entitled. Your honor, this could not be further from the truth,” Carleen Turner said in her statement to the judge. “We do NOT come from money, rather the opposite.”

YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT THE VICTIM? WHAT ABOUT THE WOMAN WHOSE WHOLE LIFE HAS BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN WHEN SHE WOKE UP BROKEN IN HOSPITAL HAVING ENDURED A HORRIFIC VIOLATION AND SEXUAL ASSAULT JUST BECAUSE SHE DECIDED TO GO OUT AND HAVE A FEW DRINKS?

Not a single mention or reference to her.

I can understand a parent's instinct to protect, and you can be sure if I found myself in hot water my parents would go to the ends of the earth to defend my reputation and salvage what they could of my life and livelihood.

But they would never lie or misrepresent the truth for me. They would never brush a serious crime I had committed and the victims I had hurt under the carpet for the sake of these comparatively banal and meaningless things that are so less important than the respect and dignity that we all deserve as human beings. Because I was not raised to not take responsibility for my actions. I was not raised to violate other human beings and then hide behind my academic credentials. Because that is BAD PARENTING.

And it helps to build a fuller picture of this guy, whose parents "risked so much" to have this picture-perfect American-dream-style "successful" son - who probably thrived on knowing he would be an Olympic athlete, an Ivy League graduate, a doctor, and fcuk being an actual upstanding human being who treats others with respect, because where's the praise and the adulation for that?

Bad bloody parenting. I hope through all the bad publicity and negative attention and no doubt years of judgement and doors slamming in their faces that lies ahead, that they learn something more fundamental about life than Olympic swimming meets and prestigious college scholarships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

It is just stomach-churningly repulsive to read the parents' pathetic, selfish, narcissistic, inhumane and terrifyingly misjudged defence of their son, the felon convicted of three counts of sexual assault of an unconscious woman.

It makes me so angry and so, so disappointed that these attitudes prevail. The only positive that can be said for their words is that each paragraph that comes out of their mouths goes further to inadvertently explain why their son is the way he is.

Beks got it spot on with her assessment of this illusion of the 'American Dream'- who cares if your son rapes an unconscious human being with a foreign object, as long as it doesn't affect his glittering, self-obsessed path to athletic glory, academic success and wealth.

Won't somebody please think of the rapists.

I think some posts are veering into general American bashing. I've never met the kind of American who thinks the achievement of the American Dream is more important than the achievement of human decency.

What the parents are displaying is absolute denial and they're clinging to whatever bright points in his expected future paints him in the best light, it's not necessarily indicative of a cancerous attitude prevalent in all middle-class American families; most Americans are decent and kind people, these parents are just these parents.

On another point, while extremely prestigious, Stanford isn't an Ivy League school, it's the top Pac-12 school.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

It's so sad. It just once again shows that despite living in the 21th century, if you're a woman and got raped it's still somehow your fault. You drank alcohol, wore something that maybe, just maybe could see seen as sexy/revealing and if your attacker is a an "upstanding member of society" you can expect a life-sentence and your rapist 6 months.

Why is it that when a woman gets drunk, that is somehow seen as a contributing factor(maybe you shouldn't have gotten drunk) while for the man it's seen as an excuse(well, he was drunk, maybe he just didn't know that what he did at the time was commiting sexual assault.) Why is there one set of rules for her, and another for him? It's so strange: we have a society that's hellbend on sexualising women and our bodies but once a woman is a victim of rape we suddenly don't know what to do with her anymore, so will just blame her instead of her attacker...

This is why I don't drink alcohol, this is why I don't go out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    It's so sad. It just once again shows that despite living in the 21th century, if you're a woman and got raped it's still somehow your fault. You drank alcohol, wore something that maybe, just maybe could see seen as sexy/revealing and if your attacker is a an "upstanding member of society" you can expect a life-sentence and your rapist 6 months.

Why is it that when a woman gets drunk, that is somehow seen as a contributing factor(maybe you shouldn't have gotten drunk) while for the man it's seen as an excuse(well, he was drunk, maybe he just didn't know that what he did at the time was commiting sexual assault.) Why is there one set of rules for her, and another for him? It's so strange: we have a society that's hellbend on sexualising women and our bodies but once a woman is a victim of rape we suddenly don't know what to do with her anymore, so will just blame her instead of her attacker...

This is why I don't drink alcohol, this is why I don't go out.

I agree with you for the most part, but a lot of women go out with tits hanging out and complain about bad attention. They hang their tits out for all to see but when dodgy fellas approach, they are offended. There's a post here about a woman in her 30s falling out of a taxi with her arse on show.

Someone filmed it, put it up on facebook and she's raging about it.

Seems to me if you're staggering home with your bare ass out, it is YOUR problem.

I agree with you for the most part, but a lot of women go out with tits hanging out and complain about bad attention. They hang their tits out for all to see but when dodgy fellas approach, they are offended. There's a post here about a woman in her 30s falling out of a taxi with her arse on show.

Seems to me if you're staggering home with your bare ass out, it is YOUR problem.

