Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode design

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

plodder wrote: »
    I am always surprised by the normal negative attitude displayed by many people. 'Glass half full' is trumped by 'Glass is nearly empty' even though it is half full or half empty.

Look at the success of the 'Young Scientist' or the uptake of 'Transition Year' and how much this has been a force for good in this country. The future of this country should be in the hands of the young and they could and would take up such a project with enthusiasm. Imagine if they were given the project of finding the local history and coming up with appropriate names for their local roads.

I cannot believe this would not capture the enthusiasm and imagination of those involved. It is not all about money and budgets. To quote a well known rugby player near the end of a particular game where we trailed by a few points in the last few minutes - 'Where is your ******* pride?' We won the game.
    Simple plebiscites like this would be easy to set up, and it has to be said Eircode would make the job easier. You send out a PIN to each eircode in an area and you login to a voting page using your eircode and PIN. Each household gets one vote. The same PIN could be used for multiple votes on different questions (not too controversial, as this is not e-voting). People could send in ideas for names, and the councillors could shortlist them.

I'm up for a bit of divilment, so are the majority of my neighbours. We propose the name the Feck The Lot of Ye Road.

Are the councillors going to bypass the democratically expressed wishes of the majority of the residents on this bit of road and give it a different name?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I'm up for a bit of divilment, so are the majority of my neighbours. We propose the name the Feck The Lot of Ye Road.

Are the councillors going to bypass the democratically expressed wishes of the majority of the residents on this bit of road and give it a different name?

More negativity.

I would think there would be a short list and then a plebicite. Clearly inappropriate ones would be eliminated. However, Dustin made it to Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Funny you should say that. There is a house near me with the name "Our House". They could campaign for the road to be called "In the middle of our" street. :)

But to answer your question, why not? The trouble with these internet campaigns like the recent "Boaty McBoatface" one, is that the people doing the divilment don't have to live with the consequences, whereas you and your neighbours would. So, I think the real result might be different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

An Post have highly computerised systems and could have dealt with a completely random post code. So it had no necessity and no reason to have any input into the design. It just owned the Geodirectory along with the OS.

Go to google, search for roadex.org ireland drainage report pdf

Click on the second result to open a pdf file.

On page 8 of the pdf:

"Road N56 runs from Donegal town to Letterkenny and is 156 km long. This road was selected for a demonstration of a full drainage survey and a rehabilitation plan."

"Road N59 commences in County Sligo, south of Sligo Town and circles around the west of Ireland, passing west from Sligo into County Mayo. The road then continues on to Westport and then through Maam Cross to Oughterard, from where it proceeds southeast to Galway city, a total length of 297 km."

I have no idea how many rural houses are on these two roads but I'd imagine there are thousands. And there must be tens of thousands along all the other national roads and regional roads in Ireland.

These roads are sometimes a few hundred kilometres long, or tens of kilometres long in the case of most regional roads, passing through multiple townlands and often different counties.

Unless you divide these roads into short segments (ideally corresponding to the names of the townlands they pass through), you'd end up with thousands of houses and other addresses having the N18 as part of their address, for example,

John Gallagher
    1507 N18
    Gort
    Co. Galway

What happens to people who live along the N18 between Gort and Galway when the M18 is finished and the road is reclassified as a regional road, probably numbered R458?

If a system of addresses using road numbers was already in place would all the N18 addresses have to be changed?

• Advertisement

Funny you should say that. There is a house near me with the name "Our House". They could campaign for the road to be called "In the middle of our" street. :)

But to answer your question, why not? The trouble with these internet campaigns like the recent "Boaty McBoatface" one, is that the people doing the divilment don't have to live with the consequences, whereas you and your neighbours would. So, I think the real result might be different.

As I said, myself and all my neighbours are in agreement - all of us will vote for the name 'Feck The Lot of Ye Road'. Are you going to overturn our democratically expressed wishes to come up with a more 'suitable' name? What about the Bobby Sands Road v Ian Paisley Road scenario? What about the N56 road? How many names is it going to have along its 156 km length? If you choose to use numbers instead of names, what happens when the existing road number changes (e.g. from N18 to R458) and what system re you going to use to sub-divide long roads like the 297km long N59?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Here's a few to start.

1. Why doesn't Eircode have a hierarchical structure?....

Its pretty clear it was set to make it unusable unless you pay to use the database. There is no other reason.
    PDVerse wrote: »
    ...One consistent negative was use of the postcode hierarchy to determine insurance premiums, school catchment boundaries, property prices etc....

