Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Hell, even after giving up and googling for it, I can't find it;

Have I dreamed up a Google-proof question?

That must be worthy of a prize :-)

Think of modern-day Irish celebrities with surnames that are, shall we say, not terribly common.

I'll post the answer tomorrow evening if nobody has got it.

Oh and Dadakopf: sorry for gazumping you. I'm sure the rules entitle you to post a question. Go for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Would the surname be Wogan?, read something about this many, many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Somebody Kelly? (as in Henry Kelly?) Flatley? Obviously not Murphy anyway lol :D

Originally posted by Manach
    Would the surname be Wogan?, read something about this many, many years ago.

Correct!!

Charles Wogan, who had the courtesy title of Chevalier, corrupted by his uncouth compatriots to Shoveller.

Google on that name along with Clementina Sobieska and you'll find more information about him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Cool.
    My question, to which boyhood tutor/philosophor did Alexander the Great send an elephant to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Aristotle.

If memory serves, that is the right answer. Ever read any Aristotle Manach?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

24 hours are up Thomas :)

An easy one for you lot:

Who was the leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party after Butt's reign but before Parnells?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was shaw wasnt it?

Originally posted by Corega

Who was the leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party after Butt's reign but before Parnells?

Without Googling, I'm guessing Dillon. ?

• Advertisement

ok, it looks like hes forgotten, lets assume your right hairy homer, your question.

ps. im so right :)

Originally posted by PHB
    ok, it looks like hes forgotten, lets assume your right hairy homer, your question.

No, it looks like you're right. Some rudimentary googling (only for the purposes of verification :-))reveal the name William Shaw, whom I don't ever recall hearing of before but there you are.

Your question?

What[Who] was the reason for Parnell pretending to be at the Irishtown meeting.

[Anwser is the person]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Zachary Taylor

Semi-educated guess: John O'Connor-Power

indeed tis james, you question :)

Ok, which Russian composer wrote his Fifth Symphony as an apology for an earlier work in an effort to placate Stalin?

Originally posted by Zachary Taylor
    Ok, which Russian composer wrote his Fifth Symphony as an apology for an earlier work in an effort to placate Stalin?

What is it with you lot and ****ing Russians?

Are you all studying the same module in college or what?

Not meant to be rude. Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Prokofiev?

Apparently Jamesy was telling me about this before, and seeing that Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev are the only ones I remember taking about. And its not the former. I guess its Prokofiev.

Similar time period to Prokofiev, and from the same city so not a bad guess, but its not right.

Stravinski.

• Advertisement

Or Shostakovich.

It was Shostakovich - he called it "A Soviets Artists Reply to Just Criticism" or something to that effect - all because Pravda took the piss out of his opera, the Lady MacBeth of Mtensk.

That's right. Lady MacBeth of Mtensk was thought too western ("coarseness and vulgarity...dissonance, discord and un-democratic tendencies"), and the story involved an illicit affair so Shostakovich arrested and questioned but fortunately for him (and us all) his interrogator was executed one weekend during his questioning so Shostakovich never saw Siberia, but he was made a "non-person" for a few years until he wrote his Fifth Symphony as an apology. An extremely entertaining apology. Your question DadaKopf.

Ok...

What Briton invented the photographic 'fixing' method of printing, which became the staple method the world over, overtaking the earlier dageurreotype?

William Talbot? I think so anyway - shows what A level Chemistry can do LOL.

Well yeah, William Henry Fox Talbot.

Good good. My question then......hmmmm.....I will be back in about an hour - I want to think of a good one.

Well, that was some hour!

I haven't really given much thought to this but since we were on a musical chain,

What famous people share the terminally significant date of March 5th 1953?

Stalin and someome else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Stalin was a day or two earlier than that afaik?

Anyweh, no idea to the question, gis a hint then!

Advertisement