Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of joining the RDF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Cryos wrote: »
    There is a small % of full times that give a hard time, i dont think anyone in the rdf expects to be as good as or better than the PDF (there are people in the RDF that do expect this), the skills at using the equipment are relative to the 2 or so hours a week training is provided. By and large your experience will be positive.

Thanks for the reply and advice but I think you've misunderstood what I was asking. I was asking was there any RDF regiment in Brugha barracks with a name for professionalism / taking it seriously? The kind of guys who are there for the whole experience and not just to fire a gun.
    Since you are looking at Cathal Brugha, have you considered any of the non-infantry companys, MP's, Signals, air Defence or the Cav?
    I can't speak from personal experience not being in any of those myself, but as you put it people who just want to fire a gun I think would be less likely to join one of them.

I have taken a brief look at them, Air Defence and Cav I'd do sound interesting but my main interest would be in infantry and artillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭clown2brown

Put forward an application this evening for the MP in bruagh. Although there is a recruitment ban at the moment they offered to take my application and forward it for garda clearance when its lifted, could I be long waiting:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I'd contact a few other units - some are recruiting, some aren't. It all depends on their numbers. Be aware it will be months to get your security clearance back due to the backlog in the Garda Vetting offices. Once that's back, you'll be waiting again for a medical as there aren't enough doctors in the DF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Are the reserves as strict regarding colour blindness compared to the army? What limitations are there on roles if it is possible to get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

The colour blind test that you take is an Ishihara which is pass/fail so it would depend on your deficiency/severity/colours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Are the reserves as strict regarding colour blindness compared to the army? What limitations are there on roles if it is possible to get in?

It's the same as the army. If you're colour blind the limitation is you don't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

RMD wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply and advice but I think you've misunderstood what I was asking. I was asking was there any RDF regiment in Brugha barracks with a name for professionalism / taking it seriously? The kind of guys who are there for the whole experience and not just to fire a gun.

Oh right sorry, i know folks in CIS and engineers take it seriously and are there for the teamwork, skills relative to the unit (radios, IT, engineering)etc...
    concussion wrote: »
    I'd contact a few other units - some are recruiting, some aren't. It all depends on their numbers. Be aware it will be months to get your security clearance back due to the backlog in the Garda Vetting offices. Once that's back, you'll be waiting again for a medical as there aren't enough doctors in the DF.

Its upwards of 5 Months at the moment.

Three potentials were rejected recently for the unit im in 1x Colour blind [not sure of the severity] and 2x Asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

my colour blindness test was, the doctor asked me to point out items on his desk, like green biro, blue cup etc.. 4 out of 11 people failed the hearing test (myself included) and we were still recruited. So some regiments are lenient and others are strict i presume. i think we got a very lenient regiment

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

I think you are telling little fibs or else you are pretty old, no one who fails a hearing test is attested, no MO would perform such a colour blind test.
    What Unit do you serve in.

Why would i bother telling lies about it. Im 19 , got accepted last last month. Im not giving out the regiment im in. I dont want to get me or them in trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

I am in the Reserve since 1985, an officer since 1993 and I do not belive that you are telling the truth, I would be shocked to my core if what you are saying is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

mcko wrote: »
    I think you are telling little fibs or else you are pretty old, no one who fails a hearing test is attested, no MO would perform such a colour blind test.
    What Unit do you serve in.

My colour test was similar, and my medical was done by a PDF MO(when there was still a few) in 2000. The medical world is unconvinced of the accuracy of ishihara, particularly if the subject suffers from dyslexia.
    Hearing test was in the box though.

well that is what happened. the were very eager to get us accepted. the told us anyone that had asthma, not to write it down. Also on the amount of alcohol and cigarrettes, we were told not to write to much down

richy1 wrote: »
    Why would i bother telling lies about it. Im 19 , got accepted last last month. Im not giving out the regiment im in. I dont want to get me or them in trouble

Well, there's only 3.5 RDF Regiments in the country, judging by your previous posts, you're in Limerick judging from your previous posts, so that'd make it the local Battery of the Air Defence Regiment. I'd also hazard a guess that your name is Richard.

Nope, we havn't had anyone attested in the last few months - currently waiting on dates for medicals. I believe he is incorrect in referring to his unit as a Regiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

testicle wrote: »
    Well, there's only 3.5 RDF Regiments in the country, judging by your previous posts, you're in Limerick judging from your previous posts, so that'd make it the local Battery of the Air Defence Regiment. I'd also hazard a guess that your name is Richard.

Stalking much?

testicle wrote: »

wrong on both accounts sherlock.My brother is called richard its his boards ID. Secondly i go to college in UL but i dont live in limerick. Apologies for saying regiment as i meant my unit Mr concussion.

No problem at all.

Stalking much?

Not at all Monsieur le Poisson. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?do=finduser&u=239346

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

I'm interested in joining the RDF anyone have any information on the medical company. (the 31st logistics if possible). Particularly what they do day to day and do they still do weapons training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

http://www.rdf.ie/corps/medical.html

The best thing to do is call them up and see when they are parading, go down and ask the questions. When i was looking to join i went down to the unit i was looking at, got a real good insight of what the unit did and the character of the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jw93

Does anybody know if the recruitment evening is still on in Cathal Brugha Barracks next Tuesday the 8th?

Thanks,
    Jack

Sound man Cryos, I think ill try that. Any chance you're in the medical coy yourself? Also could anyone tell me roughly how long it takes from applying to being issued your service no?

As answered recently on this board, anywhere from 3-6 months, if not longer for some unfortunates.

Thanks concussion, sorry i didnt take the time to look back.

Call the barracks and find out. The number will be on the RDF website.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 62 Reserve Battalion

jw93 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the recruitment evening is still on in Cathal Brugha Barracks next Tuesday the 8th?

Thanks,
    Jack

Yes, it is an information night on the RDF.

Anyone interested will be put on a waiting list for recruitment for when places become available.

8-15pm

Anyone interested will be put on a waiting list for recruitment for when places become available.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jamesl121

Yes, it is an information night on the RDF.

8-15pm

Well lads i was just thinking about join the RDF, but can u join if you have a Criminal Record :confused: can us let me no really appreciate.:)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

jamesl121 wrote: »
    Well lads i was just thinking about join the RDF, but can u join if you have a Criminal Record :confused: can us let me no really appreciate.:)

No.

Advertisement