Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom iStream Starter Launched

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ro
    Is that true Muck or is it an example? I can't understand the logic of installing an ATM connection if it's only 512k. Do they have different PVCs for each of the products?

Contention ratios won't work if an exchange has 48 users and there is only a 512k pipe for all of them. There needs to be a 2Mb or 4Mb pipe before the contention doesn't interfere with the end user. I don't understand the logic of only installing a 512k line at this stage either as there isn't much of a cost saving to Eircom if they install an E1 or an E3 - they own the cable.

It is true and you are on the right track.

If Exchange X has ....say

1 x RASDSL DSLAm 50 users 512k out the back
    1 x DSL DSLAm 50 users 512k out the back (eircon classic we'll call this)
    1 x DSL DSLAm 20 users1024k out the back (eircon business we'll call this)
    1 x DSL DSLAm 20 users1024k out the back (eircon uncapped we'll call this)

Thereby offering the full Eircon DSL product mix, non?

Add 128 upstream x 2 and 256 upstream x 2 . The upstream, initially 128k on a residential is also contended 50:1

Thats 140 users. 4Mbit or so.

Ro correctly points out that telcos install fibre in either,

34Mbit SDH configuration

or

155Mbit ATM configuration.

no DSLAM will rely on Copper to backhaul the contended links.

The bandwidth they are saving from their ADSL enabled exchange to their NOC in Dublin is miniscule. , they could lower the contention and throttle from teh NOC out and install more DSLAMS onto existing fibre into existing buildings and using their existing (crap) copper ..as far as I make it out, and Ro too from the look of it.

Their savings, if any, from their mangy contention rations are on international bandwidth, most of the internet is not in Ireland because the E-Tub strategy hasn't brought it here ....yet.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

People who live too far away from the exchange will get 256k download instead of 512k.

Considering this, is it fair that we should pay the same money as those who are getting the better connection?

Originally posted by Terminator
    People who live too far away from the exchange will get 256k download instead of 512k.

Considering this, is it fair that we should pay the same money as those who are getting the better connection?

Jeez Terminator. You are guaranteed half speed minimum. Guaranteeing half the rated speed is the first time that Eircom have admitted t product is unusable below a certain point.

People on analogue lines are guaranteed 2400 when others can get 51,000-52,000 and get no discount for their crappy lines, the most expensive in Europe. Bt that logic, and the admission abovbe, no line in Ireland qwitha nominal rating of 56,000 (56k modem) should deliver less than 28,000 EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Regnak

I just talked to Margaret in Eircom and was asking about the length of cable supplied in the self starter pack. Anyhow - I'll need an extension lead to tack up to my bedroom - I assume it's standard rj11 phone cable ?

Anyhow - I'm only interested in the starter pack to save money AND get my own Wireless ADSL device and she said that Eircom will NOT provide the starter pack without a modem !!!! I wasn't sure of this last week but there's no way I'm paying their mad prices, you can get the Engineer to visit without buying the modem to install yours I suppose but that's €200 !!!

They must be mad, I know they want to launch ASAP but they are insisting you HAVE to purchase 1 of THEIR modems in the starter pack and no one elses ! Daft bunch !

I'm heading page to page 2 of this thread and am going to write that damn letter right now !! Where's that stamp..??

Mike.

Ok I guess I'm being pedantic but the bulk of their sales spin is all about the massive benefits of 512k download when the reality is most people will only get half that. Shouldn't they be selling two products here?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Regnak

They must be mad, I know they want to launch ASAP but they are insisting you HAVE to purchase 1 of THEIR modems in the starter pack and no one elses ! Daft bunch !

I'm heading page to page 2 of this thread and am going to write that damn letter right now !! Where's that stamp..??

Mike.

First ring 1800512128 and complain to the supervisor.

Ask the Supervisor, her name is Emily, who her manager is if she will not resolve the issue and straighten Margaret out.

If Emily won't do it find the name of Emilys manager (in full ) and their contact details.

You must escalate until they refuse to take a call. Do tell us the names and numbers.

