Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of joining the RDF

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

jamesl121 wrote: »
    Well lads i was just thinking about join the RDF, but can u join if you have a Criminal Record :confused: can us let me no really appreciate.:)
    Turbine wrote: »
    No.

Turbine is incorrect on this one James. There is a common misconception that any conviction would exclude you from the Defence Forces but this most definitely NOT the case.

Each applicant is put through a garda vetting process. Whether or not you're conviction will hinder your application depends entirely on the crime you committed. More serious crimes, like theft, assault etc would be a certain bar to your joining. But each application is considered individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

jamesl121 wrote: »
    Well lads i was just thinking about join the RDF, but can u join if you have a Criminal Record :confused: can us let me no really appreciate.:)
    Depends on the Criminal Act but very likely no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Lads a friend was talking about joining but he wears glasses and I was saying to him that you have to have very good eyesight to join?

On the faq it says that serious convictions in a civil or the special criminal court (the 'RA court) means you are uneligable

Lads a friend was talking about joining but he wears glasses and I was saying to him that you have to have very good eyesight to join?

The exact eyesight requirements are availabe on military.ie

It doesn't specify RDF but i'm 99% sure its the same for the Reserve as it is for the PDF. Its actually a lot more lenient than you'd think and the vision is tested aided and unaided ie: with and without glasses afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

His eyesight would need to be seriously bad to prevent him from joining. But if he is colour blind he will not be allowed to join.

....... the special criminal court (the 'RA court) ........

facepalm.jpg

John_D80 wrote: »
    facepalm.jpg
    Thats what it was set up for... Whats your problem that you have to call me "****ing retarded" for pointing out to people, who mightn't know, what the court is for?

CIGANO wrote: »
    His eyesight would need to be seriously bad to prevent him from joining. But if he is colour blind he will not be allowed to join.
    Ah he just has a lazy eye, perfect vision in one, approx 60/70% in the other

lol and I was telling him he was fecked!

Never said you were retarded. Just your statement. ie: The 'RA' court. A bit 1980's wasn't it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The Special crimanal court is used for prosecution of all sorts of scumbag criminals. Not just the Ra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The Special crimanal court is used for prosecution of all sorts of scumbag criminals. Not just the Ra.

In modern times, it can only be used in alleged terrorist or organised crime cases, so not quite all sorts. Back in the day, Dev used it against people who broke rationing laws during the Emergency.

Yerra you are trying to make the scum out to be special.

Donny5 wrote: »
    In modern times, it can only be used in alleged terrorist or organised crime cases, so not quite all sorts. Back in the day, Dev used it against people who broke rationing laws during the Emergency.

I could be wrong but to the best of my knowledge, the special criminal court only came into existence in the mid 70's. Open to correction on this though.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but to the best of my knowledge, the special criminal court only came into existence in the mid 70's. Open to correction on this though.

No, they were established by OASA 1939.
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/Library3.nsf/pagecurrent/41C06A30E5FEDA7B80256D870050508C
    However the courts were not enacted until 1972. So yes and no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

However the courts were not enacted until 1972. So yes and no.

That's not true. The current incarnation of the SCC was established in 1972, alright, but there were special courts during the emergency and all through the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

regnar wrote: »
    Firstly let we just say that whoever is going on about "its a laugh with some cheap drink and guns" lark to kindly shut their word hole! the reserve is NOT like that! Most of the time any good unit are training hard in their retrospective fields of expertese! for example my unit are allways doing tatics! Platoon and section in attacks! Drills drills and more drills! this stigma that the word f.c.á invokes is just sickining! here we are giving up OUR free time to train for an eventuallity the we hopoe we never have to do! and we dont get much respect for it either! the way things are going we will be a totally new force in a few years.....

if your interested in joining then look up www.military.ie under the reserve section....

Dont listen to these muppets go on about how cushy it is and how you get paid to drink cheap beer and shoot stuff! if you join under that impression your gona have to deal with the shock of change later on....
    Then im guessing this wouldnt prepare anyone for joining the ffl ?:L

Calhoun wrote: »
    What you think contacts are?? I can see well enough myself without them. What do they do in the american army btw? You see them all in pics ect with glasses on. If i was in a situation were the would break anyway id probably be hurt quite a bit. In all the time i have had my glasses and the **** ive done with them.

The Corporal basicly had power trip. Hes playing army. Thought he was cool. The night i was brought up doing drills and ****. I obviosly hadnt been there before so the assumption i would know what i was doing is stupid.

How is it stressful when all you do for about 2 hours is smoke. They stressing over getting cancer? Anyway the prospects of going down the curragh were the real PDF think your a walking joke could be quite annoying. Didn't some guy sue a while ago cause someone from the PDF threw a gas grenade into a RDF barracks. The guy that sued had reall bad asmha
    Join the french foreign legion then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Join the french foreign legion then :)

How about you respond to a post that isnt 7 years old :):D

Calhoun wrote: »
    How about you respond to a post that isnt 7 years old :):D

Quick response happy :::D:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement