Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg is pleased to welcome eircom's revised FRIACO product pricing

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Muck
    Lets imagine that Rural Wicklow, denied the unfairly subsidised Broadband it needs because it is unfair to the downtrodden Dublin tax payer, suddenly realises that the same Dublin taxpayer depends on Wicklow for its water......ALL of its water.

Wanna go there Ardmore?
    I didn't mention tax payers. Eircom/Valentia isn't a state asset anymore, for better or worse. I don't want to get into us Vs them at all. But if we took 40 years to get electricity to the Black Valley, I'm not going to loose sleep if they can't get broadband for 5 or 10 years.

Emotive language about 80% of the geographic area is propaganda. Don't indulge in it unless you are willing to have it blow up in your face. Don't expect the same audience to complain about the highest line rental in Europe and lack of coverage to low population areas at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ardmore
    I didn't mention tax payers. Eircom/Valentia isn't a state asset anymore, for better or worse. I don't want to get into us Vs them at all. But if we took 40 years to get electricity to the Black Valley, I'm not going to loose sleep if they can't get broadband for 5 or 10 years.

Emotive language about 80% of the geographic area is propaganda. Don't indulge in it unless you are willing to have it blow up in your face. Don't expect the same audience to complain about the highest line rental in Europe and lack of coverage to low population areas at the same time.

Really...I never mentioned the tax payer either.

It is not a population density thing, otherwise Sweden and Finland, having lower population densities than we do by factors of 3 and 4, would charge 3 or 4 times what Eircom do.

They charge 60% of what Eircom charge for a line. Universally.

Time we all got something back for our investment, decent analogue modem speeds for all are intricately tied in with teh online experience that FRIACO may or may not help to deliver.

With decent copper, the demand for Broadband, at reasonable prices, will materialise pretty fast IMO

FRIACO is kinda pointless at 16.8k

Broadband is simply impossible on that kinda rubbish.

I have said before that the ESB universally delivers a core voltage between 200 and 240 nationally. 220v + or - 10% , including in the black valley in Kerry. They do not use distance as an excuse for shoddy workmanship and inferior SLA's. Why should Eircom.

Universal Service does exactly what it sez on the can.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Dublin taxpayer depends on Wicklow for its water......ALL of its water.

Yeah buts it fecking well doesnt rain money in Dublin. Plus its gotta run down hill sometime. We can drink from the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Hornet
    Hmmm, maybe more an example of comparing Apples with Oranges? ;)

(The development of infrastructure for bringing water to Dublin is not mainly being payed by the people in Wicklow and one could assume that the people in Wicklow will benefit from the infrastructural development as well. With fibre rings in Gweedore and Bandon it is a different story!)

I'm with Ardmore on this.

-Hornet
    I'm there too, and I have problems with the provision of all services (eg transport,sewage,water) to dispersed rural settlements. The Buchanan report should have been implemented 30 years ago, and we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now ( the over development of Dublin, and the underdevelopment of other urban areas.)
    If you want to live in the middle of nowhere fine, I don't want to pay for your view though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Hey...I'm only about FIVE MILES from said Dublin Water supply...and worse, I got INDEPENDENT WELL...and an evil, ingenious mind...

*evil chuckles*

Ho-k...

What's it worth not to tip the chamber pot?

Confer with Eircon, Esat and anyone else who's employees tap the supply, take your time, let me know what you decide...

No seriously...to quote a lady I was talking to tonight, about this specific area...

"Beware, remember how long it took to complete electrification"

Strangely, my phone line is better than most Dublin Phone lines, probably because it is newer.

I do accept that the cities got electrification first, and the cities will get broadband first...but we pay less for our homes, have cleaner air and nicer views...

Swings and roundabouts...

However, we need an affordable 24/7 flatrate while we wait a long time for something better.

I'd accept that...and see it as part of the downside of country life...

G

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the Wireless option will kick in over the next few years, in the meantime you can share your "water" with the Dubs :D

Advertisement