Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Biology HL 2016 - discussion & aftermath

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

thats what i did! except with breathing rates. my unfit person had a higher rest breathing rate also

I did 2 linear graphs with the unfit persons heart rate increasing quicker and the fitter persons heart rate increasing more steadily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

koolis02 wrote: »
    I did 2 linear graphs with the unfit persons heart rate increasing quicker and the fitter persons heart rate increasing more steadily

That's what I did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

so you guys did have both on the axes?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jack55

What did you guys put for the name given to the regions of plants which secrete growth regulators?

Jack55 wrote: »
    What did you guys put for the name given to the regions of plants which secrete growth regulators?

The meristems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jack55

luftmensch wrote: »
    The meristems

Ugh.. talk about a poorly phrased question. Felt like they were asking for a certain species of plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

The meristems

isn't it the zone of elongation? The meristem is the zone of reproduction, the zone of elongation is where auxins are secreted?

TSMGUY wrote: »
    isn't it the zone of elongation? The meristem is the zone of reproduction, the zone of elongation is where auxins are secreted?

Ah ****e, they're produced in the meristems, but secreted in the zone of elongation, isn't that it? Oh well, another 3 marks gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Ah ****e, they're produced in the meristems, but secreted in the zone of elongation, isn't that it? Oh well, another 3 marks gone.

Just realised I made the same mistake, A1 slipping further and further out of my reach :D

emersyn wrote: »
    Just realised I made the same mistake, A1 slipping further and further out of my reach :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys! If you guys have any more questions you wanna know the answer to, try me, I think I did pretty well. I always feel like such a pr*** telling people they got an answer wrong but if it'll set you at ease....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news guys! If you guys have any more questions you wanna know the answer to, try me, I think I did pretty well. I always feel like such a pr*** telling people they got an answer wrong but if it'll set you at ease....

Hahahahaa, you couldn't have sounded any more arrogant:D.

Edrees98 wrote: »
    Hahahahaa, you couldn't have sounded any more arrogant:D.

Ayyyyyyyy that's rich coming from you Mr "Did 2009 biology paper, got 99%"

You had me stressing with that chit. 99%???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

Ayyyyyyyy that's rich coming from you Mr "Did 2009 biology paper, got 99%"

You had me stressing with that chit. 99%???:confused:

Hahaha, that was an easy paper though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Meristems are located in the zone of elongation and apricol bud. They produce and secrete the growth promoters.

At this stage, I think the marking scheme will give marks for Meristems because technically it's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LaursMurp123

If anyone has the paper could you post a link please! Cant find it online! Thanks!

If anyone has the paper could you post a link please! Cant find it online! Thanks!

https://www.examinations.ie/exammaterialarchive/

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Anyone know the answer to last two questions on Qs.9 the experiments??

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to last two questions on Qs.9 the experiments??

9bv) After the plate was flooded with iodine the entire surface of the agar changed colour from brown-yellow to blue-black

vi) The digestive enzymes in the beans had been denatured so digestion of the starch had not occurred, meaning that starch was still present in all of the agar which caused the colour change

If you used skimmed milk/protein agar it'll be different, I presume you use biuret reagent and it changes from blue to purple

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

The amount of time wasted studying for this horror of an exam for it not to even be counted is a bit sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

My daughter spent most of her time on Biology last year, studied it to bits and got D1. Terrible waste of precious study hours too. She did very well in all other subjects, still can't understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just because you spend time studying doesn't mean you are going to get good grades, you also need to have aptitude.

If you didn't get the marks then you didn't have the right answers. All questions are based on the syllabus. Tricky questions are meant to challenge the good students while separating them from the weak students. You see this all the time in Mcqs. They will have enough easy questions for the students who want to pass and then the trickier questions will be answered correctly by the better students.

You would be a fool to think that just because you studied you are guaranteed good results. Its application of information which matters, which is why the weaker students get caught out by curve balls.

Set last year's wrong right and got my A2 up to an A1. Shame my C1 in maths disbars me from most science courses though:rolleyes:

EDIT: EoghanIRL, there's no need to be so rude to the woman, she's just disappointed for her daughter. Even though I got an A1, I have to say the questions were funky as hell this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭LC2016

maude6868 wrote: »
    My daughter spent most of her time on Biology last year, studied it to bits and got D1. Terrible waste of precious study hours too. She did very well in all other subjects, still can't understand it.

I was the exact same.It was my worst result by far and the one I put most effort into weirdly enough. Who knows what more I could've got had I focused mostly on those six I counted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I had pegged Biology as one of my worst subjects (that I was counting) ended up getting a B2 up from a D1 in the mock!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

i was actually shocked to have gotten an A2 from B3 in mocks

Advertisement