Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Compsoc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭mada999

Snowball
    Ciaran been around longer than anyone.

Spacedog has been around the longest ! ? I was here too.

I think we need to get a proper gaming lab set up. In lab I mean we can set up the games the way we like meaning no restrictions and stuff - maybe in a perfect world!

Computer services suck, they are too strict. I was in Dundalk IT there the other day and my bro is studying there too - no novell, no restrictions, no hassle! Freedom of speech, downloads - games!

Like why do they(comp services) even put Real Player on the machines in the 3rd floor LRC if we can't even watch a live stream or play a real file? Muppetry!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by mada999
    Snowball

I think we need to get a proper gaming lab set up. In lab I mean we can set up the games the way we like meaning no restrictions and stuff - maybe in a perfect world!

Computer services suck, they are too strict. I was in Dundalk IT there the other day and my bro is studying there too - no novell, no restrictions, no hassle! Freedom of speech, downloads - games!

Like why do they(comp services) even put Real Player on the machines in the 3rd floor LRC if we can't even watch a live stream or play a real file? Muppetry!

Please, dont get Elexes and Sicnarf started, please...

If you were here from the start you would know that getting our own lab is completely impossible. We've been told, again and again that we can pretty much do what we like so long as it doesnt interfere with the normal function of the computers. Getting a whole load of computers with unrestricted access...well thats just plain crazy.

And yes, I agree. Pure Muppetry by the comp services. But that doesnt change the fact that they are in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

this is stupid, how many times do we have to repeat stuff like this? We are lucky Comp Services even let use the lab with all the noise we make, the rubbish we leave in the room and with all the crap we leave on the machines. We got complaints off Comp Services before for leaving games on the machines and normal people playing them. They blamed other people playing games during college hours on us, just because we left games on the machines d drive. And you think they would be willing to install Games for us or software upgrades? NO... They dont see the need. So why the **** would they bother giving us BRAND NEW machines to **** about with? They wouldnd. Just remember, EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

And yes, I agree. Pure Muppetry by the comp services. But that doesnt change the fact that they are in charge.

What? **** that. They aint the boss of me. I want Charles in charge of me!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭ratman

milking the cow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭ratman

milking the cow

All I'm fúcking sayin' is whats the point in having a gaming society that isn't allowed play games ? (and don't start telling me it's a computer society coz all that happens is people play games or watch family guys)

Thats like having a racing society but no races to goto or a badmintion society wihout out rackets ? thats a load of shít! I'm sick of these computer services merchants.

The student union and the college are trying to promote people getting involved in societies, but whats the point if the society is not allowed do what it has been set up for?

We have to push for these things not just by told "NO" because that would mean more hassle for the computer services people.
    I think the next compsoc(gamesoc) pres should push for all this ****!

IVAN
    If you were here from the start you would know that getting our own lab is completely impossible. We've been told, again and again that we can pretty much do what we like so long as it doesnt interfere with the normal function of the computers. Getting a whole load of computers with unrestricted access...well thats just plain crazy.

I have been here a few years now.

Why don't compsoc buy fúcking removable hard drives like the ones we got (cnoc2) for our projects, then we could put what ever the fúck we like on them ?

Think about it people this is obvious! This should have been done at the start of the year. ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

I am sick of having to reply to this crap. If you read my post you would have seen that I said THIS YEAR (sorry but ppl dont read stuff, anyways if u missunderstod it it might have been my fault 2 so soz).
    Originally posted by Snowball
    ...He has been around since the start, this year...
    I meant that soly regarding this year.I have not been around before so how would i know. Anyways I was at the 2nd CompSoc meeting and I have not missed one untill a month ago and Fransis and Steven were there as much as I was so thats why I said what I said. Spacedog and yourself have not been around that much (not ment as critisisum, just fact. ppl have college commitments so its understandable). If u want to run for a position post it and post why and what u wanna do in the position.

Dude! what world do u like in??? We play computer games. Its not like we do anything constructive or (like stevenk said) "Educational", we don't even do anything for the college image. Why would they want to dedicate a room, computers and resourses for us when they can be spent on a ... NetSoc for example??? they wouldn't. And about the full access?? I would not let me have full access to the network or a single computer why would they??? Not only could someone easily **** up the entire network by accident it could be done on purpose. anyways there is no need. we do fine as we do. Yes it would be ns but it's never going to happen.

All I'm fúcking sayin' is whats the point in having a gaming society that isn't allowed play games ? (and don't start telling me it's a computer society coz all that happens is people play games or watch family guys)

Thats like having a racing society but no races to goto or a badmintion society wihout out rackets ? thats a load of shít! I'm sick of these computer services merchants.

The student union and the college are trying to promote people getting involved in societies, but whats the point if the society is not allowed do what it has been set up for?
    The reason that other societies get so much funding is that they attract potencial students, attract outside invesment and bring up the image of the college, we dont do that.
    We have to push for these things not just by told "NO" because that would mean more hassle for the computer services people.
    I think the next compsoc(gamesoc) pres should push for all this ****!