This is nonsense. All they will do is ignore the Eircode and use the existing addresses to continue as they always have. It has no effect on any of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Does it really matter. Its dead in the water from launch.

More negativity.

I would think there would be a short list and then a plebicite. Clearly inappropriate ones would be eliminated. However, Dustin made it to Eurovision.
    I'm asking you why you feel the need to spend more time and money addressing a problem that's already been solved? How is that negative? There's no need for numbers and road names in rural Ireland. Every Irish postal address has a unique Eircode which forms part of its postal address. Why do you need to add house numbers and road names to already unique addresses? What's the point of this exercise?

And who decides what's an inappropriate name? If some residents of a road in Co. Cork want to name a road after a local republican who was killed in the War of Independence but other residents object, who decides if the suggested name is inappropriate? Is there some general principle in Ireland that it's inappropriate to name roads after people who used violence to help achieve Irish independence? That's a rhetorical question by the way...

Resistance? Why would there be resistance to a local initiative except from the usual begrudgers? There are procedures at local government for plebiscites on these matters.
    The idea of asking the public is fraught with danger and risk for some. It just doesn't come naturally at all to those who know best.

If it was setup right it would actually be very successful.

Those who know best? Like people who decide that, despite the democratically expressed wishes of myself and my neighbours, the name 'Feck The Lot Of Ye Road' would be 'inappropriate'?

• Advertisement

I'm asking you why you feel the need to spend more time and money addressing a problem that's already been solved? How is that negative? There's no need for numbers and road names in rural Ireland. Every Irish postal address has a unique Eircode which forms part of its postal address. Why do you need to add house numbers and road names to already unique addresses? What's the point of this exercise?

If every house displays its Eircode at the gate, then yes problem solved.

If you are looking for A26 F9C3, how are you going to know where it is?

If you are looking for 450 Dundoolin Road, Dundoolin, Co Whatsit, then if you are in Dundoolin townland because you saw a sign saying that, and there is a street sign saying Dundoolin Road, then you look for a house 450 metres up that road and you are there.

Clearly there are plenty of examples where such a scheme would not work, but there are far more where it would work. For example all new estates could be catered for - it just requires the planning authority to insist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

If you are looking for 450 Dundoolin Road, Dundoolin, Co Whatsit, then if you are in Dundoolin townland because you saw a sign saying that, and there is a street sign saying Dundoolin Road, then you look for a house 450 metres up that road and you are there.

This would have been wonderful 50 years ago. People simply do not do operate like this anymore. If I want to get to 450 dundoolin rd. I pull my phone out and go there. The townland is irrelevant.

Maybe if we had this system all along then the default would be to just work it out. But it's not. The default is pull out your phone. And eircode works perfectly in that scenario

I've honestly never in my life been in a town or city where I tried to work out where I was going any other way than google maps.

If you think about how connected our lives our now and go forward 10 years. 5G is coming, data roaming wil be abolished in the EU. the idea of not having a connected device to access what you want will seem so old fashioned.

Somebody using street signs to get around will be like someone using a phone booth today. They'll be laughed at

If you're driving, you'll probably tell the car where you want to go and it'll drive itself. If you're walking you'll probably have some sort of VR headgear on and that will guide you. You may laugh at that. But people didn't think we'd all have smartphones 10 years ago

If every house displays its Eircode at the gate, then yes problem solved.

If you are looking for A26 F9C3, how are you going to know where it is?

Clearly there are plenty of examples where such a scheme would not work, but there are far more where it would work. For example all new estates could be catered for - it just requires the planning authority to insist on it.

Where did I see this sign? I'm on the M18 near Ennis. Is there a signpost to Dundoolin on the motorway? Let's say there's not. Now I need to know where Dundoolin is. How do you suggest I find out? Perhaps an app that will allow me to navigate there? If only there was one for Eircodes...

Is this Dundoolin Road the only Dundoolin Road in the country or even in that county?

There's a Moy Road in Portadown, Co. Armagh.

There's a Moy Road in Armagh, Co. Armagh.

There's a Moy Road in Dungannon, Co. Tyrone.

There's even a Moy Road in Cardiff. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

beauf wrote: »
    Does it really matter. Its dead in the water from launch.

It's getting really, really tiresome having to rebut uninformed drivel like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you are looking for 450 Dundoolin Road, Dundoolin, Co Whatsit, then if you are in Dundoolin townland because you saw a sign saying that, and there is a street sign saying Dundoolin Road, then you look for a house 450 metres up that road and you are there...................