Mod
    Dog man star - have a read of the charter before visiting tLL again. There is so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Two Tone

Either way, it does not make a person responsible for being raped. Not advisable behaviour but only the rapist is responsible for rape - they are perfectly capable of controlling themselves.

It's just so classy of the mother to say the trial has destroyed her family rather than what her son did (without which, there would have been no trial).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

She can go out in nothing but dental floss and a smile, and that's still not any kind of excuse for rape. Jesus Christ, thanks for making the rest of us look bad.

MOD

Have updated the OP to include a link to the charter. Please also note the mod warning contained below.

The usual charter applies. Please read it if you're not familiar with it.

There will be a ZERO TOLERANCE policy of "victim blaming" - any posts that imply that women bring rape on themselves will result in infractions. This is the first and final warning. Posters please report posts rather than feeding the trolls on thread.

-sullivlo

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I saw a tweet that got me thinking - I cant find it now, but it was basically that the alcohol a woman consumes is usually deemed a contributory factor to her getting raped, yet consumption of alcohol is typically presented as a mitigating factor for a rapists defence of his actions.

"Well, if she hadn't been drinking so much..."

"Poor lad. He cant be held responsible for what he did, he was drunk."

Depressingly we see variants of those statements all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sapphire wrote: »
    I saw a tweet that got me thinking - I cant find it now, but it was basically that the alcohol a woman consumes is usually deemed a contributory factor to her getting raped, yet consumption of alcohol is typically presented as a mitigating factor for a rapists defence of his actions.

"Well, if she hadn't been drinking so much..."

"Poor lad. He cant be held responsible for what he did, he was drunk."

I re-read the Stanford woman's statement and she spent some time discussing the role of alcohol, summing it up better than I ever could. Perhaps this should be in every student diary/orientation pack in America.
    You said, Being drunk I just couldn’t make the best decisions and neither could she.

Alcohol is not an excuse. Is it a factor? Yes. But alcohol was not the one who stripped me, fingered me, had my head dragging against the ground, with me almost fully naked. Having too much to drink was an amateur mistake that I admit to, but it is not criminal. Everyone in this room has had a night where they have regretted drinking too much, or knows someone close to them who has had a night where they have regretted drinking too much. Regretting drinking is not the same as regretting sexual assault. We were both drunk, the difference is I did not take off your pants and underwear, touch you inappropriately, and run away. That’s the difference.

You said, you are in the process of establishing a program for high school and college students in which you speak about your experience to “speak out against the college campus drinking culture and the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that.”

Campus drinking culture. That’s what we’re speaking out against? You think that’s what I’ve spent the past year fighting for? Not awareness about campus sexual assault, or rape, or learning to recognize consent. Campus drinking culture. Down with Jack Daniels. Down with Skyy Vodka. If you want talk to people about drinking go to an AA meeting. You realize, having a drinking problem is different than drinking and then forcefully trying to have sex with someone? Show men how to respect women, not how to drink less.

Drinking culture and the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that. Goes along with that, like a side effect, like fries on the side of your order. Where does promiscuity even come into play? I don’t see headlines that read, Brock Turner, Guilty of drinking too much and the sexual promiscuity that goes along with that. Campus Sexual Assault. There’s your first powerpoint slide. Rest assured, if you fail to fix the topic of your talk, I will follow you to every school you go to and give a follow up presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I know its not a situation to make light of but i thought this was great

http://youtu.be/oQbei5JGiT8

sammyjo90 wrote: »

All I could think about watching that was Mrs Doyle :pac:

Agree. It's great. It should be shared far and wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sammyjo90 wrote: »

I actually think that's a brilliant way to explain it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I was delighted with many aspects of this case, as someone who constantly aims to promote women's rights.

1) 2 men stopped the man. It is men saying to other men 'tnis is wrong' that will really move things forward. I have talked to many men about this over the years and one said something that is relevant here. He said 'if we are beaten up by another boy when we are small we are told it is our fault for being weak. This then feeds into us never wanting to be weak again and treating anyone weaker than us including women, with aggression.

That is the old style of masculinity amongst many men. When men such as in this case show being masculine can mean being protective and caring it will start to show other men they can be that way too.

2. She really was able to get across what it feels like to be sexually assaulted succinctly and clearly. The men that do this are not able to comprehend the damage it does- lack of empatjy. actually society in general doesnot have a full understanding of the damage it does, or else rapists would get much longer sentences. There was one study where boys were taught in school about the effect of rape,it was a beautiful study and the boys said they gained alot of insight. We need to have this in schools here.

3. Finally everyone got fired up about leniency in a rape case. Look at the cases in Ireland where people have been given a slap on the wrist or gotten off completely free. Women are starting to get their voices heard more, and it's great to see everyone protest about this one.

A lot of good will come out of this. More women will start to stand up for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I was delighted with many aspects of this case, as someone who constantly aims to promote women's rights.

