Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking society

Options
  • 01-04-2003 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

ok people as most of u know, i finished my course last week and am now looking for work experience.
    there is 1 or 2 jobs for students from my class ONLY as work-experience to set up a networking society.
    i have an interview friday morning in which i will have to have a 5 min presentation and then 10 mins of questions.
    i have to come up with what i would bring to the job.

So people i want to know what you would want in a networking society?
    And Ivan, no games

any suggests welcome

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a linux box with accounts, and ssh out!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Access to a lab in which demonstrations of networking could be given.

And also access to a room where private lessons with the female members can be given in the need from some extra tuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Tutorials or some demostration of making cables, small networks and wiring sockets........9 and 25 pin etc.........or a networking degree where you actually do some networking....That would be sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'm with mord, linux w/ ssh would rock!

also a box with a load of shared storage be cool G: drives are peasentry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

the actual physical setup of network is what a lot of people think this course is about when they apply for it... i think some actual practical work in setting up networks mightn go astray... also some work on alternative operating systems would be good.. i dunno if youve done that or not yet in third year?
    sorry but a box of with shared files is asking for trouble.. this is not the place to talk about it

we had something similar in galway last year, but it was taken down near the end of the year.. i don't think it would go down well, not for warez and suchlike anyway.

however a hundred megs or so per user (maybe a euro or two entrance fee to cover this?) wouldn't go astray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i think that a lab with networking equipment that we can "play" with ( that is figure out ). that is routers,bridges and various other networking equipment.

could we possibly bum the old PC's from C303 (the celeron 600's)?

i would give as much support as my free time would support to it HeadCase if you are intrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

thank u for ur suggestions people, i'll be in carlow 2moro.

and this will be college funded, so will be very well monitored!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

maybe access to a networking lab where we could set up networks and admin them. Set up other stuff like web servers/farms and other stuff like that.

Also maybe support from the industry so that we could go on outings to see how networks are set up in the feild and configured

• Advertisement

i think the way it is going to go is:

people log on, u have your e-mail, their will be some sort of chat forum, like this.
    and equipment for demos and **** like that.
    i talks from guest speakers.
    i think it will improve the hands aspect of networking course.
    don't know if it will be just for networking students or everyone.
    hope everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

that sounds promising.
    do you have any idea what level of access to the equipment we will have ( if any )
    or do you know anything more yet?

i know **** all. just going on what i have been told to put into my prestation

Originally posted by Snowball
    Also maybe support from the industry so that we could go on outings to see how networks are set up in the feild and configured

[sarcasim] Oh Goodie a field trip [/sarcasim]

i'm driving! Hate Fúckin buses!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I dont understand the need to go set up an entirely new society.

Why not just do all of those things under compsoc? But hey, whatever do what you want.

thats a good Idea Ivan. Ivor?? what do u think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

it would fit in very well with compsoc, thats if compsoc held its named value. compsoc is really networked-computer-games-with-noise-and-verbal-fighting-society.
    the networking society would have to be held on a different night to avoid clashes with people yelling "you bastard dont panzer me" if you know what i mean... had a good chat with ivor and networking society sounds very interesting.. hopefully it gets going

Every night is shout night in 307. Maybe the expansion of compsoc to another room and put networking in one and gamers in another.

there are other nights than monday and wednesday :) gaming can stay on then, and if people want to do other-network related things (whatever they may be) then they can hold other things on different nights

*shrug*

• Advertisement

think if that hapend though I would have to choose between compsoc and netsoc. I can only stay up late in carlow so many night a week and 2 is my max at the mo. and I use wed and fri at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well from what they allowed the old networking soc to do last time

there was no ssh out afaik
    the chat thing was also a no no
    they barly were given a pc to use

also keep it seperate and away from compsoc as ull get a budget all to yourself if your lucky and could buy a pc then . mord ask flamegrill about it when ya see him he will tell you all about it

aye, he mentioned it before...

hopefully we can get SSh out this time, it's bloody useful! 4 megs is not bloody enough on my g: drive

elexes has a point. its own budget. sound like a plan. Ivor, go get em'

Originally posted by Mordeth
    aye, he mentioned it before...

hopefully we can get SSh out this time, it's bloody useful! 4 megs is not bloody enough on my g: drive

you see Mordeth they give you that to put in college related stuff.
    That does not include the stuff you download in college but only the stuff you use........wait for it..........this may be a foreign word to you..............but here goes.... they stuff you use in "CLASS"!

Shak1's ajenda for the day... slag Mordeth.

I will help where i can ;)

Originally posted by Snowball
    Shak1

HE DID IT AGAIN!! ! FFS!!!!!!
    Spell it right ya Muppet!!
    ITS SHAYK1 aarrrrrghgghghgh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Originally posted by ShayK1
    HE DID IT AGAIN!! ! FFS!!!!!!
    Spell it right ya Muppet!!
    ITS SHAYK1 aarrrrrghgghghgh

Mmmm.. sounds familiar. ITS HOMER....aarrrrrghgghg ITS HOMER.

I love when the Simpsons mirror real life.

i don't remember that one! and i thought i'd seen them all!

• Advertisement

something to do with mister burnes.

Advertisement