In your wonder system :

what happens if you approach it from the other end of the road ?

Should it have two house numbers ?
    450 Dundoolin Road (west)

1827 Dundoolin Road (east)

What happens if there is a T-junction halfway up the road and you approach by that ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As I've pointed out before, there are two Coolcrans just outside Ballina, County Mayo.

A friend of mine grew up in a rural townland near Castlebar in Co. Mayo.

The townland has a national school and three houses.

There's one signpost to the National School but there are no signposts to the townland itself and, apart from the sign at the school, no signs at all to indicate that you've entered (or left) this townland.

Let's say that Mayo County Council, for some bizarre reason, decided to erect signposts directing people to a townland with one national school and three houses.

How far a radius around the townland should they erect the signposts?

Let's say 2km is reasonable.

How much would each signpost cost to design, make, install, maintain and replace after 20 years?

How much would it cost to name the roads in the townland (let's sat it's done through the local plebiscite setup suggested earlier) and what would be the point?

How much would it cost to design, make, install and maintain signs for each road in the townland?

Let's say the townland has a big increase in population and it's now got 20 houses, perhaps more typical of most Irish rural townlands.

There are 58,923 townlands in Ireland (49,314 in the republic) according to townlands.ie

That's a lot of signs.

Co. Donegal had a population of 161,137 according to the 2011 Census.

It has 2,614 townlands.

The average population of each townland is less than 62 people.

Obviously most rural townlands will have much smaller populations since some townlands near towns like Letterkenny and other towns and villages will now have become densely populated or even suburbanised.

Let's say we pick 2,000 rural townlands in Co. Donegal to trial this system.

We'll put up an average of five signposts per townland and ten signs showing the new names of the various roads in these townlands.

That's 10,000 directional signposts and 20,000 signs showing the new names of the roads in these townlands.

Have you got a rough idea of how much that would cost? Who's going to pay for it? Donegal County Council? Where is Donegal County Council going to get the money? From business rates? From LPT?

If you're not sure, phone this number. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tel: +44 28 3026 4511 for PWS Signs. They should be able to give you a rough idea of how much 10,000 fingerpost signs and 20,000 nameplate signs for local roads, including design and installation, would cost.[/font]

• Advertisement

Let's be very generous and say it only costs 2,500 per townland for signage. And let's only put signage up for 40,000 townlands.

That would cost 100,000,000.

One hundred million euros - what a bargain!

I hope that puts the cost of Eircodes into perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Eircode is a postcode design. An Post has a Universal Service Obligation, unlike other organisations that compete with it. Every postcode design suits the USP for this reason. An Post has very specific sorting requirements, based on its Post Town delivery model, which ignores County boundaries as it would be inefficient to do otherwise. The Routing Key design allows An Post to manually sort post as efficiently as possible into slots in a sorting frame, one label per slot.

Can you post a link to an official map of the routing keys - unofficial ones by Gamma and Ossian Smyth have been posted but I don't think an official map has been made available yet.

One blank fingerpost sign costs 179.00, plus 23% VAT from RSPD.ie, excluding the cost of a pole, delivery, putting the sign up, designing the text for the sign etc.

Let's be generous and say that all those extras are included, so the total cost per fingerpost sign is 220.17.

We'll say an average of five signs per townland, instead of ten.

So that's over 1,100.00 per townland on directional signs alone, plus the cost of signs with the names of the roads in the townlands on them.

The previous estimate of a cost of 2,500 per townland for signage looks to be about right if we're realistic about the extra costs on top of the cost of the blank fingerpost signs.

Multiply that by 40,000 townlands (there are over 49,000 in the republic but we'll assume that about 20% of those are now urbanised and already have streets with names, including signs, and house numbers) and you get a total of 100,000,000.

And that's before we factor in the cost of the public consultation process to assign road names to the tens of thousands of un-named roads, the cost of updating databases and maps and the cost of eventually replacing these signs.

From the RSPD.ie website:

[font=din-next-w01-light, din-next-w02-light, din-next-w10-light, sans-serif]All our listed prices are exclusive of VAT @ 23%. VAT will be added on during the checkout process.[/font]
    [font=din-next-w01-light, din-next-w02-light, din-next-w10-light, sans-serif]Fingerpost Sign (1000x300mm)[/font]

[font=din-next-w01-light, din-next-w02-light, din-next-w10-light, sans-serif] 179.00[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭PDVerse

There isn't an official Routing Key boundary map. Technically boundaries don't exist. A boundary would imply you could infer the Routing Key of a new build in advance. In practice a new build is added to a delivery route, which determines its post town. Anyone can trace a boundary around all the properties with the same Routing Key and call it a Routing Key map.