Comreg complaints are Here so save the stamp once you get rebuffed.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by Regnak
    she said that Eircom will NOT provide the starter pack without a modem !!!! I wasn't sure of this last week but there's no way I'm paying their mad prices, you can get the Engineer to visit without buying the modem to install yours I suppose but that's €200 !!!

Mike.

Per Jacqueline of ComReg:

"Eircom can NOT require the purchase of their own hardware - under their license agreement"

I have asked for the specific regulation covering this and they will be getting back to me asap. I will reort back here with that info.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Good stuff Piliger. I was wondering if I was going to be proved wrong. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

At this stage it might be worth the committee making an official complaint about this practise in light of the many reports of it we are seeing on this and the Broadband forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

There is no way Eircom can force anyone to buy a specific product along with their crappy RADSL which hopefully no one will pay for anyway, it simply make no sence!
    If they could do this then anyoen could and any time you bought any service which the provider could prove that you would not be able to use without any extras they could force you to buy what ever they want to sell, not even evil Eircon have the power to do this.
    ALso this is not written anywhere on the site, so i say it is just poorly trained phone people saying this to get rid of you!
    Last there was alot of talk about the 4 GB cap beeing download and upload, but the webpage at Ericon clearly say there is a 4GB download, nothing about it being total trafic which would the first company doing this anyway!

Seriously why do people care about this, how many are really gonna pay their hard earned cash on something as crappy as this, please.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Chill

I'll probably sign up with Eircom.

My last phone bill was over €200 - almost all Internet.

If I get the new service from Eircom, my next bill (all up, including net, rental etc.) will be lower.

And I'll have broadband!

And, if I'm honest about it, I'm impatient and I want broadband right now! 4Gig is plenty for me. I might buy my own kit though. I can't be too generous to them.

They can have me for 12 months and then I'll check what else is on offer.

And I don't hate Eircom quite as much as many of you guys do. In fact I don't think about them very much. They're just the phone company. I'm not on any mission to ruin them, nor do I suffer from the slightest amount of brand loyalty or inertia. I'll use Eircom while it suits me and drop them as soon as it doesn't. I will, however, always let them know when they fail to provide an adequate service. Both as fair warning, and when I give my reason for dumping them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

would you not just have switched to esatbt's netsmart or utvip internet to save spending almost €200 euro on eircom's dialup. don't get me wrong i use eircom myself but i don't spend that type of money on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Chill

Only my last bill was €200. I've just moved house & before that I had IOL NoLimits.

I dithered while deciding whether to bring IOL with me or go straight to Istream! While I dithered, I used Eircom !! Being so used to IOL, I didn't think too much about how long I was spending online. My IOL NoLimits a/c has now been closed so its gone forever apparently!

If there was no sign of broadband, I would definitely be signing up with UTV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I was lucky enough to have had two ADSL trials last year, one at home and one in the office.

I am still fully wired up in both places and I was allowed to keep the modem after the second trial.

So, all I need is to be switched on at the exchange and sent a copy of the latest software.

I'm told that this will cost me €199, ".....because a lot of work will have to be done at the exchange." Presumably, exactly the same amount of work will have to be done at the exchange for someone availing of the €99 package?

I would happily pay €99 for someone to trip a few switches and post me a CD, but not €199.

A scam!

I'm going to wait. This is a joke.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I notice many posts here from people who failed in the 'online' test. I too failed the online test but I rang them up, they did a line test and i passed. So I suggest folks do not give up if you do fail the online line test.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Just posting to tell you of a price contrast. Recently a friend was over in Belguim, he brought back for me the Official Belgacom ADSL package, it costs €40 and with it you get the Alcatel USB Modem, 2 splitters, the installation CD and the copper phone line. It was an excellent, you wudnt even get that top quality modem online here for that price, but i still have to pay the €100 activation cost, even though i dont need the anything, just it to be activated :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Yelnahs thats a ****en disgrace. Thats the slickest deal for what you got and jus goes to show Eircom dont give a toss about their customers...just $$$$ which is ok to an extent, but the fact that their just incredibly overpriced makes it even more annoying. If you dont need those splitters, i can buy them off you, i may need more than the standard two which come in the pack.:ninja:

hmmm i dunno, ill probably give em to yah andy coz eircom will be giving me a splitter anyway with the installation so ill just use that one. but ye its the best deal i got in a long time, so sweet :D

So..... Muck or any1??? When i ring up on friday to order it, will it be activated that day and then ill be sent the stuff out to me at a l8er d8, if thats the case i can start using it on Friday, or do i have to w8 around for Paperwork or 2-3 for activation or what?