Why don't compsoc buy fúcking removable hard drives like the ones we got (cnoc2) for our projects, then we could put what ever the fúck we like on them ?

Think about it people this is obvious! This should have been done at the start of the year. ok
    Run for president and then do all the work ur self. No point in moaing about it.
    As for as I have been told (think Ivan told me, not sure though) the removable harddrives thing was tried and they got robbed.

thieving cúnts, i think it's worth another shot though.

• Advertisement

I think ur right. If I am elected I will remind the pres and VP and do my best to get stuff like that implimented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

We got the removable hard-drives the year Spacedog was Pres., i was here to.
    as far as i can remember we got 4 10 Gig that were given to Spacedog and Elexes, and just happened to disappear.

And i'm not running for anything

OMG Mada be practical for fúk sake. Compsoc has come a LONG way from its origins, and yet not thanks to the people who "claim" to have been there from the begining. Elexes is long gone, you + spacedog rarely come to meetings. The people who give out about compsoc saying it only involves playing games and shíte are the ones who dont give a damn about it.

Next year, come to compsoc every Monday + Wednesday like some of the members have (Morpheus, Shinzon) and then ask for something. After coming to meetings for that amount of time you'll have a more realistic attitude. Removable hdds? Oh for the love of god what are you smoking?

Compsoc has 0 budget. Read that again, we dont have ANY MONEY. Computer services and as a result the college, have absolutely no interest in supply equipment for us.

As for others saying we do nothing but play games, I've heard this since the begining of last year. Yet no one is willing to do anything about it. I tried to organise a lecture from a lecturer in UCD, which RedBrick streamed, I was going to display it on the LCD but comp services screwed up and the proxy caught the link so I couldnt open it. But even if I did, no one had ANY interest in it. Its tough love, but we only deal with supply and demand. There is only a demand for games, so we only supply games. All the people who talk about shells and SSH are basically looking for a way to use the colleges resources for warez. I cant talk, I would do the same if I could but I'm more realistic, IT AINT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I would love a box for websites, or mail services or our own internal chat program. But truth be known, its either no wanted by the majority or will be exploited by the minority. It just isnt going to happen. I dont know why I'm hearing repeating myself, over and over again. IT ISNT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Not the best attitude for a Vice-President of the compsoc to have, I know, but I've gone into computer services about 10 dozen times asking for something only to be told No . Sure we can extend it to 10, because the LRC is staying open this year, that long. It alternates depending on how the board decides. Next year it will probably be back to 9 who knows.

Sure we got 9 Gigs this year, because it was the natural progression from last year. Big woop, they give us crumbs and every celebrates thinking we could maybe get more.

I challenge ANYONE to run for President of compsoc saying, yes I will get Head phones, removable HDDS and restrictions removed. I then dare this person to run again next year, or better yet, I dare you to show your face in compsoc.

I, above most people, would love to see compsoc get all these things, but if comp services wont even allow us to get some headphones, or do a new policy for compsoc then why in gods name would they give us any of the other things.

Think about it.

I'm going to create a thread tomorrow for the elections for compsoc positions (Or maybe later tonight, not sure) so keep an eye out for it.

If you wish (Mada/Spacedog) to have your name entered for the election please feel free to post/pm/email your desire to do so. I can be contacted at com20055@itcarlow.ie or you can email me through my profile.
    I think ur right. If I am elected I will remind the pres and VP and do my best to get stuff like that implimented.

P.s. Dara, shut up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

All the people who talk about shells and SSH are basically looking for a way to use the colleges resources for warez

oh please, that is such unbelievable bull****!
    how in the **** would we get any warezing goin on with the firewall in this college? it's unreal. i want a linux box with ssh out, to check my mail, remote file storing (yes, legitimate files), programming, web space. plus it gives people a feel for the linux OS, and it's a pretty damned nice OS too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

even though i have nothing to do with your college i agree with mordeth on this one. SSH out is essential. not everyone uses webmail and need ssh to access their mail on a remote server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm with Mordeth on this one.

I'm an admin on a Compsoc server and of course some of the users use it to get material of dubious origin but theres a hell of a lot of other good uses a server can be put to. Having a shell on a linux box only enables you to get anything if the users have incoming ftp/dcc.

Mordeth himself makes use of these facilities on the server.

I was pointing out on the NetSoc thread that there were inherent problems with having two similar societies but I can actuallty see now why it'll end up that way!

Originally posted by Mordeth
    oh please, that is such unbelievable bull****!
    how in the **** would we get any warezing goin on with the firewall in this college? it's unreal. i want a linux box with ssh out, to check my mail, remote file storing (yes, legitimate files), programming, web space. plus it gives people a feel for the linux OS, and it's a pretty damned nice OS too!

Right, yeah. Thats exactly how the average compsoc members feels.

And thats exactly how they started out in Galway, and then almost overnight it became one of the biggest "warez'ing" colleges in Ireland. Then almost as fast the compsoc got gutted.

Originally posted by sjones
    even though i have nothing to do with your college i agree with mordeth on this one. SSH out is essential. not everyone uses webmail and need ssh to access their mail on a remote server.