It isn't well known that this is also how UK postcodes work, which is why there are so many changes to UK postcode boundaries.

If Ordnance Survey Ireland created a boundary set it would be considered "official" but would still not indicate the Routing Key of a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭byrnefm

There isn't an official Routing Key boundary map. Technically boundaries don't exist. A boundary would imply you could infer the Routing Key of a new build in advance. In practice a new build is added to a delivery route, which determines its post town. Anyone can trace a boundary around all the properties with the same Routing Key and call it a Routing Key map

Curious - say that An Post changes its postal delivery routing - I'm sure it is a possibility that it could happen - will that mean that the areas affected will have to get new routing codes, to match An Post's new routes for distribution?

Also, I saw you explained in brief where the routing code comes from but was there a reason for such large gaps in the numbering? For example, northwest Donegal is all F92. But for every area apart from Dublin, there is no '01' area and the route numbering appears to be very erratic, at best. It seems strange that the largest towns in many cases have such high numbers, such as F91 for Sligo and F92 for Letterkenny and yet there is no F01.

I've taught my young son his address, including Eircode but most people I speak to cannot see any point using them - and don't. I struggle to find a convincing argument why they're useful for them.. at least until a 'killer' application or use for them is promoted.

Was such resistance envisaged?

Routing Keys were carefully selected to minimise the potential to change. I don't expect to see an Eircode change its Routing Key because of an An Post change to delivery routing.

The Number 9 in the second position of a Routing Key code has a significance for An Post.

In terms of numbering, certain ones were ruled out (e.g. F16, N17) because they had an existing significance. Also if there is an F23 we avoided an F32, and other obvious issues.

The design focused on eliminating issues that would cause "resistance", but adoption takes time. We expected to see implementation in Emergency Services, Insurance, Telecoms, Pizza Delivery, ECommerce, Local Government, Government Departments, Financial Services, Logistics and Delivery, Google Maps and Sat-Navs in the first year. We're still awaiting arrival on Google Maps and Sat-Navs which is disappointing. There are live examples in the first seven categories, and there are projects currently being implemented in the other named industries. The more projects are rolled out the more people will encounter Eircode, and hopefully appreciate its utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Routing Keys were carefully selected to minimise the potential to change. I don't expect to see an Eircode change its Routing Key because of an An Post change to delivery routing.

The Number 9 in the second position of a Routing Key code has a significance for An Post.

In terms of numbering, certain ones were ruled out (e.g. F16, N17) because they had an existing significance. Also if there is an F23 we avoided an F32, and other obvious issues.

The design focused on eliminating issues that would cause "resistance", but adoption takes time. We expected to see implementation in Emergency Services, Insurance, Telecoms, Pizza Delivery, ECommerce, Local Government, Government Departments, Financial Services, Logistics and Delivery, Google Maps and Sat-Navs in the first year. We're still awaiting arrival on Google Maps and Sat-Navs which is disappointing. There are live examples in the first seven categories, and there are projects currently being implemented in the other named industries. The more projects are rolled out the more people will encounter Eircode, and hopefully appreciate its utility.
    What do you know about license changes that would suit google maps, and satnavs? Has this happened, or are they still expected to work within the current published license?

I don't believe mapping services and satnavs etc. were ever expected to work within the standard license that I have as a VAR, as it isn't suitable. Any negotiations in this area would be between Eircode and the various organisations, VARs have no involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

I don't believe mapping services and satnavs etc. were ever expected to work within the standard license that I have as a VAR, as it isn't suitable. Any negotiations in this area would be between Eircode and the various organisations, VARs have no involvement.

I've been saying for months that eircode have a different product for mapping companies but he won't believe me because he thinks it would have to be publicly available. I would suggest that if he contacts eircode and asked them for thier mapping product he might get a reply. He's taking the FOA route though I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I still don't understand why we couldn't just have a 4-digit postcode system. Works perfectly for the entire continent of Europe - I use many of them daily for work.

But no, we just had to do our own, misguided, badly thought out, privatised thing, and throw taxpayer's money at it to prop it up. As usual.

Advertisement