Much obliged

www.yelnahs.tk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

All good about the splitters, see if you need them first, you may need them for whatever reason first.

Good question, i want to know that too. Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I seem to be in the same boat as you, Yelnahs. Having been on the DSL trials in January 2002, I have a splitter box on the wall. I want to buy my own DSL router, so I phoned up and asked Corrin if she'd let me get the service for less than 99 euro if i chose not to get the pack with installation CD, microfilters, etc. She said that was an interesting question, and she'd call me back after the weekend with the answer.

So on monday, she phoned and told me that the installation charge was 199 euro! I was kinda confused and asked if she meant the engineer-install. She said yes. I asked if the self-install 99 euro package was still available. She said yes. I told her my original question was if i could forego the hardware package and save money on installation, and she kinda muttered that she doesn't think that's possible.

Talk about losing the plot!

mo

PS - i've not been paying attention for a while. anything on a UTV DSL package yet?? (please keep replies to this question brief, and then get back on topic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Advice Please.

From reading here I'm pretty sure that when I ring up Eircom on Friday morning I am gonna be told, 'You must order on our online store Sir!' I say, 'but I dont want yer crappy modem I wanna linksys 54G!'. Eircom say 'Oh you cant do that Mr Gremlin'. Is there anything I can answer em with? I understand that comreg has said eircom cannot force their crappy expensive modem down our throat? Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

as far as i'm aware, the 99 or 199 installation charge doesn't include a modem anyway. you have to buy that seperately at a hundred and something for a usb one or two hundred and something for an ethernet one. you can indeed buy your own one separately.

in my post, i was just talking about the other crud they give you in the starter pack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

this may not have a clear cut answer but is a usb or ethernet modem better, talking into account that both one has both a free pci or free usb slot and both could nearly do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

any1 have any information on whether this is likely to have higher/lower latency than other DSL products by eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

If both the USB port and modem are USB 2.0 then it'll have excellent performance. If it's USB 1.0, then I'd plump for ethernet.

To be honest, I'd tend to go for ethernet anyway because I have more than 1 machine at home and 10/100 Mbps switch allows very fast interconnect with the slowest part being the internet access (56k!).

They seem to have updated their system as my line passed just now and it didn't pass last week. They took my name down and said they'd be in touch to set it up.

i have 4 lines, with the one number, so do i need 4 splitters??? if so can i get the 4 off eircom or do they still charge you seperate line rental for one phone line split 4 ways???? I CONDONE the illegal use of one fone line for 4 fones and no1 shud do it without paying eircom, that is presuming it is still illegal? a graci.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Yelnahs
    i have 4 lines, with the one number, so do i need 4 splitters??? if so can i get the 4 off eircom or do they still charge you seperate line rental for one phone line split 4 ways???? I CONDONE the illegal use of one fone line for 4 fones and no1 shud do it without paying eircom, that is presuming it is still illegal? a graci.

What are you on about man? Are you saying you have 1 phone line but 4 different phone jacks? Nothing wrong or illegal about using 4 different phones on the same line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by Terminator
    They seem to have updated their system as my line passed just now and it didn't pass last week. They took my name down and said they'd be in touch to set it up.

Note that the "old" products would have required your line to "synch up" at 1Mbps DS /256kbps US even if you were going for the 512/128kbps product.
    The new Eircom/EsatBT prpduct(s) is between 256 and 512 kbps DS / 128kbps US, which does not pose as high a requirement as previously - this is why your line, which probably hasn't changed, passed this time.

/MK

• Advertisement

Yeah I figured it was a software thing. Was pretty relieved to pass though. D15 has no other viable hi speed options

Advertisement