Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back MacGyver!(is that how it's spelt?)

Options
  • 24-02-2003 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Is it just me or is anyone else out there strung out for a bit of MacGyver action?.
    I can't watch that Stargate crap because it just reminds me of what I'm missing.
    It hasn't been re-run for a very long time.I wonder has that got anything to do with the fact that Anderson is doing Stargate now.I don't know how these things work but it's possible old shows may be blocked (payed off) so as not to cause any conflict with the new characters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I'd love to see MacGyver back on the box.
    Q. What was his first name? ;)

Surely it could be shown instead of Airwolf, which, it hurts me to say, as it is a classic, is pure rubbish...apart from the intro music of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

SO, which one of you is Patty, and which is Selma? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Screw that, i want Matlock :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dr Funkenstein

Lol lads :)........

btw cheers for putting me on to that Airwolf tune coyote...good synth 'n' snare stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Watch the MacGyver pilot today...got a little misty if im honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Originally posted by Space_Coyote

Angus, I believe ;)
    Originally posted by Dr Funkenstein
    Is it just me or is anyone else out there strung out for a bit of MacGyver action?.
    I can't watch that Stargate crap because it just reminds me of what I'm missing.

Yeh definately, be a good series to show again.
    Come on! Stargate isn't crap...

There's a new MacGyver film being made I think, but not with Richard Dean Anderson - some different actor not sure who.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I have to admit I pi$$ed myself laughing a couple of years ago when I actually found out that his first name was..........

.....wait for it.....

ANGUS! :eek:

Yes, Angus McGyver! LMFAO! Oh sweet Jesus..... oh god..... oh no.... please..... laughing too.... hard.... it.... hurts! :D

No wonder everybody just called him by his surname. What sort of an action hero is called Angus for f**ks sake?
    Surely it could be shown instead of Airwolf, which, it hurts me to say, as it is a classic, is pure rubbish...apart from the intro music of course.

Ah now, come on. Airwolf was pure class. I used to love that show and, you're right, the theme tune has to go down as an all-time classic. But, strangely enough as we're on the subject of weird names, what the f**k was with the name Stringfellow Hawke? I mean, come on, if Angus McGyver was bad Stringfellow is just taking the pi$$. Am I the only one who instantly associates the name Stringfellow Hawke with that ageing, long blonde-haired, leopard-skin wearing freak, Peter Stringfellow? Surely other people must have that thought pop into their minds from time to time when they watch Airwolf? Please, please tell me you do. I dont want to sound like the only weirdo who does! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

I used to love McGyver, how many things could you do with a match stick and a piece of gum??
    They repeat all the others - Airwolf, Knightrider, the A-Team why can't they repeat this genius piece of work!
    I reckon we should start a petition and send it to RTE

BRING BACK MCGYVER

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I'll sign it. All i have now is that brilliant theme tune to listen to and I'm just itching to see it again.

They better not make a film without RDA in the lead role. He is MacGyver

I had the very same idea myself about starting a petition...great minds and all that.
    Me and my lab monkeys Dr Fred and Dr Neil carried out some experiments last night based on your observations.Here's what happened:

To solve the Matlock/Macgyver problem we spliced the two to please everyone-
    http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/fantasyretro/mac2.jpg

Here's what Stargate should have been-
    http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/fantasyretro/Cast_Uniforma.jpg

This is an illustration of what aidan_dunne sees ,and possibly others, when he watches Airwolf-
    http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/fantasyretro/airwolf2.jpg

I'll keep yiz posted on any further experiments. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Nice work Dr. Funkenstein, keep 'em coming! How about a Fame!/Grange Hill montage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by evie
    I used to love McGyver, how many things could you do with a match stick and a piece of gum??
    They repeat all the others - Airwolf, Knightrider, the A-Team why can't they repeat this genius piece of work!
    I reckon we should start a petition and send it to RTE

BRING BACK MCGYVER

My father believes that McGyver was the best thing ever. I think it had really widespread appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

Originally posted by evie
    how many things could you do with a match stick and a piece of gum??
    So true. I only ever saw two episodes of McGyver. In both of them he was tied up, but used his shoes to escape and save the day!

"Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitational pull!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I really enjoyed the early shows of McGyver. Kind of an action version of the Great Egg Race (another great show)

Later on though it turned all sentimental and preachy. Towards the end I seem to remember he was working out of a drop in centre for kids or something similar. And this was the man who stopped a meltdown with chewing gum and taught us how to turn pine cones into hand grenades??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

what a weird show it was....
    but classicly great!

"There's something different about you today B.A...but I can't quite put my finger on it".
    http://www.iol.ie/~fcorp/fantasyretro/img/A-Tease.jpg

I'll do that Fame!/Grange Hill meld just for you ozpass.
    Laters :)

Look what I found! It's the RTÉ TV Schedules e-mail address, so bombard them with your e-mails about McGyver! Go on , we can start a revolution!

press@rte.ie

Isn't it great??!! Remember solidarity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

oh McGuyver....

It was so funny when he got into a sitch'ation - cause the 'thinking' music would start up , and then the camera would pan around to show us all those conveniently placed combustables...and then...DAN DAN DAN DANNNNN *IDEA*!

what a guy. i wish i had ideas.
    :D

So how's our petitioning going?? I trust that we are all glued to the RTÉ website, plaguing them with e-mails??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

We meet Mac for the first time...rambling on about a horse or something :)

mac1.jpg

wheres...waldo

Mac's first trap..awesome

trap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Sent a mail to RTE, it will take them 3 months to reply,

But Mc was a deadly tv program...

Bring it back........................

Here's my e-mail to RTÉ!

To whom it may concern,

I have noticed a trend among myself and my friends of discussing past episodes of a show called Mc Gyver. We expressed, collectively, a desire to see this show again and feel that a repeat of said show would bring high ratings and much happiness to much of the population of Ireland.

We would much appreciate it if you considered this action, it would be to your benefit and to ours!

Thanks in advance,
    Yours,
    Evie

Well.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    Angus, I believe ;)
    ANGUS!
    ROFL :D:D:D:D

gogo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gray_Gonzalez

Hi.. I'm also a no. 1 fun of Mc Gyver. since then i watch every episode just to know what really his first name.

I remember that there a scene when he was captured by the terrorist and asked him What his name?.. and he answered Menemis Mc Gyver..

funny :D
    Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus, this is an old thread!

I didn't realise there were so many different ways of (mis)spelling MacGyver!
    And yes, his firstname was Angus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

got season 1+2 at Christmas, must start watching a few of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gray_Gonzalez

Hi.. I'm also a no. 1 fun of Mc Gyver. since then i watch every episode just to know what really his first name.

I remember that there a scene when he was captured by the terrorist and asked him What his name?.. and he answered Menemis Mc Gyver..

funny :D
    Peace

Menemis Mac Gyver.. My name is MacGyver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

His name was John McGyver. Bring it back! Make an explosive out of tablets or fix a radiator with an egg. Or that Egyptian episode with the eye and the spear.

Pete! The Phoenix foundation! Its all coming back. The Soviet mind-reading guy. The Philoshphers stone epiode.

Im breaking down crying remembering all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Laplandman

MacGyver is the bee's knees!
    Some folks are looking for submissions for a book on MacGyverisms here:
    http://www.whatwouldmacgyverdo.com
    If he had his trusty duct tape and swiss army knife he could MacGyver together some way to get himself back on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

MacGyver ftw :) he was on the Simpsons last week.

Advertisement