Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Quiz!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Zachary Taylor

Yes, he wanted to abolish the tricolour in favour of his own heraldic flag, which was just a white flag. Smart man. And in another aside, MacMahon has been accredited with the invention of mayonnaise but being French his name was pronounced McMayon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Zachary Taylor
    And in another aside, MacMahon has been accredited with the invention of mayonnaise but being French his name was pronounced McMayon.

Bloody Hell!! A president who actually did something useful!!!

OK My question (for scabbily guessing the 1916 answer)

Speaking of useless presidents:

What did the S stand for in the case of Harry S Truman, former US president?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hairy Homer
    What did the S stand for in the case of Harry S Truman, former US president?
    Nothing -
    The letter "S" in his name was not an abbreviation. It reflected the family's reluctance to choose between his grandfathers--Anderson Shippe Truman and Solomon Young--in selecting his name.
    But his wife was Elizabeth Virginia Wallace Truman

Originally posted by Victor
    Nothing - But his wife was Elizabeth Virginia Wallace Truman

Correct again. Mind you, that looks suspiciously like it was Google assisted. :-)

Hope we're all playing by the rules.

Hope we're all playing by the rules.
    Rules???? ;)
    Correct again. Mind you, that looks suspiciously like it was Google assisted. :-)
    Assisted yes - I only googled the name, not peculiarities about it, and I actually had to go reading several sites. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Well since no one seems to be forthcoming with a question I have one; Zhukov and what other general proposed Operation Uranus to Stalin with the words "We will have to find an alternative" when scared that Stalin would embark once more on a crusade against Mobile Warfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Byzantine

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    Well since no one seems to be forthcoming with a question I have one; Zhukov and what other general proposed Operation Uranus to Stalin with the words "We will have to find an alternative" when scared that Stalin would embark once more on a crusade against Mobile Warfare?
    Was it Koniev?

Originally posted by Victor
    Rules???? ;)

Yes, Rules. From the very first post on this thread by Mark the Moderator.

As for Rules:

* No Muppetry (Tbh I dont expect any but it has to go down)
    * Please dont spam.
    * Lets not go for impossible questions. Sure you may know how Eisenhower brushed his hair on a Wednesday morning when he had a craving for eggs, but does anyone else? Dont go overboard
    * Each correct answer is awarded one point.
    * Only the first person with the correct answer gets the point. (me snips loophole)
    * Have fun!
    * NO GOOGLING!

What part of NO GOOGLING don't you understand? You're a cad and a bounder and I suggest you be put to death by being beaten about the head with a hard copy edition of Winston Churchill's 'History of the English Speaking Peoples'

Or if we want to be sadistic about it, we could make you read it. :-)

Yes, Rules. From the very first post on this thread by Mark the Moderator.

What part of NO GOOGLING don't you understand? You're a cad and a bounder and I suggest you be put to death by being beaten about the head with a hard copy edition of Winston Churchill's 'History of the English Speaking Peoples'

Or if we want to be sadistic about it, we could make you read it. :-) [/B]
    i love that book!!

What part of NO GOOGLING don't you understand? You're [/B]
    the bit that allows people at home to use (a) yahoo (b) encyclopaedias

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Byzantine
    i love that book!!

****ing long though, isn't it? Wouldn't want it to land on your toes.

Have to admit. Haven't read it. Don't like Churchill.

Answer to question. Was the head of the Knights Templar at the siege of Malta called Valetta?

Its beautifully written. you dont see that kind of english written anymore.Am very interested in the history of the british isles,so the one volume edition is a great read.dont let the author put you off IMHO its not (too) jingoistic at all.
    and close enough : it was Grand master Jean De Valette who was grand master of the Hospitalers during the Turkish attack on Malta.
    He is a hero there to this day.Fort St.Elmo (in present day Valetta) was besieged by approx 6000 turks. inside the fort were about 100 Knights hospitalers and a few hundred local levies.in short anyway the Turks sustained so many casualties trying to take the fortress they were forced to retreat from the island.
    Theres some nice tales of the 70 year old,and badly wounded De Valette insisting on being strapped to a chair,placed at the breach at a wall with sword in hand,to repel more attacks!
    He had an idea aswell of firing the heads of capured Turks from cannons at the nearby enemy encampment as a gesture of defiance.....seems to have worked.

Quoted from Byzantine
    Was it Koniev?
    Nope. It was Rokossovsky, who had been released from prison to fight the Germans. Good guess though.

Originally posted by Byzantine
    IFort St.Elmo (in present day Valetta) was besieged by approx 6000 turks. inside the fort were about 100 Knights hospitalers and a few hundred local levies.in short anyway the Turks sustained so many casualties trying to take the fortress they were forced to retreat from the island..

I was in Malta a few years ago. Valetta is definitely worth seeing, especially if you're interested in history. It has an air of seige about it even now. All the old buildings, even the residential ones, look like fortresses: sheer steep walls with windows up high. I bet burglars really have to earn their money there.

There is a view of Valetta Harbour from a hill across the bay which is one of the most stupendous I have ever seen. It's a huge port with several inlets inside a larger bay. Given that, and the island's strategic position between Sicily and the African mainland, it's no wonder it has been as fought over as it has.

Which reminds me of a question:

What were the nicknames of the three outdated fighter planes, which for a while, comprised the only air force the British had in Malta to fight off the attacks from Italian and German air forces in the last war?

What were the nicknames of the three outdated fighter planes, which for a while, comprised the only air force the British had in Malta to fight off the attacks from Italian and German air forces in the last war?
    got it!
    Faith,Hope,Charity.

Thought you might. :-)

Correct. Your question.

This Q is the best i can think of at moment...
    what religious order were known as "The Hounds Of God"
    clue: they still exist
    its a play on the latin like appearence of their title(oooh)

What type of aircraft were faith hope and charity? Sopwith Camels :D ?

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    What type of aircraft were faith hope and charity? Sopwith Camels :D ?

I think they were Gloster Gladiators. But I'd have to Google to be sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

religious order were known as "The Hounds Of God"
    Would that be the Dominicans.
    If so, my question is,on which Pacific Island did Cpt Cook meet a rather sticky end?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Manach
    Would that be the Dominicans.
    If so, my question is,on which Pacific Island did Cpt Cook meet a rather sticky end?

Was it Tonga?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Tonga, afraid not.
    For Cptn Cook, it was a case of rest in pieces, as I believe he was on the menu in this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Was it Hawaii?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Hawaii is correct as far as I can remember.

Lets go with :

Who was known as the grand old man in english politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

William Gladstone.

Indeed he was, your question?

OK 24 hours have passed. I'm stepping in.

What was the name of the Irish mercenary who in1719 rescued from imprisonment in Innsbruck, Austria the Polish Princess who became the wife of James Edwart Stuart (the Old Pretender to the English Throne) and mother of Bonnie Prince Charlie?

Two hints: His nickname was Shoveller and his surname is that of a modern-day Irish celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Dang.

• Advertisement

Hell, even after giving up and googling for it, I can't find it; all it ever says about the polish princess (besides her name and lineage) is that she was locked up by Charles VI because George I of England was worried that she might sire a son by James who would then come knocking about the kingship of England

Advertisement