A) Shut up
    B) There is already SSH + FTP in the college, why you need to do it through linux is news to me.

all the warez in galway was internal, sfa of it was dl'ed on the server.
    Right, yeah. Thats exactly how the average compsoc members feels.

well this is for netsoc, not compsoc. and entirely different soc with (probably) different people, with different interests! people won't join netsoc unless they *want* to get some networking done, learn about it or talk aboutit or whatever. and a linux box would be incredibly useful for this.
    Then almost as fast the compsoc got gutted.

the compsoc got gutted? .. i was there, and there was no gutting involved. it's still a very active compsoc, it still has a very nice linux box (iirc they are getting a sun server very soon), and they still hold tutorials on many different computer related subjects every now and again.

A) Shut up
    B) There is already SSH + FTP in the college, why you need to do it through linux is news to me

A) keep a civil tongue on my board.

b) there is NOT ssh out in the college, it was blocked a few weeks ago. if you had any interest or ever used it, you probably would know this.

• Advertisement

A) keep a civil tongue on my board.

b) there is NOT ssh out in the college, it was blocked a few weeks ago. if you had any interest or ever used it, you probably would know this.

A) That was a civil tongue.
    B) Its not your board you mod it.
    C) I wasnt aware there was no longer ssh out, yes that is unfair, but I never really used it as I have my shell.
    Those of us who really want it, find a way.

This is not a personal attack on you, and it IS in reference to Compsoc not any hypothetical Netsoc. Its about people requesting more services apart from games and yet neither the desire to get it, nore the desire to use it if it was gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

And thats exactly how they started out in Galway, and then almost overnight it became one of the biggest "warez'ing" colleges in Ireland. Then almost as fast the compsoc got gutted.

NUI,G Compsoc did have a, how would I describe it ... ehm ... "shared system" going for an extended period. There was a rediculous amount of leeching going on with very little contribution from a number of members.

I'd disagree to a certain extent with Mordeth's comments about it being Internal. There were problems where members were stupid enough to waste their own bandwidth.

The committee decided to get rid of it, we did and it was gone. The main reason being that it drained system resources, disk space & network bandwidth and we also decided that it began to represent a significant enough risk of a complaint to warrant removal.

In fact the only trouble of any kind the Soc has had of late (bar one ex-auditor) was an issue with Computer Services about a single user using the machine to transfer 14 Gigs to Cork in one night (download via HTTP from Public_Html). When the relationship is good enough that they mail you and politely request that you sort the problem out then things are pretty good. This also resulted in us re-quota'ing everyone after having been nice for a while.

NUI,G Compsoc had a pretty good year and as Mordeth points out we provide a Linux server and hope to upgrade to a new server for the coming college year.

"shut up" is not a civil tongue, it was a completely unprovoked attack (on two people).
    B) Its not your board you mod it.

and I'll bloody mod you if you're not careful!
    C) I wasnt aware there was no longer ssh out, yes that is unfair, but I never really used it as I have my shell.
    Those of us who really want it, find a way.

yes, same here. but what about others who want to learn but don't know how? linux isn't a club of the elite, it's open to everyone and people who are interested should be able to experiment with it all they want.

Its about people requesting more services apart from games and yet neither the desire to get it, nore the desire to use it if it was gotten.

that's why we have committees, to organise things for the soc members. if you tried things like tutorials (simple things first, like HTML or whatever) it might help people. students who are learning a few programming languages might like a lil help with it some times, (no we don't do projects for anyone, but a little bit of help is grand).

apart from that, maybe a few compsoc beers? in galway we used to have a general soc. meeting every week or two and after that we would all head to the bowling alley for a few beers and a fun game of watching nerds trying to bowl, not everything *has* to revolve around the computers.

we really need a compsoc website for all this, to organise things. let people know what is going on, to suggest things.. etc

(bar one ex-auditor)

hehehe

"shut up" is not a civil tongue, it was a completely unprovoked attack (on two people).

I'm sorry it was sarcasm. I dont really want him/her to shut up.

But if I came across as if I actually wanted him to shut up, then I'm sorry.

Please accept my profound apologies.

yes, same here. but what about others who want to learn but don't know how? linux isn't a club of the elite, it's open to everyone and people who are interested should be able to experiment with it all they want.

Uh, Actually? I thought it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i gonna run for the position of president
    slash pimp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

i'm going for treasurer.........and pimp

marvellous :)

hrm, depending on whoever else is running steven you might just get my vote !
    Uh, Actually? I thought it was

/me bangs his head off the table

Positions as they currently stand :

Running for President : Francis (Sicnarf) Vs. Steve(n) (Stoner)
    Running for Vice-President : Ciaran (Ivan) Vs. Cillian (Mordeth)
    Running for Secretary : Aidan (Ratman) Vs. Dara (Snowball)
    Running for Treasurer : Willie (I_am_Dogboy) Vs. Trevor(Dempsey)

Anyone else wants to run, please contact me asap (I'm looking at your Mada/Spacedog).

• Advertisement

sure I'll run for vice-president :)

its always nice to have a bit of healthy competition

let the games begin!

Advertisement