Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Biology HL 2016 - discussion & aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

luftmensch wrote: »
    Why are there semi-circular canals in each ear?

why is there 3 was the question? I tried to relate them to z y and z coordinates:D:D It said suggest why :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Why are there semi-circular canals in each ear?

we live in a 3d world

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

bookworm20 wrote: »
    Give an advantage sexual reproduction in organisms such as yeast.?

Diversity? If in doubt it's I always put..

Hoping for a B2, with Irish bonus will bring me to a B1 too :D
    Was a tough paper if you focused on the big things as opposed to the little things, and as someone who did very little all year (second half of the course) I was pretty happy with it.

Experiment questions were lovely, section A was meh at best and Q10, 11, 12 and 14 were fairly nice.. Didn't bother learning human reproduction and it paid off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Not a nice paper, doubting I got my A1 now, will have to pull up my socks for next week
    Definitely no mention of what NAD or any of its products stands for in my book :O

• Registered Users Posts: 35 XC90_D5

What did you guys say for the non metallic element in protein?

I said Sulfur. You could have said Phosphorus as well... Snaaaky question I thought :p
    emersyn wrote: »
    Not a nice paper, doubting I got my A1 now, will have to pull up my socks for next week
    Definitely no mention of what NAD or any of its products stands for in my book :O

I think it's Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

Guys that paper was horrendous, find solace in the fact everyone found it hard! They will have to make the marking scheme to adjust to it. I was confident of a B for this but now would be over the moon with a C. Wont be counting it at this stage. Life is short and its only one subject. Look on the bright side the whopper sesh will be v soon

• Registered Users Posts: 35 XC90_D5

I wanted an A1 but that Section A definitely took that from me :rolleyes: Eoin Jackson's predictions for the experiments were spot on as usual thank god! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I was seriously expecting to scrape a pass. I had my parents warned and everything. I think I could be on the verge of a B! Definitely wasn't A1 standard but considering my D1 in the mock I'd be happy with a C!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Plankton55

Wasn't sure about these questions. Could someone confirm my answers?
    Name two types of bio molecule that are produced in the cell during interphase?
    I said lipids and proteins
    Name the vein that transports blood out of the muscle of the heart
    I said coronary vein

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Plankton55 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure about these questions. Could someone confirm my answers?
    Name two types of bio molecule that are produced in the cell during interphase?
    I said lipids and proteins
    Name the vein that transports blood out of the muscle of the heart
    I said coronary vein

I said protein and carbon dixide (i really wasn't sure!) for the biomolecules and said coronary vein too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

I find it kinda funny how many of the A/B students I talked to found it really tough, while the C/D students (myself included) found it rather easy. The tide is turning lol.

I find it kinda funny how many of the A/B students I talked to found it really tough, while the C/D students (myself included) found it rather easy. The tide is turning lol.

it's important to remember the bell curve. If the A/B students in general found it hard they are still the A/B students. Maybe it will be marked easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

luftmensch, I agree one of the "A1 girls" looked like she was going to start crying during the exam.

Just a few questions that I wasn't sure of:

How do you know from the diagram that the reproduction was asexual?
    What's the reason for a suitable temperature for the dark stage?
    How does the curvature contribute to the functioning of the eye?
    Name a vein that has capillaries at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

luftmensch, I agree one of the "A1 girls" looked like she was going to start crying during the exam.

asexual because there was only one parent in the diagram
    suitable temperature normally means enzymes
    no idea
    i said the hepatic portal vein but I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Plankton55

There was only one parent
    to allow enzymes to work at their optimum
    I said allows light to enter from all angles but I think that's wrong
    Hepatic Portal vein

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I said something about depth perception.. Probably wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

We should have them voting things at the start of the thread so we get a nice fat pie chart representing the general cenus of the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

One parent and no gametes

Suitable temperature during the dark stage to allow enzymes to regulate the metabolic pathways

Curvature of the eyeball helps refract/bend the light towards the retina.

Hepatic portal vein.
    There's another one in the brain but can't remember it's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

The vein question where we had to name suitable veins that correspond to the sentence... I wrote down aorta and pulmonary artery for a sentence but they're not veins right? Didn't know what vein would fit in correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Corkalex wrote: »
    The vein question where we had to name suitable veins that correspond to the sentence... I wrote down aorta and pulmonary artery for a sentence but they're not veins right? Didn't know what vein would fit in correctly

15 a ii(Blood vessel question
    1. Transports blood out of the muscle of the heart - coronary vein
    2. Brings blood away from the kidneys - renal vein
    3. Carries very little CO2 - pulmonary vein
    4. Brings blood into the right atrium - vena cava
    5. Ha capillaries at both ends - hepatic portal vein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

15 a ii(Blood vessel question
    1. Transports blood out of the muscle of the heart - coronary vein
    2. Brings blood away from the kidneys - renal vein
    3. Carries very little CO2 - pulmonary vein
    4. Brings blood into the right atrium - vena cava
    5. Ha capillaries at both ends - hepatic portal vein.

I wrote down 'aorta, pulmonary artery, renal artery' only to realise it was Veins.. Needless to say I narrowly avoided a heart attack

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

IF those perceptions are correct, it would suggest it was a paper where it was fairly straightforward to get the honour if you knew your stuff, but tough enough to get a top grade ... which is probably the way an Hons paper should be, so the setter did his / her job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

One parent and no gametes

Suitable temperature during the dark stage to allow enzymes to regulate the metabolic pathways

Curvature of the eyeball helps refract/bend the light towards the retina.

Hepatic portal vein.
    There's another one in the brain but can't remember it's name.

Hypophyseal portal system.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

for the exp. question for drawing the heart rate/ pulse rate was it a line you drew or a curve?

koolis02 wrote: »
    for the exp. question for drawing the heart rate/ pulse rate was it a line you drew or a curve?

It said draw a graph?

It said draw a graph?

I think he's asking did you draw straight lines or curved lines in the graph. I drew lines that were curved but i'm not sure

I think he's asking did you draw straight lines or curved lines in the graph. I drew lines that were curved but i'm not sure

I drew an exponential decreasing curve, assuming both women just finished exercise.. Their pulse rate would be high but different levels. Since the woman is fit, her pulse rate will decrease faster and level off faster.

It was a weird question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jigga98

Does anyone know if spelling would matter for the NAD? Instead of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide I said nicotanine adenine dinucleotide,

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Jigga98 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if spelling would matter for the NAD? Instead of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide I said nicotanine adenine dinucleotide,

With how much people were complaining about that question, I wouldn't be surprised if any proper attempt at that gets you the full marks. You should be alright

• Advertisement

I drew an exponential decreasing curve, assuming both women just finished exercise.. Their pulse rate would be high but different levels. Since the woman is fit, her pulse rate will decrease faster and level off faster.

It was a weird question.

thats what i did! except with breathing rates. my unfit person had a higher rest breathing rate also

Advertisement