Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

networking society

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Well, I suppose if the people in Carlow feel that the best way to get a proper NetSoc is to set up a seperate Society then that's probably the way to go.

I get this impression that some people think that a NetSoc should have full acces to a lab. Really, to begin with all you need is some interested people to get it rolling and a well looked after server.

The other reason for having a seperate Netsoc that I can see would be the possibility of getting reasonably strong departmental support for a Netsoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Well, I suppose if the people in Carlow feel that the best way to get a proper NetSoc is to set up a seperate Society then that's probably the way to go.

I get this impression that some people think that a NetSoc should have full acces to a lab. Really, to begin with all you need is some interested people to get it rolling and a well looked after server.

The other reason for having a seperate Netsoc that I can see would be the possibility of getting reasonably strong departmental support for a Netsoc.

If all thats needed is a few interested people then your probably better off trying to set it up with compsoc. You have interested people to get it rolling and we're due some more funding next year with which we were supposed to get a game or memory card for the PS2 but if there is the demand then we'll try get a box set up at some location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by loismustdie
    snowball, if you want to do something other than games why don't you set up your own society and stop criticising the one that ciaran set up and that you've been a part of all year
    I'm not criticising just stating the reality of it. its not criticising. Also as much as Ciaran has done for CompSoc he did not set it up. its been around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

Reading the other thread about "the future of compsoc", it seems another main use for compsoc is warez. Well, its completely idiotic to expect computer services to help you out, if you intend on using their resources for warezing, as part of a college society. If you are setting up this netsoc, you need to make it clear that the server will not be used for storing warez on, that you will not allow people to put it on their webpage, etc.

I think you should setup a netsoc as a separate society, and break completely with the warez, and almost completely with the games. For games, you could organise byopc lans, or lans in netcafes or something. It is very important to keep games to a small part of your society though. You need to think about a reasonably broad membership, not of all of whom are into games.

While our society in maynooth was off the network ( for about a year and a half ), one of the only things we did was organise lans. Now while some of these were good fun, there were **** all people there normally, and it was always the same old people. I made the point several times that there was no point in having the lans under the banner of the networking society, since it was doing the society no good whatsoever, ordinary members weren't interested in going, and if they did go, they were pretty much ignored.

You need to start looking now for people who are interested in computers, in learning more about operating systems, programming, and helping other people. Your society needs to be a helpful environment, where people can login, learn and get help if they need it. You need to organise interesting tutorials and talks, and promote the hell out of the whole enterprise. Get some non-nerds on boards, sell it to the non-nerds also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by Gerry
    Reading the other thread about "the future of compsoc", it seems another main use for compsoc is warez. Well, its completely idiotic to expect computer services to help you out
    I think ur right but also the fact that CompSoc is all about games at the mo. thats also a big problem probably
    I think you should setup a netsoc as a separate society, and break completely with the warez, and almost completely with the games.
    I think completly from games. I recon (personaly) no games in the society room at all.
    You need to start looking now for people who are interested in computers, in learning more about operating systems, programming, and helping other people. Your society needs to be a helpful environment, where people can login, learn and get help if they need it. You need to organise interesting tutorials and talks, and promote the hell out of the whole enterprise. Get some non-nerds on boards, sell it to the non-nerds also.
    Off the top of my head I can think of 10 ppl that would be faithfull members and there is 2 networking courses so... there would be a nice membership. Also other computer courses would probably have a mild interest. The computer app course might be interested.
    Lulu?? Gogo?? what do u 2 think? would ur course be interested??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Eh dont forget us in WIT...

http://snet.wit.ie

We have run off a very low spec machine for a while now with no problems (bit slow at times) so i wouldn't get too hung up on hardware you can work on that once you have a base.

We run OpenBSD. Theses daya we have several machines (including an E450) membership was slow for a while but recently we have been in demand (esp for 4th year projects)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭ratman

Originally posted by loismustdie
    snowball, if you want to do something other than games why don't you set up your own society and stop criticising the one that ciaran set up and that you've been a part of all year

don't know how i never copped this until now hahahaha you ****ing dumbass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

as you know i never listen to anything that comes out of his mouth because whether or not it's over boards it's spam spam spam spam spam so i just posted back for the sake of it ratman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭ratman

you'd hear me if i was saying " i found 4 bars"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

did you read my post?
    did you think about your answer?
    do you know what you're talking about?
    did you look up whether or not i'd hear you or not?

some people are just unbearable to listen to, others aren't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

Rat i think every1 would of heard you if u found 4bars.
    but we can't talk about that.
    As for the NetSoc, its not a matter of joining or not joining it to CompSoc, they will be seperate, there will be a demand, esp from networking students.
    and doubtfull that any of us will have a say in it.

Advertisement