Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Biology HL 2016 - discussion & aftermath

Options
  • 13-06-2016 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Aright lads (and ladies), final countdown.

I can't get my head around the nitrogen/carbon cycle. Any good links?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

If that comes up I'm just dodging it. That's whats nice about the Biology paper. That and photosynthesis are the only things I can't get my head around. Hopefully with a nice paper I can pull the A1

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

I'm dodging all of plants. Hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

I'm dodging all of plants. Hehe.

RISKY !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Edrees98 wrote: »
    RISKY !!!!!!!

Lmao, you write like a teacher! I do agree though, that is risky as f***. It's a huge part of the course. I just skip sexual reproduction of plants (1/42 chapters isn't that bad).

Do you do the carbon/nitrogen cycle, Edress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Biology is my best subject so looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

Biology is my best subject so looking forward to it!

After last year's A2 (I really deserved an A1), I'm looking forward to settling the score.

History on the other hand...... welp.

TSMGUY wrote: »
    After last year's A2 (I really deserved an A1), I'm looking forward to settling the score.

History on the other hand...... welp.

Can't imagine how that'd feel! Having constant 100% throughout the year and then a sad A2 on the exam that actually counts..

Won't be able to sleep today :o.

Lmao, you write like a teacher! I do agree though, that is risky as f***. It's a huge part of the course. I just skip sexual reproduction of plants (1/42 chapters isn't that bad).

Do you do the carbon/nitrogen cycle, Edress?

Haha, yeah I'm studying it, don't follow the diagram its very confusing I prefer wordsss. It isn't that difficult. I wouldn't risk not studying it, I feel its due up in a full ecology question. By the way, how did u do last year?

Edrees98 wrote: »
    Haha, yeah I'm studying it, don't follow the diagram its very confusing I prefer wordsss. It isn't that difficult. I wouldn't risk not studying it, I feel its due up in a full ecology question. By the way, how did u do last year?

got an A2 in honours. Was gutted I didn't get an A1. Questions were strange as hell. The experiment q and the chit about the human dental formula and some other stuff were totally unexpected.

got an A2 in honours. Was gutted I didn't get an A1. Questions were strange as hell. The experiment q and the chit about the human dental formula and some other stuff were totally unexpected.

I'm expecting an easy paper because of last years' marking scheme fiasco. Hopefully I get an A ( prefer not to say A1, dont want to jinx myself ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

looking forward to't.
    was a few marks off an A last year.. so I'm hoping to set things straight and stick it to the examiners who didn't bump me up last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Looking forward to this and hoping for a nice paper but I think overall it is gonna be a nice paper

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

Have you guys learned "stages of the heartbeat"?... Doesn't look appealing and contemplating whether or not I should learn it

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Bangdiggy wrote: »
    Have you guys learned "stages of the heartbeat"?... Doesn't look appealing and contemplating whether or not I should learn it

I would say the hear and circulatory system is an almost banker this year so I would absolutely know it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Dodgy paper to be honest.. Got an A1 in the mocks and didn't feel near as confident handing this one up today. Experiments were handy, but there was very dodgy Short & Long questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

I feel the same, got an a2 in my two Mocks and was hoping for an a1 but I've no idea now. Some odd questions on there

99% of people I talked to thought that exam was hard as f***.

Personally, I thought it was pretty decent. Thoughts?

think I got an A1 tbh. Not that hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

I thought a lot of questions were quite unusual. They asked a lot of stuff most people skip over and consider not to be that important. Like they didn't ask about the heart and blood vessels directly, they gave descriptions of veins and asked what they were describing. Wasn't too bad though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

99% of people I talked to thought that exam was hard as f***.

Personally, I thought it was pretty decent. Thoughts?

On first read it seemed difficult but going through each section it was okay.

LS and TS of a vein though!?? Really?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lc16_

Happy out with that paper.
    Experiments were straightforward. Still did all of them even though my teacher warned us not to :p
    Long questions weren't too bad either, surprised a full question on genetics didnt come up though.
    Short questions were alright, bit annoyed now I didnt study ecology theory in full because..forgot what contest competition & biotic meant :@ !!
    Wasn't too bad overall, hoping for a B1/A2.

• Advertisement

What organelle is replicated during the interphase?!?!?!?!???!???

Lovely paper, the short questions a bit iffy but expecting an A1.

What organelle is replicated during the interphase?!?!?!?!???!???

Lovely paper, the short questions a bit iffy but expecting an A1.

i said mitochondria. Lemme check.

Yep, mitochondria

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

did the long 's first, thought ecology question was a bit wordy, as usual. Section a and b were piss. Almost put down aorta instead of coronary vein for the veins question!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Much tougher than other years (apart from the experiments). Very surprised that the common genetics long question didn't come up! Very odd short questions as well. Was really hoping for an A1 here but it's unlikely after how today went.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

That was disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

That was the worst exam ever so far!! I'd be surprised if I even got a C3

What did you guys say for the non metallic element in protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

For the ecology question, did they want the capture-recapture method, or do you just write about an instrument that you used to capture the animals?

luftmensch wrote: »
    For the ecology question, did they want the capture-recapture method, or do you just write about an instrument that you used to capture the animals?
    Pretty sure it was how you used an instrument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

What did you guys say for the non metallic element in protein?

Phosporous

Advertisement