1) 2 men stopped the man. It is men saying to other men 'tnis is wrong' that will really move things forward. I have talked to many men about this over the years and one said something that is relevant here. He said 'if we are beaten up by another boy when we are small we are told it is our fault for being weak. This then feeds into us never wanting to be weak again and treating anyone weaker than us including women, with aggression.

That is the old style of masculinity amongst many men. When men such as in this case show being masculine can mean being protective and caring it will start to show other men they can be that way too.

2. She really was able to get across what it feels like to be sexually assaulted succinctly and clearly. The men that do this are not able to comprehend the damage it does- lack of empatjy. actually society in general doesnot have a full understanding of the damage it does, or else rapists would get much longer sentences. There was one study where boys were taught in school about the effect of rape,it was a beautiful study and the boys said they gained alot of insight. We need to have this in schools here.

3. Finally everyone got fired up about leniency in a rape case. Look at the cases in Ireland where people have been given a slap on the wrist or gotten off completely free. Women are starting to get their voices heard more, and it's great to see everyone protest about this one.

A lot of good will come out of this. More women will start to stand up for themselves.
    I don't like the generalisation of men in the first point there. Lots of men (who will have been told to stand up for themselves when they are younger) never show aggression to women.

I don't like the generalisation of men in the first point there. Lots of men (who will have been told to stand up for themselves when they are younger) never show aggression to women.

I didn't say anywhere in that sentence that all men are like that. In fact in my work, I constantly look at it from both sides, as this is what it is needed in order to help. Men who commit these crimes do it for power, and this usually ties in with feeling weak at some stage in their lives. There is a lot of pressure on young men that they are not real men if they don't do: this, this and this, (what society tells them)etc. and they are told that sexual conquests equal being masculine,

I have worked with alot of young men, and believe me, I am not out to point the finger at men, I want a better world for both genders.

Statistics in adult sexual assault cases and child sexual assault cases show that sexual offenders are overwhelmingly male, and a lot of delicate social factors tie into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

I didn't say anywhere in that sentence that all men are like that. In fact in my work, I constantly look at it from both sides, as this is what it is needed in order to help. Men who commit these crimes do it for power, and this usually ties in with feeling weak at some stage in their lives. There is a lot of pressure on young men that they are not real men if they don't do: this, this and this, (what society tells them)etc. and they are told that sexual conquests equal being masculine,

Statistics lie and generalising and cliched pop phycology helps or changes nothing. Your post is not helpful or constructive in any shape or form.

I have worked with alot of young men, and believe me, I am not out to point the finger at men, I want a better world for both genders.

Statistics in adult sexual assault cases and child sexual assault cases show that sexual offenders are overwhelmingly male, and a lot of delicate social factors tie into that.

Statistics lie and generalising and cliched pop phycology helps or changes nothing. Your post is not helpful or constructive in any shape or form. Assault whether sexual or another type is performed by both genders and both genders should be applied when educating people on what is right and wrong and what respect and boundaries are and should mean to people.

Statistics lie and generalising and cliched pop phycology helps or changes nothing. Your post is not helpful or constructive in any shape or form. Assault whether sexual or another type is performed by both genders and both genders should be applied when educating people on what is right and wrong and what respect and boundaries are and should mean to people.

And yours is? Educate yourself. I just looked at one study there carried out by the department of justice in the U.S. Quote: '99% of perpetrators of rape were male'.

Mod

A reminder to all to attack the post and not the poster. This is a warning to all - we're civil folk in TLL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Like Midlandsmissus I also work in this area but with victims and in my experience it's a rare occurrence to meet someone sexually abused by a woman. It does happen but it's a drop in the ocean compared to male perpetrators and its not sexist to say that, it's fact.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Like Midlandsmissus I also work in this area but with victims and in my experience it's a rare occurrence to meet someone sexually abused by a woman. It does happen but it's a drop in the ocean compared to male perpetrators and its not sexist to say that, it's fact.

I don't want to drag the thread off topic so am happy to move this to PM. I mean no offence to anyone in saying this, but "working in the area" doesn't necessarily provide a representative overview of actual attacks.

Your work involves those who want to work through it, I assume. These are people who have the courage to come forward and seek help. And it's likely that of those people, not everyone will have reported it to the authorities.

What I'm trying to say is that reports don't always effectively cover the actual levels of assault.

I say this as someone who knows of three people who were assaulted by females. So in my experience, no men ever assault anyone, as nobody has shared that experience with me.

(I'm not likely making any sense, so apologies!)

Sullivlo I'm surprised by that response to be honest. Every statistic out there and every report carried out says that sexual offenders are overwhelmingly male.

• Advertisement

Sullivlo I'm surprised by that response to be honest. Every statistic out there and every report carried out says that sexual offenders are overwhelmingly male.

Oh yes, I am aware of that. I'm just pointing out that statistics don't always tell the full story. I'm not disputing that the majority of offenders are male, I'm merely querying the 99%/drop in the ocean comments. I just find it hard to believe that it's that low - studies I have read have suggested that in the region of 5-10% of offences are by women.

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. Happy to discuss further though.

Advertisement