Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Residential ADSL

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I know they say 2.5km, but the real distance for ADSL can be up to 5km.

I certainly know that ADSL was tested to that limit and demonstrated to EsatBT before they bought the solution.

Of course, you get degradation the further over the 2.5km you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Paulw
    I know they say 2.5km, but the real distance for ADSL can be up to 5km.

Yes but the gits are so inflexible about distances, I am 2.8k from the exchange (phone line wise) and they refused me, even though I said I was willing to sign something saying I accepted there might be degredation in speed :(

Just had a go of the 1mb dsl from esat tonight...it truly is a beautiful thing :)

Well, I've been using the service now for a good few days. I find it very good. Yeah you can notice the "idle" disconnects, but it's easy to reconnect again.

Speeds seem fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

I've been using the service since Friday, and I've been using Norton's Connection Keep Alive. So far I haven't been disconnected once.
    However, I haven't left the connection active overnight, but I woud think the connection would be dropped when esat change my ip.
    I've been using Esats new DSL service for multiplayer gaming and I reguarly get a ping of between 30 and 50 ms on a wide variety of of Game Spy servers.

Also, the service is advertised as 256 downstream, 128 upstream. But, I've conected everytime at 320, 160. I'm not complaining, but would be interested to know if your getting te same Paulw?

Nuno

Originally posted by Nuno

Also, the service is advertised as 256 downstream, 128 upstream. But, I've conected everytime at 320, 160. I'm not complaining, but would be interested to know if your getting te same Paulw?

Nuno

Alas I think that's a glitch with the modem, it'll report a faster connection speed than you're actually getting. Go to one of those internet speed test sites and tell us what that reports will ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Yeah, I'm getting the same speed reported. I did check some of those speed web sites, and they report 256. Seems fine.

As for my disconnects ... I forgot to turn off my own auto-disconnect for idle. Since I've done that, I haven't noticed a disconnect.

Are you getting many hits on your firewall? :)

Yeah, getting a good few actually.

I'm using ZoneAlarm. I was thinking of getting BlackIce though.

Anyone recommend a software firewall ????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

Alas I think that's a glitch with the modem, it'll report a faster connection speed than you're actually getting. Go to one of those internet speed test sites and tell us what that reports will ya?

etho_ you were right. I got an average download on a 1 meg file of 252.2
    I'm getting quie a few hits on my firewall aswell. I'm using Norton System Wirks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Its not a glitch in the modem - remember this is ppp-over-ATM.

The 320, 160 speeds you see are at the ATM layer (i.e. the adsl modem trains with the DSLAM at the ATM layer).

The "safe" estimate for the overhead of IP over ATM is approximately 20%.

Now look how that fits in.....

20%(320) = 64
    320 - 64 = 256

20%(160) = 32
    160 - 32 = 128

Now according to http://www.dante.net/operations/ip-eff.html, it is usually a little less, anything between 15 and 20 depending on the setup of the ATM network. So the actual IP rates are running at close to the specs of the service(256/128).

There may be a few k overhead depending on the setup of Esat's ATM network which could explain any variances you see.

Advertisement